Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+52
RTN
Sujoy
mnrck
lyle6
Atmosphere
TMA1
Krepost
AlfaT8
owais.usmani
Odin of Ossetia
DerWolf
Singular_Transform
PhSt
thegopnik
Gazputin
miketheterrible
kvs
Mindstorm
Big_Gazza
nero
dino00
Tsavo Lion
LMFS
GunshipDemocracy
Ives
mnztr
PapaDragon
Hole
flamming_python
KomissarBojanchev
magnumcromagnon
GarryB
william.boutros
Arrow
Vann7
mack8
Fulcrum-35
BKP
Zivo
Austin
TheArmenian
zg18
JohninMK
hoom
Cyberspec
gaurav
ATLASCUB
The-thing-next-door
Isos
auslander
medo
George1
56 posters

"Kinzhal" hypersonic aviation-missile complex

PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

"Kinzhal" hypersonic aviation-missile complex - Page 16 Empty Re: "Kinzhal" hypersonic aviation-missile complex

Post  PapaDragon Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:45 am

Su-34 is now officially carrying Kinzhal, already used in combat

https://tass.ru/armiya-i-opk/18647287?utm_source=yxnews&utm_medium=desktop

Years ago I said that they should tweak Su-34 to carry Kinzhal and give them to Coastal Aviation in order to cheaply keep enemy ships away and everyone here kept going on how it's a lame idea and how only MiG-31 can do it

As always I ended up being right Cool

franco, George1, dino00, zardof and Broski like this post

Big_Gazza
    Big_Gazza

"Kinzhal" hypersonic aviation-missile complex - Page 16 Empty Re: "Kinzhal" hypersonic aviation-missile complex

Post  Big_Gazza Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:25 am

Yeah, I've no doubt that Su-34 can carry Kinzhal if the necessary modifications are made, but as the Su-34 lacks the operating ceiling and max speed of the MiG-31K the missiles will have a reduced range. Basic physics, nothing contraversial as far I can see.

GarryB and zardof like this post

Hole
    Hole

Post  Hole Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:00 am

Or the missile got a booster to reduce the losses in performance.

PapaDragon likes this post

ALAMO

Post  ALAMO Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:21 am

Naaah, to complicated.
    What's the difference, if it flies 2000 or 1700 km, a whole 404 is in range anyway What a Face
    d_taddei2
    d_taddei2

Post  d_taddei2 Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:38 pm

I know not many, if any now use the Mig-25, but Algeria just very recently retired theirs. Russian doesn't seem to be wanting to sell Mig-31, I would have thought it wouldnt have been hard to convert those Mig-25 to carry Kinzhal, the Mig-25 is still capable aircraft and for that role would still give it a use. And the upgrade I would imagine wouldn't cost much. This would give Algeria an additional punch in it's arsenal. Syria also fielded the Mig-25. Although fielding a squadron of Mig-25 carrying Kinzhal near the Med, and close to Israel probably wouldn't go down too well with Turkey, Israel and USA lol! or maybe Russia could take out of storage some Mig-25 convert them to carry it and gift to Iran to threaten the Hormuz strait lol!

Big_Gazza, kvs and owais.usmani like this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:52 am

Foreign users of MiG-25s withdrew them because their operational costs are relatively high compared with other fighter types.

Also as they get older they become more expensive to maintain and support... imagine trying to find a 5 and a quarter inch floppy drive because all the software you use comes on 5 and a quarter inch floppy disks.

Of course most of the avionics on an old MiG could be replaced with a cellphone sized computer these days...

d_taddei2 and Eugenio Argentina like this post

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:12 am