Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Possibility of S-400 to intercept successfully a RS-24 Yars

    Share
    avatar
    Deep Throat
    Corporal
    Corporal

    Posts : 97
    Points : 127
    Join date : 2013-05-22

    Possibility of S-400 to intercept successfully a RS-24 Yars

    Post  Deep Throat on Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:38 am

    Is it possible for the S 400 to successfully intercept a RS 24 Yars as it carries 4 MIRVs that are manoeuvrable ?
    avatar
    Stealthflanker
    Captain
    Captain

    Posts : 798
    Points : 882
    Join date : 2009-08-04
    Age : 29
    Location : Indonesia

    Re: Possibility of S-400 to intercept successfully a RS-24 Yars

    Post  Stealthflanker on Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:06 pm



    I think intercepting ICBM's are the job of larger system like Gorgon and Gazzelle.

    While S-400's are to intercept smaller TBM and IRBM's
    avatar
    gaurav
    Master Sergeant
    Master Sergeant

    Posts : 319
    Points : 319
    Join date : 2013-02-19
    Age : 37
    Location : Blr

    Re: Possibility of S-400 to intercept successfully a RS-24 Yars

    Post  gaurav on Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:06 pm

    Gorgon missile were retired in 2007 some time.

    Gazelle missles are short range.

    This topic is very classifid till now.
    The Russian air force has said that it will start testing S-400 against "ICBM classs" targets
    in 2015.

    Actually the S-400 regiments are still in deployment stage they have not been fielded in sufficent
    quantities.

    But no words are heard from MoD about the capabilities of S-400.
    Although we know that S-400 radar has capacity to rival the best of ABM radars in the world.


    Russia’s missile-attack warning radars are far superior to any foreign counterparts, a top defense official said Friday.
    Russia has an “absolute lead,” “no one else can match these stations,” Deputy Defense Minister Yury Borisov said after visiting a Voronezh-M radar in Siberia’s Irkutsk Region.
    The Voronezh-M has greatly surpassed previous-generation systems, in particular the Dnepr, the official said, adding that the Voronezh-M had a range of 6,500 kilometers, higher resolution and a broader field of vision.
    The radar system will “reliably protect our southeastern sector and the northeastern part of the Pacific,” he said.
    His comments echoed ones last month by General Staff chief Valery Gerasimov, who said Russia was building a new aerospace defense system that would guarantee detection of enemy ballistic and long-range cruise missiles at blastoff.

    russian ABM radars are best
    avatar
    SOC
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

    Posts : 583
    Points : 632
    Join date : 2011-09-13
    Age : 39
    Location : Indianapolis

    Re: Possibility of S-400 to intercept successfully a RS-24 Yars

    Post  SOC on Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:54 am

    Deep Throat wrote:Is it possible for the S 400 to successfully intercept a RS 24 Yars as it carries 4 MIRVs that are manoeuvrable ?

    Probably not. Those are moving much faster than SRBM/MRBM-class targets. Also, that would basically defeat the purpose of the S-500, which will deal with targets with speeds up to orbital velocity, as in LEO satellites. The mechanics, and therefore the system components required, are very different when trying to intercept something with ICBM velocities.
    avatar
    Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5669
    Points : 6318
    Join date : 2009-08-25
    Age : 36
    Location : Croatia

    Re: Possibility of S-400 to intercept successfully a RS-24 Yars

    Post  Viktor on Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:26 am

    Definitely no. RS-24 moves with much higher speeds that S-400 can not catch and process.

    Austin
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 6092
    Points : 6498
    Join date : 2010-05-08
    Location : India

    Re: Possibility of S-400 to intercept successfully a RS-24 Yars

    Post  Austin on Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:35 am

    I doubt even the S-500 would be able to intercept an RS-24 which is primarily designed to deal with ABM threats if you have a fair competition.

    Intercepting a Passive MIRV would be something S-500 will be upto if one can exclude decoys and stuff.
    avatar
    Deep Throat
    Corporal
    Corporal

    Posts : 97
    Points : 127
    Join date : 2013-05-22

    Re: Possibility of S-400 to intercept successfully a RS-24 Yars

    Post  Deep Throat on Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:25 pm

    Austin wrote:I doubt even the S-500 would be able to intercept an RS-24 which is primarily designed to deal with ABM threats if you have a fair competition.

