Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+68
Eugenio Argentina
Walther von Oldenburg
Firebird
JohninMK
thegopnik
nomadski
Kiko
Serberus
Mig-31BM2 Super Irbis-E
higurashihougi
zorobabel
VARGR198
lancelot
mr_hd
mnztr
Arkanghelsk
Broski
ALAMO
ATLASCUB
miketheterrible
PapaDragon
Backman
Isos
kvs
Rodion_Romanovic
PhSt
LMFS
Hole
berhoum
TheArmenian
KiloGolf
auslander
mutantsushi
ExBeobachter1987
Erk
BKP
franco
Russian Patriot
Flagship Victory
Cyberspec
Akula971
max steel
Werewolf
AlfaT8
Neutrality
sepheronx
NationalRus
KoTeMoRe
par far
Mr.Comrade
Karl Haushofer
whir
Khepesh
d_taddei2
etaepsilonk
Mike E
GustavoHF
T055
mack8
magnumcromagnon
Intrigado
GarryB
TR1
Regular
flamming_python
Zivo
Hannibal Barca
George1
72 posters

Moldova and Transnistria Situation Thread

mack8
    mack8

Moldova and Transnistria Situation Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Moldova and Transnistria Situation Thread

Post  mack8 Mon May 05, 2014 11:16 pm

Yes well looks like i was indeed wrong about you. Sorry, but as long as i at least still have romanian citizenship, i can "calumniate" the bad and despicable traits that i've seen and experienced first hand over there all i want. The pathetic "patriot" crap doesn't fly with me. Just ignore my posts or whatever. If you want to remain anchored in the derisory middle age mentality i mentioned, and not get your head out of the sand and even dare to look at the future and think how to make it a BETTER future, suit yourself. Oh and have no idea what forum you're talking about, i've never said that (the heck is Budjak anyway?).
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Moldova and Transnistria Situation Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Moldova and Transnistria Situation Thread

Post  flamming_python Tue May 06, 2014 2:49 am

Transdniestr, 5th May

Khatyn - Odessa, we mourn..
    Moldova and Transnistria Situation Thread - Page 2 Hklnikjpg_3436416_11987808

Moldova and Transnistria Situation Thread - Page 2 GetImage97_4830002_11987857

ODESSA PMR*
    Moldova and Transnistria Situation Thread - Page 2 Mbjkbjpg_5335225_11987813

Eternal memory of the fallen of Odessa, Kramatorsk & Slavyansk
    Moldova and Transnistria Situation Thread - Page 2 GetImaoipl_1151701_11987871

Moldova and Transnistria Situation Thread - Page 2 GetImageoo_5986751_11987868

Moldova and Transnistria Situation Thread - Page 2 GetImage98_3314103_11987860

Eternal memory of the fallen of Odessa
    Moldova and Transnistria Situation Thread - Page 2 GetImage95_3227879_11987855

* = Pridnestrovian Moldovan Republic
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:11 pm

Moscow Slams Moldova's Attempts to Push Russian Peacekeepers from Transnistria

MOSCOW, August 4 (RIA Novosti) - Moscow considers attempts by Moldova's authorities to interfere with the work of the Russian peacekeeping mission in the self-proclaimed republic of Transnistria as "an unfriendly move" that could escalate tensions in the region, the Foreign Ministry said on Monday.

The ministry said in a statement that Chisinau had recently resumed a propaganda campaig, aimed at forcing the withdrawal of Russian peacekeepers from the region as well as at changing the status of the current trilateral peacekeeping mission, operating in the region under an international mandate.

“Any actions, aimed at destabilizing the situation in the region, attempts to push the Russian peacekeeping contingent, operating in the region under the auspices of the Joint Control Commission, from Transnistria, will be considered by Russia as unfriendly acts undermining the foundations of the peacekeeping operation…,” the statement said.

In 1990, the breakaway republic of Transnistria, with a predominantly Russian and Ukrainian population, declared its independence from Moldova in a move, which led to armed hostilities in 1992. Moldova tried to resolve the conflict with the use of military force, but lost all control and influence over the region.

After the end of violence, the presidents of Russia and Moldova in the presence of Transnistria’s representatives signed an agreement on the Principles of a Peaceful Settlement of the Armed Conflict in the Transnistrian Region of the Republic of Moldova. The deal paved the way for the establishment of a tripartite peacekeeping force. Currently 402 Russian, 492 Transnistrian and 355 Moldovan servicemen, as well as 10 Ukrainian military observers are keeping peace in the conflict zone.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:42 pm

Transdniestria ready to repel any armed aggression

TIRASPOL, August 12, 0:42 /ITAR-TASS/. Transdniestria, a breakaway region of Moldova, is ready to repel any armed aggression, the unrecognised republic’s leader Yevgeny Shevchuk said on Monday.

