Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


+73
kvs
sepheronx
flamming_python
KiloGolf
Hannibal Barca
Godric
Solncepek
George1
Cyberspec
iraqidabab
KoTeMoRe
Dima
Monarchist
zorobabel
Heartbeer
zg18
SturmGuard
franco
d_taddei2
victor1985
OminousSpudd
Kyo
Neutrality
whir
Bidoul
Rodinazombie
Ramos 2
Khepesh
Siempre_Leal
marat
HUNTER VZLA
Arctic_Fox
TheArmenian
ultron
Hachimoto
Regular
ExBeobachter1987
Stealthflanker
Inetwarrior
Geronimo
Flyboy77
PapaDragon
Anas Ali
Fred333
2SPOOKY4U
AK_47
Prince Darling
Walther von Oldenburg
Flagship Victory
Abu Bakr al Bosni
Book.
mutantsushi
Manov
Cucumber Khan
sheytanelkebir
putinboss
jhelb
arpakola
Morpheus Eberhardt
higurashihougi
AlfaT8
mack8
Werewolf
par far
Zivo
olibeira
TR1
Vann7
medo
ShahryarHedayatiSHBA
magnumcromagnon
GarryB
NationalRus
77 posters

    Yemeni Conflict: News

    Book.
    Book.


    Posts : 695
    Points : 752
    Join date : 2015-05-08
    Location : Oregon, USA

    Yemeni Conflict: News - Page 35 Empty Re: Yemeni Conflict: News

    Post  Book. Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:30 am

    Militarov wrote:Yemeni Conflict: News - Page 35 CUrJTW_UkAAynS4

    PGM 500 spotted being used in Yemen, also known as Hakim.

    Look like kab 500 copy
    zorobabel
    zorobabel


    Posts : 412
    Points : 412
    Join date : 2015-09-21

    Yemeni Conflict: News - Page 35 Empty Re: Yemeni Conflict: News

    Post  zorobabel Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:40 am

    The Houthis have reportedly captured a few positions around the Saudi city of Najran.

    Here's a video of them storming a Saudi outpost: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mchEn9bG_Bg

    They began to shell Najran tonight.

    Here's a video of the aftermath of the shelling: https://twitter.com/arbign/status/670667776214867969
    And some images: https://twitter.com/Forsan_UAE/status/670684437227540480
    KoTeMoRe
    KoTeMoRe


    Posts : 4212
    Points : 4227
    Join date : 2015-04-21
    Location : Krankhaus Central.

    Yemeni Conflict: News - Page 35 Empty Re: Yemeni Conflict: News

    Post  KoTeMoRe Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:12 am

    There's one guy fring with what appears to be a Yugo m48 Mauser. I cannot believe my eyes.
    OminousSpudd
    OminousSpudd


    Posts : 933
    Points : 938
    Join date : 2015-01-03
    Location : New Zealand

    Yemeni Conflict: News - Page 35 Empty Re: Yemeni Conflict: News

    Post  OminousSpudd Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:23 am

    KoTeMoRe wrote:There's one guy fring with what appears to be a Yugo m48 Mauser. I cannot believe my eyes.

    Well we've had Mosins and Lee Enfields, so why not Kar98s while we're at it lol.
    avatar
    Guest
    Guest


    Yemeni Conflict: News - Page 35 Empty Re: Yemeni Conflict: News

    Post  Guest Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:24 am

    KoTeMoRe wrote:There's one guy fring with what appears to be a Yugo m48 Mauser. I cannot believe my eyes.

    Yemeni Conflict: News - Page 35 CU7NlnOUYAAIhDQ

    One more museum example, also notice his feet.
    KoTeMoRe
    KoTeMoRe


    Posts : 4212
    Points : 4227
    Join date : 2015-04-21
    Location : Krankhaus Central.

    Yemeni Conflict: News - Page 35 Empty Re: Yemeni Conflict: News

    Post  KoTeMoRe Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:40 am

    No kidding guys, this is really getting out of hand, next thing you know, they'll be storming Jeddah with Crossbows and couleuvrines. Why not in Crusader guise. And yeah militarov, they don't even need flip flops now they're in Mahdi mode.

    And they're attacking with M79 Yugo AT- grenade too. This is a whole other level of Remove Kebab.

    Oh and OSV 96 with POSP 12-50 at the end of the footage. Can't get any better.
    avatar
    Guest
    Guest


    Yemeni Conflict: News - Page 35 Empty Re: Yemeni Conflict: News

    Post  Guest Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:10 am

    KoTeMoRe wrote:No kidding guys, this is really getting out of hand, next thing you know, they'll be storming Jeddah with Crossbows and couleuvrines. Why not in Crusader guise. And yeah militarov, they don't even need flip flops now they're in Mahdi mode.

