Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+45
GarryB
max steel
OminousSpudd
kvs
fragmachine
Vann7
A Different Voice
TheArmenian
magnumcromagnon
Austin
higurashihougi
Rmf
Hannibal Barca
Godric
AlfaT8
Kimppis
Walther von Oldenburg
mutantsushi
Nikander
Book.
NationalRus
KomissarBojanchev
Cowboy's daughter
PapaDragon
Dforce
George1
Firebird
Regular
bmtppk
zg18
Maximmmm
Karl Haushofer
victor1985
medo
KoTeMoRe
franco
Viktor
Werewolf
Project Canada
Prince Darling
Svyatoslavich
flamming_python
par far
Neutrality
JohninMK
49 posters

Russian Economy General News: #5

Austin

Russian Economy General News: #5 - Page 21 Empty russian economy

Post  Austin Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:14 am

3 Ways to Measure Sovereign Debt

Russian Economy General News: #5 - Page 21 Debt%20to%20revenue-visualization_0
    kvs
    kvs

Russian Economy General News: #5 - Page 21 Empty Russian Economy General News: #2

Post  kvs Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:41 pm

sepheronx wrote:Carnegie? really?

Well, lets see, where are their figures from?  Did you write those figures themselves?  I don't see anything regarding of where their data comes form.  And then it goes into contradiction of what has been said many times before, with evidence through other groups and I believe even official data.

http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.PETR.RT.ZS

According to the world bank, in 2013, it accounted as 14% of Russia's GDP.  This has been posted on the Gas and oil dependency thread.  

So who are you going to believe?  An official group like world bank, which is backed up by the awara group: http://www.awaragroup.com/putin-2000-2014-midterm-interim-results/

or

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnegie_Group

A group that clearly has an agenda?

The Carnegie piece admits the 14% primary size of the oil and gas sector but then goes on to fluff this number up by
    trying to trace every dollar/ruble downstream.   This is not a recognized GDP accounting procedure.   And if we are going
    to be so concerned by Russia's "dependence" on oil and gas, then what about Canada and Australia?   They are resource
    exporters too.  But I don't see any western "analyst" trying to attribute every part of their GDP to their resource export
    sectors.

Also, Carnegie and the rest of the anti-Russian clown outfits are confused about basic economics.   As long as Russian
    companies can extract oil and gas for sufficiently less than they can sell it, then they have no reason to quit.   They
    will be providing jobs and GDP contribution.    The oil and gas sector does not crowd out other industries and in fact has
    been a boost to their development over the last 15 years.   This is another reason that its existence makes Russia
    haters pop veins.  

The only question that Russia has to be concerned about is whether the other sectors of its economy are developing.  They
    are developing.   The 10% size of the IT sector affirms this fact.
    Austin

Russian Economy General News: #5 - Page 21 Empty Re: Russian Economy General News: #5

Post  Austin Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:53 pm

Good Stuff from Peter Schiff

sepheronx
    sepheronx

Russian Economy General News: #5 - Page 21 Empty Russian Economy General News: #2

Post  sepheronx Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:38 pm

kvs wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:Carnegie? really?

Well, lets see, where are their figures from?  Did you write those figures themselves?  I don't see anything regarding of where their data comes form.  And then it goes into contradiction of what has been said many times before, with evidence through other groups and I believe even official data.

http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.PETR.RT.ZS

According to the world bank, in 2013, it accounted as 14% of Russia's GDP.  This has been posted on the Gas and oil dependency thread.  

So who are you going to believe?  An official group like world bank, which is backed up by the awara group: http://www.awaragroup.com/putin-2000-2014-midterm-interim-results/

or

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnegie_Group

A group that clearly has an agenda?

The Carnegie piece admits the 14% primary size of the oil and gas sector but then goes on to fluff this number up by
    trying to trace every dollar/ruble downstream.   This is not a recognized GDP accounting procedure.   And if we are going
    to be so concerned by Russia's "dependence" on oil and gas, then what about Canada and Australia?   They are resource
    exporters too.  But I don't see any western "analyst" trying to attribute every part of their GDP to their resource export
    sectors.

Also, Carnegie and the rest of the anti-Russian clown outfits are confused about basic economics.   As long as Russian
    companies can extract oil and gas for sufficiently less than they can sell it, then they have no reason to quit.   They
    will be providing jobs and GDP contribution.    The oil and gas sector does not crowd out other industries and in fact has
    been a boost to their development over the last 15 years.   This is another reason that its existence makes Russia
    haters pop veins.  

The only question that Russia has to be concerned about is whether the other sectors of its economy are developing.  They
    are developing.   The 10% size of the IT sector affirms this fact.

