Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+51
RTN
Arrow
TMA1
owais.usmani
Sujoy
Hole
Tsavo Lion
Isos
Cyberspec
miketheterrible
KoTeMoRe
JohninMK
Book.
par far
PapaDragon
Tyloe
Zivo
iraqidabab
type055
max steel
ExBeobachter1987
mutantsushi
kvs
magnumcromagnon
Hannibal Barca
AlfaT8
higurashihougi
coolieno99
TR1
Asf
mack8
medo
macedonian
zg18
Viktor
arpakola
Werewolf
George1
collegeboy16
Austin
flamming_python
Firebird
Regular
gaurav
Pervius
AbsoluteZero
nightcrawler
GarryB
Admin
sepheronx
milky_candy_sugar
55 posters

Sino-Russian relations and trade

Regular
    Regular

Sino-Russian relations and trade - Page 2 Empty Re: Sino-Russian relations and trade

Post  Regular Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:48 pm

China is cool until it starts copying Russian stuff and calling it their own and even better. Then it really pisses me off.
    Firebird

Sino-Russian relations and trade - Page 2 Empty Re: Sino-Russian relations and trade

Post  Firebird Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:56 pm

The good side to China is that I understand they've never tried to invade anywhere outside the (former!) 7 kingdoms of China.

BUT with 1.4 billion people, huge ec power, and shit stirrers (America's republicans etc!) backing them, I dont think vigilance and caution does any harm. Even Hitler tried the "Mr Nice Guy" routine in the early days.

Nor does China show any respect for intellectual property.

Persoanlly, I think their mentality, their obsession with "face" (ie status and pride) means that its not really possible for Russia to become real friends with them.

Natural alliances I believe are the CIS, India, Slavic Europe, and the more advanced European countries. And places like Brazil, Venezuela etc

Trade is fine (within reason), tech transfer and weakening the Russian position... NO THANKS!

OK the gas deal is fine. Provided it doesn't take Russia away from doing things with Europe. The question is...what will Russia's long term relationship with China be like.

For now, 200bn pa is very good news.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:37 am

I have no respect for intellectual property rights... if you didn't come up with it, then some one else will... and several might have already come up with it but not had the backing or strength to get it to a produce-able product that earns money.

Or do you think it is fair some dimwit chick can warble a song someone else wrote and make millions of dollars from a weekend in a recording studio, while the people that built the roads and buildings and cars she uses every day earn minimum wage.

Intellectual property is sometimes overrated.

Persoanlly, I think their mentality, their obsession with "face" (ie status and pride) means that its not really possible for Russia to become real friends with them.

There are very few real friends in international politics, but they can certainly trade and work together on things they can both benefit from.

Trade is fine (within reason), tech transfer and weakening the Russian position... NO THANKS!

Actually the tech transfer can go both ways... the west has invested a lot of money into china and there were a few things available to china they will not sell to russia... also a few things china has 'borrowed' no doubt too.

OK the gas deal is fine. Provided it doesn't take Russia away from doing things with Europe. The question is...what will Russia's long term relationship with China be like.

The EU is pushing Russia away... every year they have meetings and make changes to try and deal with their dependency on Russian natural resources... Asia has more money anyway, and tends to treat Russia with more respect than most of europe.
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:54 pm

Firebird wrote:The good side to China is that I understand they've never tried to invade anywhere outside the (former!) 7 kingdoms of China.

Of course you can't base future predictions off past history - but it holds a lot of relevance nontheless. You can certainly gain a better understanding of a country's likely actions, phobia, vital interests, etc.. by looking at how it has behaved in the past.

For example you could always count on Russia to want to acquire buffer states and allies on its Western borders with Europe.
    And likewise you can count on China to be insular, fixated on their economy, and keep themselves mostly to Asia, rather than attempting to colonise Siberia; after all they never even wanted to risk allocating the resources required for that at any time during their several thousand year history; even when those lands were just inhabited by scattered tribes as opposed to a nuclear power with a huge military as now.

BUT with 1.4 billion people, huge ec power, and shit stirrers (America's republicans etc!) backing them, I dont think vigilance and caution does any harm. Even Hitler tried the "Mr Nice Guy" routine in the early days.

