Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+53
TMA1
Eugenio Argentina
Tsavo Lion
GunshipDemocracy
ALAMO
T-47
Mig-31BM2 Super Irbis-E
Arrow
Broski
LMFS
lyle6
owais.usmani
Kiko
Backman
marat
ATLASCUB
Godric
KiloGolf
crod
gaurav
miketheterrible
Arash_IMV
OminousSpudd
Solncepek
magnumcromagnon
nemrod
IR5
zepia
Cucumber Khan
wilhelm
JohninMK
d_taddei2
Dima
KoTeMoRe
mack8
AttilaA
sepheronx
GarryB
AlfaT8
Cyberspec
whir
zg18
max steel
medo
Ramos 2
ShahryarHedayatiSHBA
Prince Darling
ExBeobachter1987
flamming_python
Werewolf
George1
Viktor
Kyo
57 posters

Russia - Iran Military Cooperation

wilhelm

Russia - Iran Military Cooperation - Page 4 Empty Re: Russia - Iran Military Cooperation

Post  wilhelm Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:44 pm

Cucumber Khan wrote:

Think these "crews" are actually S-300 crews, not Su-30s...

Actually, reading that again, it seems you are correct. It seems they are talking about the S-300 crews.
    Nevertheless, it seems it is at least official that there is interest in the Su-30 now. This is the first official announcement of such an interest/announcement that I know of, and by the Defence Minister no less.

As for the major point about the Minister saying Iran needs to be involved in production, that should be a non-issue, as India were involved in the assembly/manufacture of their Su-30MKI.

Let's hope there is good news/confirmation soon. Iran can't keep those dwindling numbers of F-14's in the air forever, no matter how ingenious or smartly they apply themselves. The Su-30 is the perfect replacement, something that has been noted by observers for a while.

Last edited by wilhelm on Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
    medo
    medo

Russia - Iran Military Cooperation - Page 4 Empty Re: Russia - Iran Military Cooperation

Post  medo Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:47 pm

Cucumber Khan wrote:
    medo wrote:Great news for both Russia and Iran. Interesting in this article is, that first Iranian crews are already trained and that they will send another group of crews for trainings. I think this could mean, that Iran could quite quickly receive their first Su-30 fighters, so they will be most probably Su-30MK2 from KNAAPO as Irkut is full with production for RuAF and they will also have to produce Su-30SM for Kazakhstan and Belarus. KNAAPO have free production line for Su-30MK2 as they will finish order for Vietnam as well as for RuAF.

OK, it make more sense. I was too quick in reading. Anyway, I think Su-30MK2 could still well serve in IRIAF, specially if it get more powerful engines of AL-31FN series and N001VEP with Pero antenna radar. Even with original N001VEP it would be good F-14A replacement as they have quite similar capabilities to detect bombers and similar missiles, if it is equipped with R-27EA, which is quite similar to AIM-54.
    wilhelm

Post  wilhelm Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:50 pm

medo wrote:

OK, it make more sense. I was too quick in reading.

It's not your fault, but mine.
    I also read too quickly, and highlighted and underlined the sentence which I thought was related to the Su-30 crew training, but which looks on reflection to actually be the S-300 crews.
    I will edit it out so the emphasis is not as I posted originally so that others are not mislead by my highlight.
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:01 pm

wilhelm wrote:
    Cucumber Khan wrote:

Actually, reading that again, it seems you are correct. It seems they are talking about the S-300 crews.
    Nevertheless, it seems it is at least official that there is interest in the Su-30 now. This is the first official announcement of such an interest/announcement that I know of, and by the Defence Minister no less.

As for the major point about the Minister saying Iran needs to be involved in production, that should be a non-issue, as India were involved in the assembly/manufacture of their Su-30MKI.

Let's hope there is good news/confirmation soon. Iran can't keep those dwindling numbers of F-14's in the air forever, no matter how ingenious or smartly they apply themselves. The Su-30 is the perfect replacement, something that has been noted by observers for a while.

