Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


+106
lyle6
The_Observer
slasher
The-thing-next-door
Kiko
TMA1
PhSt
Backman
lancelot
Maximmmm
Rodion_Romanovic
Big_Gazza
Boshoed
owais.usmani
Arrow
jaguar_br
Ivanov673
archangelski
hoom
LMFS
Hole
dino00
Peŕrier
KomissarBojanchev
Cheetah
AMCXXL
mnztr
SeigSoloyvov
Isos
miketheterrible
Azi
Arctic_Fox
Tsavo Lion
Cyberspec
GunshipDemocracy
AK-Rex
gaurav
Singular_Transform
KiloGolf
eehnie
kopyo-21
VladimirSahin
max steel
d_taddei2
Project Canada
OminousSpudd
Berkut
Morpheus Eberhardt
x_54_u43
KoTeMoRe
ult
JohninMK
jhelb
Mike E
mack8
Odin of Ossetia
nemrod
PapaDragon
wilhelm
Teshub
Radium
sepheronx
Rmf
higurashihougi
kvs
EKS
mutantsushi
Book.
victor1985
Svyatoslavich
collegeboy16
franco
Manov
medo
magnumcromagnon
AbsoluteZero
Honesroc
Dorfmeister
George1
coolieno99
Rpg type 7v
flamming_python
Giulio
Vann7
a89
eridan
Mindstorm
spotter
macedonian
zg18
Werewolf
Sujoy
Firebird
Russian Patriot
SOC
TheArmenian
TR1
Hoof
nightcrawler
Austin
USAF
solo.13mmfmj
Viktor
Stealthflanker
GarryB
Admin
110 posters

    Tu-160 "White Swan"

    GarryB
    GarryB


    Posts : 33258
    Points : 33772
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 19 Empty Re: Tu-160 "White Swan"

    Post  GarryB Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:45 pm

    We have already been over this.

    They had four aircraft in different states of completion.

    They finished the two they could finish but because the remaining two didn't have the expensive and complicated titanium box structure the remaining two could not be completed outside of the Ukrainian factory that made them in the first place.

    The fact that they have finished the remaining two means they now have a forge able to work with very large titanium structures in a vacuum.... which is pretty much all they needed to make new Blackjacks.

    Mil and Kilo.. hope you are happy with your snide cheap shots...

    Troll all you want, you just sound like asses.

    These planes are going to be built and these engines are going to be upgraded and it might not actually run to schedule, because this is the real world and not fairy fanboi land like the EU you two live in.

    Oops, did I say fairy.... sorry, I realise in the western democratic republic of EU that you two live in that might be deemed offensive to faggots and I would be strung up under the nearest lamp post for uttering such an offensive slur on the good name of homos everywhere.
    KiloGolf
    KiloGolf


    Posts : 2495
    Points : 2479
    Join date : 2015-09-01
    Location : Macedonia, Hellas

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 19 Empty Re: Tu-160 "White Swan"

    Post  KiloGolf Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:16 pm

    Cyberspec wrote:
    KiloGolf wrote:Easy there, Note the word, "planned".
    It's a Russian military project, I'd expect some kind of delay. With creative excuses of course. lol1

    They apparently have 3-4 partialy completed airframes leftover from Soviet times. That should speed up the construction of the first examples

    Well that took about 1/4 of a century, beats Ivan Gren record. lol1

    GarryB wrote:Mil and Kilo.. hope you are happy with your snide cheap shots...

    Troll all you want, you just sound like asses.

    learn to take a joke Garry. yes sir

    And given the circumstances in Russian defense projects, there's plenty of subject matter.
    Cyberspec
    Cyberspec


    Posts : 2907
    Points : 3062
    Join date : 2011-08-08
    Location : Terra Australis

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 19 Empty Re: Tu-160 "White Swan"

    Post  Cyberspec Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:27 pm

    KiloGolf wrote:Well that took about 1/4 of a century....

    Congratulations thumbsup This one takes the prize for the most idiotic recent post...and it was a tight contest
    KiloGolf
    KiloGolf


    Posts : 2495
    Points : 2479
    Join date : 2015-09-01
    Location : Macedonia, Hellas

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 19 Empty Re: Tu-160 "White Swan"

    Post  KiloGolf Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:33 pm

    Cyberspec wrote:
    KiloGolf wrote:Well that took about 1/4 of a century....