Well, if they talk about things like the petrol, ceramics, composites, plastics whatever industries, then they need to be applied everywhere rather than just Russia. Yes, industries like petrol are making a killing thus helping prop up the economy as well as exports, but that is just another source beyond just "oil and gas". I guess what Carnegie failed to realize is that in this case, oil and gas are such high importance for the world. Even if we remove oil and gas, most of those products Russia can still create with alternatives and would still prop up its economy (probably even more since it would be more costly to produce thus end product will be costly) and the GDP would still decrease by 14%, but then alternatives in the economy would slowly (or quickly) replace that lost amount.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Russian Economy General News: #5 - Page 21 Empty Re: Russian Economy General News: #5

Post  sepheronx Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:01 am

http://www.presstv.com/Detail/2015/09/26/430872/Iran-ready-to-export-oil-LNG-to-Poland

So Iran is nothing but a scoundrel of a country? Cause after sanctions are lifted, they are interested in moving into Russia's territory. And if the rumors are true they are not interested in Russian equipment/planes, then I have a feeling Russia got played by Iran to get sanctions lifted and jumped ship.
    Karl Haushofer

Post  Karl Haushofer Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:24 am

sepheronx wrote:http://www.presstv.com/Detail/2015/09/26/430872/Iran-ready-to-export-oil-LNG-to-Poland

So Iran is nothing but a scoundrel of a country?  Cause after sanctions are lifted, they are interested in moving into Russia's territory.  And if the rumors are true they are not interested in Russian equipment/planes, then I have a feeling Russia got played by Iran to get sanctions lifted and jumped ship.

To be fair Russia has also double-crossed Iran by not going through with the S-300 sale even after Iran had paid for it.
    ExBeobachter1987
    ExBeobachter1987

Post  ExBeobachter1987 Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:13 pm

Karl Haushofer wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:http://www.presstv.com/Detail/2015/09/26/430872/Iran-ready-to-export-oil-LNG-to-Poland

So Iran is nothing but a scoundrel of a country?  Cause after sanctions are lifted, they are interested in moving into Russia's territory.  And if the rumors are true they are not interested in Russian equipment/planes, then I have a feeling Russia got played by Iran to get sanctions lifted and jumped ship.

To be fair Russia has also double-crossed Iran by not going through with the S-300 sale even after Iran had paid for it.

And now Russia cooperates with the GCC states.
    If you consider Poland Russia's enemy, Iranians have a lot of reasons to consider the GCC states enemies of the Iran.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:49 pm

Karl Haushofer wrote:

And yet the west has done significantly more harm to Iran than that lack of S-300 sale that is being still kept as "it will happen".

ExBeobachter1987 wrote:
    Karl Haushofer wrote:

If you consider Poland Russia's enemy, Iranians have a lot of reasons to consider the GCC states enemies of the Iran.

Hardly. Only one is Egypt and I never heard Egypt threaten Iran.
    ExBeobachter1987
    ExBeobachter1987

Post  ExBeobachter1987 Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:08 pm

sepheronx wrote:And yet the west has done significantly more harm to Iran than that lack of S-300 sale that is being still kept as "it will happen".

Not in recent times. The UN sanctions against Iran were also backed by Russia.

ExBeobachter1987 wrote:Hardly.  Only one is Egypt and I never heard Egypt threaten Iran.

You must have missed this or that Russia is a supplier of GCC militaries, the same ones that are trying to crush Iran-friendly forces in Yemen.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:19 pm

sepheronx wrote:
    Karl Haushofer wrote:

And yet the west has done significantly more harm to Iran than that lack of S-300 sale that is being still kept as "it will happen".

ExBeobachter1987 wrote:
    Karl Haushofer wrote:

Hardly.  Only one is Egypt and I never heard Egypt threaten Iran.

To bad Ahmadinejad isn't the leader of Iran anymore. That man had more courage and brains.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:31 pm

ExBeobachter1987 wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:And yet the west has done significantly more harm to Iran than that lack of S-300 sale that is being still kept as "it will happen".

ExBeobachter1987 wrote:Hardly.  Only one is Egypt and I never heard Egypt threaten Iran.

You must have missed this or that Russia is a supplier of GCC militaries, the same ones that are trying to crush Iran-friendly forces in Yemen.

Selling nuclear power plants for energy use isnt the same. Add to that, Germany, US, UK and alike have no problem selling weapons like Tanks, aircrafts and what not to Saudi Arabia. And these are the nations Iran is giddy over to work with.
    ExBeobachter1987
    ExBeobachter1987

Post  ExBeobachter1987 Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:46 pm

sepheronx wrote:Selling nuclear power plants for energy use isnt the same.

When Iran got nuclear power plants for energy, it ended up being hit by sanctions and Russia backed them.
    It is a serious issue.

sepheronx wrote:Add to that, Germany, US, UK and alike have no problem selling weapons like Tanks, aircrafts and what not to Saudi Arabia. And these are the nations Iran is giddy over to work with.