Agree, that Su-30MKI is produced in India, but important components still come from Russia, specially engines. You could bet it is easier for Russia to give Iran a license to produce engines without TVC, than with TVC. Important factor is also in fact, that KNAAPO Su-30MK2 production line is free and could immediately start producing exclusively for IRIAF, while Irkut is busy with production for RuAF and RuNAVY and for Kazakhstan and Belarus and producing components for Indian Su-30MKI. After all, Su-30MK2 is a little lighter tham Su-30MKI and equipped with more powerful AL-31FN engines it could be still good dogfighter.
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:34 pm

http://tass.ru/en/politics/855780

MOSCOW, February 10. /TASS/. Iranian Defense Minister Hossein Dehghan will visit Moscow early next week, Iranian Embassy in Moscow told TASS on Wednesday.

"We confirm that our defense minister will visit Moscow at the beginning of next week," the embassy said adding that "a meeting with his Russian counterpart Sergey Shoigu is planned."

According to TASS, the Iranian defense minister plans to visit the Russian capital on February 16.

More:
    http://tass.ru/en/politics/855780

We will know more about it next week, when Iranian defense minister visit Moscow. I think they could sign a contract at that visit and if they will choose Su-30MK2 from KNAAPO, they could receive first fighters at the end of the year or in the beginning of the next year.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:47 am

Source: Iran is interested in ~ 60 Su-30MKs (export version of Su-30SM) russia

https://twitter.com/KURYERSAT/status/698058784577622016
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:33 pm

George1 wrote:Source: Iran is interested in ~ 60 Su-30MKs (export version of Su-30SM) russia

https://twitter.com/KURYERSAT/status/698058784577622016

I think 60 is too low number, as Iran want license production of Su-30 in Iran. I more think the number will be higher than 100, maybe even near 200.

I don't know, how quick could Iran get Su-30 jets from Irkut as Irkut is full with orders for RuAF and RuNAVY, also Algeria order additional Su-30MKA, Belarus and Kazakhstan want them, etc. On the other hand KNAAPO production line for Su-30MK2 is free.

It would be also a good question of how many Iranian weapons and complexes will be installed on their Su-30. Most probably Iran will want to integrate Iranian copy of AIM-54 Phoenix missiles on them, which have longer range than R-27ER missiles. They could as well integrate their domestic targeting pods and their air to ground bombs and missiles and most probably their domestic anti-ship missiles too.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:57 am

I would expect their production capacity for their Phoenix ripoff is limited and the missile itself is based on rather old technology.

If they are buying new Flankers I suspect a purchase of R-37Ms (ie RVV-BD) would make more sense as a much more modern and capable weapon.
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:17 am

GarryB wrote:I would expect their production capacity for their Phoenix ripoff is limited and the missile itself is based on rather old technology.

If they are buying new Flankers I suspect a purchase of R-37Ms (ie RVV-BD) would make more sense as a much more modern and capable weapon.

I don't think any Su-30 variant is capable to carry R-37M missiles. I think only MiG-31BM, Su-35 and PAK-FA will be able to carry them as they have L-band radar capabilities, which are most probably connected with R-37 missile guidance. Also I don't think Russia will sell those missiles to anyone.

R-27 is old missile too, but with modern homing head is still a potent treat. Modernizing Phoenix missiles with newer ARH heads would still be good for iranian needs and very useful for attacks on AWACS and air tanker planes. For other targets Su-30 will still have R-77 and R-73 missiles. I don't think Iranian Su-30 will carry more than two Phoenix missiles in such air patrol, but the point for Iran is, that they could use their own air to air and air to ground/sea weapons on their new planes, that their planes could be operational in whatever situation they will be. Producing their own weapons and spare parts will mean that their stocks will not be dependent on imports.

What Iran need most is to get a license to produce Al-31 jet engines fully domestically.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:26 am

I don't think any Su-30 variant is capable to carry R-37M missiles. I think only MiG-31BM, Su-35 and PAK-FA will be able to carry them as they have L-band radar capabilities, which are most probably connected with R-37 missile guidance. Also I don't think Russia will sell those missiles to anyone.

RVV-AE is the export designation for the R-77, RVV-BD is the export designation of the R-37M... wouldn't make sense if they weren't for export.

These missiles can be used at long range against large or emitting aircraft... a JSTARS or AWACS aircraft could be detected well beyond 300km and fired upon.

