Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+32
mnztr
LMFS
Rodion_Romanovic
ArgentinaGuard
Tolstoy
Werewolf
owais.usmani
GarryB
flamming_python
kvs
Kiko
Hole
JohninMK
ludovicense
Scorpius
ALAMO
Begome
caveat emptor
andalusia
Broski
par far
Belisarius
sepheronx
PhSt
lyle6
Arrow
higurashihougi
Firebird
Sprut-B
AlfaT8
franco
lancelot
36 posters

Russia and economic war by the west #3

Scorpius
    Scorpius

Russia and economic war by the west #3 - Page 5 Empty Re: Russia and economic war by the west #3

Post  Scorpius Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:54 pm

flamming_python wrote: But still, we see the negative effects this situation leads to too, with the rouble's fall and necessitation of interest rate hikes.

A high interest rate is bad if you have a high credit load. But it's good if you have savings. My savings exceed my credit load.

franco, flamming_python, Kiko and Krepost like this post

kvs
    kvs

Russia and economic war by the west #3 - Page 5 Empty Re: Russia and economic war by the west #3

Post  kvs Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:08 pm

The problem is that the economy does not operate like the budget of any individual. Business borrowing is not private borrowing.
    If companies had to wait until they accumulated enough savings to retool and redesign products and change production capacity,
    they would be driven out of the market by companies that could borrow, invest, collect revenue and retire the loans in short order.
    In a closed system without such competition it translates into long delays in innovation and adaptation to market needs.

The same applies to buying a house. Not taking out a mortgage is retarded since the house prices increase faster than any savings
    rate of individuals. You will never buy a house unless the market is collapsing. Such collapses don't happen often enough to matter.

So it's nice that bank interest in Russia is high for savings, but the economy is not merely composed of individuals with bank savings.
    It is composed of corporations and institutional consumers as well.

franco, Sprut-B and Broski like this post

kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:15 pm

flamming_python wrote:

The record low unemployment is an indicator of overheating and a shortage of work force too. The Russian economy has expanded faster than its ability to attract workforce to the country

Which sounds like a nice problem to have, and yeah it's better than record unemployment and stagnation. But still, we see the negative effects this situation leads to too, with the rouble's fall and necessitation of interest rate hikes.

I would say worker shortage rather than overheating. There is no cheap credit injection that would be causing overheating and bubble formation. The high interest rate would
    be damping the economy but it is a difficult balance between suppression of investment to facilitate adaptation to the new conditions and prevention of overheating. The current
    rate is in the suppression regime in my opinion.

We often hear about automation removing jobs. Russia needs automation to offset the worker shortage.

franco, xeno, Sprut-B and The-thing-next-door like this post

kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:25 pm

Kanada tries and fails to act like a great imperial power.

GarryB and Hole like this post

higurashihougi
    higurashihougi

Post  higurashihougi Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:35 am

https://www.rt.com/news/581774-kalas-karis-estonia-ukraine/

Russia hawk in hot water over husband’s business dealings

A firm co-owned by the spouse of Estonian PM Kaja Kallas reportedly kept working with Russia despite EU sanctions pwnd

Estonian President Alar Karis has demanded explanations from the Baltic state’s prime minister, Kaja Kallas, after local media reports claimed that her husband was doing business with Russia despite EU sanctions imposed over the Ukraine conflict.

On Wednesday, the broadcaster ERR reported that transport firm Stark Logistics, which is partially owned by Kallas’ husband Arvo Hallik, continued moving some cargo in and out of Russia after the fighting between Moscow and Kiev broke out in February 2022. The company’s CEO Kristjan Kraag told the outlet that it had redirected most of its activities to Poland and Scandinavia during the conflict, but acknowledged that a small number of hauls to Russia still took place.

“It’s true that I am married to Arvo Hallik, but I have no idea about his business,” the Prine Minister claimed. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

GarryB, franco, kvs, Sprut-B, Hole and Broski like this post

Hole
    Hole

Post  Hole Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:40 am

but I have no idea about his business
    She learned a lot from Sleepy Joe Biden.  lol1

GarryB, franco, par far, kvs, Sprut-B and Broski like this post

kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:20 pm

These limitrophe retard statelets have bet their future on mighty NATzO but ultimately will have f*cked themselves over.   The EU
    is not going to be there to trickle welfare to prop them up for centuries to come.   Pissing at the biggest economy in Europe and getting bigger
    all the time while sucking off a past use-by date empire in terminal decline is some epic brain fail.   But that is what ethnic hate and
    chauvinism gets you, short-circuit spasm-think.

Sprut-B, Hole, Scorpius and Broski like this post

flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:25 pm

Scorpius wrote:
    flamming_python wrote: But still, we see the negative effects this situation leads to too, with the rouble's fall and necessitation of interest rate hikes.

A high interest rate is bad if you have a high credit load. But it's good if you have savings. My savings exceed my credit load.

Mine don't, but thankfully I have rouble devaluation to save me Twisted Evil
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:29 pm

flamming_python wrote:
    Scorpius wrote:

Mine don't, but thankfully I have rouble devaluation to save me Twisted Evil

Why, you got loads of money in other denominations?

