Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

2 posters

Anyone in or near St. Petersburg?

Anyone in or near St. Petersburg? Empty Anyone in or near St. Petersburg?

Post  Guest Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:09 pm

Hello.  I'm in the USA.  Is anyone in or near St. Petersburg, and willing to be my on-the-ground research assistant?  A contact near Moscow found on the St. Petersburg Archives website a reference to American businessman and gun manufacturer James Merrill (Civil War era) and his involvement in the conversion of 100 Russian rifles or carbines to his patented breech lever system.  There are 44 pages that would very much like to have for my website dedicated to Merrill.  

I've emailed the research person at the St. Petersburg Archives, asking if a staff member (research or intern person) could make photocopies of the 44 pages of information, and maybe translate them for me.

I have not received a reply yet, but well could be due to COVID shut-down.  I'd really like to know if anyone on this forum would be willing to be my backup research person, should they be unable to do the work for me.  Thanks, Eric in USA.

Anyone in or near St. Petersburg? St_pet10
    Anyone in or near St. Petersburg? St_pet11

and via translate.google.com...

Здравствуйте. Я в США. Есть ли кто-нибудь в Санкт-Петербурге или его окрестностях и желает ли быть моим ассистентом на местах? Контактное лицо под Москвой нашло на сайте Санкт-Петербургских архивов ссылку на американского бизнесмена и производителя оружия Джеймса Меррилла (эпоха гражданской войны) и его причастность к переоборудованию 100 российских винтовок или карабинов на его запатентованную систему затвора. Есть 44 страницы, которые я бы очень хотел иметь для моего сайта, посвященного Merrill.

Я отправил электронное письмо исследователю из Санкт-Петербургского архива с вопросом, может ли сотрудник (исследователь или стажер) сделать ксерокопии 44 страниц информации и, возможно, перевести их для меня.

Я еще не получил ответа, но это может быть связано с отключением COVID. Я действительно хотел бы знать, захочет ли кто-нибудь на этом форуме быть моим резервным исследователем, если он не сможет выполнить эту работу за меня. Спасибо, Эрик из США.
    George1
    George1

Anyone in or near St. Petersburg? Empty Re: Anyone in or near St. Petersburg?

Post  George1 Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:27 pm

ewmail15 wrote:Hello.  I'm in the USA.  Is anyone in or near St. Petersburg, and willing to be my on-the-ground research assistant?  A contact near Moscow found on the St. Petersburg Archives website a reference to American businessman and gun manufacturer James Merrill (Civil War era) and his involvement in the conversion of 100 Russian rifles or carbines to his patented breech lever system.  There are 44 pages that would very much like to have for my website dedicated to Merrill.  

I've emailed the research person at the St. Petersburg Archives, asking if a staff member (research or intern person) could make photocopies of the 44 pages of information, and maybe translate them for me.

I have not received a reply yet, but well could be due to COVID shut-down.  I'd really like to know if anyone on this forum would be willing to be my backup research person, should they be unable to do the work for me.  Thanks, Eric in USA.

Anyone in or near St. Petersburg? St_pet10
    Anyone in or near St. Petersburg? St_pet11

and via translate.google.com...

Здравствуйте. Я в США. Есть ли кто-нибудь в Санкт-Петербурге или его окрестностях и желает ли быть моим ассистентом на местах? Контактное лицо под Москвой нашло на сайте Санкт-Петербургских архивов ссылку на американского бизнесмена и производителя оружия Джеймса Меррилла (эпоха гражданской войны) и его причастность к переоборудованию 100 российских винтовок или карабинов на его запатентованную систему затвора. Есть 44 страницы, которые я бы очень хотел иметь для моего сайта, посвященного Merrill.

Я отправил электронное письмо исследователю из Санкт-Петербургского архива с вопросом, может ли сотрудник (исследователь или стажер) сделать ксерокопии 44 страниц информации и, возможно, перевести их для меня.

Я еще не получил ответа, но это может быть связано с отключением COVID. Я действительно хотел бы знать, захочет ли кто-нибудь на этом форуме быть моим резервным исследователем, если он не сможет выполнить эту работу за меня. Спасибо, Эрик из США.

this isnt a page for personnel recruitment
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:40 am

ewmail15 wrote:Hello.  I'm in the USA.  Is anyone in or near St. Petersburg, and willing to be my on-the-ground research assistant?  A contact near Moscow found on the St. Petersburg Archives website a reference to American businessman and gun manufacturer James Merrill (Civil War era) and his involvement in the conversion of 100 Russian rifles or carbines to his patented breech lever system.  There are 44 pages that would very much like to have for my website dedicated to Merrill.  

Well, I live in St. Petersburg. If there's something that requires a physical presence I can make time I guess, but I'm not willing to do any translation work (unless you're willing to handsomely compensate Cool)

If you need me to contact someone and obtain photocopies or electronic versions of the documents I can do that as long as it's not too much hassle with accreditation or whatever. I can also go over them briefly to make sure that they're about the subject matter that interests you.

Post  Guest Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:33 pm

Thanks python. When I hear back from folks at the St. Petersburg Archives and when access is possible, I'll message you from this forum. Eric.
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:19 pm

ewmail15 wrote:Thanks python.  When I hear back from folks at the St. Petersburg Archives and when access is possible, I'll message you from this forum.  Eric.

kk, let me know

Post  Guest Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:47 am

I received a reply.

Post  Guest Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:58 am

from the Director of the Institution...

Post  Guest Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:00 am

and I'd like to see if you (python) would still be willing to visit the St. Petersburg Archives. Need this 10th post so I can IM you...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:06 am