Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+76
Peŕrier
Isos
medo
Singular_Transform
Rodion_Romanovic
KiloGolf
Big_Gazza
Tsavo Lion
PapaDragon
George1
miroslav
Firebird
Benya
higurashihougi
Odin of Ossetia
Kimppis
KoTeMoRe
jhelb
Arctic_Fox
magnumcromagnon
whir
Hannibal Barca
mack8
miketheterrible
BKP
slasher
par far
kvs
zardof
Giulio
marcellogo
chinggis
Airman
storm333
marat
Project Canada
Ned86
Rmf
A1RMAN
Singular_trafo
hoom
OminousSpudd
SeigSoloyvov
wilhelm
Honesroc
JohnSnow
franco
Dima
Backinblack
RedJasmin
sepheronx
JohninMK
ult
Kyo
Book.
mutantsushi
collegeboy16
AirCargo
Werewolf
MotherlandCalls
Hachimoto
zg18
dionis
SOC
Pugnax
Sujoy
Stealthflanker
Flyingdutchman
TR1
AlfaT8
KomissarBojanchev
Pervius
TheArmenian
GarryB
Admin
runaway
80 posters

Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #1

George1
    George1

Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #1 - Page 7 Empty Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #1

Post  George1 Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:46 pm

The only Russian heavy aircraft-carrying cruiser "Admiral Kuznetsov" summer planned to send into the Mediterranean Sea, he told Tass on Saturday, a senior source in the main command of the Russian Navy.

Подробнее на ТАСС:
    https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://tass.ru/armiya-i-opk/2719444&usg=ALkJrhgbAarzv9dkA-1Zoc9gmJGAoPe0Eg
    Dima
    Dima

Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #1 - Page 7 Empty Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #1

Post  Dima Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:11 pm

Good to hear about Kuznetsov's summer cruise.....but which summer - Russian or Syrian???   confused

The result of neglecting navy is that we have to wait for primary combatants to come online to make up a good strike/deterrent force. 1st unit of 11356 have already entered service and we may see the 2nd in April (?). In addition 1st unit of 22350 might be in service before the summer cruise of 11435.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:41 pm

Source: "Admiral Kuznetsov" in the fall will go to the Mediterranean Sea with the new fighters

The structure of its air group will include Su-33 and MiG-29K

MOSCOW, April 2nd. / TASS /. Heavy aircraft carrying cruiser of the Russian Navy, "Admiral Kuznetsov" will arrive in the fall of the eastern part of the Mediterranean Sea, a part of his air group will include Su-33 and MiG-29K. This was reported by TASS military-diplomatic source.

"In accordance with the plans of the General Staff of the Armed Forces," Admiral Kuznetsov "in September and October will go down in the Mediterranean Sea, where headed by a permanent grouping of Russian Navy ships. The cruiser will be held on board the mixed air group decked Su-33, Su-25UTG and MiG-29K" , - said the source.

In the remaining months before the start of the campaign the crews of aircraft "will sharpen the skills of takeoff and landing on the deck of an aircraft carrier on the ground test training complex in Saki and Yeisk," he added.

Earlier, a source in the main command of the Navy of Russia reported that the campaign "Kuznetsov" is scheduled for the summer. Now the carrier is on the 35th shipyard in Murmansk, where the technical readiness of recovery. In addition, according to the source, cellar carrier upgraded to new types of aircraft munitions. What tasks are to perform "Kuznetsov" in the Mediterranean Sea, the source did not elaborate.

MiG-29K - Russia's new carrier-based fighter designed for air defense ship connections, gain air superiority and destroy surface and ground targets. The contract for the supply of 24 aircraft of the Navy in single and double versions was signed in February 2012.

Подробнее на ТАСС:
    https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://tass.ru/armiya-i-opk/3171404&usg=ALkJrhhEgzu_pMzE0rA8pEpmk03Ui70TPA
    SeigSoloyvov
    SeigSoloyvov

Post  SeigSoloyvov Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:49 am

I heard there is plans to put her into dry dock for a major refit. Which I think this ship really needs bad there any truth to this claim?

Post  Guest Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:59 am

SeigSoloyvov wrote:I heard there is plans to put her into dry dock for a major refit. Which I think this ship really needs bad there any truth to this claim?

It was just undergoing three months of refit on electronics and installations, and got new paintjob.
    SeigSoloyvov
    SeigSoloyvov

Post  SeigSoloyvov Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:52 pm

Militarov wrote:
    SeigSoloyvov wrote:I heard there is plans to put her into dry dock for a major refit. Which I think this ship really needs bad there any truth to this claim?

