Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+48
Project Canada
JohninMK
Cucumber Khan
victor1985
Svyatoslavich
whir
OminousSpudd
Nikander
Firebird
Prince Darling
PapaDragon
KoTeMoRe
sepheronx
Viktor
Book.
Manov
Karl Haushofer
macedonian
AttilaA
par far
collegeboy16
max steel
Kimppis
zg18
mack8
henriksoder
type055
Hannibal Barca
Regular
Austin
ExBeobachter1987
NationalRus
Mike E
AlfaT8
George1
Cyberspec
GarryB
TheArmenian
Walther von Oldenburg
ahmedfire
Werewolf
flamming_python
TR1
magnumcromagnon
kvs
Kyo
Vann7
higurashihougi
52 posters

Russian Economy General News: #4

sepheronx
    sepheronx

Russian Economy General News: #4 - Page 17 Empty Re: Russian Economy General News: #4

Post  sepheronx Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:58 pm

KoTeMoRe wrote:I think we have a problem here...
    Radio Free Sh** wrote: Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev said on April 21 that the country's economy has lost an estimated 25 billion euros as a result of Western sanctions and that the losses could be "several times" higher this year.

Speaking in his annual report to parliament on the economy, Medvedev said Russia's gross domestic product dropped by about 2 percent in the first quarter of 2015. That drop, if confirmed, would be Russia's first quarterly contraction since the deep recession of 2009.

Medvedev's assessment of Russia's economic situation was starker and more frank than upbeat comments from President Vladimir Putin, who told the nation on April 16 that the economy was "over the worst."

Medvedev said Russia's losses from sanctions imposed by the European Union, the United States, and other countries over Moscow's interference in Ukraine have been "significant -- we won't hide it," and could get worse.

"For the first time in the history of Russia after the collapse of the U.S.S.R....our country has turned out to be under the influence of two external shocks -- a sharp drop in oil prices and unprecedentedly harsh sanctions pressure," he said. "We've never faced such an array of simultaneous challenges."

So how did that become 75 billion?

And how did he get 2% drop when rosstat figures are not out yet?
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Russian Economy General News: #4 - Page 17 Empty Re: Russian Economy General News: #4

Post  flamming_python Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:02 pm

sepheronx wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:I think we have a problem here...
    Radio Free Sh** wrote: Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev said on April 21 that the country's economy has lost an estimated 25 billion euros as a result of Western sanctions and that the losses could be "several times" higher this year.

Speaking in his annual report to parliament on the economy, Medvedev said Russia's gross domestic product dropped by about 2 percent in the first quarter of 2015. That drop, if confirmed, would be Russia's first quarterly contraction since the deep recession of 2009.

Medvedev's assessment of Russia's economic situation was starker and more frank than upbeat comments from President Vladimir Putin, who told the nation on April 16 that the economy was "over the worst."

Medvedev said Russia's losses from sanctions imposed by the European Union, the United States, and other countries over Moscow's interference in Ukraine have been "significant -- we won't hide it," and could get worse.

"For the first time in the history of Russia after the collapse of the U.S.S.R....our country has turned out to be under the influence of two external shocks -- a sharp drop in oil prices and unprecedentedly harsh sanctions pressure," he said. "We've never faced such an array of simultaneous challenges."

So how did that become 75 billion?

And how did he get 2% drop when rosstat figures are not out yet?

Well he is the Prime Minister you know.

But it does smell a little fishy. Weren't the previous indications that the Russian economy supposed to have grown in Q1 2015?
    Kimppis
    Kimppis

Post  Kimppis Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:05 pm

KoTeMoRe wrote:
    Kimppis wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:
    Kimppis wrote:So according to Medvedev, the sanctions are going to cost Russia $75 billion this year, which is "around 5% of the GDP". How is that even possible if the economy is going to decrease by 2-4% and even that is mostly due to oil price?

How is 75 billion 5% of Russian GDP? Is this revised rate and if so how does Medvedev knows how 2015 will end?

Because sanctions are offset to a certain amount and losses FROM sanctions are recouped with local production and diversification.

Little example.

I own shop. You are my main supplier. The trade with you amounts to 5% of my total income. You stop supplying me. I find another supplier, to replace your input.
    But I have lost those 5% anyway.

Well, ask Medvedev. And it's probably true, with the current exchange rate. According to Finnish media, he just said all that like a few days ago.

The revised rate at how much? The current exchange rate sees a 25% hike last year. YOY it is about 45% hike (35vs USD to current 51). Which should if everything stays equal sink the Russian GDP value at about 1.2 trln USD. However as a part of Russian revenue is in hard currency (probably up to 0.6 trillion) this doesn't affect Russia as much.

