Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Soviet era aircrafts used in some countries:

    Share
    avatar
    Isos

    Posts : 962
    Points : 960
    Join date : 2015-11-06

    Why Yakovlev don't sell its Yak-44 to India and China?

    Post  Isos on Sat May 21, 2016 1:29 pm

    BTW off topic but, why Yakovlev don't sell its Yak-44 to India and China? They can be used on carriers whitout catapult and both of these countries need them. They will probably get carrier based Awacs one day so Yakovlev should sell them 2 or 3 for each of their carriers before someone else does. With the new technologies they could program them to work with the futur S-400 planned for China and India.

    India 3 Aircraft carrier, China 3 too, Russia 1 : 6x3 +1=19 Yak 44. Could be a very big contract dunno
    avatar
    GarryB

    Posts : 16861
    Points : 17469
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Soviet era aircrafts used in some countries:

    Post  GarryB on Sun May 22, 2016 6:50 am

    I very much doubt any version of the Yak-44 could take off any type of carrier without a catapult or other serious assistance... even if it had a tilt wing design... which AFAIK it does not.

    ATM the only AWACS type aircraft for Russian carriers is the Ka-31 with a very flat antenna array under its belly that can be deployed in flight for 360 degree monitoring of the airspace around the helo.


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

    Singular_trafo

    Posts : 130
    Points : 128
    Join date : 2016-04-16

    Re: Soviet era aircrafts used in some countries:

    Post  Singular_trafo on Sun May 22, 2016 9:44 am

    GarryB wrote:I very much doubt any version of the Yak-44 could take off any type of carrier without a catapult or other serious assistance... even if it had a tilt wing design... which AFAIK it does not.

    ATM the only AWACS type aircraft for Russian carriers is the Ka-31 with a very flat antenna array under its belly that can be deployed in flight for 360 degree monitoring of the airspace around the helo.

    Quick calculation for the distance vs. radar elevation.
    49m radar height->25km range
    71m radar height ->30km range
    785m height->100km range
    4908m->250km range
    9618m->350km
    28253m->600km

    A ka-31 can cover quater of the area ,and has 2.5 hours endurance compared to the 6 hours of Hawkeye .

    So, a shipborn air deffense system can protect 50km diameter area without aircraft, with a helicopter 300km diameter, with a fixrd wing aircraft 700km dimater area.


    Any SAM with greater than 30km range require same airborne radar to function.
    avatar
    Isos

    Posts : 962
    Points : 960
    Join date : 2015-11-06

    Re: Soviet era aircrafts used in some countries:

    Post  Isos on Sun May 22, 2016 12:39 pm

    Singular_trafo wrote:
    GarryB wrote:I very much doubt any version of the Yak-44 could take off any type of carrier without a catapult or other serious assistance... even if it had a tilt wing design... which AFAIK it does not.

    ATM the only AWACS type aircraft for Russian carriers is the Ka-31 with a very flat antenna array under its belly that can be deployed in flight for 360 degree monitoring of the airspace around the helo.

    Quick calculation for the distance vs. radar elevation.
    49m radar height->25km range
    71m radar height ->30km range
    785m height->100km range
    4908m->250km range
    9618m->350km
    28253m->600km

    A ka-31 can cover quater of the area ,and has 2.5 hours endurance compared to the 6 hours of Hawkeye .

    So, a shipborn air deffense system can protect 50km diameter area without aircraft, with a helicopter 300km diameter, with a fixrd wing aircraft 700km dimater area.


    Any SAM with  greater than 30km range require same airborne radar to function.

    Well it depends on the altitude of the target too.

    I remember I've read that it could take off without catapult.
    Soviets used some accelerator on their aircraft, i've seen a video of a mig 21 taking off like a missile with that technology. So it's not realy a problem. Pretty bad that they don't put money on the development of the Yak-44.