I have read somewhere that a ton of companies in Russia are having to jack up wages not because of inflation, but because they are trying to keep workers due to shortage of skilled labor.

kvs likes this post

lyle6
    lyle6

Post  lyle6 Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:39 pm

higurashihougi wrote:https://www.rt.com/news/581774-kalas-karis-estonia-ukraine/

Russia hawk in hot water over husband’s business dealings

A firm co-owned by the spouse of Estonian PM Kaja Kallas reportedly kept working with Russia despite EU sanctions pwnd

Estonian President Alar Karis has demanded explanations from the Baltic state’s prime minister, Kaja Kallas, after local media reports claimed that her husband was doing business with Russia despite EU sanctions imposed over the Ukraine conflict.  

On Wednesday, the broadcaster ERR reported that transport firm Stark Logistics, which is partially owned by Kallas’ husband Arvo Hallik, continued moving some cargo in and out of Russia after the fighting between Moscow and Kiev broke out in February 2022. The company’s CEO Kristjan Kraag told the outlet that it had redirected most of its activities to Poland and Scandinavia during the conflict, but acknowledged that a small number of hauls to Russia still took place.    

“It’s true that I am married to Arvo Hallik, but I have no idea about his business,” the Prine Minister claimed. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
    In fairness you can't blame her or her husband. When you live in a truck stop between Russia and Germany masquerading as a country its really fucking hard to not get in contact with Russian money.

franco, flamming_python, kvs, Hole, Begome and Broski like this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:23 am

In fairness you can't blame her or her husband. When you live in a truck stop between Russia and Germany masquerading as a country its really fucking hard to not get in contact with Russian money.

No sympathy at all... when you are leading the charge to get everyone to break ties with the invaders of Europe and it turns out your family make good money on those monsters and you have no interest in stopping making that money for your own principles then she is a two faced liar and a bitch... there are plenty of others who would prefer to keep trading with Russia and Russians and she blocked them and shamed them and now it seems her husband is doing the same thing...

flamming_python, kvs and Sprut-B like this post

flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:42 am

sepheronx wrote:Why, you got loads of money in other denominations?

I have read somewhere that a ton of companies in Russia are having to jack up wages not because of inflation, but because they are trying to keep workers due to shortage of skilled labor.

No, although at my previous job I did have a salary indexed to a dollar amount, so every devaluation benefited me. Those were the days Cool

It's more the fact that devaluations lead to inflation and indexation of payments, salaries, etc... while the amount you owe in roubles remains the same regardless.

sepheronx likes this post

kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:18 pm

Closing off the offshore racket has to be priority number one for Russia.

Sprut-B likes this post

caveat emptor
    caveat emptor

Post  caveat emptor Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:18 pm

What this video completely misses is a suspension of Double Tax Agreements (DTA) and Tax Evasion treaties with all "unfriendly" countries (38) at the beginning of August that cancels withholding of tax provisions, property income tax relief, dividends, interest, royalties and it came in effect immediately. That was very important first step of closing the loophole of tax avoidance. Obviously, Dubai and Hong Kong remain an option, which are already being used by Russian companies.
    Re-registration to Russia of companies started in 2018, i believe, but results so far were mixed, at best. Russia wants to create, so called, domestic of shore zones ( Kaliningrad and Vladivostok), but many domestic industrialists are strongly opposing it and some industry unions even threatened with Constitutional Court of Russia lawsuit, with a good reasoning, i think. It would basically put companies registered in newfound domestic offshore in a privileged position when compared to others.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:35 am

Which just shows us all what bastards CEOs of companies everywhere are like... you could hardly consider Russia a high tax country yet companies which are Russian companies who do most of their business in Russia shift their HQs to foreign countries to reduce the amount of Tax they have to pay to do business...

Those companies are scum... they should triple tax them.

kvs, Sprut-B and Hole like this post

higurashihougi
    higurashihougi

Post  higurashihougi Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:09 pm

https://rg.ru/2023/08/25/rossijskie-knigoizdateli-pochti-polnostiu-pereshli-na-otechestvennuiu-bumagu.html

Russian book publishers have almost completely switched to domestic paper

A year and a half after the ban on the supply of coated paper to Russia, introduced by the European Union, book publishers almost completely switched to domestic, the Ministry of Digital Development reported, RBC writes.

It is noted that the industry in 95% of cases chooses Russian raw materials. At the same time, according to the largest publishing houses, domestic paper turned out to be cheaper and better than imported paper. However, its range is still small.

So, Eksmo-AST confirmed that if in 2022 they still printed books on imported paper from the remaining stocks, then from 2023 the group completely switched to coated paper produced in Russia. Alpina reported that they buy paper in Russia and Belarus. The publishing house has no supplies of materials from China and Europe.

Before the imposition of sanctions, coated paper was imported to Russia from Finland, Germany and Sweden. Its imports amounted to 80-85%.

