Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

USAF active military aircraft numbers

franco

USAF active military aircraft numbers

Post  franco on Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:43 am

USAF aircraft totals and serviceability rates just for some comparison.

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/2576114.html
    hoom

Re: USAF active military aircraft numbers

Post  hoom on Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:25 am

Was just gonna post that.

Its pretty interesting, some types they have fewer than I'd have thought, others far far more.

Also kinda deceptive, I see 200 F15s & think 'Oh that's not so many' but then there are another 250 so its actually 450...
    Then 150 F16 sounds OK until I notice the other 800 that my eyes skipped over pale

Had no idea they had anywhere near as many C-17s as that Shocked
    Must have retired C-5?
    And completely crazy numbers of KC-135.

But then for full picture you need to add helicopters, Marines & Navy (I wonder if they're including Air National Guard in these numbers?) and then the total numbers become mind bending.

marcellogo

Post  marcellogo on Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:59 pm

hoom wrote:Was just gonna post that.

Its pretty interesting, some types they have fewer than I'd have thought, others far far more.

Also kinda deceptive, I see 200 F15s & think 'Oh that's not so many' but then there are another 250 so its actually 450...
    Then 150 F16 sounds OK until I notice the other 800 that my eyes skipped over  pale

Must have retired C-5?

But then for full picture you need to add helicopters, Marines & Navy (I wonder if they're including Air National Guard in these numbers?) and then the total numbers become mind bending.

You are making confusion between planes: F-15C is an air superiority fighter i.e. the equivalent of Su-27, F-15E is a strike plane i.e. something like a Su- 34 or better a Su-30 with primary A2G role.
    F-15D and F-16D are OCU trainers so the equivalent of Su-30mk2 or any previous U market planes.planes (but retaining some operative characteristics).
    Kimppis

Post  Kimppis on Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:22 pm

hoom wrote:Was just gonna post that.

Then 150 F16 sounds OK until I notice the other 800 that my eyes skipped over  pale

Must have retired C-5?

Of course. Those assets are absolutely required for "US-style" power projection and they don't come cheap. The US is far away from Eurasia.

I think Air National Guard is included, not 100% sure though. If you include everything (Navy + Marines), I think the total is something like 3000 "fighters", or atleast pretty close, 2500+.
    Singular_Transform

Post  Singular_Transform on Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:46 am

Best part of the US fighter stock old clunker, from the cold war.
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:35 pm

The secret to the C-17s success is what they are trying with the F-35.

Make the factories that make all the parts in economically depressed areas so members of congress with rubber stamp new production orders to keep workers in their areas working and happy.

The Pentagon stopped asking for C-17s because Congress would order new production models every year without the Pentagon having to even ask... super successful.

Except this arrangement also made them super expensive... but you could turn that around and say they are an investment of money to depressed areas of the US... so think of it as welfare...

The C-17 is no better than an Il-476 yet costs 5-10 times more...

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    kvs

Post  kvs on Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:49 pm

GarryB wrote:The secret to the C-17s success is what they are trying with the F-35.

Make the factories that make all the parts in economically depressed areas so members of congress with rubber stamp new production orders to keep workers in their areas working and happy.

The Pentagon stopped asking for C-17s because Congress would order new production models every year without the Pentagon having to even ask... super successful.

Except this arrangement also made them super expensive... but you could turn that around and say they are an investment of money to depressed areas of the US... so think of it as welfare...

The C-17 is no better than an Il-476 yet costs 5-10 times more...

Pretty much every US military item costs 5-10 times more than its Russian analogue.    People forget this when taking into account the
    actual size of Russia's military (i.e. the Russian military budget has to be multiplied by 5-10 times to get a fair comparison).   This is dangerous
    for Russia since retarded US and EU politicians think they can steam roll over Russia.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:49 pm