Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+58
KoTeMoRe
Neutrality
crod
chinggis
Zivo
Shadåw
GunshipDemocracy
KiloGolf
Redboy
Cyrus the great
Bolt
max steel
TheArmenian
Teshub
Fred333
Morpheus Eberhardt
HUNTER VZLA
Bidoul
Iraqiya
franco
VARGR198
Aldin_Aba
BKP
Regular
PapaDragon
Karl Haushofer
medo
Heartbeer
short_fuze
mack8
Kadmos45
Acheron
Monarchist
Werewolf
OminousSpudd
headshot69
calm
Walther von Oldenburg
flamming_python
George1
magnumcromagnon
zg18
sheytanelkebir
higurashihougi
Algerian Major
JohninMK
DerWolf
wilhelm
Big_Gazza
GarryB
Erk
Solncepek
d_taddei2
par far
Dima
JohnSnow
Akula971
Cyberspec
62 posters

Syrian Civil War: News #5

Cyberspec
    Cyberspec

Syrian Civil War: News #5 - Page 15 Empty Re: Syrian Civil War: News #5

Post  Cyberspec Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:15 pm

PapaDragon wrote:Syrian Civil War: News #5 - Page 15 Me_F2DWwAA9JDZ

What I missed was that SAA captured Mughayriyah village east of Salma.

These Syrian town names are nightmare to write and pronounce for simple Balkan slob like me... cry

They've captured 3 villages today....apparently Salma is only about 3km to the west

Syrian Civil War: News #5 - Page 15 CYS5L0PVAAAiPqT

Syrian Civil War: News #5 - Page 15 76sa6l7mjc04302zg

Syrian Civil War: News #5 - Page 15 172345_181545517_North%20Latakia%20cut2%209an%2019dey

However, further North...

Jabhat Al-Nusra recaptures Sarif and Da’da’an in northern Latakia
    http://www.almasdarnews.com/article/jabhat-al-nusra-recaptures-dadaan-in-northern-latakia/ | Al-Masdar News
    KiloGolf
    KiloGolf

Post  KiloGolf Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:01 am

Cyberspec wrote:
    However, further North...

Jabhat Al-Nusra recaptures Sarif and Da’da’an in northern Latakia
    http://www.almasdarnews.com/article/jabhat-al-nusra-recaptures-dadaan-in-northern-latakia/ | Al-Masdar News

North is more important than both Salma and Rabia strongholds (mini Stalingrads). SAA should make sure to make progress from the North (i.e. Sarif which they lost.. all the way to Bdama). Once that area is controlled the insurgents will move back or stay and become irrelevant like Zabadani or Kefraya is nowdays.

Bdama is the huge prize and key to Jisr Sukour, but all will cut way many routes of supply from Turkey.
    Cyberspec
    Cyberspec

Post  Cyberspec Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:33 am

Agree....the pro-gov sources seem confident that it's a temporary setback and that they will be recaptured....we'll see

Salma is at least symbolically significant being the so called "capital" of Al Nusra
    Iraqiya

Post  Iraqiya Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:00 am

English translation of an Al Manar report on fact checking of the Madaya siege social media campaign that has spread lots of fake and old images

https://youtu.be/NMnm9zl2qwk
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:06 am

Iraqiya wrote:English translation of an Al Manar report on fact checking of the Madaya siege social media campaign that has spread lots of fake and old images

Yeah, as I pointed out in an above post, a U.N. statement from October 2015 has already discredited the agitprop. As seen here:

magnumcromagnon wrote:Claims that the SAA and Hezbollah are deliberately starving Madaya has been completely discredited by a U.N. statement a few months earlier:

Syrian Civil War: News #5 - Page 15 CYRV5HjWcAACMi7
    Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:53 am

VARGR198 wrote:

Perhaps Russia isn't supplying the yak-130 until after the civil war to prevent any being captured and studied by opposing powers (rebels capturing one and giving it to the USA)?
    Perhaps not. Yak-130 is not super sophisticated plane, Aermacchi probably sold all the info before they went tits up anyway.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:31 am

Seems to me the anti government forces in Syria are the greater threat to Assad so it makes sense to focus on them.

They are the more dangerous because they have better outside support from the US and Turkey etc so they need direct attention to defeat.

Regarding ISIS it makes sense just to hit their supply lines like illegal oil exports through Turkey... with their income depleted they will shrivel while Syrian government forces and Russian air power deals with the anti government forces... if they are lucky when that is done their might not be much left of ISIS left to deal with as they will likely go elsewhere where it is more profitable like Libya or perhaps even Afghanistan or Yemen.

Either way is OK with Syria... ISIS anywhere else is not their problem.
    KoTeMoRe
    KoTeMoRe

Post  KoTeMoRe Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:10 am

Regular wrote:
    VARGR198 wrote:

Perhaps Russia isn't supplying the yak-130 until after the civil war to prevent any being captured and studied by opposing powers (rebels capturing one and giving it to the USA)?
    Perhaps not. Yak-130 is not super sophisticated plane, Aermacchi probably sold all the info before they went tits up anyway.

