Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+59
Strizh
x_54_u43
Kimppis
Rodinazombie
Project Canada
Bolt
Cucumber Khan
Siempre_Leal
OminousSpudd
Heartbeer
Monarchist
Cyberspec
Walther von Oldenburg
Stealthflanker
Algerian Major
VARGR198
Akula971
Zivo
marat
victor1985
zorobabel
Prince Darling
NationalRus
Manov
franco
Morpheus Eberhardt
Neutrality
ult
Book.
GarryB
d_taddei2
mack8
ultron
Shadåw
higurashihougi
ExBeobachter1987
Dima
Flyboy77
Vann7
iraqidabab
TheArmenian
max steel
flamming_python
Werewolf
Solncepek
medo
zg18
ShahryarHedayatiSHBA
Max Italy
par far
magnumcromagnon
sepheronx
KoTeMoRe
Khepesh
PapaDragon
JohninMK
mutantsushi
George1
HUNTER VZLA
63 posters

Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #1

PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #1 - Page 29 Empty Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #1

Post  PapaDragon Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:49 pm

Russian Offensive in Turkey Part of Fight Against Terrorism in Middle East

Russia’s decision to use its military forces in Syria coincides with both countries’ security interests in the region, Turkish diplomat Onur Oymen told Sputnik Turkey.

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/middleeast/20151001/1027865769/russian-offensive-against-isil-serves-all-countries-interests.html#ixzz3nKsa0nSl
    Solncepek
    Solncepek

Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #1 - Page 29 Empty Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #1

Post  Solncepek Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:49 pm

sepheronx wrote:Curious then: what are Russias assets besides jets, if anything capable to detect and track aircrafts, are in Syria? If not, I assume they are using radar from aur defense systems and syrian military assets?

Until now on syrian ground are confirmed:
    SA-15 Tor and
    SA-22 Pantsir-S1
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:51 pm

Akula971 wrote:
    magnumcromagnon wrote:
    Cucumber Khan wrote:
    magnumcromagnon wrote:Some people are eating humble pie with egg on their face now that Russia is conducting airstrikes, and delivering S-300's, and not just Ultron, others too! *not mentioning any names*

Really, S-300? What sources do you have for that?

From several pages earlier in the thread:

Akula971 wrote:I dont mean to jump to any conclusion here guys but i just came across this article suggesting S300 / S400s are already in Syria. I am not 100% sure but i will post it.

Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #1 - Page 29 0_13e342_9cb792c4_XL

The system does look like a S300

Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #1 - Page 29 S-300pmu-battery-ll

My question is - Did Iran get its S300s delivered already ?

The article claims a lot of other things too but I am not sure.

Article :
    http://norg-norg.livejournal.com/118387.html

If anyone read my other posts op the ones i posted after that - The SOURCE was an America Twitter handle. NOT RELIABLE AT ALL.

But it's plausible enough to be true, and if the Russian's want to operate any strategic airbases in Syria with high-valued equipment, then it would make sense for the Russian's to want to be able and capable enough to seriously defend it. There's also VVS doctrine of maintaining powerful SAM batteries, in which S-300PMU-2 operationally would fall under that branch of the Russian military, which the Syrian's had already ordered anyway, plus there's already Pantsir's in Syria to defend the SAM batteries.
    ult

Post  ult Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:56 pm

Video Su-34's landing after the mission.

http://tvzvezda.ru/news/vstrane_i_mire/content/201510011940-tmc8.htm

Post  Guest Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:57 pm

sepheronx wrote:Curious then: what are Russias assets besides jets, if anything capable to detect and track aircrafts, are in Syria? If not, I assume they are using radar from aur defense systems and syrian military assets?

"Moscow is sending an advanced anti-aircraft missile system to Syria, two Western officials and a Russian source said, as part of what the West believes is stepped-up military support for embattled President Bashar al-Assad. The Western officials said the SA-22 system would be operated by Russian troops, rather than Syrians. The system was on its way to Syria but had not yet arrived. "This system is the advanced version used by Russia and it's meant to be operated by Russians in Syria," said one of the sources, a Western diplomat who is regularly briefed on U.S., Israeli and other intelligence assessments.

Two U.S. officials separately confirmed the information. The second U.S. official said the United States had indications that, although the entire system had not arrived, some control system components for the SA-22 had been positioned at an airfield near Latakia, an Assad stronghold. The second U.S. official said the system may be part of a Russian effort to bolster defenses at the airfield. The Russian source, who is close to the Russian navy, said the delivery would not be the first time Moscow had sent the SA-22 system, known as Pantsir-S1 in Russian, to Syria. It had been sent in 2013, the source said.

"There are plans now to send a new set," the source said, without detailing how far along the process was. However, the Western diplomat said the version of the SA-22 on its way to Syria was newer than previous missile systems deployed there."
    - Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/09/11/us-mideast-crisis-syria-arms-idUSKCN0RB1Q020150911 from quite some time ago.

