Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+93
LMFS
KiloGolf
miketheterrible
AMCXXL
Luq man
d_taddei2
MC-21
Tingsay
HM1199
berhoum
Pierre Sprey
Singular_Transform
Big_Gazza
George1
kvs
PapaDragon
Isos
Rmf
Kimppis
JohninMK
Project Canada
Russian Patriot
archangelski
marcellogo
Benya
Pincus Shain
max steel
DB1234
Genjurooo
Morpheus Eberhardt
AK-Rex
Book.
Svyatoslavich
Backinblack
Varyag
kopyo-21
KRATOS1133
sheytanelkebir
Cucumber Khan
Elsarof
medo
victor1985
Berkut
GunshipDemocracy
nastle77
Manov
Mike E
higurashihougi
Sassanidsaxon
Werewolf
mutantsushi
sepheronx
Alex555
Flyboy77
Vympel
collegeboy16
nemrod
Anas Ali
etaepsilonk
Hannibal Barca
Hachimoto
magnumcromagnon
SOC
AlfaT8
mack8
TheArmenian
Department Of Defense
psg
gaurav
Firebird
eridan
indochina
runaway
a89
ricky123
Sancho
Stealthflanker
KomissarBojanchev
flamming_python
Sujoy
Dima
Chrisa
TR1
Cyberspec
GarryB
ahmedfire
nightcrawler
Hoof
Austin
Viktor
tunguska
Vladislav
Admin
97 posters

MiG-29/ΜiG-35 Fulcrum: News

mack8
    mack8

MiG-29/ΜiG-35 Fulcrum: News - Page 9 Empty Re: MiG-29/ΜiG-35 Fulcrum: News

Post  mack8 Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:12 am

Well, i guess by 2016 they would hopefully have the Zhuk AESA fully developed, so at least the RuAF birds will have AESA. Wonder if MiG has already found buyers for the MiG-29M2s already built or under construction... (unless they will still go to Syria after all)

Regarding the mentioned further order for SMTs ( which is not clear to me if it means upgrading the ex-algerian ones to the standard we saw flying recently at LII, upgrading RuAF legacy in-service birds, or even perhaps there are still some 9.12/9.13 airframes left at the Sokol plant), does anyone have a breakdown of how many 9.13/9.13S/UB and even 9.12 are still in service with RuAF at the moment ? Thanks.
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:42 am

There are still some 9.12s living out the rest of their service lives, but I think most of them should dissapear within basically this year or the next.
    Some where back in the air even after the tail-cracking grounding with repairs, but their service life is almost out in any case.

This decision to modernize (maybe) airframes is surprising. The RuAF looked @ SMT a while ago, and decided it would not modernize the fleet. I was under the impression the airframes were flogged pretty well, but if they can upgrade the planes + extend service life for 15 or so years for a good price....not the worst idea. If the Indians are doing it so can the RuAF.

They didn't get money from government for MiG-35, that much is clear.
    mack8
    mack8

Post  mack8 Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:56 am

I guess it depends whether there are enough MiG-29 9.13/S/UB with a sufficiently low number of hours to worth it (probably there are some). I don't think there's much chance for SOME info on how things are in that respect (airframe hours), what would be the highest, and the lowest number of hours on the birds in service and of course how many are there with a relatively low number of hours etc. I need to dig out some books, but i think the MiG-29S is rated at 4000hrs, right? How about the 9.13, still 2500 hrs like a 9.12, or is it more ?
    a89

MiG-29/ΜiG-35 Fulcrum: News - Page 9 Empty MiG-35 Fighter

Post  a89 Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:38 am

This decision to modernize (maybe) airframes is surprising. The RuAF looked @ SMT a while ago, and decided it would not modernize the fleet. I was under the impression the airframes were flogged pretty well, but if they can upgrade the planes + extend service life for 15 or so years for a good price....not the worst idea. If the Indians are doing it so can the RuAF.
    An acquisition of MiG-35 would have helped to export the type, but contracts have already been signed with Syria and Serbia. Production line is going to stay open for quite a few years due to MiG-29/35 contracts*.