Correct, the M346 is known quantity.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:16 pm

I would not totally agree that the Yak-130 is unsophisticated... I mean what has the US or UK got in that category... the US some very old Talons and the UK some ancient Hawks.

In comparison the Yak-130 is very sophisticated and able to simulate the flight performance of a wide range of aircraft for the purposes of flight training up to and including advanced navigation, multi engine aircraft control/management, and advanced weapons training and even use in non front line roles.
    KoTeMoRe
    KoTeMoRe

Post  KoTeMoRe Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:25 pm

GarryB wrote:I would not totally agree that the Yak-130 is unsophisticated... I mean what has the US or UK got in that category... the US some very old Talons and the UK some ancient Hawks.

In comparison the Yak-130 is very sophisticated and able to simulate the flight performance of a wide range of aircraft for the purposes of flight training up to and including advanced navigation, multi engine aircraft control/management, and advanced weapons training and even use in non front line roles.

I never said it is unsophisticated, I said, the M346 and YAK130 are comparable to a point that, having one, would be easier through a phony procurement program, than trying to get it by shooting one down. It's largely known quantity.

Post  Guest Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:28 pm

GarryB wrote:I would not totally agree that the Yak-130 is unsophisticated... I mean what has the US or UK got in that category... the US some very old Talons and the UK some ancient Hawks.

Well US Talons were modernised quite extensively last 2 decades to fit training for F15E and F16 Block 40+.  

Syrian Civil War: News #5 - Page 15 T-38C_cockpit

Also they have couple hundred Texan IIs which are quite new, even tho not exacly in the same class they are still advanced trainers of a sort due to turboprop engines.

T45s Goshawk were modernised too to C standard to fit training for F18 Super Hornet.

Syrian Civil War: News #5 - Page 15 Image013

UK uses Hawks T1s mostly but they have obtained also number of T2s last years which are rly good trainers in terms of modern equipment and avionics.

Syrian Civil War: News #5 - Page 15 Hawk-Advanced-Jet-Trainer-02

Post  Guest Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:30 pm

KoTeMoRe wrote:

I never said it is unsophisticated, I said, the M346 and YAK130 are comparable to a point that, having one, would be easier through a phony procurement program, than trying to get it by shooting one down. It's largely known quantity.

Lets face it they are basically the same aircraft with differences in their electronic suite and engines. We all know how both of them came to be.
    short_fuze

Post  short_fuze Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:43 pm

Iraqiya wrote:English translation of an Al Manar report on fact checking of the Madaya siege social media campaign that has spread lots of fake and old images

They included this one

Syrian Civil War: News #5 - Page 15 484063_img650x420_img650x420_crop

The original images were of an ill Lebanese girl taken 3 years ago, and peddled by multiple western R2P outfits. The girl is clearly now fully recovered

Meanwhile, the Saudis are still bombing hospitals in Yemen - 4 or 5 killed at an MSF clinic in rural Yemen - total silence from the R2P scum.

https://www.rt.com/news/328425-yemen-msf-clinic-attack/

https://z5h64q92x9.net/proxy_u/ru-en.en/tvzvezda.ru/news/vstrane_i_mire/content/201601101258-ah3r.htm
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:11 pm

Yak-130 is more sophisticated than MiG-21 or MiG-23 regarding ground attacks. It have modern digital fire control computer and with satellite navigation and data link to receive informations from outside sources and could bomb with high precision from higher altitude with dumb bombs like Su-25SM could and Yak-130 as a basic trainer could also use TV guided bombs and missiles, what is more than enough for such anti-terror campaign. Equipped with a radar or SOLT-25 EO complex, its capabilities become even better. For Syrian AF Yak-130 would bring big improvement and as it is a advanced trainer, it would not take long time for pilots to master it.
    Bidoul

Post  Bidoul Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:13 pm

Hasn't Russia retired all the MiG-27?

That's what I would transfer en masse.

There are hundreds of MiG-27M/D siting somewhere in storage. Why transfer light CAS planes when you can transfer heavy ones.

Post  Guest Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:22 pm

Bidoul wrote:Hasn't Russia retired all the MiG-27?

That's what I would transfer en masse.

There are hundreds of MiG-27M/D siting somewhere in storage. Why transfer light CAS planes when you can transfer heavy ones.

During second Chechen war there were some ideas by certain generals to reactivate MiG27s in their strike role but apparently it seems majority of the fleet even back then was in bad shape and not fit for cheap comback to operations, worth mentioning it was just 7 years on aveage since they were retired. While i agree that some numbers of MiG27s probably exist somewhere in Russia i dont think they are very viable option without serious investment. Russians barely have shelters for their active fleet i can imagine how they keep retired frames, and in 20 years since they were last used alot happened and many rains fell.