America's neo-cons are still raging today - that they can't get Russia and China to duke it out or even display the slightest signs of public distrust or disagreement with each other Razz

It means Russia and China are on the ball - their joint diplomacy and publicly united front in the UN and elsewhere are what enable them to both gain a lot of influence and respect though organisations such as BRICS and the SCO.
    Were they bickering in public - countries in Africa, South America and Asia would definitely think twice before moving closer to them and forgoing some preferential terms or partnerships with the IMF and G7 instead.

They're communists (nominally), why should they? Razz

You have this sort of thing in all East Asian countries but I don't think it's all that important; at the end of the day they can be counted on to act as pragmatically as Russia. China right now is acting very pragmatically and diplomatically in relation to the wider-world; it's more careful to avoid conflicts and involvements in this or that than Russia is.

Natural alliances I believe are the CIS, India, Slavic Europe, and the more advanced European countries. And places like Brazil, Venezuela etc

The Europeans are obsessed with expansionism into the former USSR and the Middle East, and trying to interfere in Russia politically.
    The Slavic Europeans are obsessed with their own Russophobia; enough said.
    The CIS can be good but equally some countries like Uzbekistan, the Ukraine, Moldova, Georgia, etc... are just too unpredictable, unstable or easily swayed - they can be counted on only to change their positions vis-a-vis Russia every few years; which of course does no-one any good in terms of trying to build long-term economic partnerships.
    India and the South Americans are good partners and hold plenty of potential; the trouble is that they are just a lot further away and thus trade between Russia and them will never be as high as between Russia and the CIS, China or Europe.

As you can see, there are downsides to every one of these countries. And China too.
    But on balance - China is no worse a partner for Russia than any of them.
    Fortunately Russia is a very powerful country and we are not burdened with the decision to have to make a choice between one or the other. We can be partners with all of them at once.

A weakening of the Russian position for the sake of ANY one of our partners is unacceptable.
    That sort of goes against the idea of partnership (i.e. mutual benefits and interests)

I'd like to be optimistic. No-one can say about 50-100 years from now; the world then will be a different place. But for the next 15-20 years it will probably be fine.
    gaurav
    gaurav

Post  gaurav Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:25 am

Regular wrote: China is cool until it starts copying Russian stuff and calling it their own and even better. Then it really pisses me off.

First I would like to tahnk for your replies.. growing topic eh.. Smile

See the thing is that China has been trying hard , really really hard to export their air defense , JF-17 , J-10 etc but not a single customer has applied or prepared to import this hardware.
    If you access the situation going from 1995 to 2014 (almost 2 decades ) and yet no exports then ofcouse many chinese manufactures will be forced to "COPY" the specification of the original products adn sell those specifications.
    There are hell lot of Chinese manufactureres doing the same , as they cannot depend on Chinese defence budget alone.
    Chinese defence budget does not account for all the HW that those companies are developing..

OFF_TOPIC
    This website is not working.. I am not able to access russiadefence.net
    I am only able to access englishboard.net domain..I mean now only englishboard.net is working..
    IS there some issue with that confused bounce

Austin

Post  Austin Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:14 pm

The Russia-China Oil/Gas deal is more of a commercial nature , since both countries share a border and China needs huge amount of Gas and Oil and Russia has the same , its cheaper to build a pipeline and supply Oil and Gas to China and its cheaper compared to say transport Gas via Ships and build LNG Terminal.

India has similar deal with Russia in Sakhlin basin but it needs ships and LNG terminal at ports.

So there is nothing Evil about Russia-China Deal its more of mercantile. No one every Says China-US trading is evil and they are worth many hundred billion dollar.

As for China Invading Russia or something like that Nuclear Weapons make sure such things dont happen , No country can afford even few cities getting Nuked neither US nor China nor Russia that ensures Strategic Stability.
    Austin

Post  Austin Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:07 pm

Power of Siberia this is the source where Chinese will receive their Gas

http://www.gazprom.com/about/production/projects/pipelines/ykv/
    gaurav
    gaurav

Post  gaurav Sat May 11, 2013 3:42 pm

Asia has more money anyway, and tends to treat Russia with more respect than most of europe

Dangerous proposition. Part of the reason of Russ-China partnership is prevent Asian hegemony in 21st century.

