Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+48
Project Canada
JohninMK
Cucumber Khan
victor1985
Svyatoslavich
whir
OminousSpudd
Nikander
Firebird
Prince Darling
PapaDragon
KoTeMoRe
sepheronx
Viktor
Book.
Manov
Karl Haushofer
macedonian
AttilaA
par far
collegeboy16
max steel
Kimppis
zg18
mack8
henriksoder
type055
Hannibal Barca
Regular
Austin
ExBeobachter1987
NationalRus
Mike E
AlfaT8
George1
Cyberspec
GarryB
TheArmenian
Walther von Oldenburg
ahmedfire
Werewolf
flamming_python
TR1
magnumcromagnon
kvs
Kyo
Vann7
higurashihougi
52 posters

Russian Economy General News: #4

Project Canada

Russian Economy General News: #4 - Page 40 Empty Re: Russian Economy General News: #4

Post  Project Canada Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:08 pm

sepheronx wrote:
    Project Canada wrote:PM Medvedev to personally head future govt commission on import replacement

http://www.rt.com/politics/311550-pm-medvedev-to-personally-head/

Medvedev was a lousy leader, all Mr.iPhone.  I have little faith in him and his abilities.  It would be better to get someone in the intelligence agency instead.  But I figure he will be nothing more than a figure head.

Sure, its clear from the beginning that he is just Putin's temporary replacement for the post of presidency. Now I wonder which Russian politician will be best to replace Putin when his term ends? Russia needs someone who has more guts than Putin, someone who is willing to escalate things and make NATO back down and think twice before messing up with RF and its interests.

EDIT: about Medvedev, I think he deserves credit for his attempts to introduce innovations and technologies into the Russian market (skolkovo etc)

BTW I wasnt able to access sputniknews website for hours now, 503 Service unavailable it says, any chance its been hacked by Maidan? Shocked
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Russian Economy General News: #4 - Page 40 Empty Re: Russian Economy General News: #4

Post  sepheronx Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:24 pm

Innovations? Technologies? All of this was long before Medvedev. He wanted to turn Russia into a similar market like China. He failed to understand though that Russia's market is still quite small compared to the others and that jumping to the whole "iPhones of Russia" cannot happen as they are far too late in the market. Although, it seems Russian brands have become popular back home simply due to being cheaper and still effective. Yota devices has the chance to become a major player too.

There are others that can replace Putin. I think it was mentioned that an Ivanov of the intelligence agency or head of FSB (whichever) is a possibility.
    Karl Haushofer

Post  Karl Haushofer Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:51 pm

sepheronx wrote:
    There are others that can replace Putin.  I think it was mentioned that an Ivanov of the intelligence agency or head of FSB (whichever) is a possibility.
    Isn't Ivanov about the same age with Putin? I would like to have someone younger. Putin himself was just 47 when he first became the president.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:53 pm

Karl Haushofer wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:
    There are others that can replace Putin.  I think it was mentioned that an Ivanov of the intelligence agency or head of FSB (whichever) is a possibility.
    Isn't Ivanov about the same age with Putin? I would like to have someone younger. Putin himself was just 47 when he first became the president.

It is possible.

Not many young people are politicians. A lot of them that are, are people like Navalny which isn't a good choice.

Guaranteed there are others. Some of the other younger politicians that are part of the Fair Russia party scare me. They are far more hardlined than what people claim Putin to be.
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:33 pm

sepheronx wrote:Innovations? Technologies?  All of this was long before Medvedev.  He wanted to turn Russia into a similar market like China.  He failed to understand though that Russia's market is still quite small compared to the others and that jumping to the whole "iPhones of Russia" cannot happen as they are far too late in the market.  Although, it seems Russian brands have become popular back home simply due to being cheaper and still effective.  Yota devices has the chance to become a major player too.

Ivanov? Butthead?

Who the hell has even heard from him, for like - the last 8 years?
    Prince Darling

Post  Prince Darling Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:53 pm

flamming_python wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:Innovations? Technologies?  All of this was long before Medvedev.  He wanted to turn Russia into a similar market like China.  He failed to understand though that Russia's market is still quite small compared to the others and that jumping to the whole "iPhones of Russia" cannot happen as they are far too late in the market.  Although, it seems Russian brands have become popular back home simply due to being cheaper and still effective.  Yota devices has the chance to become a major player too.

Ivanov? Butthead?

Who the hell has even heard from him, for like - the last 8 years?

To be honest for me he is a master of behind the scenes of russian high politics and would probably function best in such positions.

A Medvedev type politician balancing power in between factions behind the scenes with the likes of Ivanov after Putin is the best option in my opinion
    Neutrality
    Neutrality

Post  Neutrality Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:30 pm

Prince Darling wrote:
    Neutrality wrote:
    Hannibal Barca wrote:Yes but this doesn't hide the fact that Russian economy is laughably dependent on oil revenues. It is even more dependent than most undeveloped countries, Africa producers etc.
    Like some forum members yap about in the Syria thread some things seems like never change in Russia. Putin collected the low fruits with ease in the early 2000s but now it's time for bigger steps and I simply don't see them.

