Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Computer Games Discussion

milky_candy_sugar
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

Online chess game

Post  milky_candy_sugar on Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:18 pm

http://www.chesscube.com
    This is probably the best website to play online chess! If you got any other suggestions, please tell or else my nickname over there is milky0candy
    ^_^ join me!

solo.13mmfmj
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Re: Computer Games Discussion

Post  solo.13mmfmj on Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:27 am

Are you a good chess player?

milky_candy_sugar
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

Post  milky_candy_sugar on Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:08 am

Yeah more or less...i used to gamble on chess, ya know playing on bets

solo.13mmfmj
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Web browser game

Post  solo.13mmfmj on Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:41 pm

Web browser game that i play if anyone is interested can join at this link:
    http://www.anno1777.com/index.php?i=140232

solo.13mmfmj
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post  solo.13mmfmj on Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:16 pm

Nobody interested in the game?

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:11 am

I had a look, but I am not really interested in those sorts of games.

I am not really a strategy game person... and the picture of slave trading I find a little distasteful.

I would think in this day and age it might be clear to all that the greed is good and money is everything consumerism of the 80s and 90s and naughties doesn't lead anywhere worth going.

When an empire of 300 million can spend three quarters of a trillion dollars on "defence" but can't afford a health care citizens for all its taxpayers... a country that consumed more than the rest of the world combined and actually wanted to spread that ideology because it thinks it is the best is a little frightening to me.

Imagine a country with the population of China consuming at the rate of the US?

More lethal to the Earth than any bomb made by man.

solo.13mmfmj
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post  solo.13mmfmj on Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:03 pm

GarryB wrote:I had a look, but I am not really interested in those sorts of games.

I would think in this day and age it might be clear to all that the greed is good and money is everything consumerism of the 80s and 90s and naughties doesn't lead anywhere worth going.

When an empire of 300 million can spend three quarters of a trillion dollars on "defence" but can't afford a health care citizens for all its taxpayers... a country that consumed more than the rest of the world combined and actually wanted to spread that ideology because it thinks it is the best is a little frightening to me.

Imagine a country with the population of China consuming at the rate of the US?

More lethal to the Earth than any bomb made by man.

Is not a strategy game is more of an make lots of money game(this money can be transformed in real money to).I have no idea what this game has to do with USA spending on weapons and consuming a lot of stuff.

I am not really a strategy game person... and the picture of slave trading I find a little distasteful.
    Is just a game.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:41 am

And you are not suspicious of a game that lets you make real money?

Money doesn't come from no where.

To earn real money from this game it has to cost real money to play... or it has the dumbest business model in the world.

You have to collect more money than you give out for it to work... Business 101... unless it is a charity and there are donors giving you money for free.

solo.13mmfmj
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post  solo.13mmfmj on Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:35 pm

Some people invest real money in the game i don't.The game also has some commercials.

Wan2345
    Private
    Private

Browser game

Post  Wan2345 on Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:30 pm

solo.13mmfmj wrote:Web browser game that i play if anyone is interested can join at this link:
    http://www.anno1777.com/index.php?i=140232

Hi dude,

I cant sign up for this game.

It shows
    "We dont accept new registrations in this country"

solo.13mmfmj
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post  solo.13mmfmj on Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:20 pm

Some countries may not be able to join because frauds attempt in the past.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:30 am

Russian developers currently make the best flight sims... in my opinion of course, with Il-2 and its variants, and LOMAC, I wonder when they will come up with a Battlefield/OpFlashpoint type game with new Russian forces...

I suspect the overhaul and replenishment of the Russian forces will largely drive a change in the computer gaming industry to have the Russians as the rivals to the western forces again instead of Chinese or Arab forces...

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

TR1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  TR1 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:33 am

Russians are still the OPFOR in Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 3 and Arma2, 3 of the biggest MP FPS releases in recent years. Wink

The Chinese never really panned out as the bad guys for some reason.

Mr.Kalishnikov47
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post  Mr.Kalishnikov47 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:55 am

TR1 wrote:Russians are still the OPFOR in Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 3 and Arma2, 3 of the biggest MP FPS releases in recent years. Wink

The Chinese never really panned out as the bad guys for some reason.

That reminds me of a question I've been wanting to ask for some time. How do you Russians feel about the way you're portrayed in modern FPS games? For instance, how did you TR1 feel about the portrayal of the Soviet-Afghan war in Black Ops 2?