We know they installed stationary control radar on Latakia Assad airport and that they got additional Pancir S apparently in Syria. I guess that they put some of their men in Air Defence command of Syrian armed forces... We havent seen any photos of other radars or equipment except that quite unconfirmed photo of S300PMU set.

Last edited by Militarov on Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:58 pm

Solncepek wrote:

SA-15 Tor and
    SA-22 Pantsir-S1

These are Russian assets? Strange on using two short range AD systems. I guess pantsir to knock out cruise missiles and aircraft while tor concentrates more on anti pgm.

This could also be a good opportunity to use new systems in this, to test them out. Buk-M3 and Su-34 with various pgm's and electronic warfare equipment.
    ult

Post  ult Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:11 pm

ult wrote:Video Su-34's landing after the mission.

Youtube mirror:

Solncepek
    Solncepek

Post  Solncepek Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:16 pm

Stratfor :

Global news media are buzzing with reports about Russia's first official airstrikes in Syria and the U.S. response to them. To understand the impact of these actions, however, we need to explore Russia's objectives in Syria rather than the airstrikes themselves. Russia's decision to go after rebels other than the Islamic State in its first foray was a bold message, but it was just one phrase in a much broader geopolitical communication between Russia and the rest of the world.

The U.S. administration has focused on the fact that Russia's airstrikes did not target the Islamic State and is spinning a response that paints the Russian activity in a negative light. Diplomatic communications between Washington and Moscow have become more frequent. U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry and his Russian counterpart, Sergei Lavrov, had multiple meetings Wednesday (though Kerry slighted Lavrov by showing up two hours late to the U.N. Security Council meeting, missing Lavrov's remarks).
    What is a Geopolitical Diary?

Although the rebel groups Russia targeted are small and not very prominent, the targeted location near Homs puts the Russian airstrikes clearly out of the scope of operations against the Islamic State. Russia never said it would limit its strikes to the Islamic State; the Russian Federation Council's approval for the strikes didn't even specify Syria as the theater for Russian operations.

Stratfor has made the point that targeting other rebel groups would be unavoidable for Russia as it tries to achieve its objectives in Syria. Those objectives are at the core of Wednesday's events. Russia has a wide spectrum of goals it is trying to achieve in Syria and elsewhere in the Middle East. Support for Syrian President Bashar al Assad's government in Damascus is one element within the broader strategy. One of the reasons Russia is propping up al Assad and using its air assets to suppress rebel activities against loyalist forces is to set the stage for negotiations to take place.

Yet another objective extends this interest into the wider region. Russia's position in the Middle East has weakened, particularly with Iran and the United States reaching a nuclear deal. Guaranteeing the survival of the Syrian Alawite government, whether under al Assad or a replacement, enables Russia to protect its connection to that Alawite portion of Syria. It also rekindles greater Iranian-Russian cooperation over Syria.

Beyond the Middle East, Russia is trying to paint itself as a global leader — an international actor that takes responsibility and is able to stare the United States down instead of bowing to it. The airstrikes' target set clearly makes that point, and the U.S. reaction confirms the effect. Russia established its unilateral actions and set itself apart from the United States and its Arab and NATO partners. Moscow played this out even further by making the point that Russia is the only country acting on behalf of the legitimate government of Syria and thus abiding by international law. By Russia's reasoning, the coalition conducting strikes against the Islamic State in Syria, led by the United States, is an aggressor.

So far, Russia seems on track to meet most of its objectives, and its operations look like they will benefit al Assad and give Russia a seat at the table in both regional and international talks on resolving the Syrian conflict. Moreover, Russia is clearly showing its capability as a global leader counter to the United States. This last achievement, however, creates a serious barrier to another objective that Russia was trying to complete through its actions in Syria. Russians are chess players, and they don't stare at just one section of the board; Russia's actions in Syria relate just as much to the Russia-West standoff over Ukraine as they do to the Middle East.

Russia has been playing incredibly nice in Ukraine in recent weeks and has kept the rebels in check. Both on the battlefield and in negotiations, the Ukrainian separatists have offered compromise to Kiev. Russia was trying to influence this situation through its actions in Syria and thought that by forcing communications with the United States on military activity in Syria it would also be able to discuss military activity in Ukraine. Washington has categorically rejected the possibility of using the dialogue on Syria to segue into the United States easing up on its support for Kiev. Thus, Russia remains stuck in negotiations with the Europeans over Ukraine while the real threat to Russia in that theater comes from U.S. military support for Kiev and economic sanctions on Russia.
    Facebook Twitter Google+ LinkedIn
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:20 pm

Rodinazombie wrote:

To add another question to yours, what assets do russia have there to recover any downed airmen should the worst happen? The nightmare scenario of seeing a russian pilot taken by those scumbags is a thought that everyone must have considered at some point, so i hope they have a plan for that sitiation.

Ye with little faith...here's something I posted in another thread:

magnumcromagnon wrote:Excellent news, Richag-AV ECM suite designed for helicopters, and developed by KRET, is a very capable system...

