Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+71
Scorpius
thegopnik
Podlodka77
Begome
sepheronx
xeno
par far
diabetus
Arrow
caveat emptor
Belisarius
galicije83
mnztr
Robert.V
Kiko
Cplnew83
BliTTzZ
limb
TMA1
marcellogo
Big_Gazza
Mir
hoom
Broski
Isos
Russian_Patriot_
Cheetah
ALAMO
Flanky
mavaff
lancelot
PhSt
elevonic
lyle6
kvs
AJ-47
LMFS
SeigSoloyvov
Hole
jhelb
miketheterrible
PapaDragon
RTN
Airman
ZoA
volna
Benya
VladimirSahin
KiloGolf
KoTeMoRe
ExBeobachter1987
Mindstorm
Regular
JohninMK
eehnie
flamming_python
franco
Vann7
d_taddei2
magnumcromagnon
Werewolf
collegeboy16
Sujoy
KomissarBojanchev
George1
TheArmenian
Cyberspec
medo
IronsightSniper
GarryB
Austin
75 posters

Russian Gun Artillery Thread

GarryB
    GarryB

Russian Gun Artillery Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Russian Gun Artillery Thread

Post  GarryB Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:35 am

Thinking possible that is reason they have not been in a hurry to do the Tornado-U's and Tornado-S's. Maybe only a Tornado-S with 150km range is needed.

I can understand the delay with the Tornado-U... if you have a 40 tube 122mm rocket launcher firing to 150km then the urgent need for heavier rockets reduces... though their heavier payloads does improve performance on target.

A new launcher that can carry 122mm, 220mm, and 300mm rockets is interesting though... of course with a few modifications like stabilisers you could almost get away just by dropping a couple of rocket pack modules on the back of a tip truck... the best features of rockets are accentuated when you get them in enormous numbers...
    eehnie
    eehnie

Post  eehnie Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:03 pm

franco wrote:SP Artillery Numbers
    - includes Ground Forces, Naval Infantry and Coastal plus Airborne
    - normal battalion has 18 firing pieces, rounded up to 20 to allow unit spares
    - does not include training, reserve or storage pieces

2S1 - 340 (17 bns)
    2S3 - 840 (42 bns)
    2S4 - 8 (1 bn)
    2S5 - 140 (7 bns)
    2S7 - 12 (1 bn)
    2S9 - 370 (16 bns + 7 btys)
    2S19 - 600 (30 bns) last production received in 2014
    2S23 - ~50 not sure if used as a bn mortar bty
    2S34 - ~50 not sure if used as a bn mortar bty or replacing 2S1 bns
    2S35 - 12 delivered this year, main production starts next year
    A-222 - ~30 Berg 130mm Coastal Artillery, status not sure

Rocket Artillery Numbers
    - broke down by caliber to include all types

122 - 980 (49 bns) at least 8-10 bns have upgraded Tornado-G
    220 - ~200 ( 4 units of 24 and 8 units of 8 Uragan = 160 plus 5-15 units of 3 TOS-1A)
    300 - 24 (2 brigades of 12 each)

SP Antitank Numbers
    - part of the Artillery & Rocket Forces
    - organized into companies of 9, rounded up to 10 to allow spares

BTR-RD - 120 (12 coys) AT-4/5
    9P148 - 200 (20 coys) AT-5
    9P149 - 960 (96 coys) AT-6
    9P157 - ~50 (started production replacing the 9P149) AT-15
    Tigr/Kornet - ~10 (just delivered, starting production) AT-14
    2S25 - ~30 delivered, awaiting upgrading before resuming production

It is very interesting, another way to contrast if the info of many sources is right or not.

It would be posible to have the same scheme for no-man-portable towed artillery? Your point on it would be very interesting since many sources care less about towed artillery.
    franco
    franco

Post  franco Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:50 pm

It is very interesting, another way to contrast if the info of many sources is right or not.

It would be posible to have the same scheme for no-man-portable towed artillery? Your point on it would be very interesting since many sources care less about towed artillery.

I try to project these numbers from active units as opposed to what may be in storage etc.

