Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+68
Eugenio Argentina
Walther von Oldenburg
Firebird
JohninMK
thegopnik
nomadski
Kiko
Serberus
Mig-31BM2 Super Irbis-E
higurashihougi
zorobabel
VARGR198
lancelot
mr_hd
mnztr
Arkanghelsk
Broski
ALAMO
ATLASCUB
miketheterrible
PapaDragon
Backman
Isos
kvs
Rodion_Romanovic
PhSt
LMFS
Hole
berhoum
TheArmenian
KiloGolf
auslander
mutantsushi
ExBeobachter1987
Erk
BKP
franco
Russian Patriot
Flagship Victory
Cyberspec
Akula971
max steel
Werewolf
AlfaT8
Neutrality
sepheronx
NationalRus
KoTeMoRe
par far
Mr.Comrade
Karl Haushofer
whir
Khepesh
d_taddei2
etaepsilonk
Mike E
GustavoHF
T055
mack8
magnumcromagnon
Intrigado
GarryB
TR1
Regular
flamming_python
Zivo
Hannibal Barca
George1
72 posters

Moldova and Transnistria Situation Thread

George1
    George1

Moldova and Transnistria Situation Thread Empty Moldova/Transnistria situation thread:

Post  George1 Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:47 pm

I think there will be the next battlefield with the west..

After Crimea, Transnistria awaits 'Mother Russia'

Following Russia's annexation of Crimea, many people in the unrecognized breakaway province of Moldova hope they will be next in line.

“The will expressed by the people in Crimea and Transnistria demonstrates that the Russian world is uniting. The people’s wish for unity can't be stopped.”

Transnistria’s Foreign Minister, Nina Shtansky, 36, was in fighting mood, speaking last week.

As the political crisis between Russia and Ukraine deepens, most Transnistrians hope that the moment they have awaited for 24 years finally has arrived.

People here see their future with and within Russia - not in Moldova, the former Soviet republic to which Transnistria officially belongs.

When crossing the border of the self-proclaimed state, the Moldovan phone signal starts fading away.

Moldova does not recognize the border, nor does any other country in the world, Russia included.

But beyond the Dniester, the river that forms the de-facto frontier, Moldova has no say. In the border town of Bender, Russian troops guard the demilitarized zone.

Everything in Transnistria breathes of Russia. For a start, most people speak Russian as their first language. They go to school in Russian, too.

The products they buy are also Russian. Besides the red-green Transnistrian flag, the Russian flag waves over the banks of the Dniester.

The Soviet Union seems alive and well here. Around 60 statues of Lenin are dotted around the land of half a million people. Every village has its own Lenin.

The biggest stands proudly in front of the presidential building in the centre of the capital, Tiraspol. Taking photographs here is prohibited. Street banners show no advertisements, either.

Most European countries advise travelers to avoid the territory, as it is a not recognized state and has no foreign embassies, except for two somewhat symbolic embassies from Abkhazia and South Ossetia, two other unrecognized states, which Russia wrenched from Georgia.

It is possibly the most wholly Russian-minded piece of territory in all Europe. Unsurprisingly, therefore, locals greeted the news of Russia’s expansion into Crimea last week with joy.

“This shows us that our wish to be with Russia is getting closer and closer,” Andrey Smolenskiy, a Transnistrian tour guide, said, driving through Tiraspol to the “Immigration Office”, where visitors have to be registered during their stay in Transnistria.

“Everything is possible now. Transnistria can also become a part of the Russian Federation,” he added.

It is almost impossible to find anyone in Transnistria who opposes unification with Russia. In a referendum held in 2006, 97 per cent of locals voted to become part of Russia. “I'm sure if a referendum was held this week, the result would be 99.9 per cent,” Smolenskiy laughed.

As the Soviet Union began to collapse, Transnistria declared independence from Moldova, then still a republic inside the USSR.

Transnistria had always been Russian speaking and locals did not want to remain part of a Moldova that was heading towards independence and was leaning towards Romania – of which it once was part.

With the help of the Russian army, locals fought a brief and bloody war with Moldova in 1992. The conflict, which cost 300 lives, led to the creation of a demilitarized zone patrolled by the Russian army, which is still there today. The situation is once of the world’s “frozen” conflicts.

Internationally, Transnistria remains part of Moldova. But there is little communication between Tiraspol and Chisinau. Not even telephone landlines work between the two sides.