GarryB, flamming_python, Sprut-B, LMFS, Hole, Kiko and Broski like this post

Hole
    Hole

Post  Hole Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:23 pm

are having to jack up wages not because of inflation,
    Could this be the reason why Shoigu was in North-Korea? Labor shortages?
    Some 150 or 200.000 workers from the DPRK working in the construction, agricultural and manufacturing sectors could really help.

flamming_python, kvs, Sprut-B, LMFS and Broski like this post

kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:30 pm

NATzO has made it easier to remove parasites afflicting Russia's economy.

GarryB, Sprut-B, Hole and Broski like this post

Broski
    Broski

Post  Broski Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:54 am

Hole wrote:
    Some 150 or 200.000 workers from the DPRK working in the construction, agricultural and manufacturing sectors could really help.
    Better to have North Korean labor than the central stans bringing their tribalism and religious extremism with them.

sepheronx, kvs and PhSt like this post

PhSt
    PhSt

Post  PhSt Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:31 am

Broski wrote:
    Better to have North Korean labor than the central stans bringing their tribalism and religious extremism with them.

Yep. Totally agree. Muslims have always been a problem wherever they are across the world.

But, I hope that Russia will put up a special department that will deal with this problem. For example, Russia will allow immigration of people from Central Asia But they will have to be Russified by force. This policy will have to be incorporated into law. The Russification process will involve Three important pillars. 1) having them change their name to Russian, 2) speak the Russian language as their main language and 3) adopt Russian Orthodoxy as their religion.

With these 3 conditions in place, the new immigrants and their future generations will be successfully Russified and it will be difficult for their descendants to reverse this process.

This will also pave the way for Russia's eventual liberation of all of Central Asia back to Russian control.

zardof and The-thing-next-door like this post

flamming_python and Rasisuki Nebia dislike this post

caveat emptor
    caveat emptor

Post  caveat emptor Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:23 pm

It is not about muslims per se. Some of the stans are completely nonfunctional states, where central government doesn't control whole country and all kinds of extremists run provinces. Along with religious fundamentalism, those people are mostly severely uneducated, which relegates them to doing lowest skilled manual labor jobs.
    ALAMO

Post  ALAMO Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:36 pm

Hole wrote:

It is possible.
    NK exports a lot of labor, even to the EU.
    A shady business nobody will openly talk about Twisted Evil

GarryB, franco and Broski like this post

kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:52 pm

Banana republic level corruption. But at least it is being cleaned up.

GarryB likes this post

franco
    franco

Post  franco Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:57 pm

And although we are talking about private capital, the success of the Ministry of Finance diplomacy can hardly be overestimated. After all, quite recently it was out of the question to unblock the currency stuck in Western banks.

Russian Finance Minister Anton Siluanov estimated the total amount of Russian entrepreneurs' money hanging abroad at 1.5 trillion rubles. In Russia, according to official data, there are about half as many funds owned by foreigners in type C accounts. European commissioners claim that Russia has “taken” much more from the West: at least $150 billion through asset freezes, and if you add dividends to this, the amount is even more serious.

In the West, apparently, they began to realize that it would not be possible to intimidate Russia with any sanctions. In an effort to annoy our country, the EU has lost long-term assets, which are now simply transferred to other owners (you have to be content with depositary receipts for shares of Russian companies). The EU, of course, is aware that as soon as they decide to take away our property abroad, they can do the same with the assets of their owners.

We keep the money of foreigners who have decided to close their business in Russia and sell packages of securities of their companies on accounts of type “C”. The money of our companies abroad was also not allowed to be taken out. But our answer was softer: we allowed foreigners to invest hung money in Russian government bonds, buy stakes in Russian enterprises, pay taxes (if they still have production facilities in the Russian Federation). Another thing is that, unfortunately, not everyone took advantage of this opportunity, showing their temper, and already regret it.

Representatives of the Western world have long been accustomed to living by their own rules: to deal with Russian companies only because they provide a good inflow of capital into the European economy. By the way, for the time being, this was not hindered by the foreign economic policy pursued by the Central Bank and the economic bloc of the government. The money earned here was freely transferred abroad under the guise of dividends. The profits received by foreigners in Russia were expected by American banks, and the state bought securities of the US government debt with "extra" petrodollars. Liberals assured that the whole world lives by such rules. It's just that business and the state are looking for where it is better and more profitable to place their capital, which fits into the rules of the free market. If no one interferes with the free circulation of currency, then foreigners themselves will carry their money into our economy.

FULL ARTICLE: https://www-stoletie-ru.translate.goog/tekuschiiy_moment/konec_naivnoj_epohi_986.htm?utm_source=finobzor.ru&_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en

GarryB, Hole and Broski like this post

andalusia

Post  andalusia Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:08 am

The phrase "In God We Trust" is printed on US Money but I have always believed that Most Americans have a strong love of money and it really means that Americans put their trust in money not God.  It is really ingrained in US society, culture and its economic system and foreign policy.  It uses the dollar as a weapon against other countries that sent financial independence.

https://theconversation.com/the-complex-history-of-in-god-we-trust-91117

https://time.com/4179685/in-god-we-trust-currency-history/

https://www.thecollector.com/in-god-we-trust-money-roosevelt/

Begome likes this post

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 7:40 pm