They are not better, but they can offer the Iran more. That's the difference.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:53 pm

That said, someone mentioned that the amount of money ($21b) was never contested but only SSJ-100. And that there was a lease agreement with iran for 2 ssj's. As well, there was supposedly deals for Il-98-90md's and other stuff. So maybe there is some sort of deals between them.

But I also remember Iran stating they were not gonna impose on Russias market but are doing so anyway. Got many people talking on Presstv comments asking why Iran is eager to dance with the devil.

I guess it is a wait and see and I may have jumped conclusions too quickly.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:55 pm

ExBeobachter1987 wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:Selling nuclear power plants for energy use isnt the same.

When Iran got nuclear power plants for energy, it ended up being hit by sanctions and Russia backed them.
    It is a serious issue.

sepheronx wrote:Add to that, Germany, US, UK and alike have no problem selling weapons like Tanks, aircrafts and what not to Saudi Arabia. And these are the nations Iran is giddy over to work with.

They are not better, but they can offer the Iran more. That's the difference.

They were sanctioned from military goods. Russia still dealt in civil. EU and US did not.

And pray tell, what can they offer that Russia and China cant? Only long range wide body aircraft maybe.

If it comes down to this, then maybe it would have been in Russias interest to keep sanctions on Iran going.
    higurashihougi
    higurashihougi

Post  higurashihougi Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:57 pm

ExBeobachter1987 wrote:You must have missed this or that Russia is a supplier of GCC militaries, the same ones that are trying to crush Iran-friendly forces in Yemen.

So ? Business is business and if they have money, I have the goods, then I will sell it to them.

It's not like Russia do it for free, and it's not like Russia has any diplomatic problems with Saudi.

Deal with it. Western countries also sell weapons to countries which have political system that they don't like, for example... Vietnam.

Off topic, but as far as I know, the countries who supplied titanium parts for SR-71 is... the Soviet Union.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:05 pm

Germany sold leopard 2 tanks to Saudi Arabia. French with Leclerks, US nearly everything else. And are killing shias in Yemen as we speak. But hey, that is A OK for this guy on the boards here but oh no! Big bad Russia barred sale of S-300 Iran so it is only logical for them to jump to the people who threatened them continuously, try to starve them out, fund their enemies directly, etc etc for so long.
    Karl Haushofer

Post  Karl Haushofer Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:42 pm

sepheronx wrote:
    ExBeobachter1987 wrote:

Selling nuclear power plants for energy use isnt the same. Add to that, Germany, US, UK and alike have no problem selling weapons like Tanks, aircrafts and what not to Saudi Arabia. And these are the nations Iran is giddy over to work with.

You could say that Russia building a nuclear PP in Saudi Arabia frees more Saudi oil for export and thus gives the Saudis more money to invest into their military and fund religious terrorists which makes them a bigger threat to Iran (and for Russia as well). Russia-Saudi cooperation might not be a direct threat to Iran but it threatens them indirectly.

I don't see Iran selling gas to Poland a big deal. Iran has to look after it's own interests first. I doubt Russia would opt out of a good business opportunity to please Iran either. Russia and Iran still have a lot of common interests and they would work with them.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:09 pm

And that would be an indirect consequence compared to Germany, France and other selling actual weapons meant to kill people. Lol. You guys mental gymnastics are hilarious.

Anyway, you are right that both are looking for self interests. So screw Iran. Sell what you can to them and Irans enemies. I mean, Russia needs to look after self interests.
    ExBeobachter1987
    ExBeobachter1987

Post  ExBeobachter1987 Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:20 pm

sepheronx wrote:Anyway, you are right that both are looking for self interests. So screw Iran. Sell what you can to them and Irans enemies. I mean, Russia needs to look after self interests.

Russia is doing that all the time.
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:43 pm

sepheronx wrote:That said, someone mentioned that the amount of money ($21b) was never contested but only SSJ-100. And that there was a lease agreement with iran for 2 ssj's.  As well, there was supposedly deals for Il-98-90md's and other stuff. So maybe there is some sort of deals between them.

But I also remember Iran stating they were not gonna impose on Russias market but are doing so anyway.  Got many people talking on Presstv comments asking why Iran is eager to dance with the devil.

I guess it is a wait and see and I may have jumped conclusions too quickly.
    Iran is going to dance with the devil because it desperately needs lots of money. Once sanctions are off then they will need money to bribe the population (medicines, iPads etc) to make it feel like it has achieved something plus money to rebuild their oil infrastructure. It is highly unlikely that the money that is currently frozen in accounts all over the world will suffice and some of it may have been stolen, sorry borrowed, so it might be a while getting through to Tehran.

So expect major contracts with no financial upfront payment, like oil infrastructure in exchange for oil rights, with big Western companies. A few of these will also probably increase the chance of Iran getting all its money back.