Over a third of the population hold Russian passports. Some have Moldovan or Ukrainian passports. The size of the queues forming daily in front of the Russian consulate in Tiraspol show that getting a Russian passport is increasingly popular.

Sasha, a 29-year-old lawyer from Tiraspol, holds a Ukrainian passport but wants to change it. “Ukraine has become a crazy country, I see no future there,” he said. “I feel Russian, and Russian citizenship will give me more opportunities,” he added.

Although there is no sign yet that Russia is planning to annex Moldova, the West is watching and speculating what President Vladimir Putin’s next step might be.

Last week, the commander of NATO forces in Europe, General Philip Breedlove, warned that Russian territorial ambitions might not stop in Crimea and could involve Transnistria, too.

The fact that the Russian army is already present on the territory adds to those worries. About 1,500 Russian troops have been stationed in Transnistria as peacekeepers since the end of the war in 1992.

Several unconfirmed recent reports talk of special military exercises on the part of the Russian troops in Transnistria.

It remains unclear whether Russia considers Transnistria to be important enough to make a move. A factory worker in Bender called Aleksandar is skeptical.

“I don’t think the Crimean situation will make things different in Transnistria,” he said.

“Russia didn't do anything to recognize us for the past 25 years,” he added. “I have hope, but I don't expect too much.”

Some say Russia benefits from maintaining the status quo in unrecognized Transnistria. That way, it keep its influence in Moldova, a country that is leaning towards Western Europe and is eager to join EU.

Moldova is expected to sign an association agreement with the European Union this year. In Ukraine, the government’s failure to sign a similar agreement sparked the protests that ousted the President and created the current political crisis.

But, even without Transnistria, Moldovan society is also divided. About 40 per cent of the population is Russian speaking. If it comes to having to choose between Russia and Europe, things could get messy in Moldova, too.

“The Ukrainian situation could be contagious for the separatists in Transnistria,” a worried Moldovan Prime Minister, Iurie Leanca, said recently.

Some Moldovans of Russian origin are even thinking of moving to Transnistria. According to the Transnistrian migration office, the number of Moldovans moving there is increasing.

In villages near the border, some people move to the Transnistrian side of the Dniester each winter because prices of electricity and gas are far lower over there.

Xenia, a 33-year-old single mother from Chisinau, of Russian descent, thinks of moving to Transnistria. She visits her boyfriend near Tiraspol every month.

“I feel good here, better than in Moldova,” she said. “My son can have a Russian education, and with a Transnistrian diploma he can enroll in a Russian university.” Many Transnistrians go to universities in Russia.

Many Transnistrians now hope for a scenario involving Russia’s further expansion to the east and south of Ukraine. If southern Ukraine became Russian, Transnistria would be easy, they say.

“It would even be easier than in Crimea,” said a former journalist called Nik, sipping white wine in a restaurant in downtown Tiraspol.

Transnistria’s infrastructure, facilities and institutions are practically in Russian hands already, and its citizens are unanimous about what they want.

“It could be done in just a couple of minutes,” he grinned. “We have only one wish here, to return to the motherland.”

In the village of Chobruchi, a ten-minute drive from Tiraspol, Natalie Darieva, 59, sits at the dining table and listens to a Russian radio station.

“I’ve heard it on the news", she proclaims triumphantly. “Someone said we can become a part of Russia now.”

Darieva lives off her small pension, and has a goat, a pig and chicken. Life isn’t bad at all, she emphasizes. “But it would be better with Russia,” she says.

“Pensions are higher. And maybe Russia would build more factories in Transnistria, so our young people don't need to move to Russia for work.”

Last edited by George1 on Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:53 am; edited 1 time in total

Finty likes this post

Hannibal Barca
    Hannibal Barca

Moldova and Transnistria Situation Thread Empty Re: Moldova and Transnistria Situation Thread

Post  Hannibal Barca Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:00 pm

It is funny how you (plural) begun with -zero- confidence and ended up, just a month later, ready to beat the crap out of West  attack 
    Zivo
    Zivo

Moldova and Transnistria Situation Thread Empty Re: Moldova and Transnistria Situation Thread

Post  Zivo Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:13 pm

I hope they understand that if they want independence, it needs to be earned.