* There could also be some aircraft left to deliver to Myanmar and Bangladesh, but these are based on older variants and components which were already built.
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:25 am

So Mig-35 will be signed later on request from financial ministry. But if I understand correctly, in the mean time they will build new Mig-29 SMT.
    a89

Post  a89 Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:37 am

So Mig-35 will be signed later on request from financial ministry. But if I understand correctly, in the mean time they will build new Mig-29 SMT.
    SMT is an upgrade of older variants (9.12 and 9.13). It cannot be built from scratch and it wouldn't make any sense. Maybe the Fulcrum fleet is not as in bad condition as we think.
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:23 am

By the way, on the MiG-29 topic, the SMT has 40% cheaper flight hours than the legacy MiG. Mostly due to the digital monitoring system that allows for aircraft health to be monitored in real time after each flight, vs expensive regular calendar capremonts.
    MiG-35 is claimed by MiG to have as much as 2.5 times reduction in flight cost- even allowing for optimistic "best-case" projections I think it is indicative of how much cheaper the new birds (be they MiG or Sukhoi) will be to operate for the RuAF.

Given reduction in size over past several years (and this will continue for a bit) I think there is potential for serious cost reduction and pilot yearly flight hour increase.
    TheArmenian
    TheArmenian

Post  TheArmenian Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:54 am

Russian Military to Buy 16 MiG-29SMT Fighter Jets - Report

Source: http://en.rian.ru/military_news/20130820/182860069/Russian-Military-to-Buy-16-MiG-29SMT-Fighter-Jets--Report.html
    a89

Post  a89 Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:04 am

Russian Military to Buy 16 MiG-29SMT Fighter Jets - Report

Source: http://en.rian.ru/military_news/20130820/182860069/Russian-Military-to-Buy-16-MiG-29SMT-Fighter-Jets--Report.html
    Price is too high to be an upgrade of existing birds. Maybe the Fulcrum stock is not exhausted yet.

Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:53 pm

TheArmenian wrote:Russian Military to Buy 16 MiG-29SMT Fighter Jets - Report

1. SMT is a modernization. It does not include new build airframes.
    2. I wonder why not new build M/M2 moderls
    3. 485 million $ for 16 pieces makes 30 million $ per plane (this is no modernization and it is the same price as for MIG-35)
    5. Could it be that we are speaking about new build M/M2 airframes after all?

Well, this settlers all questions.

MiG-35 Deal Delayed Amid Defense Industry Problems – Minister

Beautiful bird

MiG-29/ΜiG-35 Fulcrum: News - Page 9 25yviuh

MiG-29/ΜiG-35 Fulcrum: News - Page 9 16899gi

MiG-29/ΜiG-35 Fulcrum: News - Page 9 2q1un1e
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:07 pm

MiG-35 Deal ‘On Track’ - Minister

MOSCOW, August 24 (RIA Novosti) - Russia’s Defense Ministry is not abandoning the purchase of MiG-35 fighter jets and could sign a deal next week, Trade and Industry Minister Denis Manturov said Saturday.

The contract could be signed at Moscow’s MAKS International Aviation and Space show, which will run from August 27 through September 1, while first deliveries could start in 2015-2016, he said.

Deputy Defense Minister Yury Borisov said Tuesday the ministry had postponed the purchase of 37 MiG-35’s until 2016 because the defense industry cannot fulfill the contract, and would buy 16 MiG-29SMT fighter jets instead.

The ministry was due to sign a 37 billion rubles ($1.1 billion) deal with MiG in June, but last month the aircraft corporation's CEO Sergei Korotkov told RIA Novosti the contract had still not been signed.

