Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+3
miketheterrible
kvs
Walther von Oldenburg
7 posters

PC technical issues

Walther von Oldenburg
    Walther von Oldenburg

PC technical issues Empty PC technical issues

Post  Walther von Oldenburg Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:24 pm

Does anyone know how to fix stuttering in games on PC? UBOAT is unplayable because of it, every 2-3 s there is a "freeze" for about 0.5 s. It also happens in FC4 and AC: Oddysey but only in cutscenes.

I have latest AMD dricers, I tried turning off game mode in Win 10 but it did not work.
    kvs
    kvs

PC technical issues Empty Re: PC technical issues

Post  kvs Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:56 am

Walther von Oldenburg wrote:Does anyone know how to fix stuttering in games on PC? UBOAT is unplayable because of it, every 2-3 s there is a "freeze" for about 0.5 s. It also happens in FC4 and AC: Oddysey but only in cutscenes.

I have latest AMD dricers, I tried turning off game mode in Win 10 but it did not work.

You are experiencing the worst type of issue. Your newest drivers may be the source of the problem. The latest drivers do not
    ensure best performance. This is partly related to the interaction of the drivers with the OS. Windows updates have and will continue
    to break software. Your options are:

1) Fresh install of the OS and earlier version of the drivers.

2) Install earlier version of the drivers with a proper full uninstall of the version you have now. You need a custom utility to
    do this since windows uninstall will leave files behind.

The above assumes that you are not experiencing video card hardware failure. The stuttering seems to be a texture upload problem where
    it takes too long to periodically transfer textures from disk into video RAM. I am also assuming you had no stuttering issues before
    and your video card is new enough to have sufficient and fast (GDDR5 or later) video RAM to handle these games.

Walther von Oldenburg
    Walther von Oldenburg

Post  Walther von Oldenburg Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:07 pm

I have an RX 480 from on a 2016 high-end PC. The stuttering started around April-May 2018 after either Windows or drivers update. I had zero stuttering in Far Cry 4 before that time and ultra smoot framerate on almost highest settings.
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:44 pm

Walther von Oldenburg wrote:I have an RX 480 from on a 2016 high-end PC. The stuttering started around April-May 2018 after either Windows or drivers update. I had zero stuttering in Far Cry 4 before that time and ultra smoot framerate on almost highest settings.

Sounds like an OS or driver update specific issue. That narrows it down. Try rolling back the video drivers. Or wait until there is a driver update that may fix
    a problem introduced by the OS update. Check the AMD driver board if people are having similar issues. If they are, then you will likely get a driver fix in
    the near future. If not, then you are going to have to play around with older drivers that may be immune to the OS update issue.

Bloody annoying all of this. M$haft and the various companies that depend on it to reach the mass market consumer treat the consumer like
    sh*t.

miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:53 pm

Could be multitude of things.

What temps is your RX 480 running at? As well, when was last time you updated drivers?

If you need to update drivers, remember to use DDU

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Use monitoring software such as:
    https://www.msi.com/page/afterburner

Or

https://www.nzxt.com/camapp

To grab temps.

Also, what is your power supply?

Last but not least on top of my head, is your motherboard running at pci e 16x 3.0? Use gpuZ to check.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/
    Walther von Oldenburg
    Walther von Oldenburg

PC technical issues Empty PC freezes

Post  Walther von Oldenburg Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:42 pm

Some time ago my PC started freezing for no reason.

IT's always the same - everything runs ok and until 30-40 min there is a freeze. First the curser works but I can't click anything, then after approx. 10s even the cursor freezes.

I have the latest drivers and Win 10. What the f... is going on?
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:10 pm

Walther von Oldenburg wrote:Some time ago my PC started freezing for no reason.

IT's always the same - everything runs ok and until 30-40 min there is a freeze. First the curser works but I can't click anything, then after approx. 10s even the cursor freezes.

Either you have RAM corruption, malware (not necessarily functional), or a corrupted windows install. If you have more than
    8 gigabytes of RAM you should be OK. It is possible your video card is old and is having issues although this is not likely.

There are too many variables for any simple diagnosis. You have to go by trial and error and check various components.
    Try a fresh Windows 10 install on an empty SSD and if you do not have the problem then it is something to do with your
    current software as opposed to hardware.

PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:25 pm

If your hard drive data isn't getting corrupted then it could be motherboard

Make backup copy of important stuff before you do anything else

Have you checked your cooler? I had crapload of problems back in a day due to shoddy cooler and CPU overheating, it was manifesting in a similar way

Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:15 pm

Get monitoring software. Observe the spikes. Fix the issue
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:33 pm

Probably not overheating... normally it would just shut down if it was overheating rather than freezing.

Go to an anti virus website that you trust and see if they have any diagnostic tools you can use to remotely scan your computer.

Back up all your important data first.

I am a computer nerd so I have lots of hard drives from old computers, but something that might be useful is to make a bootable USB stick... a 16GB one is big enough for any OS so you can boot up on that and don't access your C drive and see if it happens again.

It would identify if it is hardware or software related...

If it does not freeze then I would reinstall your operating system over the existing one... it shouldn't damage anything but would normally fix corrupted files.

Freezes and lockups were much more common on older machines, but the newer OS generally handle permissions and access... normally it is two or more processes trying to access the same things so they are waiting for the other process to finish so they can use that resource but the other resource is doing the same so there is a conflict.

Check out your hardware manager to make sure there are no hardware conflicts... try updating drivers for your various bits.

When was the first time it happened... was it just after an OS update? or a hardware driver update?

Check the websites for the OS and your major hardware to see if other users are having similar problems... you might need to roll back and update.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:48 am

Walther von Oldenburg wrote:Some time ago my PC started freezing for no reason.

did u try to run in safe mode?
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:38 pm

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/windows-10-bug-corrupts-your-hard-drive-on-seeing-this-files-icon/

An unpatched zero-day in Microsoft Windows 10 allows attackers to corrupt an NTFS-formatted hard drive with a one-line command.

In multiple tests by BleepingComputer, this one-liner can be delivered hidden inside a Windows shortcut file, a ZIP archive, batch files, or various other vectors to trigger hard drive errors that corrupt the filesystem index instantly.

MicroCrap strikes again. A trivial issue of

cd <text string>

can corrupt your NTFS filesystem.

This is some epic inanity. The change directory command should never be able to change disk contents. Only MicroCrap would
    turn it into a write to disk command.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:45 am