Russia isn't in the business of destabilization on her boarders, it has to do with the "better the devil you know, than the devil you don't" mindset. However, if something starts, Russia is happy to finish it.

Admittedly, I'm not an expert on Moldova. In my mind, the country is a total shithole filled with people blaming other people for their problems. Even the name "Moldova" is depressing. If anyone wants to educate me, go ahead I'm listening.

Finty likes this post

flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:47 pm

Zivo wrote:Admittedly, I'm not an expert on Moldova. In my mind, the country is a total shithole filled with people blaming other people for their problems. Even the name "Moldova" is depressing. If anyone wants to educate me, go ahead I'm listening.

Not much different to anywhere else then, you just thought of it as a stereotypical country Smile
    Zivo
    Zivo

Post  Zivo Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:58 pm

flamming_python wrote:
    Zivo wrote:Admittedly, I'm not an expert on Moldova. In my mind, the country is a total shithole filled with people blaming other people for their problems. Even the name "Moldova" is depressing. If anyone wants to educate me, go ahead I'm listening.

Not much different to anywhere else then, you just thought of it as a stereotypical country Smile

There's just something about this line that doesn't lead me to believe Moldova is the land of milk and honey.

"Darieva lives off her small pension, and has a goat, a pig and chicken. Life isn’t bad at all, she emphasizes."

Finty likes this post

Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:31 pm

Oh great, another enclave. Moldova should be out of question until Ukrainian affairs are sorted
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:32 am

No timeframe for examining Transdniestria's application for recognition of independence

MOSCOW, April 17. /ITAR-TASS/. Kremlin administration does not mention any timeframe for a possible examination of the application from the authorities of Transdniestria, who ask to recognize the breakaway region as a sovereign independent state.

Russian News Service radio with reference to presidential spokesperson Dmitry Peskov reports that an exact timeframe for examining the application is not known yet. Peskov also pointed out that he does not know through which channels the application of Transdniestria's Supreme Council was forwarded.

On Wednesday, the Supreme Council of Transdniestria adopted an application addressed to the State Duma lower house of the Russian parliament, the Federation Council upper house, and the President of Russia with a request to recognize the independence of the breakaway region.

An official in the press service of Transdniestria's legislature told ITAR-TASS that the decision was adopted on the strength of the results of the referendum held in Transdniestria in 2006 when 97% of the region's people had declared in favor of independence and a subsequent free accession to Russia.
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:09 am

If Odessa rises up - Pridnestrovie will probably send supplies, arms and volunteers. They don't give a damn, they are seperatists themselves Smile
    And of course they have many experienced fighters.
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:28 pm

A pit that serves no purpose for Russia.

Should curry some world favor by arguing for peaceful solution to the stalemate.

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:14 am

Too far away... just like Kosovo for Russia and South Ossetia for the US.

Not going to happen.
    Intrigado

Post  Intrigado Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:02 pm

TR1 wrote:A pit that serves no purpose for Russia.

Rumor goes that Russia would plan to use it as it did Kaliningrad: to place some ballistic missiles there. Meanwhile Transnistria is a nightmare for the Republic of Moldova as the government has no control whatsoever over what happens there but, as it's officially considered part of the country, it's held accountable by other countries for every naughty thing originated from Transnistria.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Thu May 01, 2014 1:34 pm

Transnistria Rallies for Independence on May Day

A May Day rally in the capital of the unrecognized Transnistria republic in eastern Moldova has run off amid calls for social policy reform and independence for the region, a RIA Novosti correspondent reported Thursday.

Transnistria's Communist Party leader Oleg Horzhan said in his speech that the notions of "struggle" and "solidarity" were more than empty words for the population of the region.

"We struggled to defend our state and now we expect it to be recognized. I want to believe that our diplomatic effort will lead to a breakthrough and our republic will be recognized soon," Horzhan stressed.

In their manifesto, the demonstrators who gathered in the heart of Tiraspol vowed to create a social state. They said that independence could be won only if "civil society structures in the republic closely cooperate with the executive and legislative branches".

The manifesto called on the President of Transnistria to press ahead with the republic's independence bid and to uphold principles of democracy, equality and fairness.