    And they're attacking with M79 Yugo AT- grenade too. This is a whole other level of Remove Kebab.

    Oh and OSV 96 with POSP 12-50 at the end of the footage. Can't get any better.

    We used dummy rubber M79s to practice grenade throwing, coz they are so easy to throw. Grenades themself are out of service for God knows how long.
    KoTeMoRe
    KoTeMoRe


    Posts : 4212
    Points : 4227
    Join date : 2015-04-21
    Location : Krankhaus Central.

    Yemeni Conflict: News - Page 35 Empty Re: Yemeni Conflict: News

    Post  KoTeMoRe Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:25 am

    What is really amazing is that they seem to have no problems using what ever they have to blow Saudis up. I wanted for long time to know how that managed to haul Dushkas over those kills, well they didn't.

    However the more they release footage, the more we get a very nasty image of the support they receive. It's a bit of everything, some stocks, some "foreign" help, some museum plunders. Not a single complaint and very good job done.
    max steel
    max steel


    Posts : 2934
    Points : 2961
    Join date : 2015-02-12
    Location : South Pole

    Yemeni Conflict: News - Page 35 Empty Re: Yemeni Conflict: News

    Post  max steel Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:17 pm

    In Yemen War, Mercenaries Launched By Blackwater Head Were Spotted Today -- Not Good News


    The United Arab Emirates, as reported in today’s New York Times, has hired foreign mercenaries, from a program launched by Blackwater’s head Erik Prince, and secretly sent them to the fighting in Yemen. This is not a good sign. Blackwater private security alienated Iraqis against the United States. Now the use of foreign mercenaries will signify to the “outs” in the Middle East that the rich will buy guns-for-hire to use against them.

    This program gets laid out in a New York Times piece entitled, “Emirates Secretly Sends Colombian Mercenaries to Yemen Fight.” It explains that this is “the first combat deployment for a foreign army that the Emirates has quietly built in the desert over the past five years.” The Emirates had a brigade of 1,800 soldiers from Latin America which provided 450 troops now arriving in Yemen. It seems there are also going to be hundreds of other foreign mercenaries — Sudanese and Eritrean soldiers — brought into Yemen.

    These can be viewed as a second generation of foreign mercenaries hired by the countries of the Arabian Peninsula. In the first generation, still powerful, in 1975 Saudi Arabia brought in Vinnell Corporation, an American defense contractor, to train the “Saudi Arabian National Guard.” This is a force outside the official Saudi military and the Ministry of Defense (and larger than the Saudi military). Instead, the 75,000 man National Guard reports to the King. This makes its main duty to suppress internal political unrest that challenges the state’s authoritarian structure. Vinnell receives $819 million for its maintaining 1000 employees in Saudi Arabia doing contract work with the National Guard and Royal Air Force.


    The little-known Vinnell is now owned by Northrop Grumman. It has undertaken projects in fifty other countries, including for the United States in the Vietnam War, when it ran secret intelligence programs. Its advantages include giving the Saudis the very top-grade American support without any “official” United States involvement.

    In 2011, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia’s neighbor and ally, was shaken during the Arab Spring by unrest. It has a downtrodden Shia majority ruled over by a Sunni minority. The Saudis sent the Vinnell-trained National Guard in, with other forces, to crush the unrest.


    How will the Emirates mercenaries be perceived in Yemen? Recall how Blackwater was perceived by the Iraqis. The private security was always loathed, much worse than Iraqi feelings about U.S. troops. The Iraqis at least felt U.S. troops, as the U.S. army, were managed by government policy under military discipline. They saw Blackwater as the opposite – able to run wild, and not subject to the controls of an army.

    A Blackwater security detail infamously killed two dozen civilians in Nisur Square in Baghdad in 2006. It took a half-dozen years, but eventually the Blackwater men were convicted for this in federal court. Private security also has a large role helping the U.S. and the Afghan regime in Afghanistan. There is great difficulty striking the balance between a role for them that is limited, and one that antagonizes the locals and takes on tasks that belong to troops.