I think instead of buying the licence to make Al-31s that they should start a joint venture with MiG to develop the MiG-31 replacement...
    GunshipDemocracy
    GunshipDemocracy

Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

Post  GunshipDemocracy Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:37 pm

Iran agrees to buy Russian T-90 only with the condition of technology transfer

http://www.interfax.ru/world/494612

Moscow. February 14. INTERFAX.RU - Iran has not abandoned plans to purchase from Russia tanks T-90, said on Sunday the Deputy commander of land forces of the Islamic Republic of General Kiomars heidari. But the condition of the deal have, according to him, to be the transfer of production technology.

In early February, the commander of land forces of the Iranian army Brigadier General Ahmad Reza Pourdastan reported that the issue of Iran's purchase of these tanks was removed from the agenda.

"We still have interest in tanks T-90, but we have reached a level of production of their own tanks, which reduces the need to purchase such equipment abroad", - quoted the then commander of the Iranian media.

"Taking into account the volume of national production of battle tanks, the acquisition of T-90 removed from the agenda", - said Pourdastan, who in December last year reported that Iran was negotiating with Russia on the purchase of a batch of T-90 tanks.

As have explained today to journalists heidari, the Iranian side "is still not abandoned its intentions to get T-90, but ground forces were denied access to military equipment without transfer of the country the technology of its production".

This statement is made on the eve of planned on 15-16 February visit to Russia by Iranian defense Minister Hossein Dehgans. The Iranian defense Minister plans to discuss with the military-political leadership of Russia the bilateral, regional and international issues.

Shortly before the visit to Russia Dehghan expressed interest in equipping the Iranian air force Russian combat aircraft su-30.

"We also seek to sign with Russia the agreement on partnership in the development and production of fighter aircraft", - the Minister told Iranian media.

"If necessary we can purchase and complexes With-400", - he said.

Speaking about the contract on delivery to Iran ZRK With-300, the defense Minister said that "all Russian upgraded installation will be delivered in the first half of 2016".
    KoTeMoRe
    KoTeMoRe

Post  KoTeMoRe Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:05 pm

GunshipDemocracy wrote:Iran agrees to buy Russian T-90 only with the condition of technology transfer

http://www.interfax.ru/world/494612

Moscow. February 14. INTERFAX.RU - Iran has not abandoned plans to purchase from Russia tanks T-90, said on Sunday the Deputy commander of land forces of the Islamic Republic of General Kiomars heidari. But the condition of the deal have, according to him, to be the transfer of production technology.

In early February, the commander of land forces of the Iranian army Brigadier General Ahmad Reza Pourdastan reported that the issue of Iran's purchase of these tanks was removed from the agenda.

"We still have interest in tanks T-90, but we have reached a level of production of their own tanks, which reduces the need to purchase such equipment abroad", - quoted the then commander of the Iranian media.

"Taking into account the volume of national production of battle tanks, the acquisition of T-90 removed from the agenda", - said Pourdastan, who in December last year reported that Iran was negotiating with Russia on the purchase of a batch of T-90 tanks.

As have explained today to journalists heidari, the Iranian side "is still not abandoned its intentions to get T-90, but ground forces were denied access to military equipment without transfer of the country the technology of its production".

This statement is made on the eve of planned on 15-16 February visit to Russia by Iranian defense Minister Hossein Dehgans. The Iranian defense Minister plans to discuss with the military-political leadership of Russia the bilateral, regional and international issues.

Shortly before the visit to Russia Dehghan expressed interest in equipping the Iranian air force Russian combat aircraft su-30.

"We also seek to sign with Russia the agreement on partnership in the development and production of fighter aircraft", - the Minister told Iranian media.

"If necessary we can purchase and complexes With-400", - he said.

Speaking about the contract on delivery to Iran ZRK With-300, the defense Minister said that "all Russian upgraded installation will be delivered in the first half of 2016".

They can't buy tanks so they will buy plants...Iranians being nice and cozy. clown
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:55 pm

Minutes ago, Iranian Min.of Def. Gen. Dehghan arrived Moscow (Below picture)to negotiate for 160 Su-30SMs What a Face for IRIAF russia

https://twitter.com/BabakTaghvaee/status/699208670522036224

zepia
    zepia

Post  zepia Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:10 pm

George1 wrote:Minutes ago, Iranian Min.of Def. Gen. Dehghan arrived Moscow (Below picture)to negotiate for 160 Su-30SMs  What a Face  for IRIAF  russia

160!!!