TR1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  TR1 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:01 am

Don't really care. I would like to see some games outside the typical "American good guys" theme; some role reversal would be nice.

Most shooters I only play the MP portion of anyways and could care less about SP, so as long as both sides are balanced, I'm good.

In Battlefield I do like the Russian voice acting, it is quite good and adds to immersion (bad guys talking broken English is lame).

Mr.Kalishnikov47
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post  Mr.Kalishnikov47 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:06 am

Thanks for the answer. As for me I don't really care either. The thing that irks me most is the inaccuracies of Russian equipment and gear. Although in BF3 the Russian's Humvee type vehicle being the Vodnik was pretty funny.

Oh, and how could I forget the Lebed buggy? Laughing

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:12 pm

I am not Russian but the thing that irks me the most is what TR-1 hints at... balance.

I don't want to play a game where the sides are largely balanced, I want games where each weapon is different and realistically portrayed so that their advantages and disadvantages can be exploited by someone with a bit of knowledge... as opposed to being able to just pick up a controller and do everything.

Of course things like OpFp where all tanks had 3 crew... even Abrams tanks and M60s and T-55s had autoloaders...

I did like the Red Hammer portion of the game, but pretty bored with the cliche story line... it seems that to be right you have to have an American accent... it couldn't possibly be that the people you are following orders from could be wrong and to be a hero and play the Russian you have to end up going rogue.

Of course there was a time when plots were simple like Redneck Rampage and Doom II... kill the monsters.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

collegeboy16
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  collegeboy16 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:20 pm

Haha, BF3 is nice and all but T-90s in Iran? Oh, and that part where you got to shoot that Su-25 with a flimsy stinger, it made me cringed when it went boom one time. However that part where you ride a tinted van as Dima, that part was a little balls to the wall for anyone, even VDV dont you think?

flamming_python
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  flamming_python on Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:15 pm

TR1 wrote:Don't really care. I would like to see some games outside the typical "American good guys" theme; some role reversal would be nice.

Most shooters I only play the MP portion of anyways and could care less about SP, so as long as both sides are balanced, I'm good.

In Battlefield I do like the Russian voice acting, it is quite good and adds to immersion (bad guys talking broken English is lame).

It's good, just very hollywoodish =) Nothing like the radio chatter you'd actually expect to hear with callsigns and so on.

flamming_python
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  flamming_python on Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:18 pm

GarryB wrote:I did like the Red Hammer portion of the game, but pretty bored with the cliche story line... it seems that to be right you have to have an American accent... it couldn't possibly be that the people you are following orders from could be wrong and to be a hero and play the Russian you have to end up going rogue.

I think that's pretty much the storyline of BF3 actually; although I haven't progressed further than the 2nd level.
    You play as both an American and Russian at different periods I think, and towards the end playing as the American, you betray orders from your superiors and trust the Russian, in order to save the world from WW3. Or something like that. Oh I don't know.

Werewolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

Computer Games Discussion

Post  Werewolf on Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:11 pm

To pick up the conversation about russian games and simulations there is one that is called Digital Combat Simulator: Combined Arms. You can play it as a strategic game and also have access to control single units it is from Eagle Dynamics like Black Shark, A-10 Warthog and LOMAC. Eagly Dynamics had provided a plattform called DCS World, where two or more people who have only let's say one has LockOn the other has Ka-50 Black Shark and another A-10 Warthog can play together without needing to buy each game. I think it is a very good solution because even to manage operating one of this machines in the best simulator that was ever created is a full time job and you just couldn't do that with couple of simulators just to play with friends missions all on one and same machine so this DCS world is perfect they can even play A-10 and Black Shark in same team.
    i wouldn't be suprised if in future russian developers would make simulators like Arma.