The Mikoyan MiG-35 (Fulcrum-F) is a 4++ generation fighter jet and a modification of the MiG-29M. It is equipped with air-to-air and air-to-surface guided missiles, as well as the Zhuk-A radar system.
    AlfaT8
    AlfaT8

Post  AlfaT8 Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:53 pm

I recall that in the past the Soviets made sure that there combat aircraft had a similar or identical cockpit layout, i was wondering if this practice is still continuing in Russia today? scratch
    SOC
    SOC

Post  SOC Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:53 pm

AlfaT8 wrote:I recall that in the past the Soviets made sure that there combat aircraft had a similar or identical cockpit layout, i was wondering if this practice is still continuing in Russia today? scratch
    Using similar layouts when it was possible to do so made transitioning from one airframe to another less complicated as you didn't have to re-learn the entire cockpit layout. Not done anymore as you've got more diverging systems and various different displays now. But back when it was done it was a very well thought out idea.
    AlfaT8
    AlfaT8

Post  AlfaT8 Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:34 pm

SOC wrote:
    AlfaT8 wrote:I recall that in the past the Soviets made sure that there combat aircraft had a similar or identical cockpit layout, i was wondering if this practice is still continuing in Russia today? scratch
    Using similar layouts when it was possible to do so made transitioning from one airframe to another less complicated as you didn't have to re-learn the entire cockpit layout.  Not done anymore as you've got more diverging systems and various different displays now.  But back when it was done it was a very well thought out idea.
    Thanks, very sad that it can,t be done anymore.
    SOC
    SOC

Post  SOC Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:03 pm

AlfaT8 wrote:
    SOC wrote:
    Using similar layouts when it was possible to do so made transitioning from one airframe to another less complicated as you didn't have to re-learn the entire cockpit layout.  Not done anymore as you've got more diverging systems and various different displays now.  But back when it was done it was a very well thought out idea.
    Thanks, very sad that it can,t be done anymore.
    It's actually not as big of a deal anymore. With the evolution and increased usage of MFDs and the like in Russian cockpits, the pilots have easier access to information they previously had to get from dials, gauges, and other display systems. While it may take a bit to get used to the new information tools if you go from, say, an Su-24M to an Su-34, the enhanced cockpit will actually help make you more effective in the long run as accessing and processing the relevant information is made easier by the newer systems.

Also, with fewer aircraft types in service these days, making transitioning simpler is no longer as big of a concern as it once was. At one point you could've flown a MiG-15/17/19/21/23/25/27, an Su-7/9/11/15/24, or even a Yak-28. Far fewer fighter types to go around now, and with many of them type derivatives the issue of transitioning between a bunch of different airframes a bunch of times isn't anywhere close to being as important as it once was. I think part of the original driver was that you could go from, say, something like a MiG-17 to a MiG-21. One is subsonic, a day fighter, the other is a supersonic airframe with (in certain versions) a full radar and AAM set. Just flying and fighting in the MiG-21 would be a very different experience, so using similar instruments and layouts helped reduce the time and effort required to navigate the instrument panel. That way, more effort could be placed where it was more important, learning how to fly and fight in a considerably more advanced aircraft, and you could rely on past experience and even learned instinct to a degree to aid in managing the instrument panel.
    Austin

Post  Austin Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:29 pm

MiG-29M/M2 MiG-29K and MiG-35 will be?
    http://bmpd.livejournal.com/607559.html

Serbian newspaper "Policy" September 1, 2013 published the interview , taken correspondent Miroslav Lazanskaya at the general director of JSC "RAC" MiG "Sergei Korotkov at MAKS-2013.

Mr. Director, the recent Russian press reported that the Ministry of Defense of Russia canceled the order for the MiG-35, and you will not have to work.