    Walther von Oldenburg
    Walther von Oldenburg


    Posts : 1327
    Points : 1424
    Join date : 2015-01-23
    Age : 31
    Location : Oldenburg

    Yemeni Conflict: News - Page 35 Empty Re: Yemeni Conflict: News

    Post  Walther von Oldenburg Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:00 pm

    Breaking: Yemeni Army and Houthis seize more Saudi villages and bases: http://www.almasdarnews.com/article/19741/

    Geez, this is almost surrealistic. Cool
    d_taddei2
    d_taddei2


    Posts : 2591
    Points : 2767
    Join date : 2013-05-11
    Location : Scotland UK

    Yemeni Conflict: News - Page 35 Empty reply

    Post  d_taddei2 Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:44 am

    Walther von Oldenburg wrote:Breaking: Yemeni Army and Houthis  seize more Saudi villages and bases: http://www.almasdarnews.com/article/19741/

    Geez, this is almost surrealistic. Cool


    i agree its a real shame these guys aren't fighting in Syria for Assad, Syria would have been liberated by now lol.

    whats people thoughts on the Houthi's moving further into Saudi territory? wise move? I mean shouldn't they be focusing on taking over hadi and ISIS held areas in Yemen? I doubt Saudi is likely to stop there campaign even if they start losing more bases, at this rate Houthi's etc will over stretch themselves, would be better to take over Hadi government areas, if they did this then they might find Saudi would end up giving as there would no more hadi areas left to start a take back ground offensive and hadi would become exiled in saudi. These Houthi's etc, are some fearsome guys, on par with the tough as old boots taliban.


    Last edited by d_taddei2 on Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:47 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : info)
    arpakola
    arpakola


    Posts : 1510
    Points : 1542
    Join date : 2014-03-12
    Age : 54
    Location : Athens

    Yemeni Conflict: News - Page 35 Empty Re: Yemeni Conflict: News

    Post  arpakola Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:14 am

    Colombian mercenaries to fight for Saudi-led Coalition in Yemen!!!
    Saudi Arabia has hired hundreds of former special forces to fight the Yemeni Forces.
    The first group of just under 100 Colombian troops arrived in Yemen earlier Oct/2015.
    The troops were set to arrive in the southern port city of Aden.
    Saudi intervened in Yemen, launching in March 2015.
    Yemeni Conflict: News - Page 35 W351_1448812007169
    JohninMK
    JohninMK


    Posts : 11107
    Points : 11228
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Yemeni Conflict: News - Page 35 Empty Re: Yemeni Conflict: News

    Post  JohninMK Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:59 pm

    d_taddei2 wrote:
    Walther von Oldenburg wrote:Breaking: Yemeni Army and Houthis  seize more Saudi villages and bases: http://www.almasdarnews.com/article/19741/

    Geez, this is almost surrealistic. Cool


    i agree its a real shame these guys aren't fighting in Syria for Assad, Syria would have been liberated by now lol.

    whats people thoughts on the Houthi's moving further into Saudi territory? wise move? I mean shouldn't they be focusing on taking over hadi and ISIS held areas in Yemen? I doubt Saudi is likely to stop there campaign even if they start losing more bases, at this rate Houthi's etc will over stretch themselves, would be better to take over Hadi government areas, if they did this then they might find Saudi would end up giving as there would no more hadi areas left to start a take back ground offensive and hadi would become exiled in saudi. These Houthi's etc, are some fearsome guys, on par with the tough as old boots taliban.
    Apart from the political significance, they might well be 'raiding' these Saudi areas in search of supplies, both food and military.
    Walther von Oldenburg
    Walther von Oldenburg


    Posts : 1327
    Points : 1424
    Join date : 2015-01-23
    Age : 31
    Location : Oldenburg

    Yemeni Conflict: News - Page 35 Empty Re: Yemeni Conflict: News

    Post  Walther von Oldenburg Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:34 pm

    Yemeni Army Launches Massive Assault on a Saudi Border Post

    On Monday evening, security sources in the province of Hajjah confirmed that Yemeni forces have carried out a vicious attack on the border post in Tawwal, known as “Tawwal Land Port”.

    The source told Khabar Agency that fierce clashes took place at the border post between the Yemeni Army and Popular Committees on one hand, and Saudi border guards backed by Royal Saudi Land Force on the other hand.

    He indicated that Saudi military forces responded violently using tanks, artillery, and sniper units, as well as F-16 and Apache helicopters in the battle after Yemeni forces made a rapid advance.

    The battle in Tawwal Port has cost more than 106 casualties since this morning, with at least 7 Saudi troops killed and 85 injured, with an addition of 5 Saudi border guards killed and 9 injured.

    Saudi media claims that dozens were also killed from the Yemeni side.

    The Yemeni source said that the Army and Popular Committees have launched a military operation and described it as “extension” to the southern areas of Saudi Arabia, where it has been experiencing fierce fighting – they have managed to seize many Saudi military positions recently.