    Congratulations  thumbsup  This one takes the prize for the most idiotic recent post...and it was a tight contest

    Try the Ivan Gren thread, you'll find epic stuff there.
    Although wait one sec, I can hear a phone ringing. Oh it's 1992, they want their incomplete bombers back jocolor

    PS. you too, learn to take a joke.
    GunshipDemocracy
    GunshipDemocracy


    Posts : 5337
    Points : 5361
    Join date : 2015-05-17
    Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 19 Empty Re: Tu-160 "White Swan"

    Post  GunshipDemocracy Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:35 pm

    Cyberspec wrote:
    KiloGolf wrote:Well that took about 1/4 of a century....

    Congratulations  thumbsup  This one takes the prize for the most idiotic recent post...and it was a tight contest

    i's weekend and I wanna smoke same thing as KiloGolf Razz Razz Razz
    avatar
    Guest
    Guest


    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 19 Empty Re: Tu-160 "White Swan"

    Post  Guest Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:30 pm

    GarryB wrote:We have already been over this.

    They had four aircraft in different states of completion.

    They finished the two they could finish but because the remaining two didn't have the expensive and complicated titanium box structure the remaining two could not be completed outside of the Ukrainian factory that made them in the first place.

    The fact that they have finished the remaining two means they now have a forge able to work with very large titanium structures in a vacuum.... which is pretty much all they needed to make new Blackjacks.

    Mil and Kilo.. hope you are happy with your snide cheap shots...

    Troll all you want, you just sound like asses.

    These planes are going to be built and these engines are going to be upgraded and it might not actually run to schedule, because this is the real world and not fairy fanboi land like the EU you two live in.

    Oops, did I say fairy.... sorry, I realise in the western democratic republic of EU that you two live in that might be deemed offensive to faggots and I would be strung up under the nearest lamp post for uttering such an offensive slur on the good name of homos everywhere.

    I do not live in the EU, that to start with Smile

    Second, i just commented on their cute schedules. How comes they always bring silly schedules and then prolong them for decade on average, whats the point. Stfu and just say, we are working on it, it will be done, report if you are pleased on completion phases during the work and thats it. But no... IN 2019. IT WILL... no it wont, over and over, it wont.

    "PAK-FA enters service in 2015."... yea..cute... "Admiral Nakhimov overhaul ends in 2018..."...right... "Ivan Gren...." you got me i hope.

    Who is coming up with these dates, someone with Down syndrome? Engine production restart will take long, then they will have issues with modernisations, then they will produce same NK-32 variant for start... same as it was with Izd-30.

    I am not "troll", i am just saying what everyone thinks, thats the difference.
    avatar
    Guest
    Guest


    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 19 Empty Re: Tu-160 "White Swan"

    Post  Guest Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:33 pm

    KiloGolf wrote:
    Cyberspec wrote:
    KiloGolf wrote:Well that took about 1/4 of a century....

    Congratulations  thumbsup  This one takes the prize for the most idiotic recent post...and it was a tight contest

    Try the Ivan Gren thread, you'll find epic stuff there.
    Although wait one sec, I can hear a phone ringing. Oh it's 1992, they want their incomplete bombers back jocolor

    PS. you too, learn to take a joke.

    To be honest, many other countries did scrap production of certain equipment, stored the semi complete examples and restarted production decade or two later, either as maintenance or replacement of lost equipment feat. Its not only Russian thing, tho that is far more common in naval production than aviation.
    Singular_Transform
    Singular_Transform


    Posts : 1000
    Points : 984
    Join date : 2016-11-13

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 19 Empty Re: Tu-160 "White Swan"

    Post  Singular_Transform Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:14 am

    Militarov wrote:

    I do not live in the EU, that to start with Smile

    Second, i just commented on their cute schedules. How comes they always bring silly schedules and then prolong them for decade on average, whats the point. Stfu and just say, we are working on it, it will be done, report if you are pleased on completion phases during the work and thats it. But no... IN 2019. IT WILL... no it wont, over and over, it wont.

    "PAK-FA enters service in 2015."... yea..cute... "Admiral Nakhimov overhaul ends in 2018..."...right... "Ivan Gren...." you got me i hope.

    Who is coming up with these dates, someone with Down syndrome? Engine production restart will take long, then they will have issues with modernisations, then they will produce same NK-32 variant for start... same as it was with Izd-30.

    I am not "troll", i am just saying what everyone thinks, thats the difference.

    It is completely normal, just see what happened with the US nuclear manufacturing lines after two decade of shutdown.

    They wanted to make just same fogbank ,and it is only a small part of a nuke, and faced with extreme expense and years later delivery than it was expected.


    avatar
    wilhelm


    Posts : 292
    Points : 296
    Join date : 2014-12-09

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 19 Empty Re: Tu-160 "White Swan"

    Post  wilhelm Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:23 pm

    Too much idle chit chat here.
    The roll out of the Tu-160M, or partial M i guess, in Kazan, prototype for the new production, apparently from one of the last unfinished airframes previously built 25 years ago. Slated to fly in February of 2018.