Towed Artillery

2A18 D-30 122mm field howitzer - 120 (bn of 12 for 4 abn div = 48 plus bty of 6 for 4 abn bde = 24 plus bty of 6 for 8 spetz bde = 48)
    Nona-K 120mm gun/mortar - ~30 (maybe used in place of D-30's in some Spetz bdes)
    MT-12 Rapira 100mm gun - 270 (bty of 6 for 35 MR bdes plus bty of 6 for 10 arty bdes)
    2A36 152mm field gun - 100-120 (5-6 bn of 18 in 18th MG div (2) and Coastal Artillery bdes)
    2A65 152mm field howitzer - 160-200 (8-10 bn of 18 in Artillery bdes)

Notes - you would expect the 100mm MT-12 AT gun to be obsolete for destroying tanks but the Russian artillery keeps it as an artillery "sniper" weapon
    eehnie
    eehnie

Post  eehnie Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:10 am

franco wrote:It is very interesting, another way to contrast if the info of many sources is right or not.

I try to project these numbers from active units as opposed to what may be in storage etc.

Towed Artillery

2A18 D-30 122mm field howitzer - 120 (bn of 12 for 4 abn div = 48 plus bty of 6 for 4 abn bde = 24 plus bty of 6 for 8 spetz bde = 48)
    Nona-K 120mm gun/mortar - ~30 (maybe used in place of D-30's in some Spetz bdes)
    MT-12 Rapira 100mm gun - 270 (bty of 6 for 35 MR bdes plus bty of 6 for 10 arty bdes)
    2A36 152mm field gun - 100-120 (5-6 bn of 18 in 18th MG div (2) and Coastal Artillery bdes)
    2A65 152mm field howitzer - 160-200 (8-10 bn of 18 in Artillery bdes)

Notes - you would expect the 100mm MT-12 AT gun to be obsolete for destroying tanks but the Russian artillery keeps it as an artillery "sniper" weapon

Thank you very much. It is very interesting the use of the MT-12 as "sniper" artillery. It seems that the heavy towed artillery has not a big presence in active service today, and the newer of them where created in the 80s. One of my doubts was about the 2A33 D-20 152mm, from your comment I understand it is not active today.

franco wrote:I try to project these numbers from active units as opposed to what may be in storage etc.

Certainly the reports about the units in reserve of towed artillery are a chaos. Sometime I will try to know more exactly about it.

Last edited by eehnie on Thu May 12, 2016 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
    franco
    franco

Post  franco Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:38 am

Another of may doubts is about the systems that are not man-portable but are not as heavy as the previous. As example between 100Kg and 1000Kg. Do you considered them in this list? I'm thinking as example in the 2B11/2S12 Sani 120mm, 2B9, 2B23,... (systems of this size).

There would be a bty of 6 mortars with Infantry type battalions. Sometimes 4 with the light or Special forces. By my count there are ~125 motor rifle battalions, 18 naval infantry bns, 36 airborne bns plus 16 spetsnaz bns. That will give a total of a 1200 maximum with about 70% being 120mm.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:14 pm

It should be pointed out that for every MBT on the battlefield there will be dozens of even hundreds of much lighter vehicles and unarmoured vehicles and troop positions for which super high velocity 125mm guns are not needed.

A towed gun does not have wonderful mobility, but when in position it is tiny and very hard to spot till it opens fire... by which time for the enemy it can be too late.

Note the Soviets/Russians have developed a wide range of guided missile armament for their tank guns of all calibre and these missile rounds can be fired from towed guns too...
    eehnie
    eehnie

Post  eehnie Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:45 pm

franco wrote:Another of may doubts is about the systems that are not man-portable but are not as heavy as the previous. As example between 100Kg and 1000Kg. Do you considered them in this list? I'm thinking as example in the 2B11/2S12 Sani 120mm, 2B9, 2B23,... (systems of this size).

There would be a bty of 6 mortars with Infantry type battalions. Sometimes 4 with the light or Special forces. By my count there are ~125 motor rifle battalions, 18 naval infantry bns, 36 airborne bns plus 16 spetsnaz bns. That will give a total of a 1200 maximum with about 70% being 120mm.

Thank you very much.
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:12 pm

The Akatsiya self-propelled howitzer, in service since 1971, has gone smart with the help of an all-new system of automated homing and fire control.