May I have a source?

http://yle.fi/uutiset/medvedev_pakotteiden_aiheuttama_haitta_moninkertaistuu_tana_vuonna/7945283

So yeah, it's saying basically the same thing as the article that was linked above. And according to Medvedev, 75 billion = 4.8% of the GDP.
    KoTeMoRe
    KoTeMoRe

Post  KoTeMoRe Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:06 pm

I can't get the transcription at the State Duma, will look at the RF PM's site. But something tells me that the 2% is creative editing from Radio Free Europe.

As for the percentage at 1.5% could be the 2014 rate that makes about 1.7 trln Eur (about 2.1 Trln 2014-USD). Nothing weird, just Forex bouncing.
    Kimppis
    Kimppis

Post  Kimppis Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:14 pm

Something doesn't add up, that's for sure. 2-4% (or whatever) decrease in GDP, mostly due to oil price vs. sanctions take "4.8% of GDP".

And last year Russian economy grew by 0.6%, if I'm not mistaken... And even that was mostly because of oil, right? It's not like Russian economy was going to grow 0.6% + 1.5% (Medvedev's figure) + whatever they lost due to oil (which should me way more than the sanctions!) in 2014 before the whole crisis.
    KoTeMoRe
    KoTeMoRe

Post  KoTeMoRe Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:15 pm

Kimppis wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:
    Kimppis wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:
    Kimppis wrote:So according to Medvedev, the sanctions are going to cost Russia $75 billion this year, which is "around 5% of the GDP". How is that even possible if the economy is going to decrease by 2-4% and even that is mostly due to oil price?

How is 75 billion 5% of Russian GDP? Is this revised rate and if so how does Medvedev knows how 2015 will end?

Because sanctions are offset to a certain amount and losses FROM sanctions are recouped with local production and diversification.

Little example.

I own shop. You are my main supplier. The trade with you amounts to 5% of my total income. You stop supplying me. I find another supplier, to replace your input.

Well, ask Medvedev. And it's probably true, with the current exchange rate. According to Finnish media, he just said all that like a few days ago.

The revised rate at how much? The current exchange rate sees a 25% hike last year. YOY it is about 45% hike (35vs USD to current 51). Which should if everything stays equal sink the Russian GDP value at about 1.2 trln USD. However as a part of Russian revenue is in hard currency (probably up to 0.6 trillion) this doesn't affect Russia as much.

May I have a source?

So yeah, it's saying basically the same thing as the article that was linked above. And according to Medvedev, 75 billion = 4.8% of the GDP.

Well Medvedev never said that...

government.ru wrote: However, it is only a fraction of the work done in the Crimean Federal District. I made a point of mentioning this because, apart from funding, Crimea will require our active cooperation in the very near future. This is why we all often go there – both our State Duma colleagues and my colleagues in the Government – not because Crimea has a good climate but because this territory is significantly behind our country. Significantly behind. Our goal is to make up for ground lost in the last 25 years, so that we don’t regret later the decisions that have been made. This is especially important, which is why I opened my presentation with it, despite the fact there was no question about Crimea in the questions that were put to me in writing.

The reunification of Crimea has influenced the economy. There is practically no economic sector that hasn’t been affected by some or other political measures, from the financial sphere and restrictions on access to foreign credit to technology imports. Losses caused by these restrictions are considerable, let’s not conceal them. As estimated by a number of experts, Russia has suffered damage worth about 25 billion euros, or 1.5 percent of the GDP. In 2015, this damage may increase several times over.

But, certainly, the economic consequences of the Crimean decision would have been easier if a number of internal problems had not piled up in the economy, problems that we had failed to solve. And this should be admitted frankly as well. All regions in this country have felt in full measure the repercussions of the deteriorating foreign economic situation and foreign policy upheavals. Budget revenues have sunk, while expenditures have, on the contrary, risen.

Seph can you please go to to government.ru and put the statement link because as a newbie I can't yet do it.

So Free Media strikes again, I though this site would only have "first hand sources" in these matters, to avoid "Ahmadinejading" moments.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:17 pm

Kimppis wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:
    Kimppis wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:

Little example.

May I have a source?

http://yle.fi/uutiset/medvedev_pakotteiden_aiheuttama_haitta_moninkertaistuu_tana_vuonna/7945283

Can you find a none finnish source? I am reading tass and ria and cant find it and they are Russian sources.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:18 pm

KoTeMoRe wrote:
    Kimppis wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:
    Kimppis wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:

Little example.

May I have a source?