You, as a journalist, you can see that it wrote the newspaper "Kommersant" on the first page. Already the next day, the same newspaper denied the same information is also on the first page. Ministry of Defense of Russian interests only when the first MiG-35 will go to the troops. And that's not all, the interest in our aircraft is growing, in recent years we have worked for foreign customers, and now the Russian Ministry of Defense has decided to purchase a number of MiG-29 SMT, we signed two contracts for the carrier-based variant of the MiG-29K. Our Air Force will receive 37 MiG-35, the entire documentation for this is under the Ministry of Defense of Russia, and we expect that the first aircraft will enter into service in the Russian military aircraft in 2015.

Is it possible to resolve the question of whether the MiG-29M2 another type with respect to the MiG-35. Or is it in fact a plane? There is a lot of controversy about this.

MiG-29M2 and MiG-35 aircraft at the same weight, size, radar, engines, avionics and electronics planned, on the suspension arms, in arms, appearance. No there is no difference. However, we have a single option, which we have called the MiG -29M, while the double version of the aircraft designated as the MiG-29M2. In fact, the MiG-29M2 is the export version of the combat aircraft MiG-35 Russian Air Force. Here, let me tell you that at the show this year, MAKS-2013, we gave up the names of the MiG-29M2 and took the name of the MiG-35. To avoid confusion and more of our customers, as well as our opponents. Thus, in the future will only MiG-35, although it will vary depending on the equipment, depending on the wishes of the customer. For example, India is developing its electronics for the aircraft and we will set the .

To what country you are now producing MiG-35?

And for Russia, and India. India buys deck version of the MiG-29K carrier-based version which is equivalent to the MiG-35. H For example, the difference between the basic version of the MiG-29 and MiG-29K carrier-based version or the MiG-35 is huge, even the tires on different chassis.

How many goals MiG-35 may be accompanied at the same time, and how much time to fire?

To accompany the ten targets simultaneously and fire four goals at the same time.

Range of the radar "Zhuk" on the MiG-35?

The maximum target detection range of 250 km and a maximum range missile air-to-air R-27 80 km. But we have a modern missile air-to-air long range.

Serbia is a potential buyer of the MiG-35. Speaking about the possibility to give us airplanes made ​​for Syria, which now because of the known situation, you can not deliver?

We have a contract with Syria on the aircraft, and Russian President Vladimir Putin said that the contracts must be respected. Syrian MiGs we will not sell to anyone.

But you do not deliver?

It's not up to me. This is a matter between us and Syria.

If Serbia decides to buy the MiG-35, what will be the price of the aircraft?

We'll give you the planes at the same price as for the Russian military aviation.

That is, the factory price?

Yes, both for Russia and for Serbia.

What are the proposals pendant arms for aircraft, equipment for reconnaissance and electronic warfare?

We have everything you want out of this equipment in production, and everything is already integrated on the MiG-35.

Missile air-to-air medium and long range?

All missiles air-to-air Russian production can be integrated on the MiG-35 for Serbia. We can even integrate and Western-made rockets, if you like, the MiG-35 has a completely open architecture for all existing or just emerging types of missiles .

There is a two-way data communication in real time between the aircraft and ground stations?

This possibility exists, and it is implemented in practice.

Who produces the wings and fuselage of the MiG-35?

Our company has a complete production cycle of aircraft, from the design office, through the construction of aircraft, test procedure, to delivery and maintenance of aircraft. However, engines, radar and generators we buy from other companies, and then set them on airplanes. Earlier in the Soviet Union, the company "MiG" only designed the plane, and then it was made ​​according to the design documentation in other enterprises of the USSR. Now it's different.

What percentage of composites used in the MiG-35?

About 16 percent, but there is a special coating that is on the MiG-35 radiolokatsioonuyu greatly reduces visibility, so you could say that it is essentially "invisible" aircraft, or aircraft with a low radar signature. In view of this and other features of the MiG -35 aircraft is of "4-plus-plus". Advantage of the MiG-35 is also the fact that it is designed to take off and land on airfields are bad, and can be used as a runway conventional asphalt roads . to the double version is possible for the operator to select targets and weapons that can be used with the MiG-35 can be quickly train more pilots. For your pilots who fly the MiG-29 transition training on the MiG-35 will not be expensive or complicated or time-consuming process.