But, if Tehran allows a branch of Goldman Sachs to open then we will know they have sold out.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:11 pm

I know I have read that Russias lukoil is pushing to Irans market. There is a chance that Lukoil could get contracts for Irans various fields and petrol plant construction.

I paetially blame Russia for being less aggressive in terms of business.

Rumor still stands though on the $21B contract but we are not sure if ssj-100 involved or not.
    higurashihougi
    higurashihougi

Post  higurashihougi Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:27 pm

http://www.rt.com/politics/316725-lawmakers-seek-to-impede-foreign/

Lawmakers seek to impede foreign trips for bad debtors

Leftist MPs are urging the government to raise the minimum personal debt that can cause citizens to be banned from leaving the Russian Federation, claiming that last year’s inflation has made the current threshold "insubstantial."

“Over the past 18 months the Russian ruble has lost half of its value against foreign currencies and the official inflation has gone over 20 percent. It would be a far stretch if someone now calls 10,000 rubles a substantial sum of money. Now it makes just a few parking fines and the guilty citizen can be simply unaware of them,” the author of the bill, MP Andrey Krutov (Fair Russia) said in comments with popular daily Izvestia.

“It would be logical to raise the minimum threshold of debt from which court bailiffs can restrict the debtors’ trips to foreign nations,” he added.

Currently, Russian law allows bailiffs to temporarily close the border for citizens who have over 10,000 rubles (about $155) of unpaid fines or overdue debts, including utilities or child support payments. Krutov wants to raise this limit top 20,000 roubles (about $300). If the debtor persists in his or her habit of non-paying the dues, the court can make the exit ban permanent.
    Project Canada

Post  Project Canada Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:26 am

Russia admits lack of technologies for offshore oil production

The Russian government has announced that it is seeking to source equipment for offshore oil production from new countries due to the impact of sanctions by the European Union and the United States. However, as experts note, the development of Arctic fields is being hindered by low oil prices.

Russia’s Deputy Prime Minister Alexander Khloponin has admitted that Moscow was too slow to find alternative supplies of equipment for offshore oil production and needs cooperation with other countries that have experience in this area, the Interfax news agency has reported.
    Due to the sanctions imposed to punish Moscow for its role in the Ukraine conflict, Russia's traditional partners – the U.S. and European companies – are prohibited from providing services to exploration and production on the Russian shelf at a depth of over 150 meters.
    However, Khloponin said on Sept. 22, there are many countries with experience in offshore drilling that have not imposed sanctions on Russia. According to the forecast of the Ministry of Energy, by 2035, Russia will produce a total of 50 million tons of oil on the shelf, i.e. 9.5 percent of total production.
    "The development of offshore fields has been stalled not only by sanctions, but also by a sharp drop in oil prices. With the current state of the energy market, expensive development in the Arctic is simply unprofitable," said Ilya Buturlin, managing director of trust management company Hedge.pro.

Main causes
    The problem of carrying out the so-called “import substitution” of equipment for offshore drilling emerged in 2014, when the U.S. and the EU banned imports of technology for use in Russian Arctic projects.
    By that time, Russia's largest oil company Rosneft and the American ExxonMobil had discovered the Pobeda oil field in the Kara Sea and drilled a well, but after the introduction of sanctions foreign partners had to suspend their participation in the project.
    "Offshore drilling equipment has been never produced or even designed in Russia," says Freedom Finance Investment Company's head of operations in the Russian stock market Georgy Vashchenko.
    "For its production and use to be economically viable compared to imports, it must be produced in large quantities, including for deliveries abroad."
    According to Vashchenko, only three customers can provide the demand for the equipment in Russia at the moment – Rosneft, the gas monopoly Gazprom and the private company Lukoil, which produces oil on the shelf of the Caspian Sea.

http://rbth.com/business/2015/09/28/russia_admits_lack_of_technologies_for_offshore_oil_production_49605.html

I think import substitution should still be pursued despite it not being economically viable because if not then Russia will always be at the mercy of her enemies whenever they decide to starve Russia of important technologies such as in offshore oil production
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:28 am

Well, I already posted links about Russias drilling technology already produced.  So either this guy is lying or is trying to cheap out.  As long as there is a demand, there will be production. I think he is trying to cheap out, hence why he is pushing for joint ventures. Which is not wrong to do. But offshore drilling technology isn't anything too advanced and Russia already substituted US drilling: http://rusnews.net63.net/2015/09/23/who-said-russia-doesnt-create-its-own-drilling-rigs/

Last edited by sepheronx on Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total
    Project Canada

Post  Project Canada Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:29 am

Rumor still stands though on the $21B contract but we are not sure if ssj-100 involved or not.

I read on RT that the deal involves ssj-100s, im not sure why a source from the Iranian side denied this Question

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:32 am