Oh please, enough of that low-level bait already. Oil doesn't magically appear out of the ground by itself and then proceeds to put itself on a ship and export to other countries. It requires many highly sophisticated industries. You do understand that oil isn't only used for fuels? Just look into how many chemical products have a basis in oil and gas. As an extra, Russian oil is much harder to obtain than oil in Arab countries where it literally flies out of the ground as soon as its drilled through. So Russia has massive fossil reserves. What's wrong with using them to boost the economy? Can you explain that logic to me? Should we praise the financial sector in the UK as its most "exported" product instead? The largest US corporations delocate their businesses to low level income countries like China, produce nothing at home at all but their government takes their numbers into their GDP simply because their HQ is located somewhere in Washington or NYC. That's highly misleading IMHO. Or is China "laughably dependent" on cheap labour too?  

he isnt saying its wrong to exploit natural resources, the trouble is that exploiting natural resources represents a very big part of russian economy, so when there is a global slowdown, russia will always get hit, by falling oil/gas/metals prices. A huge problem is that obviously investing in oil/gas projects have a nice return (when the price is high), so there isn't enough money available to invest huge sums into modernizing manufactoring industries, and i am not talking just about machines, but investing in people and new ways of working, this is much harder and longterm process.

But this is the curse of more or less every oil producing country, some manage this predicament well like norway, some soo soo like most arab oil producers, and some just flat out fail like Venezuela (lets be honest incompetent Maduro is also a massive factor)

Ever heard of synergy? Everything is connected to eachother on the global scale nowadays. When the world's leading economies begin to slowdown, they drag all other countries with them, regardless whether country X has high oil exports. Remind me again, what caused the global economy crash in 2008? I don't remember declining oil prices had anything to do with that. I do, though, remember clearly that it CAUSED the global oil price to go down. It's not Russia, that is "very dependent" on oil revenues ,who has a problem. Countries that are plagued with financial problems have problem.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:45 pm

Yes but this doesn't hide the fact that Russian economy is laughably dependent on oil revenues.

What are you trying to say?

There is a chap who lives down the street from me who is a lawyer... and a very good one by all accounts... he has plenty of money... big house... several nice cars.... Yes but this doesn't hide the fact that he is laughably dependent on revenues he earns defending people in court...

Hmm, sounds a bit stupid to me.

Making a strength sound like a fault is pretty dumb... any western country that had oil and gas in the volumes the Russians seem to have it would not be seen as a weakness... it would be a strength... they would suddenly no longer be so dependent on the Middle East...

But this is Russia so lets call it a weakness.

Hint: It only becomes a weakness when there is no demand and they have no use for it... you know, like an abundance of foreign debt, of chronic unemployment and an aging population.
    Neutrality
    Neutrality

Post  Neutrality Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:23 pm

Norway, by the way, also has a massive oil and gas export. Why is no one bitching about them? I guess it's cool and hip to hate on Russia today.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:48 pm

I would prefer Putin for another term....  communism has a lot of problems but stability of rule was not one of them.

Having changes in policy and direction every 3-5 years is not actually that good for most countries... I see democracy as having a ship sailing from Europe to the US and changing captains every 3-5 days... some captains want to go to the new world and others think it is better to go back to Europe... the actual result is that you get a ship in the middle of the atlantic changing direction twice a week and never likely to get anywhere.

What some here call guts, I call stupidity... Putin is not stupid to try to antagonise the west... only an idiot would pick on the biggest and strongest bully that is vastly stronger than they are. Just because Russia has the power to not lose the fight doesn't mean they should start it or encourage it to happen because in spite of being sure they can defeat their enemies their enemies are sure to defeat them.... and eye for an eye and we all end up blind...  Rolling Eyes
    Karl Haushofer

Post  Karl Haushofer Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:13 pm

Neutrality wrote:Norway, by the way, also has a massive oil and gas export. Why is no one bitching about them? I guess it's cool and hip to hate on Russia today.
    Norway would be a wealthy country even without oil. Oil just makes Norway a filthy rich instead of a wealthy country.
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:47 pm

Karl Haushofer wrote:
    Neutrality wrote:Norway, by the way, also has a massive oil and gas export. Why is no one bitching about them? I guess it's cool and hip to hate on Russia today.
    Norway would be a wealthy country even without oil. Oil just makes Norway a filthy rich instead of a wealthy country.

They also have ridiculously high taxes, and a ridiculously high cost of living. Very few people are considered wealthy in Norway, the high wages is basically negated with high taxes, interlocked in a dance called 'zero-sum gain' tango.
    Maximmmm
    Maximmmm

Post  Maximmmm Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:56 pm

^ Lots of atomic news lately. Rosatom has built up a very impressive order book, managed to prove the post-fukushima doomsayers wrong.
    Karl Haushofer

Post  Karl Haushofer Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:59 pm

magnumcromagnon wrote:
    Karl Haushofer wrote:

They also have ridiculously high taxes, and a ridiculously high cost of living. Very few people are considered wealthy in Norway, the high wages is basically negated with high taxes, interlocked in a dance called 'zero-sum gain' tango.

They have high taxes because they can afford that. They use the tax money for infrastructure and ridiculously beneficial social benefits.

I have been to Norway. It is a paradise even compared to Finland.
    Neutrality
    Neutrality

Post  Neutrality Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:44 am

Karl Haushofer wrote:
    magnumcromagnon wrote:
    Karl Haushofer wrote:

They have high taxes because they can afford that. They use the tax money for infrastructure and ridiculously beneficial social benefits.

What are you talking about? What would be the locomotive behind high Norwegian wages then? Fish trade? Good luck with that.
    Karl Haushofer

Post  Karl Haushofer Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:45 am

Neutrality wrote:
    Karl Haushofer wrote:
    magnumcromagnon wrote:
    Karl Haushofer wrote:

What are you talking about? What would be the locomotive behind high Norwegian wages then? Fish trade? Good luck with that.

Norway was a wealthy country even before the current oil boom. Without oil Norway would be a tad below Sweden and Denmark and about the same level with Finland.

-------

https://www.russiadefence.net/viewtopic.forum?t=7462

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:07 pm