Russia still maintains all the HELL of its currency reserves in Euro.

This factor also takes into account that Russia does not trust Asian banking and creeping Asian Power.

Hence as Russia does not have human resources to excel in many consumer industries, it has sided with China to compensate for

the huge loss of working man power.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun May 12, 2013 11:47 am

There is plenty of potential man power in Russia, and with lots of work there the population will start to grow and it will solve itself.

Having a job and good job prospects provides the stability needed to have children...
    Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Sun May 12, 2013 1:36 pm

GarryB wrote:There is plenty of potential man power in Russia, and with lots of work there the population will start to grow and it will solve itself.

Having a job and good job prospects provides the stability needed to have children...
    There is nothing unique about Russian population. In developed countries birth rates drop significantly but there a few factors that affected Russia before. collapse of Soviet union and mass emigration.
    For example young people in Moscow want to sort their life and career before starting pumping babies. Advanced and heavy industry does not require big population and Russia should excel by skill and not the numbers. Russia should be more worried about quality than quantity. Russian engineers, scientist are well known
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Mon May 13, 2013 11:38 am

Smile
    Agree with everything you just said Regular.

The same people pumping out the sky is falling for Russia crap are the ones pushing the... there will be no one left there soon rubbish.
    coolieno99
    coolieno99

Post  coolieno99 Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:03 am

Peace Mission 2013

coolieno99
    coolieno99

Post  coolieno99 Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:41 am

Russian Air Force official inspecting J-10 aircraft.

Sino-Russian relations and trade - Page 2 8U2TyyU
    Viktor
    Viktor

Sino-Russian relations and trade - Page 2 Empty Russia China relations

Post  Viktor Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:58 am

Never been better throughout their history and advancing at fast pace

Putin to visit China twice this year

Russian, Chinese Leaders to Meet Five Times in 2014
    macedonian
    macedonian

Post  macedonian Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:11 am

Very interesting (to say the least).
    Cooperation between Russia and China must be the FIRST thing that scares the living daylights out of the "democracy installing" engineers.
    I'm sure they'll try their divide et impera tactics in this case as well, but it's now up to the leadership in both China and Russia to be smart.

And so far they've proven to be just that:

РИА Новости

Time will tell what follows next, but there are certainly interesting times ahead.
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:52 pm

Apparently Putin and the Chinese comrades (including Jinping) shared a drink of vodka at Putin's 61st birthday which he celebrated at the APEC summit in Bali.

Good times  Cool

Last edited by flamming_python on Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:29 am

I for one am glad to see this.

Nothing the US would like more than to see Russia fighting with China or China fighting with India... it would suit their agenda.
    collegeboy16
    collegeboy16

Post  collegeboy16 Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:12 am

ditto for me, russia would benefit a lot as the middleman between china and india. If these 2 countries grow strong, russia's position would be even more important as it would be the one to tip the scale if ever something bad happens.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:32 am

The US fears rivals more than communism or Islamic wahhabists or drugs or crime.

A strong India, a strong China, a strong Russia, even a strong EU are things the US wants to divide and conquer.

The US seems to think the world needs one strong power... the US thinks the world needs the US to be that one strong power.

Personally I think lots of strong countries are better... the more voices heard the better.

I love the BRICSA concept but would hate to see it turn into a G8 or G20 rich mans club that works to promote those rich countries and increase their wealth.

I would prefer to see BRICSA help other countries get stronger with free open trade and economic aide and development so those countries can join BRICSA too.

The west has had plenty of time to help poorer countries but it seems to me that the west fears everyone else with money the same way they fear everyone else with nuclear weapons.

The west has had nukes for a long time and the US is the only country in the world that has used nuclear weapons in anger, yet it is other countries we should not trust with such technology...
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:50 pm

i think China isn't such a reliable partner/ally as India. The past has shown differences and clashes with russia
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:15 am

Borders are lines on maps and are subject to dispute from time to time.

Many are placed on maps arbitrarily and take little account of what is actually there.