In 1990, the breakaway republic of Transnistria, with a predominantly Russian and Ukrainian population, declared its independence from Moldova fearing its nationalistic government would take a course towards reintegration with Romania. This led to armed hostilities in 1992 when Moldova attempted to crack down on the industrially developed Transnistrian region and subsequently lost control of the Dniester's Left Bank.
    Read more: http://voiceofrussia.com/news/2014_05_01/Transnistria-Rallies-for-Independence-on-May-Day-7041/
    Intrigado

Post  Intrigado Fri May 02, 2014 9:55 pm

George1 wrote:Transnistria Rallies for Independence on May Day
    In 1990, the breakaway republic of Transnistria, with a predominantly Russian and Ukrainian population, declared its independence from Moldova fearing its nationalistic government would take a course towards reintegration with Romania. This led to armed hostilities in 1992 when Moldova attempted to crack down on the industrially developed Transnistrian region and subsequently lost control of the Dniester's Left Bank.
    Read more: http://voiceofrussia.com/news/2014_05_01/Transnistria-Rallies-for-Independence-on-May-Day-7041/

Heh...the "nationalistic" governments are routinely accused by the Moldavian media of selling the country's assets to Russian companies. There's nothing about nationalism in that benighted country, only about survival and hell if someone could blame them for that. The reintegration with Romania is currently nothing more than a red herring waved around by the authorities from Tiraspol whenever they feel the need for a bit more of Russian attention. No union is going to happen in the foreseeable future and perhaps never again. The biggest fear of the Moldavian government is not losing Transnistria, which they never controlled anyway, but that other regions are also going to be swept away alongside Transnistria (Gagauzia, Balti, Taraclia, the city of Tighina (Bender) on the western bank of the Dniester).
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Sun May 04, 2014 5:10 am

Some news on Moldova:

More than half of the inhabitants of Moldavia waiting rapprochement with Russia, not with the EU

Most inhabitants of Moldova, especially in the northern and southern regions of the country support rapprochement with Russia. Public Opinion Foundation, who conducted the poll, 61% of those counted, said the head of FOM Andrew Lukyan "Interfax" .

"In Gagauzia - 98%, and Ocnita Brichany - by 83%, Donduşeni - 81% Felesht - 80%, in Balti - 78%," - said Lukyan. According to him, European integration more inclined residents of the central districts of Moldova, in particular Hîncesti - 61%, Nisporeni - 58%, Calarasi and Orhei - from 56% in Chisinau - 55%.

If a referendum were held in the country, 57% of the population would vote for accession to the Customs Union of Russia, Belarus and Kazakhstan, 36% - for the European Union, 2% - against the entry to whatsoever, and 4% are undecided with their preferences.

69% of respondents sympathy calls Russia, 45% - the EU, 31% chose the U.S., and 29% - Romania. In this negative attitude towards Romania 27% of Moldova to the United States - 21% to the EU - 20%, in Ukraine - 13% and Russia - only 11% of respondents.

The survey was conducted during March of 4555 respondents from 286 settlements. Sociologists estimate error of 1.5%.

Recall, February 2 in Gagauzia held a referendum in which citizens voted for autonomy integration into the Customs Union. During that 98% favored a plebiscite.

The Moldovan government has recognized the referendum unconstitutional because local authorities have no right to influence the country's foreign policy. In voting against the organizers were prosecuted, were searched. And in mid-March Gagauzia announced the creation of its own army, as stipulated by the Moldovan legislation.

Another Moldovan region of Transnistria, on the background of the Ukrainian events again appealed to Russian President Putin to recognize the independence of the republic. The deputies of the local parliament invoke the right of peoples to self-determination and the results of the referendum in 2006, when more than 97% of voters opted for independence and the subsequent annexation by Russia.

On Wednesday, April 23, the leader of the unrecognized republic Yevgeny Shevchuk expressed gratitude to Russia for humanitarian assistance is provided. "On the Russian media in Transnistria building schools, kindergartens, medical institutions purchased new equipment, care shall be the person irrespective of his nationality. This is a unique approach that world almost nobody shows," - said Shevchuk at a meeting with the Russian delegation ITAR-TASS.

The politician stressed that Russia's support has gained special significance in a difficult foreign policy situation in connection with the crisis in Ukraine and the difficulties in relations with Moldova. It clarifies the news, the implementation of Russian humanitarian project worth 3.6 billion rubles in Transnistria began in 2013. And how assured the head of the Russian delegation, Assistant Deputy Prime Minister, Russian president's special representative on Transnistria Rags Dmitry Rogozin, the project will continue.