Well, I think this must be coincidence  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes

George1 wrote:Su-30SME new export variant? SGAirshow

Russia - Iran Military Cooperation - Page 4 CbOfRZAUEAATgHm
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:13 pm

George1 wrote:Minutes ago, Iranian Min.of Def. Gen. Dehghan arrived Moscow (Below picture)to negotiate for 160 Su-30SMs  What a Face  for IRIAF  russia

Expected. I said few days ago, that Iran will order more than 100 Su-30, nearer to 200. Irkut will be really busy and will produce those Su-30 fighters for another decade. Maybe KNAAZ will start producing them, when Su-30MK2/M2 production will be finished or Iran will actually produce them itself.
    IR5

Post  IR5 Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:48 pm

Iranian Defense Minister was on a visit to Russia today. He met with President Vladimir Putin, Deputy Prime Minister, Defense Minister and a number of other officials.

MashreghNews reported that Iran is willing to buy 250 Sukhoi Su-30, K-300P Bastion-P, Mi-17, diesel-electric submarines (maybe Kilo-class) and 6-8 Frigates. Tehran, could also seek Russian expertise in repairing IRIAF’s fleet of the MiG-29s & Su-24s.

http://www.mashreghnews.ir/fa/news/536515/%D8%A7%DB%8C%D8%B1%D8%A7%D9%86-8-%D9%85%DB%8C%D9%84%DB%8C%D8%A7%D8%B1%D8%AF-%D8%AF%D9%84%D8%A7%D8%B1-%D8%B3%D9%84%D8%A7%D8%AD-%D8%A7%D8%B2-%D8%B1%D9%88%D8%B3%DB%8C%D9%87-%D8%AE%D8%B1%DB%8C%D8%AF%D8%A7%D8%B1%DB%8C-%D9%85%DB%8C-%DA%A9%D9%86%D8%AF

cheers russia
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:06 pm

Wow, whatever the truth in it that will have really made their day in Tel Aviv.

Could be a replica of the UK's valued Al Yamamah aircraft for Saudi oil deal, with Russian oil being shipped out of Iran.
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:19 pm

Aldin Abazović
    ‏@Ald_Aba

#Iran MODAFL confirms that first batch of S-300 to be sent tomorrow by #Caspian Sea.
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:28 pm

Photos at link. There is a serious relationship there, look at the handshake over the two photos. A Persian double hander.

Aldin Abazović
    ‏@Ald_Aba

#Iran Dehghan : "WTF Sergey you are late man"
    #Russia Sergey : Sorry friend had to order few airstrikes"

https://twitter.com/Ald_Aba/status/699729191063965699
    IR5

Post  IR5 Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:59 pm

8 bn $ contract signed #Russia - #Iran today Su 30 SME production in Iran under license

http://www.kommersant.ru/doc/2917271
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:27 pm

JohninMK wrote:Aldin Abazović
    ‏@Ald_Aba

#Iran MODAFL confirms that first batch of S-300 to be sent tomorrow by #Caspian Sea.

Ooooops, no dosh no good stuff

MOSCOW, February 17. /TASS/. Russia’s Defense Ministry has denied reports on the alleged dispatch of the S-300PMU-2 Favorit missile systems from Astrakhan to Iran on February 18.

Earlier, media outlets announced that the first batch of the S-300 systems would be dispatched to Iran on Thursday. The reports claimed that the Iranian defense minister was expected to be present at the ceremony held behind closed doors.

"The beginning of deliveries of the first consignment of Favorit missile systems cannot take place since the Iranian side has not paid the price enshrined in the contract as of February 16," a high-ranking representative of the Russian Defense Ministry told TASS on Wednesday commenting on these media reports.

"Therefore, the presence of the Iranian defense minister in Astrakhan at the mythical ceremony of dispatching the first Favorit systems to Tehran is out of the question," he added.