    Article below.
    https://kazanfirst.ru/articles/452526


    Last edited by wilhelm on Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
    TheArmenian
    TheArmenian


    Posts : 1883
    Points : 2030
    Join date : 2011-09-14

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 19 Empty Re: Tu-160 "White Swan"

    Post  TheArmenian Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:35 pm

    A truly UUUURRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA moment

    They tried to kill the white swan

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 19 O6hDLRg

    Now the Phoenix has risen from the ashes.

    A better resolution video:
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon


    Posts : 12216
    Points : 12276
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 19 Empty Re: Tu-160 "White Swan"

    Post  PapaDragon Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:12 am


    I know they started with partially built airframe but this is still not a bad time at all. They said that one of the objectives was for new guy to learn how to build these planes becasue old ones are mostly retired by now. Not bad.

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 19 F_aTEudGF0YXItaW5mb3JtLnJ1L2ltYWdlLzIwMTcvMTEvMTYvMDIuanBnP19faWQ9MTAwNDI1

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 19 F_c2RlbGFub3VuYXMucnUvdXBsb2Fkcy85LzkvOTkzMTUxMDg1MzEyMF9vcmlnLmpwZWc_X19pZD0xMDA0MjU=

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 19 F_a2F6YW5maXJzdC5ydS9zdG9yYWdlL3Bvc3QvTm92ZW1iZXIyMDE3L0RxdlNDNGU5MmlzMGI3Z3lBcnBvLXdhdGVybWFyay5qcGVnP19faWQ9MTAwNDI1

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 19 F_a2F6YW5maXJzdC5ydS9zdG9yYWdlL3Bvc3QvTm92ZW1iZXIyMDE3L0tvU1U2b2djdnpCWVNpSEpjSHdFLXdhdGVybWFyay5qcGVnP19faWQ9MTAwNDI1
    Cyberspec
    Cyberspec


    Posts : 2907
    Points : 3062
    Join date : 2011-08-08
    Location : Terra Australis

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 19 Empty Re: Tu-160 "White Swan"

    Post  Cyberspec Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:46 am

    the plane isn't even painted yet....way too slow tongue
    Tsavo Lion
    Tsavo Lion


    Posts : 5683
    Points : 5667
    Join date : 2016-08-16
    Location : AZ, USA

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 19 Empty Re: Tu-160 "White Swan"

    Post  Tsavo Lion Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:12 am

    Perhaps once the M2s start getting inducted, some of the older Tu-160s will be transferred to the Naval Aviation to replace/augment Tu-95s/142s.


    Last edited by Tsavo Lion on Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:56 am; edited 3 times in total
    Arctic_Fox
    Arctic_Fox


    Posts : 158
    Points : 161
    Join date : 2015-05-02
    Age : 29
    Location : Brazil

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 19 Empty Re: Tu-160 "White Swan"

    Post  Arctic_Fox Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:59 am

    This means that they gave up on PAK DA?
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon


    Posts : 12216
    Points : 12276
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 19 Empty Re: Tu-160 "White Swan"

    Post  PapaDragon Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:08 am

    Arctic_Fox wrote:This means that they gave up on PAK DA?

    No just pushed back for later

    They still need replacement for Tu-22 that won't cost as much as Tu-160
    Tsavo Lion
    Tsavo Lion


    Posts : 5683
    Points : 5667
    Join date : 2016-08-16
    Location : AZ, USA

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 19 Empty Re: Tu-160 "White Swan"

    Post  Tsavo Lion Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:00 pm

    More details:
    http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/16175/russia-rolls-out-new-tu-160m2-but-are-moscows-bomber-ambitions-realistic
    "..Tupolev, in addressing two main tasks – the deep modernization of the Tu-160, and the development of the PAK-DA, may have focused on the [Tu-160] bird in hand, while the [PAK-DA] pot of gold at the end of the rainbow can wait," Tuchkov explained. ..
    Ultimately, the military analyst noted that the fact that the Tu-160M2 is being created in parallel with the PAK-DA is to the advantage of both aircraft, allowing the modernized plane to receive advanced technologies, while giving the next generation bomber a head start on development.
    https://sputniknews.com/military/201706221054888100-tu160m2-prospects-analysis/
    avatar
    Azi


    Posts : 567
    Points : 559
    Join date : 2016-04-06

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 19 Empty Re: Tu-160 "White Swan"