"Promoting Transnistria supports and will continue, because in Transnistria we see the future" - quoted a Russian official official website of the President.

At the same time the official Chisinau recently initialed an Association Agreement with the European Union and is preparing to sign a document on the establishment of a free, comprehensive and in-depth trade.

http://palm.newsru.com/world/23apr2014/mold.html
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Sun May 04, 2014 11:46 am

Kishinev residents (Moldova proper, not Pridnestrovie), have gathered in front of the Ukrainian embassay, laid flowers in front of it and tied St. George's ribbons to the gates (which were promptly removed by embassy workers)

http://point.md/ru/novosti/politika/komsomoljci-zazhgli-svechi-u-posoljstva-ukraini-v-moldove
    Moldova and Transnistria Situation Thread 89a4d910

They also set up a candle display in a park, the candles read "ODESSA"
    Moldova and Transnistria Situation Thread Eafd5d10

Reading the comments too, it's obvious that there is overwhelming sympathy for the pro-Russians in Odessa, and little sympathy for the Ukrainian government and people loyal to it. Among calls for Moldova to remain united, and not to let a tragedy such as befallen the Ukraine, befall Moldova, where it's people start killing each other. Little to no russophobia, or blaming Russia

Quite touching all in all, that there are so many people in Kishinev, and wider Moldova - and not just in Pridnestrovie - who sympathise with Russians, who are our friends.

I remember there was a referndum in Gagauzia carried out half a year ago, where some 97% of people voted for closer ties to Russia and the customs union, as opposed to the EU. But it's not just Gagauzia, and Pridnestrovie where warm feelings can be encountered. And that's very encouraging, this country is not lost to us, as most of the Ukraine is.
    mack8
    mack8

Post  mack8 Sun May 04, 2014 5:17 pm

Moldova would be much better off closer to Russia, and joining CSTO and CIS too. They should also strive together with the transnistrians to reach some sort of amiable agreement benefic for both sides. Forget about having anything to do with Romania (and implicitly this "NATO"), that country is lost, it's at the bottom of Europe, sold to the US interests and populated with spineless servile cowards with no dignity... and this is coming from a romanian.
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Sun May 04, 2014 7:02 pm

mack8 wrote:Moldova would be much better off closer to Russia, and joining CSTO and CIS too. They should also strive together with the transnistrians to reach some sort of amiable agreement benefic for both sides. Forget about having anything to do with Romania (and implicitly this "NATO"), that country is lost, it's at the bottom of Europe, sold to the US interests and populated with spineless servile cowards with no dignity... and this is coming from a romanian.

mack8 you are a Romanian?
    mack8
    mack8

Post  mack8 Sun May 04, 2014 8:00 pm

Yes, i am romanian.
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Sun May 04, 2014 8:35 pm

Awesome stuff  Cool 
    Hannibal Barca
    Hannibal Barca

Post  Hannibal Barca Sun May 04, 2014 11:34 pm

Yeah people living inside EU already want the collapse of this monster. Problem is, we still haven't reach the critical mass, but I think we are coming soon.
    mack8
    mack8

Post  mack8 Mon May 05, 2014 8:02 am

No, i don't want the collapse of EU, quite the contrary. A true, united EU will be the world's fourth superpower (and an EU truly led by governments respecting the will of their peoples would have no ill intention against Russia- peaceful relations, increasing cooperation and mutually advantageous trading would be far more beneficial to both sides). But EU today is what it is, weak and servile to US because of the puppets in charge that is selling us to foreign interests, how can you have a strong EU when pretty much all the governments of EU countries are US vassals? I want the collapse of the US monster, not EU.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Mon May 05, 2014 10:00 am

I want the collapse of the US monster, not EU.

I had hoped Obama might bring a change in thinking... a way of behaving that was more in line with the morals and standards the US continues to preach... but the end is more of the same.

I don't want to see any collapse... they are very painful... I would prefer a result from a ballot box in the Ukraine and the EU and the US... but lets face it... the US/EU wont accept any result that goes against their interests in the Ukraine so a civil war is the most likely outcome there.

In terms of the EU... as long as the leaders are prepared to ignore their own people how can people create change there either?