More: http://tass.ru/en/defense/857464
    zg18
    zg18

Post  zg18 Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:43 am

General Soleimani and young Russian soldier

Russia - Iran Military Cooperation - Page 4 Cbg8BWlW0AA1yYi
    nemrod
    nemrod

Russia - Iran Military Cooperation - Page 4 Empty Iran will buy SU-30 MS

Post  nemrod Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:32 pm

It is a matter of 160 SU-30 leaving Iran the first power of the Middle East, far ahead of Israel. At this step Iran is becoming the power it was during the Shah's era, but this time with far more assets. It is an industrial country. The mood is wan in Washinton, as this article from NationalInterrest witnesses. US's F-15 C, or F-22 could hardly match, the SU-30 has radar, and sensors that could detect the F-22, and have assets to beat him in dogfights.
    In the Middle east we are at turning point.

http://www.nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/the-middle-easts-nightmare-iran-buying-russias-lethal-su-30-15213

The Middle East's Nightmare: Iran Is Buying Russia's Lethal Su-30

Dave Majumdar

February 15, 2016

Iran looks set to sign a deal to purchase Russian-made Sukhoi Su-30 Flanker fighters as it upgrades its military forces following the nuclear deal, which cleared the way for sanctions to be lifted on Tehran. Iranian defense minister Brig. Gen. Hossein Dehghan is set to visit Moscow on February 16 to discuss the potential fighter buy, as well as to discuss deliveries of the Almaz-Antey S-300 air and missile defense system.

“Minister Dehgan will also discuss the delivery of Su-30 airplanes because the Defense Ministry believes the Iranian Air Force needs this type of plane. We’ve moved far in these discussions of purchases and I think that during the upcoming visit a contract will be signed,” an Iranian defense ministry source told the Russian state-run media outlet Sputnik.

Earlier, the Iranian Mehr News Agency had quoted Dehghan—who appeared on Iranian state TV—saying that Tehran needs to focus on modernizing its air force. To that end, Dehghan specifically cited the Su-30—but he did not indicate which version of Russian-built jet Tehran is interested in. “Today we need to pay attention to air force and aircraft and we seek to seal a deal with the Russians upon which we will have partnership in the construction and manufacturing of the jet fighter,” Dehghan said.

Presumably Iran would want one of the advanced variants similar to the aircraft operated by India, Malaysia, Algeria and Russia itself. However, it is also possible that Iran could opt for a variant of the more basic Su-30M2, which is also in service with the Russian Air Force. That variant is somewhat less expensive, which might make more sense considering Iran’s economic situation. Perhaps of note, Iran does not seem content with merely buying the Su-30; Tehran seems intent on license production of the aircraft.

The Su-30M2 variant, which is built in Komsomolsk-on-Amur in Russia’s far east, is missing the Su-30SM’s canards and thrust vectoring nozzles. It also has a less comprehensive avionics suite. Either way, the addition of any Su-30 variant would greatly increase the capabilities of the Iranian air force, which is mostly equipped with an antiquated mix of American-, Russian- and Chinese-built hardware.

The most advanced aircraft Iran currently has are a handful of American-built Grumman F-14A Tomcats and MiG-29s acquired either from the Soviet Union or aircraft that defected from Iraq. The rest of its arsenal is composed of geriatric F-4 Phantom IIs, locally modified F-5 Freedom Fighters and Chinese-build F-6 and F-7 aircraft—derivatives of the MiG-19 and the MiG-21 respectively. Most of Iran’s “indigenous” aircraft developments have been modifications to the Northrop F-5 airframe or ridiculous papier-mâché mockups like the Qaher-313 farce.

Dave Majumdar is the defense editor for the National Interest. You can follow him on Twitter: @davemajumdar.

magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:36 pm

I don't think Iran will buy 160 Su-30's, due to U.S. pressure, (who are now squealing) talking about that it goes against their agreement (weapons embargo still in place). I think they'll be a compromise, where Iran produces 160 Su-30's with ToT, but Moscow makes the same amount of profits (nearly the same as delivering them) in a work-around agreement.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:35 am

Hahahahaha... So they make the very basic model themselves in Iran and when it comes time to upgrade they can introduce all sorts of new stuff... AESA... RVV-BD, etc etc..

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:14 am