The 2S3M3 system also analyzses and relates a wealth of vital data to the crew, from the current location of both the gun and its target, all the way to automatic fire control. The system helps the gunners to better coordinate their action and ensures their survival in real-life combat situations. The addition of the 2S3M3 artificial “brain” has breathed new life into the veteran howitzer bringing it up to par with the most advanced modern-day counterparts and leaving 20th century artillery far behind.

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/russia/20150902/1026492023/russia-howitzer-smart-technology.html#ixzz3kaue0YsK
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:06 pm

JohninMK wrote:The Akatsiya self-propelled howitzer, in service since 1971, has gone smart with the help of an all-new system of automated homing and fire control.

The 2S3M3 system also analyzses and relates a wealth of vital data to the crew, from the current location of both the gun and its target, all the way to automatic fire control. The system helps the gunners to better coordinate their action and ensures their survival in real-life combat situations. The addition of the 2S3M3 artificial “brain” has breathed new life into the veteran howitzer bringing it up to par with the most advanced modern-day counterparts and leaving 20th century artillery far behind.

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/russia/20150902/1026492023/russia-howitzer-smart-technology.html#ixzz3kaue0YsK

Sounds like this system:

https://www.russiadefence.net/t3199p840-russian-ground-forces-news-2#115786
    franco
    franco

Post  franco Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:50 am

JohninMK wrote:The Akatsiya self-propelled howitzer, in service since 1971, has gone smart with the help of an all-new system of automated homing and fire control.

I read about this being developed several years ago. If 1 in 3 of a platoon has this system, the other two can slave off the technology via data link.

Post  Guest Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:16 am

I assume 2B16 Nona Ks are still in service in some numbers? From what i heard there are around 100ish in service, but what is bugging me why they never replaced D30s with towed Nonas, imo that would be good option since atm it looks like Russians are lacking newer light artillery systems.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:07 pm

I suspect the plan is to get rid of the 122mm calibre completely, in tube artillery anyway, which suggests the 2S34 Hosta, which is the 2S1 122mm SPH with a 120mm gun/mortar replacing the 122mm gun shows the mechanised 122mm is going, so I would expect the 120mm NONA to replace the towed weapon in service too.
    franco
    franco

Post  franco Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:27 pm

GarryB wrote:I suspect the plan is to get rid of the 122mm calibre completely, in tube artillery anyway, which suggests the 2S34 Hosta, which is the 2S1 122mm SPH with a 120mm gun/mortar replacing the 122mm gun shows the mechanised 122mm is going, so I would expect the 120mm NONA to replace the towed weapon in service too.

The 2S34 has apparently not worked out well. They are having recoil problems and can only get off about 4 rounds rapid fire before having to re-aim.

Last edited by franco on Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
    franco
    franco

Post  franco Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:31 pm

Militarov wrote:I assume 2B16 Nona Ks are still in service in some numbers? From what i heard there are around 100ish in service, but what is bugging me why they never replaced D30s with towed Nonas, imo that would be good option since atm it looks like Russians are lacking newer light artillery systems.

Very few Nona-Ks are used and I'm not sure why. The D-30 could still be popular because of greater range and direct fire option.

Post  Guest Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:51 pm

franco wrote:
    Militarov wrote:I assume 2B16 Nona Ks are still in service in some numbers? From what i heard there are around 100ish in service, but what is bugging me why they never replaced D30s with towed Nonas, imo that would be good option since atm it looks like Russians are lacking newer light artillery systems.

Very few Nona-Ks are used and I'm not sure why. The D-30 could still be popular because of greater range and direct fire option.

Well times changed, you dont have anymore much of need to use direct fire due to quite big amounts of ATGMs around, automatic grenade launchers etc and greatly increased accuracy of disposable AT weapons, but yes it does offer somewhat greater range but Nona is lighter, ammo is cheaper (i suppose it would be even cheaper if mass produced) and most important, its new. I am quite sure no new D30s were produced for Russian army in long time. But you need to sacrifice something to get something thats how it mostly works. I did see however videos of NonaK in Novorossya i wonder how they performed there.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:25 am

Well times changed, you dont have anymore much of need to use direct fire due to quite big amounts of ATGMs around, automatic grenade launchers etc and greatly increased accuracy of disposable

On another thread you are welcoming the return of large calibre guns in the anti aircraft role... but in the ground to ground role you think guns are obsolete and missiles can do everything... the Soviets/Russians have long had Grad in 122mm calibre but has never replaced tube with rocket artillery... each have their strengths and weaknesses and both have a place.