    Intercepting a Passive MIRV would be something S-500 will be upto if one can exclude decoys and stuff.

    Yes . I too do not think that the S 500 can successfully intercept a RS 24 Yars.
    avatar
    SOC
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

    Posts : 583
    Points : 632
    Join date : 2011-09-13
    Age : 39
    Location : Indianapolis

    Re: Possibility of S-400 to intercept successfully a RS-24 Yars

    Post  SOC on Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:02 pm

    Deep Throat wrote:
    Austin wrote:I doubt even the S-500 would be able to intercept an RS-24 which is primarily designed to deal with ABM threats if you have a fair competition.

    Intercepting a Passive MIRV would be something S-500 will be upto if one can exclude decoys and stuff.
    Yes . I too do not think that the S 500 can successfully intercept a RS 24 Yars.
    It's certainly debatable whether the S-500 would be able to kill an RS-24. One has to remember that they're both Russian products, so the S-500 designers could have access to RS-24 MIRV information allowing them to incorporate the ability to defeat that class of target in case the US deploys something similar if there's ever a replacement for the Minuteman III. The S-500 should definitely be able to handle the speed, it's the maneuvering ability that'd have to be countered.

    Austin
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 6092
    Points : 6498
    Join date : 2010-05-08
    Location : India

    Re: Possibility of S-400 to intercept successfully a RS-24 Yars

    Post  Austin on Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:05 pm

    Manouvering , Decoys both in numbers with the 3rd dimension Time to complete the circle.
    avatar
    Sujoy
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

    Posts : 904
    Points : 1070
    Join date : 2012-04-02
    Location : India

    Re: Possibility of S-400 to intercept successfully a RS-24 Yars

    Post  Sujoy on Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:00 pm

    The easiest and most cost effective counter measures that the Yars can use against interceptor missile fired by the S 400 or S 500 are inflatable balloon decoys .Since  the missile defense interceptors are designed to strike warheads during mid course in the vacuum of space these balloons and any warheads would be traveling together, making it impossible to tell the decoys apart from the real thing.

    Just inflating the balloons near the interceptor missile would confuse the defense system, swamping it with fake signals. If the defensive system cannot discriminate between a warhead and the many decoys, it won’t work.

    If the S 500 has a mid course guidance datalink then theoretically you could program it to use that the entire way, and just remove the homing head. It's basically operating as a command-guided weapon during midcourse anyway. The drawback is that you're potentially less accurate over longer ranges depending on the capability of your radar. That could be a big deal with a smaller warhead.

    The Yars   warhead ( like most other MIRVs) is designed for reentry with heat resistant ablative shells and are slim aerodynamic shapes that need to be smashed... a glancing blow is not sufficient. ICBM warheads are also accompanied by decoys and jammers and stealth coatings etc etc .It all boils down to tracking. MIRV/MaRV are flying a relatively unstable and unpredictable path. Yars warheads are designed for low drag entry not just to engage hard targets but more importantly to defeat  terminal-phase missile defenses.
    avatar
    flamming_python
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3202
    Points : 3316
    Join date : 2012-01-30

    Re: Possibility of S-400 to intercept successfully a RS-24 Yars

    Post  flamming_python on Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:10 pm

    SOC wrote:
    Deep Throat wrote:
    Austin wrote:I doubt even the S-500 would be able to intercept an RS-24 which is primarily designed to deal with ABM threats if you have a fair competition.

    Intercepting a Passive MIRV would be something S-500 will be upto if one can exclude decoys and stuff.
    Yes . I too do not think that the S 500 can successfully intercept a RS 24 Yars.
    It's certainly debatable whether the S-500 would be able to kill an RS-24.  One has to remember that they're both Russian products, so the S-500 designers could have access to RS-24 MIRV information allowing them to incorporate the ability to defeat that class of target in case the US deploys something similar if there's ever a replacement for the Minuteman III.  The S-500 should definitely be able to handle the speed, it's the maneuvering ability that'd have to be countered.
    Neither the S-400 nor S-500 are rated against ICBMs; certainly not the generation of the RS-24.
    They were not designed to be able to intercept such missiles.
    So let's say Almaz-Antey has access to the RS-24 project team, algorithm specifications, precise technical details, etc...
    And so what? Why would they bother trying to get the S-400/500 to be able to intercept RS-24 missiles; when Russia is the only country with RS-24s anyway?
    Sounds like a waste of time.