Still, why the MiG-35 aircraft named of "4-plus-plus'?

In the world there is no common view on what is called "fifth" generation aircraft, so we call the MiG-35 of the "4-plus-plus."

Competing Western aircraft?

We fight and compete with the Typhoon, Rafale, Gripen, we are superior to F-18. We are much cheaper than all of them. Course, the price depends on the instruments of the aircraft.

How many countries in the world today use aircraft such as "MiG"?

Our planes flying pilots from 29 countries around the world. MiG-29 is used, even the Americans to train their pilots. You know - for air combat training in the "aggressor squadrons."

Is there a possibility of cooperation in the repair of MiG-29s to other countries on our aircraft repair plant Moma Stanojlovis in Batajnica?

We have been in this business, you can become a regional center for the repair of the MiG-29 is not only neighboring countries but also to Algeria and other Arab countries that have adopted this type of aircraft. Why take them to Russia, if it can be done with you, and we are committed to repairing these aircraft in Batajnica. We expect that Cuba will repair their MiG-29 from you. W naete not enough to just buy a modern aircraft required to support it.

If Serbia will sign today a contract for the purchase of MiG-35, how much time will pass before the delivery of the first aircraft?

Planes are made ​​in due course, after the signing of the contract and payment of the required 18 months to two years before the delivery of the first aircraft. From a technological point of view, commonly referred to as two years, but there is an opportunity for Serbia to shorten this period.
    Austin

Post  Austin Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:56 pm

Next Gen MiG ( Air International/Pitor Butowski ) ( via Drsomnath999 )

Mig-35 1
    Mig-35 2
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:10 pm

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/688895.html

"The demands of the Defense Ministry makes this plane far different from the MiG-35 that took part in the Indian fighter competition".
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:57 pm

Lets hope that in 2014 we will have the contract for order of MiG-35 signed..
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:32 am

Out of curiosity why hasn't the Mig-35 sold well? Whats the problem with the air-frames?
    Austin

Post  Austin Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:51 am

magnumcromagnon wrote:Out of curiosity why hasn't the Mig-35 sold well? Whats the problem with the air-frames?

Because its not ready , Mig-35 is still under development reason why RuAF hasnt signed a deal yet.

Once RuAF buys Mig-35 it will have better chance in export market.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:01 am

The first Mig-35 was designed for the Indian AF.

After they rejected it they now have new design specs from the Russian AF so the new Mig-35 will be different from the known one most likely.
    Hachimoto

Post  Hachimoto Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:04 am

Austin wrote:
    magnumcromagnon wrote:Out of curiosity why hasn't the Mig-35 sold well? Whats the problem with the air-frames?

Because its not ready , Mig-35 is still under development reason why RuAF hasnt signed a deal yet.

The fear is when it comes out it will be already outdated.

We are living the end of an era, the Su-35 somehow closing it.
    Austin

Post  Austin Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:52 am

Hachimoto wrote:
    Austin wrote:

Hardly outdated , the Mig-35 can well match the Gripen-NG , F-18 E/F and F-16 Block xx and even Rafale .....and if these aircraft are not outdated and serve for next 15-25 years Mig-35 would do the same.
    Hachimoto

Post  Hachimoto Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:32 pm

Austin wrote:
    Hachimoto wrote:
    Austin wrote:

Hardly outdated , the Mig-35 can well match the Gripen-NG , F-18 E/F and F-16 Block xx and even Rafale .....and if these aircraft are not outdated and serve for next 15-25 years Mig-35 would do the same.

As you said 15-25 years at max

Those aircraft are already in production and wining orders, the oldest of them the F-xx are being replaced by new programs.

If Mig-35 take another 5/6 years to show up i suspect no bright future for it.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 1:22 pm