Well Medvedev never said that...

government.ru wrote: However, it is only a fraction of the work done in the Crimean Federal District. I made a point of mentioning this because, apart from funding, Crimea will require our active cooperation in the very near future. This is why we all often go there – both our State Duma colleagues and my colleagues in the Government – not because Crimea has a good climate but because this territory is significantly behind our country. Significantly behind. Our goal is to make up for ground lost in the last 25 years, so that we don’t regret later the decisions that have been made. This is especially important, which is why I opened my presentation with it, despite the fact there was no question about Crimea in the questions that were put to me in writing.

The reunification of Crimea has influenced the economy. There is practically no economic sector that hasn’t been affected by some or other political measures, from the financial sphere and restrictions on access to foreign credit to technology imports. Losses caused by these restrictions are considerable, let’s not conceal them. As estimated by a number of experts, Russia has suffered damage worth about 25 billion euros, or 1.5 percent of the GDP. In 2015, this damage may increase several times over.

But, certainly, the economic consequences of the Crimean decision would have been easier if a number of internal problems had not piled up in the economy, problems that we had failed to solve. And this should be admitted frankly as well. All regions in this country have felt in full measure the repercussions of the deteriorating foreign economic situation and foreign policy upheavals. Budget revenues have sunk, while expenditures have, on the contrary, risen.

Seph can you please go to to government.ru and put the statement link because as a newbie I can't yet do it.

So Free Media strikes again, I though this site would only have "first hand sources" in these matters, to avoid "Ahmadinejading" moments.

Pleasr pm me. Ill do it but im on my phone at work atm.
    Kimppis
    Kimppis

Post  Kimppis Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:19 pm

sepheronx wrote:I am also curious how it will cost Russia money when they cannot buy western goods? Can someone explain that to me? Was the import business worth $75B? Cause when you purchase your own made goods, you GAIN revenue. Logically, what your media ia claiming that medvedev said, sure does not sound right. $75B, does that also include debt repayment? If so, that doesnt count.

Aaand... exactly. Why talk about GDP percentages? Doesn't make much sense.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:22 pm

Kimppis wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:I am also curious how it will cost Russia money when they cannot buy western goods? Can someone explain that to me? Was the import business worth $75B? Cause when you purchase your own made goods, you GAIN revenue. Logically, what your media ia claiming that medvedev said, sure does not sound right. $75B, does that also include debt repayment? If so, that doesnt count.

Thats OK bro. Seems finnish media and radio free garbage striked again as Kotemor proved it wrong.
    KoTeMoRe
    KoTeMoRe

Post  KoTeMoRe Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:23 pm

Kimppis wrote:Something doesn't add up, that's for sure. 2-4% (or whatever) decrease in GDP, mostly due to oil price vs. sanctions take "4.8% of GDP".

And last year Russian economy grew by 0.6%, if I'm not mistaken... And even that was mostly because of oil, right? It's not like Russian economy was going to grow 0.6% + 1.5% (Medvedev's figure) + whatever they lost due to oil (which should me way more than the sanctions!) in 2014 before the whole crisis.

The economy grew because of State intervention yes. And because the Oil prices were well above the 90 USD threshold up until November. Furthermore the USD started appreciating last winter which in return gave the Russian fund more value in regards to Euro. That probably was used by wealthy Russians to bet against RUB and EUR.

So basically indeed the Ru economy was going to do a lot better if everything would have stayed the same (oil over 115 USD and Euro at 1.25 vs USD). Because unlike you might think Russia has expanded its oil exports albeit the oil costs less.

KoTeMoRe
    KoTeMoRe

Post  KoTeMoRe Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:30 pm

Kimppis wrote:

It made sense for 2014, doesn't make sense for 2015.

To see the original statement go to government.ru then look for "Government report on its performance in 2014".

You'll see that no good crisis goes to waste.
    Kimppis
    Kimppis

Post  Kimppis Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:33 pm

KoTeMoRe wrote:The economy grew because of State intervention yes. And because the Oil prices were well above the 90 USD threshold up until November. Furthermore the USD started appreciating last winter which in return gave the Russian fund more value in regards to Euro. That probably was used by wealthy Russians to bet against RUB and EUR.

So basically indeed the Ru economy was going to do a lot better if everything would have stayed the same (oil over 115 USD and Euro at 1.25 vs USD). Because unlike you might think Russia has expanded its oil exports albeit the oil costs less.

Oh yes, absolute the growth would've been better, but not THAT (1.5% all due to sanctions, as Medvedev put it) much.

So he never said anything about 75% and 4.8%? What the fuck?