Russians sadly lack dry, low humidity and yet still not far from transport communications place to keep their reserve fleet like US does.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:14 pm

Unconfirmed reports say #SAA forces have captured the village of #Bilaliyah in East #Ghouta. #Damascus #Syria

https://twitter.com/PetoLucem/status/686275164665942016

Syrian Civil War: News #5 - Page 15 CYYjn6CWEAA3i7t

Also, something big is cooking around Salma, rebels say that VKS is throwing everything and the kitchen sink, rumors of cruise missiles being used and SAA artillery doing their thing.

Hopefully true but no confirmation yet...

http://www.almasdarnews.com/article/...town-of-salma/

Last edited by PapaDragon on Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Aldin_Aba
    Aldin_Aba

Post  Aldin_Aba Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:16 pm

SAA captured Ayishah North of Kuweires Airbase. 36°11'7"N 37°34'49"E
    franco
    franco

Post  franco Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:36 pm

3 prong attack to isolate and take Salma.
    And then on to Bdama.

https://twitter.com/miladvisor
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:11 am

I was not replying to you I was replying to Regular saying this:

Well US Talons were modernised quite extensively last 2 decades to fit training for F15E and F16 Block 40+.

I love the irony... in the 1990s I clearly remember repeatedly defending the single radar display and other wise dial instruments of Russian service aircraft as being good enough compared with so called western glass cockpits which were supposed to be so much better... the pictures you have posted above show one MFD when the Yak-130 has three large screens...

The point is that three large MFDs does not make the Yak sophisticated... it is the 4 channel digital FBW flight control system that allows the aircraft to mimic the performance of a wide range of aircraft types from heavy transports to 5th gen fighters and all sorts of aircraft in between, to allow training for all sorts of roles with less of a transition to the final aircraft the pilots are training to fly operationally.

anyway... enough of the off topic....[/quote]
    Zivo
    Zivo

Post  Zivo Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:47 am

Militarov wrote:

Kind of sad considering I earned my IFR rating in a G1000 equipped C-172 that had a cleaner layout.

Syrian Civil War: News #5 - Page 15 C172S-G1000

The Yak-130's cockpit looks sharp.

Syrian Civil War: News #5 - Page 15 Yak-130_4

Post  Guest Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:08 pm

Zivo wrote:
    Militarov wrote:

Kind of sad considering I earned my IFR rating in a G1000 equipped C-172 that had a cleaner layout.

Syrian Civil War: News #5 - Page 15 C172S-G1000

Well yeah civilian cockpits are often alot cleaner these days, also take note they here have also kept alot of old gauges which are used to teach people oldschool instrumental flying. Also US is as we know quite deep into tests for future trainer dubbed T-X. All "big names" are participating M-346 Master, Textron Scorpion, T50 Golden Eagle, BAE Hawk, ... Boeing and Saab are proposing newly built platform too so Talons wont be around for much more.
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:57 pm

short_fuze wrote:

They included this one

The original images were of an ill Lebanese girl taken 3 years ago, and peddled by multiple western R2P outfits. The girl is clearly now fully recovered

Meanwhile, the Saudis are still bombing hospitals in Yemen - 4 or 5 killed at an MSF clinic in rural Yemen - total silence from the R2P scum.

https://z5h64q92x9.net/proxy_u/ru-en.en/tvzvezda.ru/news/vstrane_i_mire/content/201601101258-ah3r.htm

Here's a good article describing who those R2P trash heaps really are, and who funds them:

http://russia-insider.com/en/military/professional-neocon-russia-basher-advances-saudi-sectarian-agenda/ri5035
    short_fuze

Post  short_fuze Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:09 pm

magnumcromagnon wrote:
    short_fuze wrote:

They included this one

Here's a good article describing who those R2P trash heaps really are, and who funds them:

http://russia-insider.com/en/military/professional-neocon-russia-basher-advances-saudi-sectarian-agenda/ri5035

Ah, the infamous Michael Weiss. My surpriseometer has gone all the way up to 0. He talks a load of stuff that rhymes with weiss.
    short_fuze

Syrian Civil War: News #5 - Page 15 Empty Battle for Aleppo has started

Post  short_fuze Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:19 pm

Ziad Fadel at syrianppersepctive.com has produced a report "Battle for Aleppo has started" listing lots more action on the ground. Apparently Syrian Intelligence have infiltrated ISIS communications lines and led some leaders into a trap - an IED made from captured ISIS explosives. I guess that is what the Americans mean by blowback.

The article also includes details of the capture in Iraq of the so-called “Butcher of the Shi’a in Syria and Iraq”, Abu ‘Abdul-Rahmaan Al-Qawqaazi, and 9 of his aides. They were noted for beheading all their captives. They received the same treatment from their captors - Caution - Graphic images towards end of in report.

http://syrianperspective.com/2016/01/battle-for-all-aleppo-has-started-saa-encircled-obamas-terrorist-rodents-security-services-assassinate-more-rats-in-idlib.html

Personally I would rather they had been debriefed properly by trained investigators to discover more info about their backers and so on. Unfortunately dead men tell no tales.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 3:05 am