Often the reality on the ground requires a revision or two.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:19 am

Russian Foreign Minister to visit Beijing for talks with Chinese top-rank officials

Russia’s Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov is expected to visit China Tuesday for talks with President Xi Jinping and Foreign Minister Wang Yi. He will also visit the Secretariat of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO), with the SCO Secretary General, Dmitry Mezentsev, accompanying him. Sources at the Russian Foreign Ministry told Itar-Tass earlier Minister Lavrov and his Chinese hosts will discuss preparations for President Vladimir Putin’s visit of China later this year and the situation in Ukraine.

"Apart from a detailed discussion of preparations for the Russian President’s visit, the sides will consider a schedule of other important bilateral contacts," the Foreign Ministry spokespeople said.

In the autumn, Chinese Prime Minister Li Keqiang is due to visit Russia. A nineteenth regular meeting of the two countries’ Prime Ministers will be take place as part of the visit.

"Russian and Chinese Foreign Ministers will pay attention to cooperation on the international scene, as both Russia and China speak in favor of a just and democratic world order based on collective approaches, equitability, and commonly recognized norms and principles and principles of international law," a spokesman said.

"Given the current situation, the sides confirm understanding and respect for each other’s key interests, thus showing a non-timeserving character of Russian-Chinese relations," he said.

"Sergei Lavrov and Wang Yi will hold a detailed exchange of opinions on a broad spectrum of global and regional problems, including the situation in Syria and Afghanistan and will also take a look at the situation around Iran’s nuclear programs and developments on the Korean Peninsula," he said, adding that Russia and China have similar or identical approaches to the bulk of international problems and they hope to continue coordinating their foreign policy efforts in the closest possible manner.
    Read more: http://voiceofrussia.com/news/2014_04_15/Russian-Foreign-Minister-to-visit-Beijing-for-talks-with-Chinese-top-rank-officials-4876/
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:22 am

George1 wrote:i think China isn't such a reliable partner/ally as India. The past has shown differences and clashes with russia

If we go by recent memory which powerful country outspokenly opposed ABM base proliferation on Russia's borders, and which country sent a warship to help Russia block an attempt by NATO to attack Syria? After you answer those questions, ask yourself this question...Is the geo-political landscape from the 1970's (where Russia and China were at odds) the same? Is Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Georgia, Hungary, Czech/Slovak Rep., Bulgaria, Yugoslav states still close military allies with Russia? If not, then would it be a smart idea to make enemies when it's not needed? Besides when the Chinese are so dependent on Russian engines for their jets fighters, it makes you wonder why people are so quick to label them and enemy of Russia.

The fact that they buy so many Russian jet engines means it's a sign of good-will and trust, and it also means that Russia has in-depth knowledge of the capabilities of Chinese jet fighters, and it means that if relations break-down than the spares and parts supply will be cut off...does that sound like a strategy of a country ready to pounce and take over Eastern Siberia?
    macedonian
    macedonian

Post  macedonian Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:26 am

^^^

Not only that, but remember that China joined Russia in an attempt to prevent the NATO bombardment of Serbia.
    And suffered consequences for it (the accidental Embassy bombing).
    Same goes for Libya, Syria etc.
    China is a good and reliable partner, there's no doubt about that.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:43 am

magnumcromagnon wrote:
    George1 wrote:i think China isn't such a reliable partner/ally as India. The past has shown differences and clashes with russia

If we go by recent memory which powerful country outspokenly opposed ABM base proliferation on Russia's borders, and which country sent a warship to help Russia block an attempt by NATO to attack Syria? After you answer those questions, ask yourself this question...Is the geo-political landscape from the 1970's (where Russia and China were at odds) the same? Is Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Georgia, Hungary, Czech/Slovak Rep., Bulgaria, Yugoslav states still close military allies with Russia? If not, then would it be a smart idea to make enemies when it's not needed? Besides when the Chinese are so dependent on Russian engines for their jets fighters, it makes you wonder why people are so quick to label them and enemy of Russia.

The fact that they buy so many Russian jet engines means it's a sign of good-will and trust, and it also means that Russia has in-depth knowledge of the capabilities of Chinese jet fighters, and it means that if relations break-down than the spares and parts supply will be cut off...does that sound like a strategy of a country ready to pounce and take over Eastern Siberia?

Dont forget that china has tremendous needs for energy and for this reason they always have their "aim" in siberia..

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:42 pm