    They certainly don't have access to all the US Minuteman and other foreign ICBM data.
    So even a weapon capable of intercepting a Russian ICBM won't be able to handle an American ICBM; if what it relies on to do so is inside knowledge about Russian missile specifics.

    Having said that - mind you the S-500 is slated to have at least some level of anti-ABM capability. But it's too early to speculate on that - its precise ABM capabilities are a closely guarded secret and will likely remain so.
    avatar
    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 16054
    Points : 16685
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Possibility of S-400 to intercept successfully a RS-24 Yars

    Post  GarryB on Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:21 am

    S-500 is an ABM system and will have specs that should allow it to engage standard ICBM reentry vehicles.

    Having said that - mind you the S-500 is slated to have at least some level of anti-ABM capability. But it's too early to speculate on that - its precise ABM capabilities are a closely guarded secret and will likely remain so.
    S-500 will have no AABM capability and will not be deployed close enough to an ABM system to interfere with it anyway...

    RS-24 is an ICBM but is designed to evade ABM interceptor missiles... S-500 is an ABM interceptor missile so assuming they have done their job S-500 should be unable in its first models to intercept RS-24 like weapons.


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    avatar
    SOC
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

    Posts : 583
    Points : 632
    Join date : 2011-09-13
    Age : 39
    Location : Indianapolis

    Re: Possibility of S-400 to intercept successfully a RS-24 Yars

    Post  SOC on Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:13 am

    flamming_python wrote:Neither the S-400 nor S-500 are rated against ICBMs; certainly not the generation of the RS-24.
    The S-500 is both an ABM and a LEO ASAT.  People seemingly insisting that it's only a repeat of the S-400's 40N6 long-range SAM capability are ignorant of the entire set of information available.

    flamming_python wrote:And so what? Why would they bother trying to get the S-400/500 to be able to intercept RS-24 missiles; when Russia is the only country with RS-24s anyway?
    Sounds like a waste of time.
    Right up until the USA or China figures out or deploys MaRVs.  Then the effort will have been worth it.  Otherwise, you're never progressing.  It helps to try and defend against the projected future threat, not just currently available systems.

    flamming_python wrote:They certainly don't have access to all the US Minuteman and other foreign ICBM data.
    They certainly can put ships in the Pacific, Atlantic, etc. and track RV reentry angles and velocities.  Which are about all that matters right now without foreign MaRVs.

    flamming_python wrote:So even a weapon capable of intercepting a Russian ICBM won't be able to handle an American ICBM; if what it relies on to do so is inside knowledge about Russian missile specifics.
    They shot down SS-4s, SCUDs, and others during testing to evaluate the S-300P series in the ATBM role.  By your logic, that means they cannot defeat any non-Russian made TBMs.  That's obviously false and a complete misrepresentation of how developing this or any other capability would actually work.

    flamming_python wrote:Having said that - mind you the S-500 is slated to have at least some level of anti-ABM capability.
    What're they going to do, deploy it off the coast of Alaska to shoot down GBI?

    flamming_python wrote:But it's too early to speculate on that - its precise ABM capabilities are a closely guarded secret and will likely remain so.
    Except when various industry and MoD officials come right out and say it.[/quote]
    avatar
    flamming_python
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3202
    Points : 3316
    Join date : 2012-01-30

    Possibility of S-400 to intercept successfully a RS-24 Yars

    Post  flamming_python on Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:36 am

    GarryB wrote:S-500 is an ABM system and will have specs that should allow it to engage standard ICBM reentry vehicles.

    Having said that - mind you the S-500 is slated to have at least some level of anti-ABM capability. But it's too early to speculate on that - its precise ABM capabilities are a closely guarded secret and will likely remain so.
    S-500 will have no AABM capability and will not be deployed close enough to an ABM system to interfere with it anyway...

    RS-24 is an ICBM but is designed to evade ABM interceptor missiles... S-500 is an ABM interceptor missile so assuming they have done their job S-500 should be unable in its first models to intercept RS-24 like weapons.
    Whoops I mean ABM capability not anti-ABM

    Sponsored content

    Re: Possibility of S-400 to intercept successfully a RS-24 Yars

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:03 pm