Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Cost per Flight Hour of Military Aircraft

Stealthflanker

Post  Stealthflanker on Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:19 am

Greetings everyone .

Whenever i read about military plane procurements especially fighter aircrafts, be it in military forum or magazines .. i'm always found a variable called "Cost/ flight hour" or sometimes called as "DOC (Direct Operating Cost) per flight hours" .. and some comparisons ..like say.. F-15 has DOC/flight hour of xxxx U$ much cheaper than other planes.

Now my question is "How this costs is calculated ?"

As far as i can found in Literature ..the only method i can found to calculate that "cost/flight hour" is for Commercial airliners.

Well any suggestions or hopefully good books would be appreciated Very Happy

GarryB

Re: Cost per Flight Hour of Military Aircraft

Post  GarryB on Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:00 am

It is the combination of fuel burned and the ground maintainence time per hour of flight.

A real example is the Mig-21 costs about $6,000 per flight hour. This is because parts are cheap and plentiful and maintainence is cheap and easy.

More modern aircraft have internal diagnostic systems and testing systems that will not only generate a little report saying what is working and what isn't, but the new systems will actually shut down a system with a problem and bypass the data going to that component to another system to try to do the job.

Prices will also change due to sanctions like Venezuelas F-16s, and of course as technology moves on the older stuff becomes harder and harder to get, which also means more expensive.

For instance... try to get a video tape recorder now... not as easy as one would think... or try to buy a 5 1/4th inch floppy disk.
    A Mig-29 from the mid 1980s might need its software on a floppy disk that costs $10 a disk now even though it is completely obsolete for data storage.

Pervius

Post  Pervius on Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:18 pm

Neither Russia or America can afford people....people are needed to support military hardware. China's got the best cost-per-flight-hour formula now. They can afford people.

That's what the formula is all about.

The aircraft with the worst cost-per-flight-hour= B-2 Spirit Bomber.

You could say it was the biggest blunder of any military aircraft that will ever, ever be built (unless they declassify the other accident of a classified airframe).

---it's blueprints were handed to China and other countries by Noshir Gowadia, the Indian engineer Northrup hired to work on it.

---the B-2 crash on Guam...plane belly flopped 100% intact smack dab in the middle of the airfield. Nothing salvageable. Burnt for 6+ hours before Guam Fire Department got there to put it out.

Which is why America's going unmanned remote control or artificial intelligence smaller cheaper airframes. Can't afford people.

In some countries if a pilot lands his fighter plane or bomber with the wheels up, damaging the plane trying to land it...the Wing General will go out and have a talk with him. If he figured out it was pilot error, he breaks out his sidearm and places a bullet into the pilots brain. Some countries will let idiots like that just keep flying and crashing.....case in point...John McCain. Now he's a big famous politician. He only got away with continuos crashing of airframes because of Daddy being a high ranking Naval Officer.
    Stealthflanker

Post  Stealthflanker on Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:00 pm

Pervius wrote:

Neither Russia or America can afford people....people are needed to support military hardware. China's got the best cost-per-flight-hour formula now. They can afford people.

And i make my own aircraft concept.. and i need how to calculate DOC.. not Chinese or American stuff.

[quote=GaryB]
    t is the combination of fuel burned and the ground maintainence time per hour of flight.

[/quote]

So i can take out Airport Cost and Annual Standing charge eh ..from DOC elements in my spreadsheet ?

Oh BTW here's the screenshot of the excel spreadhseet..hmm sorry its bit un-arranged

GarryB

Post  GarryB on Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:22 am

Yeah, military airfields don't charge aircraft for operations.

Things that reduce costs include integrated software diagnostics systems that help technicians find and solve problems faster.
    Things that are bad are high maintainence things like surface coatings... on a normal plane you undo the screws and take panels off to access the internals of an aircraft.
    In a stealth plane you remove the stealthy coating and tape and other things covering the screws, then undo the screws and remove the panel... fix the problem and then put it all back on including tape and surface coatings... real pain and very expensive too.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:18 pm