In terms of the US... many people predict their economic collapse... but it is like the bankers of the world... it is not a huge coincidence that banker is one letter from the word wanker... realistically the banks should have collapsed several times but the taxpayer ends up footing the bill, and it will be the same with the US economy... they make the rules and they are too big to fail... there is no way they will collapse because they will just change the rules to make sure it never happens.

Personally I think the greatest threat to what is America today is the internet... the free flow of information so they can see the lies their government and media tell them... they can talk to the people they are told are their enemy and realise they are not that much different.

Some pro zionist neocon will claim I am anti american, yet I am more american than they are... I hold pretty much all those american values, those western values... the difference is that I try to live by most of them and I certainly don't judge others who have different values and different beliefs to mine.

I am the most pro American there is... the problem is that the current US government and the vast majority of US governments before it have been total hypocrites and actually acted more like their opponents they love to demonise.
    Intrigado

Post  Intrigado Mon May 05, 2014 6:47 pm

mack8 wrote:Yes, i am romanian.

Is that so? Check quiz: Care sunt cele mai cunoscute versuri din "Doina" lui Eminescu?

Now, if you are a spineless servile coward, which is very likely, considering that only a spineless bloody coward would perpetrate a smear campaign against a nation, do have a bit of decency and do not present your own shortcomings as being common to the Romanian people. You have no right to slander my people so, next time you feel the need to vent out some frustrations, do find a more dignified manner to do so. Is that understood or should I use simpler words?

As for the Republic of Moldova, do let them choose for themselves the organization they want to join. Free choice, is that such a foreign concept to you?
    P.S. Sukhoi akhbar...yeah right "falling backwards with laughter" No, meri de-aici....

flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Mon May 05, 2014 6:58 pm

Intrigado wrote:
    mack8 wrote:Yes, i am romanian.

Is that so? Check quiz: Care sunt cele mai cunoscute versuri din "Doina" lui Eminescu?

Now, if you are a spineless servile coward, which is very likely, considering that only a spineless bloody coward would perpetrate a smear campaign against a nation, do have a bit of decency and do not present your own shortcomings as being common to the Romanian people. You have no right to slander my people so, next time you feel the need to vent out some frustrations, do find a more dignified manner to do so. Is that understood or should I use simpler words?

As for the Republic of Moldova, do let them choose for themselves the organization they want to join. Free choice, is that such a foreign concept to you?
    P.S. Sukhoi akhbar...yeah right "falling backwards with laughter" No, meri de-aici....

He's basically just said the same as what you said in one of your other posts, that Romania is not a sovereign nation or at least not a completely sovereign nation and no-one there is going to reject the US/EU/IMF/etc... and their conditions, troop movements, orders for reforms, etc... the country is ruled by Basescu, he has the EU's interests at mind and sometimes makes some noise about Moldova/Hungary/whatever, and of course playing up the Russian threat in order to deflect just how much little voice Romania actually has in Western structures and the poor state of its economy despite having been part of the EU for a decade.

Romania would be better served by someone like Orban, it goes w/o saying that Romania won't go far without the EU and Western money, investment, but at least - it can distance itself as far as much politically and reap some of the benefits from China and Russia, while at the same time not cutting its links with the EU and NATO. If Romania mends links with Russia than that will help solve the Transdniestrian issue, and from there - it might be possible to jointly develop Moldova or whatever on the basis of mutual-trust and soveriegnty, avoiding Russian paranoia about NATO/EU trying to expand into Moldova.
    Intrigado

Post  Intrigado Mon May 05, 2014 7:15 pm

mack8 wrote:A true, united EU will be the world's fourth superpower (and an EU truly led by governments respecting the will of their peoples would have no ill intention against Russia- peaceful relations, increasing cooperation and mutually advantageous trading would be far more beneficial to both sides).

If you can believe such things, then I don't need more proof to know not what you are, but what you aren't. Europe was never united and will never be, except maybe for that possibility of which were speaking the officials of the Third Reich towards the WWII's end: Europe can be united only by means of a "douce violence". The discrepancies between the European countries are huge and quite impossible to overcome. Some of the East and Central European countries know very well that the Western ones would sell them again in a flash as happened after WWII and that's why they did everything to bring the US here and to keep them here. If the US do really have designs against Russia, there's no doubt that they'll find allies in Russia's close proximity. European countries's interests are fundamentally divergent and this issue has no solution whatsoever.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:01 am