Here a little trailer to DCS combined arms

And the other discussion about games like BF3 i also get for that what GarryB said that they should make them diffrent that the game become a more shape of teamwork because of inbalance in same areas,because the game become from a great multiplayer game where people really had played with their team members to just an arcade like shooter.
    Just to remind you, they made the Mi-28 to a slow unmaneuverable helicopter but all other stats were completley identical with the AH-1Z so it wasn't played often and it was hated, it hadn't better armor,it wasn't more powerfull even it has S-8 unguided missiles which are superior in damage and so on.However i don't like this unrealistic scenario that T-90 has "canister ammunition" and Abrams has the ATGM, also the ERA tiles are completley useless they only made them on side and slat armor on backside. Or the most ridiculous thing that Javelin a HEAT weapon is one kill against Helicopters and Jets and that it can be used against them even if they maneuver like squirels on crack.
    Also russians have in the game German 5 Flecktarn camoflauge, they use 1:1 american M18A1 Claymore instead of MON-90,grenades the same instead of F1 or RGO, Javelin instead of putting even the ukrainian skif to the russian units that it would make it less wierd.
    And they won't leave their path from "good americans" and bad "russians,chinese,iranians, or whatever" They use not only Hollywood to make and generate opinions in peoples head they use also video games for that. And i don't know a single video game (egoshooter) where americans don't fight against bad communists,fascists,terrorists or fascistic,communistic and terroristic SS-Zombies.And especially in todays time where they push more and more propaganda towards Iran and their "nuclear weapons" they won't allow any optional opinion to that theme.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:43 pm

That DCS world sounds awesome... I remember Apache Havoc and Commanche Hokum being able to be linked together so if you had both games installed you could play in all the helos and all the campaigns.

Combining fixed wing aircraft and helicopters simulators means better scenery and flight control/models, while a ground based sim like a tank sim or an air defence vehicle sim or a first person shootemup sim added would just be awesome too.

I remember a really old game called Frontier Elite II that came on one floppy disk where you could fly around in a customisable space ship that you could upgrade and arm and you could decide how to earn money. Space combat and flying around an unlimited galaxy was cool but you could only visit space ports and space stations to trade. You could physically land on planets but you couldn't leave your spaceship.

I think the idea of linking games together should be encouraged to the point where you can choose to fly or walk or drive or sail or swim, and explore and fight if you want, but also mine or farm or build.

BTW you can still download Frontier elite II and use a DOSbox emulator to play it on a modern PC.

Note I have moved this discussion out of the Russian ground forces news and pictures section.

Also russians have in the game German 5 Flecktarn camoflauge, they use 1:1 american M18A1 Claymore instead of MON-90,grenades the same instead of F1 or RGO, Javelin instead of putting even the ukrainian skif to the russian units that it would make it less wierd.

They should have MON-50, RGO, and METIS-M missiles.

And i don't know a single video game (egoshooter) where americans don't fight against bad communists,fascists,terrorists or fascistic,communistic and terroristic SS-Zombies.And especially in todays time where they push more and more propaganda towards Iran and their "nuclear weapons" they won't allow any optional opinion to that theme.

With their technology focus and new simulators the Russian Army was talking about making a Russian equivalent of Americas Army. That would be awesome as it should include accurate weapons and equipment, but it will likely only be made in a Russian language version. Sad

TR1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Warhammer!

Post  TR1 on Tue May 07, 2013 8:58 pm

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy, whatever....

anyone else play, played, or have any interest in the hobby of tabletop gaming?

BTRfan
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

Post  BTRfan on Wed May 08, 2013 4:10 am

TR1 wrote:Warhammer 40k, Fantasy, whatever....

anyone else play, played, or have any interest in the hobby of tabletop gaming?

I had probably $5,000+ dollars invested in Warhammer 40k and Warhammer Fantasy but I sold 95% of my stuff back in 2007 when I realized I was way too busy with college and that I hadn't played in a number of years anyway.

I was pretty intense with Warhammer back in 2000-2003, I went to several international Games Day events in Ontario.

Right now I have enough miniatures and rule books to get some medieval Teutonic Knights wargaming going and in the near future I hope to get some Warsaw Pact/NATO Cold War wargaming going, but I am also taking up Cold War re-enacting [as a Warsaw Pact soldier], and I am somewhat busy with my other hobbies and life in general.

Someday I'll get back into Warhammer 40K, almost certainly as Imperial Guard and/or Space Marines.

TR1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  TR1 on Wed May 08, 2013 5:25 am

I've been on-off-again with Warhamer for many years now, just purchased the new 6th edition rulebook and codex, going to slowly paint and build up my army. The 6th ed rules are are pretty good IMO.
    Not too big on playing with strangers, so my comittment to the game really depends on family/close friends being nearby, which they are currently not.

I collect Chaos Space Marines btw.

Oh and the prices are freaking astronomical.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:55 pm

Current date/time is Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:55 pm