Post  Guest Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:40 am

GarryB wrote:
    Well times changed, you dont have anymore much of need to use direct fire due to quite big amounts of ATGMs around, automatic grenade launchers etc and greatly increased accuracy of disposable

On another thread you are welcoming the return of large calibre guns in the anti aircraft role... but in the ground to ground role you think guns are obsolete and missiles can do everything... the Soviets/Russians have long had Grad in 122mm calibre but has never replaced tube with rocket artillery... each have their strengths and weaknesses and both have a place.

Ofc i welcome return of high calibre AA guns, they are extremly cost effective compared to missiles even compared to cheapest ones like Verba/Igla/Mistral/Stinger and their accuracy with modern FCS and dedicated ammunition is excellent. But i dont really think direct fire from 122mm howtizers is needed today, you have fire support vehicles with 105/120/125mm guns for that role, tanks, IFVs with high caliber high velocity guns etc. I dont find it crucial, actually during Yugoslav wars i barely ever heard of direct fire by 122mm D30s, thats what i base my conclusion on.

MLRS will never get replaced i agree with you on that, they have their huge advantages over conventional artillery, however they did improve over time and smart ammunition was developed and their ranges increased, i dont think 122mm MLRS should go anywhere, however i just dont direct fire capability to be a must on light artillery. Back in time it was your only defence aganist tanks and armored vehicles, today as i already said you have plentiful and very widespread use of ATGMs and disposable AT weapons even in smallest infantry units.
    eehnie
    eehnie

Post  eehnie Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:01 am

I tend to think that the heavy towed artillery will be replaced before than the oldest self propelled vehicles.

It is logical and predictable to see self propelled artillery pieces returning to the active service from the reserve to replace the heavy towed artillery (that has higher crews for the same piece). All the heavy towed artillery of Russia can be replaced by this way in the short term.

In the near future I think we will see in Russia only self propelled or man-portable artillery.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:14 am

There are new towed weapons being produced... towed means lighter and cheaper and much simpler.

Especially for use in difficult terrain a towed weapon can sometimes be easier to take with you and operate than a whole new vehicle...

Remember the purpose behind the unified vehicle families was so that every vehicle in the unit has one type of engine and one type of track and a standard transmision etc etc.

By adding a 2S4 you are adding different tracks and different engine and transmission etc etc.

Adding a towed 240mm mortar means an extra truck and one new type of ammo for the unit.

Of course sometimes mobility is the key so the tracked model will be used, but I don't think it is the end of the towed models.

I actually think one of the most powerful and cool weapons the Soviets had was the Vasilek 82mm automatic mortar... and I don't think there was any model of it mounted specifically on a vehicle except the towed model lashed to a carrier.

Fitting it to a vehicle would be cool with a continuous belt feed instead of a four round clip...

Post  Guest Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:16 pm

Light towed 152/155mm howtizers are still being developed and still are going to be developed and made. Nothing can match their versatility and how easily they can be moved to the front, even by Jeeps and medium helicopters. Also many terrains do not allow use of any type of self propelled artillery, this is where 105/122/152/155mm light artillery comes in handy, dropped by helicopter or pushed by soldiers, you do not expect them to fight without artillery are you.

Also very important aspect is the price wich tends to be alot lower for towed than self propelled versions. Russians tho lack really good light towed howtizer atm in class of M777. Except that prototype 2A61 that i belive never saw any orders.

Russian Gun Artillery Thread - Page 4 1345175233_CsO9Z
    eehnie
    eehnie

Russian Gun Artillery Thread - Page 4 Empty The mortars of 82mm successors of the old 2B9 Vasilek

Post  eehnie Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:42 pm

The mortars of 82mm successors of the old 2B9 Vasilek (over 600Kg) are of man-portable size since the 1980s. The 2B14 Podnos is of 42 Kg, and the modern 2B24 and 2B25 have 45Kg and 13Kg of weight. This is the artillery of man-portable size I was talking about. It is succeeding in the Russian Armed Forces like the self propelled artillery.