“Transdniestria’s security forces are ready to repel any armed aggression,” he said and noted “increased information pressure” on the republic, which, in his opinion, is whipping up tensions among people.

Shevchuk also said that all government agencies were working as usual and the republic was “not preparing to attack its neighbours”.

Kiev officials earlier accused Transdniestria of preparing subversive groups and conducting reconnaissance in Ukraine.

In late July, Ukraine’s border guard service started digging a 3.5-m deep moat along the 450-km stretch of the border with Transdniestria to prevent possible invasion and smuggling.

Transdniestria’s security forces said they had intelligence reports indicating that armed provocations on the border with Ukraine were being prepared. The sides also accused each other of shooting in the border-lying regions.
    T055

Post  T055 Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:39 pm

George1 wrote:Transdniestria ready to repel any armed aggression

Transdniestria’s security forces said they had intelligence reports indicating that armed provocations on the border with Ukraine were being prepared. The sides also accused each other of shooting in the border-lying regions.

This is the area Kiev Junta is going to attack after Donbass has been finished of in total ruin. If not Tiraspol, then Gagauz/Comrat is going down, the hard way.

Regarding Gagauz, as far as I know, there are no Russian forces there. Or any other self-defense forces there. So if not Tiraspol is going down, then the city of Comrat for sure.

GustavoHF

Post  GustavoHF Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:37 am

T055 wrote:

This is the area Kiev Junta is going to attack after Donbass has been finished of in total ruin. If not Tiraspol, then Gagauz/Comrat is going down, the hard way.

Regarding Gagauz, as far as I know, there are no Russian forces there. Or any other self-defense forces there. So if not Tiraspol is going down, then the city of Comrat for sure.

Well, that´s a possibility, but in this case I think that the Kiev Junta will give Putin the motivation to act not only in Donbass, but in all the southeast region of Ukraine, including a naval strike in Odessa. And it would be very hard to explain an attack to a country like Moldova that is also a member of the Eastern Partnership. In this case, I think that Ukraine would only acelerate the desintegration of the country.
    Mike E
    Mike E

Post  Mike E Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:51 am

GustavoHF wrote:
    T055 wrote:

Well, that´s a possibility, but in this case I think that the Kiev Junta will give Putin the motivation to act not only in Donbass, but in all the southeast region of Ukraine, including a naval strike in Odessa. And it would be very hard to explain an attack to a country like Moldova that is also a member of the Eastern Partnership. In this case, I think that Ukraine would only acelerate the desintegration of the country.

welcome 

I doubt Ukraine would even think of invading Transdniestria... For a couple of reasons;

A) Makes Kiev look even worse, which would screw up their relationship with the West. - It has already been shaken, but this could break it completely.

B) They are "struggling" in the east of Ukraine already, they probably couldn't wage two battles at one time.

C) If they invaded, chances are that Moldova would respond military, along with Transdniestria. Moldova has a decently military force, and could push Ukraine back into their own territory. Moldova is also somewhat an ally to Russia, so Russia themselves could send support.
    GustavoHF

Post  GustavoHF Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:58 pm

Mike E wrote:
    GustavoHF wrote:
    T055 wrote:

welcome 

I doubt Ukraine would even think of invading Transdniestria... For a couple of reasons;

A) Makes Kiev look even worse, which would screw up their relationship with the West. - It has already been shaken, but this could break it completely.

B) They are "struggling" in the east of Ukraine already, they probably couldn't wage two battles at one time.

C) If they invaded, chances are that Moldova would respond military, along with Transdniestria. Moldova has a decently military force, and could push Ukraine back into their own territory. Moldova is also somewhat an ally to Russia, so Russia themselves could send support.

Yes, I agree with you. And if the Kiev Junta decides to invade Transdniestria, we would have a situation where Russian troops were involved directly in the conflit. So Putin wouldn´t have another choice but to march into Ukraine.
    Mike E
    Mike E

Post  Mike E Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:07 pm

Another thing to think about is what Ukraine would even gain from the land of Transnistria... There really isn't a whole lot there!
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:07 pm

Moldova is certainly not an ally of Russia and if Kiev were to invade Pridnestrovie - it won't fight against Kiev, it will fight with it as they'd share the exact same allegiances and goals - getting rid of the pro-Russian client state between them.
    Moldova has a pro-EU government right now (albeit a legitimate, elected one which seems to be a rare thing, compared to the amount of 'democractic' governments that were installed by undemocratic revolutions in the ex-USSR), and is very much following Brussels in terms of foreign policy - Merkel's visit there last year was a keystone event.