    If the strategic border post is taken, Yemenis will have full access to the main border highway route connecting Saudi’s Tawwal and Yemen’s Haradh that ultimately lead to the contested city of Najran
    avatar
    Vann7


    Posts : 5409
    Points : 5513
    Join date : 2012-05-16

    Yemeni Conflict: News - Page 35 Empty Re: Yemeni Conflict: News

    Post  Vann7 Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:11 am


    United States benefits from this , they can continue selling more weapons to Saudi Arabia ,
    the more last the war in yemen.. but the Size of Saudi Arabia makes it impossible to really defeat the regime if supported by Americans with nuclear bombs. a real Big Army will be needed and there is no borders that can serve as supply lines for Yemenis.. What houthis should target instead in Saudi Oil fields ,to stop its business.. that will help Russia oil sales profits Cool
    Walther von Oldenburg
    Walther von Oldenburg


    Posts : 1327
    Points : 1424
    Join date : 2015-01-23
    Age : 31
    Location : Oldenburg

    Yemeni Conflict: News - Page 35 Empty Re: Yemeni Conflict: News

    Post  Walther von Oldenburg Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:20 am

    Not exactly.

    Houthis and Yemeni army are fighting KSA & allies pretty much on their own. Even Iranian help is scarce becausee naval blockade makes it almost impossible to transport supplies. With Iranian help on Syrian scale, Saudis would be running with away

    If Russia pulled off an intervention like the one in Syria (via aircraft stationed in Iran and "Yemeni Express") Houthis could be in Riyadh in 1 month.
    KoTeMoRe
    KoTeMoRe


    Posts : 4212
    Points : 4227
    Join date : 2015-04-21
    Location : Krankhaus Central.

    Yemeni Conflict: News - Page 35 Empty Re: Yemeni Conflict: News

    Post  KoTeMoRe Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:25 am

    Walther von Oldenburg wrote:Not exactly.

    Houthis and Yemeni army are fighting KSA & allies pretty much on their own. Even Iranian help is scarce becausee naval blockade makes it almost impossible to transport supplies. With Iranian help on Syrian scale, Saudis would be running with away. If Russia started "Yemeni Express", Houthis would already be in Riyadh.

    If you've seen what I point out, you'd know that's not exactly true. What is being sent is not TOP Notch. But they have been getting some love.

    Russia can't start something about needs the Yemenis don't need right now. They're into small groups tactics and light infantry. To butthead the Saudis back you'd need tools that the Yemenis can't use without specialist units. Like TOR/BUK. For that, Metis and Tosan/Konkurs are right on the money. HSR's are good too. smal arms ammo and commos are also far more useful. The Saudis are shit at soldering.
    George1
    George1


    Posts : 17724
    Points : 18231
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Yemeni Conflict: News - Page 35 Empty Re: Yemeni Conflict: News

    Post  George1 Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:32 am

    Walther von Oldenburg wrote:Not exactly.

    Houthis and Yemeni army are fighting KSA & allies pretty much on their own. Even Iranian help is scarce becausee naval blockade makes it almost impossible to transport supplies. With Iranian help on Syrian scale, Saudis would be running with away

    If Russia pulled off an intervention like the one in Syria (via aircraft stationed in Iran and "Yemeni Express") Houthis could be in Riyadh in 1 month.

    Russia backs no side in Yemeni conflict
    Walther von Oldenburg
    Walther von Oldenburg


    Posts : 1327
    Points : 1424
    Join date : 2015-01-23
    Age : 31
    Location : Oldenburg

    Yemeni Conflict: News - Page 35 Empty Re: Yemeni Conflict: News

    Post  Walther von Oldenburg Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:37 am

    If Houthis want to hold territory, they need some serious stuff. Platoon-sized firefights from time to time are not going to do much, KSA and Co musst be dragged into a really bloody war - several hundred dead per month - in order to have a draining effect on their armed forces.

    In November Saudis lost:
    - 1x Bradley
    - 2x LAV AG
    - 2X M113
    - 6x Oshkosh M-ATV

    While Emiratis lost 3x Oshkosh M-ATV


    These aren't very heavy losses.
    avatar
    iraqidabab


    Posts : 316
    Points : 331
    Join date : 2014-05-31

    Yemeni Conflict: News - Page 35 Empty Re: Yemeni Conflict: News

    Post  iraqidabab Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:08 am

    Walther von Oldenburg wrote:If Houthis want to hold territory, they need some serious stuff. Platoon-sized firefights from time to time are not going to do much, KSA and Co musst be dragged into a really bloody war - several hundred dead per month  - in order to have a draining effect on their armed forces.

    In November Saudis lost:
    - 1x Bradley
    - 2x LAV AG
    - 2X M113
    - 6x Oshkosh M-ATV

    While Emiratis lost 3x Oshkosh M-ATV


    These aren't very heavy losses.