1.) ECM is effective against ground targets from 50-200 km away!

2.) Can jam up to 8 targets simultaneously!

3.) ECM is effective against air targets up to 300 km away!

...So with this system you can defeat grounds targets with a ECM sphere that is 400 km in diameter, and for air targets that is 600 km in diameter!

https://www.russiadefence.net/t2461p195-russian-ecm-ew-equipment#121384

Combined with dumb bombs retro-fitted with cheap GLONASS kits to take out IS-SHAM terrorist positions ahead of time, I believe the Russian airmen should be fine. If Russia loses any aircraft in Syria, most likely it will be due to the cause of malfunction.

Post  Guest Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:20 pm

Video from Latakia airbase just before night flights, prep for flights etc.
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:26 pm

sepheronx wrote:
    Solncepek wrote:

SA-15 Tor and
    SA-22 Pantsir-S1

These are Russian assets? Strange on using two short range AD systems. I guess pantsir to knock out cruise missiles and aircraft while tor concentrates more on anti pgm.

This could also be a good opportunity to use new systems in this, to test them out. Buk-M3 and Su-34 with various pgm's and electronic warfare equipment.
    Unless Russia thinks it is going to be defending itself against NATO or the IAF, short range protection makes the point that there is good SAM defence in position.

It also does not antagonise NATO and Israel which the installation of the S-300 might, certainly at this stage. Also if S-300 were to be installed it would probably be done in complete secrecy, which means it may be there already but it is in no-ones interests to publicize the fact.

Post  Guest Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:28 pm

Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #1 - Page 29 CQOjXK-WIAAfJWz

I so love when i am right, as i said yesterday, OFAB-250-270 being used on SU24 in Syria. Moment of loading on bomber.

Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #1 - Page 29 1251650916_f
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #1 - Page 29 Empty Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #1

Post  PapaDragon Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:33 pm

ult wrote:

Youtube mirror:

12 ton payload...someone on the ground had a very bad day just now... Twisted Evil russia

Last edited by PapaDragon on Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post  Guest Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:34 pm

Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #1 - Page 29 HF6xouX

Interesting screenshot from a video: https://www.facebook.com/NRIHAMA/videos/vb.505787406139922/1016040028447988/?type=2&theater

On 0:17 leading SU24 releases some load, which looks to me like two droptanks.
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:35 pm

Militarov wrote:
    I so love when i am right, as i said yesterday, OFAB-250-270 being used on SU24 in Syria. Moment of loading on bomber.

Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #1 - Page 29 1251650916_f
    Interesting weapon. Would ruin anyone's day!

http://www.cat-uxo.com/#/ofab-250-270-bomb/4583666019

Last edited by JohninMK on Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post  Guest Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:35 pm

PapaDragon wrote:
    ult wrote:

Youtube mirror:

12 ton payload...someone on the ground had a very bad day just now... Twisted Evil russia

Taking in count they use OFAB250-270 and FAB500 derivates on single hardpoints i doubt they ever manage to carry more than half of that, even if.
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:38 pm

New thread needed alert.

Militarov, the post limit is 999 here per thread (just in case you did not know)

Post  Guest Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:42 pm

JohninMK wrote:New thread needed alert.

Militarov, the post limit is 999 here per thread (just in case you did not know)

Ah, good to inform me, i did not actually.
    medo
    medo

Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #1 - Page 29 Empty Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #2

Post  medo Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:43 pm

I think they choose bombs, which they use regarding the targets they will engage. Against hardened underground facilities they will use laser guided 1500 kg bombs, against other important targets they will use smaller laser or TV guided bombs, but against smaller targets and groups, those 250 kg and 500 kg free fall bombs will work just fine. I wonder if they have cluster bombs to bomb larger concentrations of terrorists?
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #1 - Page 29 Empty Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #2

Post  magnumcromagnon Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:49 pm

Militarov wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:
    ult wrote:

Youtube mirror:

Taking in count they use OFAB250-270 and FAB500 derivates on single hardpoints i doubt they ever manage to carry more than half of that, even if.

I think GLONASS kits should significantly decrease the need for bigger and greater amounts of ordinance.
    ult

Post  ult Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:06 pm

Some people are saying that it's KAB-500S.

Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #1 - Page 29 AFtKx

Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #1 - Page 29 1251840934_f
    KoTeMoRe
    KoTeMoRe

Post  KoTeMoRe Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:08 pm

magnumcromagnon wrote:
    Militarov wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:
    ult wrote:

Youtube mirror:

I think GLONASS kits should significantly decrease the need for bigger and greater amounts of ordinance.

Looks like this is a KAB500S.
    ult

Post  ult Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:10 pm

Longer video.

It looks like KAB-500S. What do you guys think?

Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #1 - Page 29 Img6848
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:12 pm

George1 please merge this thread with other one.

Post  Guest Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:16 pm

ult wrote:Some people are saying that it's KAB-500S.

Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #1 - Page 29 AFtKx

Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #1 - Page 29 1251840934_f

I belive its FAB 500SE satelite and inertial guided.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:02 pm