As has been mentioned by articles posted in in this very thread, Moldova is in fact stepping up its antagonism towards Russia, which it has so far tread very lightly around despite its pro-EU government. But the extent of this isn't known, it may be that a elephant is being blown out of a fly so to speak. But certainly - they are vocally unenthusiastic about the Russian peacekeeper contingent and have been for quite some time.
    They are also worried about the extremely pro-Russian sentiments in Gagauzia and a few other places in the country, according to kalerab over @ mp.net in any case - they've passed a law against seperatism directly aimed at the Gagauzians and have stepped up their security services' activities in the area.

But I doubt they're going to do anything against Pridnestrovie; Russian peacekeepers and all that - no matter how of a good opportunity it may seem to try and take back Pridnestrovie now; there's no such thing as a 'good opportunity' when it comes to attacking Russian forces - it's pretty much guaranteed to end in pain. And given that the Moldovan government has been pretty rational and has learnt from the mistakes of Saaka, Yushchenko & co. when it comes to cutting-away from the Russian sphere of influence, I doubt they'd go for such a brash move.

Kiev won't either and not only because of the Russian peacekeepers. It will certainly blockade Pridnestrovie, but it can't spare the forces for any attack whatsoever; no matter how unimpressive the Pridnestrovian military might be - they are dug-in and defending, while Kiev with its less than impressive military capabilities would need to muster 3x the troops of the defenders to stand a decent chance of a successful operation. But every soldier it would send there is one less for the Donbass - where the threat is far more immediate and closer.

In light of all this, Pridnestrovie's call for mobilization yesterday comes as a bit of a mystery. Is it a display for domestic morale or for potential aggressors? Or what are they expecting exactly? Some action in Gagauzia? Or perhaps...

Yes, I agree with you. And if the Kiev Junta decides to invade Transdniestria, we would have a situation where Russian troops were involved directly in the conflit. So Putin wouldn´t have another choice but to march into Ukraine.

Yep this is a potential worry - that Kiev could actually be so suicidal as to seal the doom of its entire armed forces in return for showing Putin as the 'aggressor'. But that would be a stupid idea even by their standards, Western media weren't able to cover up the attack on Russian peacekeepers back in 2008 as the real reason for the outbreak of war, and they won't be able to do so now either.
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:29 pm

flamming_python wrote:Moldova is certainly not an ally of Russia and if Kiev were to invade Pridnestrovie - it won't fight against Kiev, it will fight with it as they'd share the exact same allegiances and goals - getting rid of the pro-Russian client state between them.
    Moldova has a pro-EU government right now (albeit a legitimate, elected one which seems to be a rare thing, compared to the amount of 'democractic' governments that were installed by undemocratic revolutions in the ex-USSR), and is very much following Brussels in terms of foreign policy - Merkel's visit there last year was a keystone event.
    =

Actually the Pro-Eu govt. came in through a color revolution, one of the first pilots of the 'Twitter Revolution', and now with more and more evidence that American based social media sites are hubs for U.S. spying and subversion activity, the U.S. State Dept. even tried to create a Pro-US twitter/social media like site in Cuba to create subversion and stir up political tensions. Color Revolutions include everything from twisting of the media coverage of events, extensive outside funding for subversive 5th column NGO's, falsifying pre-election and post-election polls, to outright sanctions against the current govt. in power that the U.S. State Dept. wants deposed off. The real reason Moldova hasn't acted more hastily anti-Russian is that it's similar to the case of the political leadership of Bulgaria, Serbia, Greece, Macedonia is that the their clearly puppets of the U.S. State Dept. but it's evident that would be political suicide to have a clear-cut anti-Russian mantra.
    Mike E
    Mike E

Post  Mike E Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:23 pm

That is why I added in the "somewhat"... Moldova is a member of CIS and EAEC, so they aren't completely "anti-Russia". As such, I doubt they would side with Ukraine, but, who knows...
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:38 pm

Russia Vows to Preserve Peace in Breakaway Transnistria – Russian Official

TIRASPOL, August 22 (RIA Novosti) – Russian Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin said Friday Russia would fulfill its obligations to preserve peace in the self-proclaimed republic of Transnistria, a narrow strip of land between Moldova and Ukraine that has been in a conflict with Moldova since the 1990s.

