Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Video Games Thread

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Re: Video Games Thread

Post  GarryB on Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:14 am

I am keeping an eye on the DCS system... I have DCS Hokum but need to upgrade my computer to actually use it....

I want old and obscure planes to fly... Tu-128 Fiddlers, Su-17s, Su-15s, MiG-25s, Yak-25 Mandrakes...

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

Werewolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Werewolf on Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:10 pm

GarryB wrote:I am keeping an eye on the DCS system... I have DCS Hokum but need to upgrade my computer to actually use it....

I want old and obscure planes to fly... Tu-128 Fiddlers, Su-17s, Su-15s, MiG-25s, Yak-25 Mandrakes...

DCS Blackshark isn't that intensive with the performance you need. The only thing that is a must is a HOTAS and if you are going to play it for a longer term do not buy some mediocre HOTAS with only a few buttons, because you will need as many functions as necessary to bind to the HOTAS. It is a pain in the ass to constantly have to reach around your HOTAS to use mouse and press hotkeys over keyboard while you are flying and worse enemies engage you or wise versa. The other recommandation would be a webcam and a program that can track your head movement so you can look around in cockpit with your head instead of using mouse which again makes you handicapped to react with your HOTAS to makes maneuvers or adjust weapons launch cursor on target or countermeasure use etc. pp.

This simulation is absolutley astonishing and it gives you a nice feeling when you can destroy SHORAD stations out of their reach like Avangers, Nikes and Hawks. The flying is absolutley great, just flying through the map trying to do loops, mostly with deaths, because you need to learn how to do it smoothly and not jerking around the cycle and causing mast bumping and rotor collision but you can do it, done it but it is hard.

There is an awesome video that someone made with what you can do with the flying performance of the Blackshark in this simulation.

Can't find it right now but that guy does loops after loops, barrel rolls and is just a god with that simulator.

There are also some good fanmade movies like these two.

Arctic_Fox
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post  Arctic_Fox on Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:17 pm

RHS: Armed Forces of the Russian Federation (Arma 3 Mod)

you can download it for free here:
    http://www.rhsmods.org/mod/1

NationalRus
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post  NationalRus on Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:06 am

stumbled on some good old Fo3 videos, damn that was a good game, im somewhat disappointed in Fo4

Walther von Oldenburg
    Major
    Major

Post  Walther von Oldenburg on Fri May 13, 2016 1:35 pm

Guys, do you know good freeware planes for FSX? Light utility and business jets.

Walther von Oldenburg
    Major
    Major

Post  Walther von Oldenburg on Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:12 pm

I played HoI 4 already!

DTA
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post  DTA on Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:14 am

Walther von Oldenburg wrote:Guys, do you know good freeware planes for FSX? Light utility and business jets.
    http://www.avsim.su/f/fsx-originalnie-samoleti-79/

Everything for FSX on largest russian torrent
    http://rutracker.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=2145

Walther von Oldenburg wrote:I played HoI 4 already!

I'm really hate paradox, they just released magnificent Stellaris and now HoI4...

Walther von Oldenburg
    Major
    Major

Post  Walther von Oldenburg on Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:01 pm

HoI 4 AI behaves in a way that is borderline retarded - like pulling out a naval invasion of Germany after I completed my invasion of Poland. I could repel that invasion with an idle army from East Prussia. Outcome? 2k of my losses, 140k British losses.

Is losing ten divisions to destroy two regiments worth it?

higurashihougi
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  higurashihougi on Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:52 am

Wow, what a big catch

https://www.rt.com/viral/350325-pokemon-teen-dead-body/?utm_source=browser&utm_medium=aplication_chrome&utm_campaign=chrome

A 19-year-old stumbled upon a dead body while searching for a Pokemon with an augmented reality game she was playing on her smartphone.

Shayla Wiggins said she came across the body of a man as she was playing the game on her phone near the Big Wind River in Wyoming.

The ‘Pokemon Go’ augmented reality game was launched earlier in the week and requires players to visit various real world locations to “capture” virtual Pokemon.

Honestly I object the release of Pokemon Go. Imagine that a legendary pokemon appeared in the middle of the highway, do you risk your life to catch it ?

Walther von Oldenburg
    Major
    Major

Post  Walther von Oldenburg on Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:29 pm

First mods for HoI 4 are being released. One of them is Millenium Dawn: Modern Day Mod (not to be mistaken with the mod by PlayerHOI). It is still in very early version but already alows you to play 2 scenerios, one beginning in 2000 and another in 2016. You can for example play in the Syrian War as Syria, FSA, ISIS or Kurd. There is not much to do but good news is that new versions are released every week or so and the mod will become fairy playable before 2017 starts.

There is also a WW1 mod, a Cold War mod and a post-apocalypticc mod in the making - alongside several modern day mods.

Good times ahead for us players, I think...

OminousSpudd
    Major
    Major

Post  OminousSpudd on Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:10 pm

No Man's Sky

Walther von Oldenburg
    Major
    Major

Post  Walther von Oldenburg on Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:34 am

Any one played the Cold War mod for HoI4? It is available on Steam Workshop.

Walther von Oldenburg
    Major
    Major

Post  Walther von Oldenburg on Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:12 pm

A new v0.11 update to Millenium Dawn mod for HoI4 has just come out. It finally adds the war in Donbass with OOBs for both sides. Who of you wants to steeamroll down to Kiev? Now you got a chance. Smile

The mod has a problem with scalling and does not (yet?) take increased frontages into account. Units that should be 3-4k strong are actually about 10k strong in the game. Novorussian army should be about 50k strong but in the game it's ~150k.

AlfaT8
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  AlfaT8 on Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:46 pm

This one is so good i just had to share it.

Walther von Oldenburg
    Major
    Major

Post  Walther von Oldenburg on Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:30 am

My new PC has arrived. cheers

i7 3.4 GHz, 16 GB RAM, 8 GB Radeon... A beast.

Walther von Oldenburg
    Major
    Major

Post  Walther von Oldenburg on Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:42 pm

I bought Ultimate General: Civil War. A great game. It was a surprise that it covers all of the war (whole community thought the next game will be about Antietam only)

In FSZ I made my first landing using just elevator trim and power. Very smooth and pleasant experience. Wink

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:39 pm

Current date/time is Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:39 pm