In the other side, in recent years the development of heavier towed artillery seems to have the purpose of developing guns for new self propelled artillery models, since there is not a single model since the 80s succeeding with significant number or orders for the Russian Armed Forces. The 2B23 (over 400Kg) maybe the best known case but has not English Wikipedia or warfare.be articles, and even this gun is designed to be man-portable divided in four parts.

https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/2%D0%9123

Russia has some advantage here. Other countries have not enough developed their self propelled artillery to think about to replace the towed artillery, but Russia can think about it even in the short term. The movement is predictable since the current heavy towed artillery in service is from the 80s or before, and will not remain forever

Last edited by eehnie on Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post  Guest Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:08 pm

eehnie wrote:
    The mortars of 82mm successors of the old 2B9 Vasilek (over 600Kg) are of man-portable size since the 1980s. The 2B14 Podnos is of 42 Kg, and the modern 2B24 and 2B25 have 45Kg and 13Kg of weight. This is the artillery of man-portable size I was talking about. It is succeeding in the Russian Armed Forces like the self propelled artillery.

In the other side, in recent years the development of heavier towed artillery seems to have the purpose of developing guns for new self propelled artillery models and/or for export, since there is not a single model since the 80s succeeding with significant number or orders for the Russian Armed Forces. The 2B23 (over 400Kg) maybe the best known case and even has not English Wikipedia or warfare.be articles.

https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/2%D0%9123

Russia has some advantage here. Other countries have not enough developed their self propelled artillery to think about to replace the towed artillery, but Russia can think about it even in the short term. The movement is predictable since the current heavy towed artillery in service is from the 80s or before, and will not remain forever

Mortars are rarely considered as an artillery, but ultra light infantry support weapon. In Serbian army if you call mortar in front of an officer as "an artillery piece" you will probably do 100 pushups. Mortars are mortars, artillery is an artillery.

Also Vasilek is class of its own, its automatic mortar and it simply cant be replaced with something like 2B14, USSR operated 82mm mortars long before Vasilek came into service and still it found its place. Nona variations and variants are not replacement for Vasilek either, unless it gets phased out completely as idea of automatic mortar, but i am not sure about that still.

Problem with self propelled artillery is that its useless in so many regions, it simply cant go to all the places it might be required. When D30 variants go to storages Russia is out of real light artillery. Nona-K for an example imo could replace D30, but what will fill the gap between Nona and MSTA/Coalition? Towed or even self mobile light howtizer in 152mm is equired, something like SLWH Pegasus for an example, abit weighty but still alot less than MSTA-B and helicopter transportable.

Russian Gun Artillery Thread - Page 4 SLWH-Pegasus3
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:30 am

Militarov wrote:Also very important aspect is the price wich tends to be alot lower for towed than self propelled versions. Russians tho lack really good light towed howtizer atm in class of M777. Except that prototype 2A61 that i belive never saw any orders.

Yes I always thought that if there's one piece of military hardware that Russia should import (rather - produce domestically under license) from the UK/US - it should be the M777. Shouldn't be hard to convert it to 152mm calibre. It would be useful for mountain units in the Caucasus, Russian forces in Tajikistan, Armenia and Syria.

But then again if that 2A61 wasn't needed, then the M777 wouldn't be either - as they both pretty much occupy the same niche.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:39 am

And what exactly is so special about the M777 compared with the kings in artillery?

Post  Guest Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:44 am

flamming_python wrote:
    Militarov wrote:Also very important aspect is the price wich tends to be alot lower for towed than self propelled versions. Russians tho lack really good light towed howtizer atm in class of M777. Except that prototype 2A61 that i belive never saw any orders.

Yes I always thought that if there's one piece of military hardware that Russia should import (rather - produce domestically under license) from the UK/US - it should be the M777. Shouldn't be hard to convert it to 152mm calibre. It would be useful for mountain units in the Caucasus, Russian forces in Tajikistan, Armenia and Syria.

But then again if that 2A61 wasn't needed, then the M777 wouldn't be either - as they both pretty much occupy the same niche.

Its good divisional artillery system all round, good in field as it is in the mountains. It can basically replace MSTA-B, D30 and eventual Gig and M46 if they exist anywhere anymore in Russian army (some photos of M46 were released in 2014. that appeared to be in service) and rest can be perfomed by MSTA-S and upcoming Coalition. Get Nona based stuff for VDV as they need something extremly light and that would be it.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 2:55 pm