“Russia will fulfill all its obligations to their full extent and until the end as a guarantor of peace in this land,” Rogozin said at an event near the republic’s capital city Tiraspol commemorating the 70th anniversary of the Soviet attack on Axis forces in Moldova.

The senior Russian official stressed that Ukraine and Moldova were both seeking to isolate the breakaway republic and have barred its citizens from traveling abroad, but said that Russia would not abandon its nationals living in Transnistria.

As much as 30 percent of Transnistria’s population is ethnic Russian, with many also having Russian or Ukrainian citizenship.

In 1990, Transnistria, with a predominantly Russian and Ukrainian population, declared its independence from Moldova in a move that led to armed hostilities in 1992. Moldova tried to resolve the conflict through force, but lost all control and influence over the region.

After the end of hostilities, the presidents of Russia and Moldova, in the presence of Transnistrian representatives, signed an agreement on the Principles of the Peaceful Settlement of the Armed Conflict in the Transnistrian Region of the Republic of Moldova.

The deal paved the way for the establishment of a tripartite peacekeeping force. Currently 402 Russian, 492 Transnistrian and 355 Moldovan servicemen, as well as 10 Ukrainian military observers are keeping the peace in the conflict zone.
    Mike E
    Mike E

Post  Mike E Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:31 pm

- There you have it!
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:00 am

Moscow concerned over Romanian PM’s annexationist statements — Foreign Ministry

MOSCOW, September 16. /ITAR-TASS/. .Moscow regards as unacceptable Romanian Prime Minister Victor Ponta’s speculations about eventual annexation of Moldova, the Russian Foreign Ministry said in a statement.

Moscow “is concerned over Prime Minister Victor Ponta’s statements regarding the future of the republic of Moldova he made at a meeting with activists of the Social-Democratic Party in Alba-Iulia on September 14,” the Russian Foreign Ministry said in a commentary.

“As follows from frank calls by the Romanian presidential candidate for completing a ‘second great unification’ by 2018, certain political quarters in Bucharest are still hatching annexationist plans regarding a sovereign neighbouring country,” the commentary runs.

Russia regards as “irresponsible and unacceptable the external replications of such statements in the context of the ongoing election campaign in the republic of Moldova.”

“We expect that the authorities in Chisinau will assess them properly. We also hope that a corresponding reaction from Brussels and the European capitals will follow,” the Russian Foreign Ministry said.
    Intrigado

Post  Intrigado Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:03 pm

George1 wrote:Moscow concerned over Romanian PM’s annexationist statements — Foreign Ministry

MOSCOW, September 16. /ITAR-TASS/. .Moscow regards as unacceptable Romanian Prime Minister Victor Ponta’s speculations about eventual annexation of Moldova, the Russian Foreign Ministry said in a statement.

Moscow “is concerned over Prime Minister Victor Ponta’s statements regarding the future of the republic of Moldova he made at a meeting with activists of the Social-Democratic Party in Alba-Iulia on September 14,” the Russian Foreign Ministry said in a commentary.

“As follows from frank calls by the Romanian presidential candidate for completing a ‘second great unification’ by 2018, certain political quarters in Bucharest are still hatching annexationist plans regarding a sovereign neighbouring country,” the commentary runs.

Russia regards as “irresponsible and unacceptable the external replications of such statements in the context of the ongoing election campaign in the republic of Moldova.”

“We expect that the authorities in Chisinau will assess them properly. We also hope that a corresponding reaction from Brussels and the European capitals will follow,” the Russian Foreign Ministry said.

For the love of God. A "second great unification" would also imply annexing territories which currently belong to Bulgaria and Ukraine and none of them felt threatened by that little fool' statements. No one plans to "annex" any territory presently belonging to the republic of Moldova; just to think of it, the pensions and wages for public employees are far lower in Moldova than in Romania, where would we find the money to finance our public expenditures' sudden increase? Does anyone think that EU or the US would be ready to give their taxpayers' hard-earned money to finance this endeavor? Besides, however that may sound, the republic of Moldova is today completely useless to Romania so, beyond statements issued for electoral purposes, nothing would vex us more than to find ourselves again with Bessarabia on our hands.