    Singular_trafo

    Posts : 130
    Points : 128
    Join date : 2016-04-16

    Re: Soviet era aircrafts used in some countries:

    Post  Singular_trafo on Sun May 22, 2016 2:05 pm

    Isos wrote:
    Singular_trafo wrote:
    GarryB wrote:I very much doubt any version of the Yak-44 could take off any type of carrier without a catapult or other serious assistance... even if it had a tilt wing design... which AFAIK it does not.

    ATM the only AWACS type aircraft for Russian carriers is the Ka-31 with a very flat antenna array under its belly that can be deployed in flight for 360 degree monitoring of the airspace around the helo.

    Quick calculation for the distance vs. radar elevation.
    49m radar height->25km range
    71m radar height ->30km range
    785m height->100km range
    4908m->250km range
    9618m->350km
    28253m->600km

    A ka-31 can cover quater of the area ,and has 2.5 hours endurance compared to the 6 hours of Hawkeye .

    So, a shipborn air deffense system can protect 50km diameter area without aircraft, with a helicopter 300km diameter, with a fixrd wing aircraft 700km dimater area.


    Any SAM with  greater than 30km range require same airborne radar to function.

    Well it depends on the altitude of the target too.

    I remember I've read that it could take off without catapult.
    Soviets used some accelerator on their aircraft, i've seen a video of a mig 21 taking off like a missile with that technology. So it's not realy a problem. Pretty bad that they don't put money on the development of the Yak-44.

    Of course yes.

    These are symetrical, so a 49m elevated radar can detect an object with 49m elevation from 50km and so on.


    avatar
    Isos

    Posts : 962
    Points : 960
    Join date : 2015-11-06

    That's what I mean

    Post  Isos on Wed May 25, 2016 9:40 pm

    GarryB wrote:You mean rocket assisted takeoff?

    they have mentioned development of EM cats on their new carriers... the only practical purpose for such is to allow heavier aircraft to operate from the carrier like AWACS and tanker aircraft and light transports

    That's what I mean, using rocket assisted takeoff for just Yak-44. They are planning to upgrade Kuznetsov and still use it a long time so it could be a good choice to put an Awacs. Using Ka-31 for that role is not the best option as it simply look around the carrier, no deep penetration near the combat zone. Plus the radar could be more powerfull, flown higher and designed in L band to see F-22/35 300km away.

    max steel wrote:

    But Israelis jammed or decoyed Syrian S-300 successfully.

    I've never heard they have them. They wouldn't be so afraid of Iranian S-300 if they could do so ...
    avatar
    GarryB

    Posts : 16861
    Points : 17469
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Why Yakovlev don't sell its Yak-44 to India and China?

    Post  GarryB on Thu May 26, 2016 12:58 pm

    That's what I mean, using rocket assisted takeoff for just Yak-44. They are planning to upgrade Kuznetsov and still use it a long time so it could be a good choice to put an Awacs. Using Ka-31 for that role is not the best option as it simply look around the carrier, no deep penetration near the combat zone. Plus the radar could be more powerfull, flown higher and designed in L band to see F-22/35 300km away.

    Don't underestimate the Ka-31, the army are actually buying versions of it for battlefield surveillance too.

    they can fly at up to 5km altitude and have a rather large flat panel radar antenna stowed under its belly that offers a full 360 degree search capacity when deployed.

    they would need to spend some money and develop a new model Yak-44 as the original is ancient and most components would now be obsolete.

    Having said that a small AWACS that could be used to fill gaps for Russia or could be sold to smaller nations with smaller budgets has huge potential...


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    avatar
    User 1592

    Posts : 13
    Points : 25
    Join date : 2016-07-08

    MIG-21 possible upgrade

    Post  User 1592 on Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:22 pm

    avatar
    George1

    Posts : 10752
    Points : 11231
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Soviet era aircrafts used in some countries:

    Post  George1 on Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:15 pm

    Bulgaria wants again to repair its MiG-29



    http://bmpd.livejournal.com/2075617.html


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov


    Sponsored content

    Re: Soviet era aircrafts used in some countries:

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:54 pm