My translation:
    Last year sanctions took 25 billion from the Russian economy. This year the effect could be high as 75 billion. This would be equivalent of 4.8% of the country's GDP, Medvedev said.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:36 pm

Nope. Looks like Finnish media added that in.
    KoTeMoRe
    KoTeMoRe

Post  KoTeMoRe Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:36 pm

Go to government.ru, check for "Government report on its performance in 2014"

See by yourself.

Even a lowbob like me will not make definite predictions let alone the PM of a 150 million country.
    Kimppis
    Kimppis

Post  Kimppis Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:40 pm

KoTeMoRe wrote:To see the original statement go to government.ru then look for "Government report on its performance in 2014".

You'll see that no good crisis goes to waste.

Thanks for the link. Didn't even no such a site existed in English. Smile

And to answer my own question: No, there's not a word about "75 billion" or "4.8%". Atleast not in that article.

Kimppis
    Kimppis

Post  Kimppis Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:41 pm

KoTeMoRe wrote:Go to government.ru, check for "Government report on its performance in 2014"

See by yourself.

Even a lowbob like me will not make definite predictions let alone the PM of a 150 million country.

New replies coming in fast. Can't keep track anymore. Smile
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:42 pm

KoTeMoRe wrote:Go to government.ru, check for "Government report on its performance in 2014"

See by yourself.

I went through Tass, Sputnik and Ria on 21 of this month and found nothing mentioned of $75B or 5% of gdp mentioned by Medvedev. Add to that$75B isnt 5% of GDP, so the numbers are clearly off.
    KoTeMoRe
    KoTeMoRe

Post  KoTeMoRe Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:52 pm

I think I know where the 4.8% comes from.

We have some slick motherf.... at one of the Press agencies am Westen.

Dmitry said that indeed there was a 2% fall in GDP this year from january to march

government.ru wrote:These negative trends continued into this year. In January-March 2015, GDP declined by approximately two percent and industrial production by 0.4 percent from the first quarter of last year.

Some creative people have quartered in and voila. 20 billion USD per quarter and you have your 80 billion. Given idiots don't know about fluctuating, you have the famous 2%, 2%, 2%, 2%.

Now about oil and gas?

government.ru wrote:Oil production has stabilised at about 527 million [metric] tonnes, a slight growth on the previous period. This level is enough to meet our own needs and our exports.

Natural gas production is 640 billion cubic metres. There was a slight fall, but we reached an agreement to build a new gas pipeline to Turkey and Greece, as you know, instead of South Stream. A breakthrough 30-year contract was signed on gas supplies to China. A section of the pipeline to China along the Sila Sibiri [Siberian Might] eastern route is under construction.

Now, a few words about the transport sector. It was largely thanks to state support that air transport continued to grow, including, which is especially important, on domestic routes – something we have been working on in recent years and which we finally managed to restore. Excluding Moscow, domestic air transport was up 22 percent, with over 10 million passengers carried. A total of 93 million people used air transport, which is 110 percent on 2013. Let me remind you that under the priority measures for domestic air travel, we set a 10 percent VAT rate to support carriers and therefore support our passengers.

The situation in the commuter railway service was difficult. Under the priority action plan, a zero VAT rate was introduced for this sector. The situation has on the whole stabilised and is under control.

I think RD needs a full time bombproofing for Russian news. Because the Free Press is always creative.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:57 pm

So then where did the supposed 0.8% gdp growth Q1 came from?
    KoTeMoRe
    KoTeMoRe

Post  KoTeMoRe Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:04 pm

Probably "real growth"...Just like with Poland in 2009.

Speculative moments have this amazing ability to create growth from nothing fro short amounts. So In december and february you had a bounce.

And the World bank said the same...

sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:07 pm

KoTeMoRe wrote:Probably "real growth"...Just like with Poland in 2009.

Speculative moments have this amazing ability to create growth from nothing fro short amounts. So In december and february you had a bounce.

And the World bank said the same...

World bank said 2% drop? Ouch. Guess they will need to figure something out.
    Kimppis
    Kimppis

Post  Kimppis Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:10 pm

TBH, even -2% is pretty damn good overall, considering the first quarter was supposed to be the worst. "Collapse of the Russian economy", indeed.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:14 pm

Kimppis wrote:TBH, even -2% is pretty damn good overall, considering the first quarter was supposed to be the worst. "Collapse of the Russian economy", indeed.

Yes, you are right. In 2008 - 2009 Russian GDP droped by about 9% and no sanctions involved. 2% drop in Q1 and most stated worst is over (bloomberg acknowledged which is strange really) gives the indication they have really weathered it, but should push hard now. They need stability but guess the investments will take time to profit off of so we may not see things to really rebound till late this year or early next.
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:17 pm

Russia and Argentina signed 5bin $ worth energy deal

LINK

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 2:06 am