    Post  Azi Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:08 am

    Arctic_Fox wrote:This means that they gave up on PAK DA?
    The work on Tu-160M2 doesn't mean that PAK-DA is dead. The contrary! If you hear nothing the project lives Wink They said they will reveal the design in 2018.
    miketheterrible
    miketheterrible


    Posts : 7403
    Points : 7377
    Join date : 2016-11-07

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 19 Empty Re: Tu-160 "White Swan"

    Post  miketheterrible Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:04 am

    http://tass.ru/armiya-i-opk/4730201

    Source: PAK DA will be cheaper than the Tu-160, but you can replace all long range aircraft
    GarryB
    GarryB


    Posts : 33258
    Points : 33772
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 19 Empty Re: Tu-160 "White Swan"

    Post  GarryB Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:36 am

    This means that they gave up on PAK DA?

    No.

    The PAK DA needs to be developed from scratch, which will take some time. In the mean time they have upgraded their production facilities to handle construction of very large titanium structures needed for aircraft like the Tu-160 and the new PAK DA.

    The new tooling and facilities to be used to build new Tu-160M2s will then be used to build PAK DAs to replace the Tu-95s left in service in the strategic role and the Tu-22m3s used in the theatre role.

    This is clearly one of the four airframes left from the cold war period.... one of the second pair they could not make because the factory that could handly such large titanium structures was in the Ukraine.

    Now this aircraft is near completion but presumably with new internals like fibre optics instead of copper wires etc etc.

    I am looking forward to seeing the third Tu-160M2 to see if it has the optics under the nose for bombing...

    It goes without saying that a subsonic flying wing design should have lower operating costs than a supersonic large jet like the blackjack.... it is like comparing a jumbo jet with Concord.
    George1
    George1


    Posts : 17654
    Points : 18161
    Join date : 2011-12-23
    Location : Greece

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 19 Empty Re: Tu-160 "White Swan"

    Post  George1 Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:29 pm

    This unit is a new built one or old Tu-160 modernized to M2 level?
    franco
    franco


    Posts : 5144
    Points : 5176
    Join date : 2010-08-18

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 19 Empty Re: Tu-160 "White Swan"

    Post  franco Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:51 pm

    George1 wrote:This unit is a new built one or old Tu-160 modernized to M2 level?

    My understanding is it was built using an unfinished frame from the Tu-160 production. Don't believe it has the new engines yet but will be used as a test platform for the new technology.
    Isos
    Isos


    Posts : 9429
    Points : 9413
    Join date : 2015-11-07

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 19 Empty Re: Tu-160 "White Swan"

    Post  Isos Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:12 pm

    franco wrote:
    George1 wrote:This unit is a new built one or old Tu-160 modernized to M2 level?

    My understanding is it was built using an unfinished frame from the Tu-160 production. Don't believe it has the new engines yet but will be used as a test platform for the new technology.

    Is it more stealthy ? Do they us RAM on it or they use the same materials than before ?
    franco
    franco


    Posts : 5144
    Points : 5176
    Join date : 2010-08-18

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 19 Empty Re: Tu-160 "White Swan"

    Post  franco Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:26 pm

    Not sure however one of our techies may know.
    GunshipDemocracy
    GunshipDemocracy


    Posts : 5337
    Points : 5361
    Join date : 2015-05-17
    Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 19 Empty Re: Tu-160 "White Swan"

    Post  GunshipDemocracy Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:42 pm

    franco wrote:Not sure however one of our techies may know.  

    First of all avionics, both for bombing, navigation, signalling and net-centric warfare, EW. I would also add anti missile systems (lasers for blinding optical sensors or microwaves to burning missile electronics) . Engines and hudrulics too. In short  air frame looka remains as air flow didn't change. T?he rest can be the subject of change/upgrade
    eehnie
    eehnie


    Posts : 2437
    Points : 2444
    Join date : 2015-05-13

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 19 Empty Re: Tu-160 "White Swan"

    Post  eehnie Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:53 pm

    Isos wrote:
    franco wrote:
    George1 wrote:This unit is a new built one or old Tu-160 modernized to M2 level?

    My understanding is it was built using an unfinished frame from the Tu-160 production. Don't believe it has the new engines yet but will be used as a test platform for the new technology.

    Is it more stealthy ? Do they us RAM on it or they use the same materials than before ?

    Some small external dimmensional change is possible, also it is possible some surface treatment, but change in external materials is more difficult and is unlikely in my opinion.

    Sponsored content


    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 19 Empty Re: Tu-160 "White Swan"

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sat May 28, 2022 7:31 pm