I don't believe Lavrov doesn't know all this so I can only wonder why did he stage this show. Is he planning a military intervention in Transnistria using as excuse these highly questionable statements?
    Mike E
    Mike E

Post  Mike E Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:21 pm

I honestly don't get why anyone would even want to annex Transnistria in the first place... They don't have much land, no resources, a terrible economy that would be a pain to recover etc. The only "thing" there is a population of mostly Russians, Ukrainians, and of course Moldovans. The only that would use it strategy is Russia, and I doubt that they are even thinking about an annexation.

- Russia wouldn't annex as Transnistria wants to join the Federation anyway.
    Intrigado

Post  Intrigado Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:48 pm

Mike E wrote:I honestly don't get why anyone would even want to annex Transnistria in the first place... They don't have much land, no resources, a terrible economy that would be a pain to recover etc. The only "thing" there is a population of mostly Russians, Ukrainians, and of course Moldovans. The only that would use it strategy is Russia, and I doubt that they are even thinking about an annexation.

Perish the thought! Just imagine, to lose your only exit to the Danube and the Black Sea which it's said to have a western continental shelf rich in gas and perhaps oil and to get Transnistria in exchange. Nightmarish. That's why I say that Ukraine didn't protest much when it received a string of foreign territories from USSR but guess what, Russia has always oppressed and persecuted them. Really, now?
    Intrigado

Post  Intrigado Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:05 pm

Mike E wrote:I honestly don't get why anyone would even want to annex Transnistria in the first place...

Hell if I know. Rumor goes that Russia would intervene in Transnistria either to pressure the government of Kishinev into accepting the country's federalization or something like that or to discourage it from strengthening ties with the EU or to somehow threaten the Ukrainian region of Odessa. Transnistria could be nothing more than a pawn to be used either again Moldova or Ukraine and the trouble is that no one can guess Vladimir Putin's next move.
    Mike E
    Mike E

Post  Mike E Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:21 pm

Intrigado wrote:
    Mike E wrote:I honestly don't get why anyone would even want to annex Transnistria in the first place...

Hell if I know. Rumor goes that Russia would intervene in Transnistria either to pressure the government of Kishinev into accepting the country's federalization or something like that or to discourage it from strengthening ties with the EU or to somehow threaten the Ukrainian region of Odessa. Transnistria could be nothing more than a pawn to be used either again Moldova or Ukraine and the trouble is that no one can guess Vladimir Putin's next move.
    Like I mentioned earlier, Russia wouldn't annex Transnistria but rather have them join the Federation like they want.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:54 am

Parties supporting Eurasian integration leading in Moldova parliamentary elections

Party of Socialists is gaining 23.4%, the Party of Communists is in second place with 20.2%

CHISINAU, December 1. /TASS/. Two parties supporting Eurasian integration are leading in Moldova’s parliamentary elections held Sunday, according to preliminary results from the Moldovan Central Election Commission (CEC).

The Party of Socialists of the Republic of Moldova (PSRM) is gaining 23.4% with 30% of ballots counted. The Party of Communists is in second place with 20.2%.

They are followed by parties making part of the ruling pro-European coalition - the Liberal Democratic Party (17%), the Democratic Party (16.4%), the Liberal Party (5.8%). The other parties are not passing the 6-percent electoral threshold.
    Zivo
    Zivo

Post  Zivo Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:56 am

While the party that gained the most support is pro Russian, the coalition of pro-EU parties garnered more total support. There's a good chunk of Moldavians/moldovites/whatever giving the EU the middle finger.

This country is going to have a rocky marriage with the EU.
    etaepsilonk

Post  etaepsilonk Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:36 pm

Zivo wrote:While the party that gained the most support is pro Russian, the coalition of pro-EU parties garnered more total support. There's a good chunk of Moldavians/moldovites/whatever giving the EU the middle finger.

Remember the good ol' days when political parties were defined as left or right leaning?

How long ago it was, now it's all about pro-russian, pro-european Rolling Eyes
    Zivo
    Zivo

Post  Zivo Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:13 am

etaepsilonk wrote:
    Zivo wrote:While the party that gained the most support is pro Russian, the coalition of pro-EU parties garnered more total support. There's a good chunk of Moldavians/moldovites/whatever giving the EU the middle finger.

Remember the good ol' days when political parties were defined as left or right leaning?

How long ago it was, now it's all about pro-russian, pro-european  Rolling Eyes

Welcome to the era of globalization.
    etaepsilonk

Post  etaepsilonk Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:14 am

Zivo wrote:
    etaepsilonk wrote:

How long ago it was, now it's all about pro-russian, pro-european  Rolling Eyes

Welcome to the era of globalization.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

"Why do you keep pestering me about those money bags I received from abroad? I only took them because, hey, globalization".

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:24 pm