Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+7
Grazneyar
magnumcromagnon
Kyo
Hannibal Barca
SOC
GarryB
George1
11 posters

Cypriot National Guard: News

d_taddei2
    d_taddei2

Cypriot National Guard: News - Page 2 Empty Re: Cypriot National Guard: News

Post  d_taddei2 Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:39 pm

George1 wrote:
    d_taddei2 wrote:
    Secondly with Cyprus selling Mi-35p to Serbia, and reasons stating needing better night time capabilities and parts problems due to sanctions on Russia. And allocating $300mn to replace the aircraft which suggests $25mn each for a helicopters presuming that they are looking for 12 heli's. I wonder what they will be looking at. Russia does have better night time capabilities on newer heli's but sanctions are an issue. And buying European helis are expensive and will they end up having to increase their budget? Or reduce the number of heli's purchased? or buy secondhand to achieve the 12 needed? I always thought the Mi-35 a great choice for Cyprus due to having a small air force having a versatile Heli like the Hind gives them a good all round attack heli with added bonus of transport capabilities, basically two helis for the price of one. And that's important when u have a tight budget and small force.  

The plan is to buy new helicopters in 2 phases (6+6). The first 6 until 2025 and the rest until the end of the decade. So these $300m propably is the amount of money for 6 helicopters.
    One of their options could be the French "Tiger". France is the only country that sold arms to Cyprus after 1974. Cyprus military is consisted of russian and french weapons besides those that have been transferred there by Greece

d_taddei2 wrote:
    And only having 3 heli's (AW139) that can carry a section of infantry or special forces, having the Hinds make more sense. Their other helis either get used for anti armour or can carry only 4 troops, which isn't ideal for medivac stretcher cases.

AW139s role is SAR and Cyprus Police also operate that type (2). From my ssources i know that even these 3 arent always in operation status.

Then that's a very expensive helicopter at $50mn a piece. Would be better buying 6-8 Mig-29M/mig-35 and 6 mi-35m if they plan to eventually spend $600mn . But I forgot they are under the boot and heal of NATO/EU. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up with Apaches
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:12 am

Cyprus has placed an order for Mistral surface-to-air missiles and Exocet anti-ship missiles for an combined worth of €290 million from MBDA for the Cypriot National Guard, the joint arms military force of the Republic of Cyprus.

https://www.defenseworld.net/news/26314/MBDA_Sells_Mistral__Exocet_Missiles_to_Cyprus__French_Media#.YUgz6n2_yzd
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:16 am

Cyprus is going to buy a version of Iron Dome from Israel

George1
    George1

Post  George1 Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:55 pm

Cyprus buys six H145Ms to replace Mi-35s to be sold to Serbia

https://www.aviacionline.com/2022/06/cyprus-buys-six-h145ms-to-replace-mi-35s-to-be-sold-to-serbia/
    lancelot
    lancelot

Post  lancelot Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:26 pm

George1 wrote:Cyprus is going to buy a version of Iron Dome from Israel
    What in heavens for? Do they get hit with MLRS from the Turkish side frequently? If their problem is the Turkish Air Force aircraft they need David's Sling, not Iron Dome.

Iron Dome is basically el-cheapo Israeli Tor/Pantsir for fixed installations.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am