    Houthis don't have many ATGW, barely manpads.
    d_taddei2
    d_taddei2


    Posts : 2591
    Points : 2767
    Join date : 2013-05-11
    Location : Scotland UK

    Yemeni Conflict: News - Page 35 Empty reply

    Post  d_taddei2 Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:44 pm

    iraqidabab wrote:
    Walther von Oldenburg wrote:If Houthis want to hold territory, they need some serious stuff. Platoon-sized firefights from time to time are not going to do much, KSA and Co musst be dragged into a really bloody war - several hundred dead per month  - in order to have a draining effect on their armed forces.

    In November Saudis lost:
    - 1x Bradley
    - 2x LAV AG
    - 2X M113
    - 6x Oshkosh M-ATV

    While Emiratis lost 3x Oshkosh M-ATV


    These aren't very heavy losses.

    Houthis don't have many ATGW, barely manpads.


    true but there's other ways to destroy tanks and armoured vehicles other than ATGW, other methods in past have proved to work such as multiple RPG's/shoulder launched anti-tank weapons, anti tank guns, anti tank mines, anti tank grenades, IED's, and even petrol bombs (if you remember a UK warrior in Iraq the crew was overcome by multiple petrol bombs)

    but i agree more would be taken out if they a had more ATGW, even if they got there hands on some cheap AT-3, or Iran supplied them with the improved version of AT-3 I-RAAD, even these would prove to be useful and cheap enough to supply.

    but everyone has to be impressed with what the Houthi's have achieved so far, especially if you consider what they are up against technologically, and numbers,
    JohninMK
    JohninMK


    Posts : 11107
    Points : 11228
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Yemeni Conflict: News - Page 35 Empty Re: Yemeni Conflict: News

    Post  JohninMK Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:02 pm

    Ooops, looks as if the Saudis might have someone else attacking them and their southern border. Couldn't happen to a nicer set of guys.

    MOSCOW (Sputnik) – Local media reported last week that Saudi Arabia planned to execute over 50 people accused of terrorism. Some of those facing execution are said to be members of al-Qaeda’s local branch. "We swear to God, our blood will be shed before the blood of our captives, and their pure blood will not dry before we shed the blood of the soldiers of Al Saud. We will not enjoy life unless we get the necks of Al Saud rulers," Sky News said, citing a Twitter post by the extremist group.

    Read more: http://sputniknews.com/middleeast/20151201/1031043878/al-qaeda-executions.html#ixzz3t4NrCBpv
    KiloGolf
    KiloGolf


    Posts : 2495
    Points : 2479
    Join date : 2015-09-01
    Location : Macedonia, Hellas

    Yemeni Conflict: News - Page 35 Empty Re: Yemeni Conflict: News

    Post  KiloGolf Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:54 am

    zorobabel wrote:The Houthis have reportedly captured a few positions around the Saudi city of Najran.

    Here's a video of them storming a Saudi outpost:


    Guy wearing a red kimono robe and casually invades Saudi Arabia.
    OK.... wow Shocked
    avatar
    Guest
    Guest


    Yemeni Conflict: News - Page 35 Empty Re: Yemeni Conflict: News

    Post  Guest Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:12 am

    KiloGolf wrote:
    zorobabel wrote:The Houthis have reportedly captured a few positions around the Saudi city of Najran.

    Here's a video of them storming a Saudi outpost:


    Guy wearing a red kimono robe and casually invades Saudi Arabia.
    OK.... wow Shocked
    That is truly amazing that a bunch of Iranian backed ragtag rebels are able to fight off a nation with some of highest expenditures on military in the world so well that the rebels are able to go in and seize that nation's land. They Saudi coalition is doing worse than the Ukrops have done.
    avatar
    whir


    Posts : 827
    Points : 866
    Join date : 2015-04-27

    Yemeni Conflict: News - Page 35 Empty Re: Yemeni Conflict: News

    Post  whir Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:17 am

    Ivan the Colorado wrote:That is truly amazing that a bunch of Iranian backed ragtag rebels are able to fight off a nation with some of highest expenditures on military in the world so well that the rebels are able to go in and seize that nation's land. They Saudi coalition is doing worse than the Ukrops have done.
    Taking into account that Yemen ranks third in number of weapons per capita and has gone through a dozen armed conflicts only in the last fifty years is not like the population lacks fighting experience and obviously the results would be more glamorous with bigger budget but for a less than $1,500 per capita country is more than impressive.

    Sponsored content


    Yemeni Conflict: News - Page 35 Empty Re: Yemeni Conflict: News

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:20 am