It was just undergoing three months of refit on electronics and installations, and got new paintjob.

sorry I wasn't clear. Plans to refit her after this deployment.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:51 pm

SeigSoloyvov wrote:
    Militarov wrote:

With what exactly?
    SeigSoloyvov
    SeigSoloyvov

Post  SeigSoloyvov Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:10 pm

sepheronx wrote:
    SeigSoloyvov wrote:
    Militarov wrote:

With what exactly?

Well I know what they want to refit on this ship is the boiler system because it gives them so much trouble, remove the Garnet ASM, Expand the flight deck to fit more fighters on, replace it's SAM systems. on't know if they plan to add a catapult tho they should since I understand planes cannot take off from this ship with full load.

I heard they plan to send it into dry docks after it completes this tour, which is why I asked if someone else knew something on the matter
    franco
    franco

Post  franco Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:04 pm

SeigSoloyvov wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:
    SeigSoloyvov wrote:
    Militarov wrote:

With what exactly?

Well I know what they want to refit on this ship is the boiler system because it gives them so much trouble, remove the Garnet ASM, Expand the flight deck to fit more fighters on, replace it's SAM systems. on't know if they plan to add a catapult tho they should since I understand planes cannot take off from this ship with full load.

I heard they plan to send it into dry docks after it completes this tour, which is why I asked if someone else knew something on the matter

Have also heard that they are planning a major 3 year refit but don't know the technical details.
    JohnSnow
    JohnSnow

Post  JohnSnow Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:55 pm

SeigSoloyvov wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:
    SeigSoloyvov wrote:
    Militarov wrote:

With what exactly?

Catapult on Kuznetsov? Crazy idea...Just build another carrier or live with the ski-jump.
    SeigSoloyvov
    SeigSoloyvov

Post  SeigSoloyvov Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:05 am

JohnSnow wrote:
    SeigSoloyvov wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:
    SeigSoloyvov wrote:
    Militarov wrote:

With what exactly?

Catapult on Kuznetsov? Crazy idea...Just build another carrier or live with the ski-jump.

Russia right now cannot just "build another carrier"
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:12 am

The K has three takeoff positions... two are short and are perfectly fine for normal CAP and intercept weight aircraft.

The longer flight run allows Su-33s to take off with full fuel and weapons.

there are no heavy transports or AWACS aircraft on board so there is no need for cats of any sort... except the type to control vermin on board.

Personally I would love to see a full upgrade... take out the Granits and old missiles and replace them all with new model SAMs.... the Brahmos-M and Zircon air launched models will be far superior anyway.

Replace the electronics and sensors and for propulsion they should look at propeller pods and nuclear power.

There is no point in building a new carrier now as the infrastructure and all the necessary support vessels that operate around a carrier need to be built first.

Those support ships can be very useful on their own before the carrier is built, but a carrier without those support vessels is little use on its own.
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:46 am

SeigSoloyvov wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:
    SeigSoloyvov wrote:
    Militarov wrote:

With what exactly?

I think there is no need to redesign Kuznetsov. They made needed refits to operate MiG-29K on the carrier and maybe some modernization of electronics on the ship. For Russian needs Kuz serve just fine. They don't have any need to attack any state on the other side of the globe, neither Russian navy as such is suited for this job. Kuz will always operate in the seas near Russia (North Atlantic, Arctic sea and Mediterranean sea), where they will have support from AWACS and air tankers from air force. Maybe in next decade or two, Russia will build a fleet of larger ships and LHDs for oversea operations, but this will never be a primary role for Russian NAVY as Russia is not dependent in import of natural resources. Other story is China, which is dependent on imports and this is why China invest heavily in their blue water NAVY with big carrier groups and in building big LHDs and fleets of destroyers. They not only need to protect East and South China sea, but also maritime route to Persian gulf and Africa.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Wed May 04, 2016 5:21 pm

Russia to Start Aviation Trials for Admiral Kuznetsov Cruiser After July 1

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/military/20160504/1039044235/admiral-kuznetsov-trials.html#ixzz47hVpL7rT
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Wed May 25, 2016 1:48 pm

Modernization of Russia’s sole aircraft carrier to be launched in 2017 — source

According to the source, the works on the vessel will begin after the return from a long-distance voyage in the Mediterranean in the first quarter of 2017 and will last for two-three years

MOSCOW, May 25. /TASS/. Modernization of Russia’s heavy aircraft carrier Admiral Kuznetsov is planned to be launched in the first quarter of 2017, the corresponding contract will be signed in the short run, a source in the defense industry complex told TASS on Wednesday.

"The works on the vessel will begin after she returns from a long-distance voyage in the Mediterranean in the first quarter of 2017 and will last for two-three years," the source said.

"The Defense Ministry’s contract with the United Shipbuilding Corporation (USC) on the aircraft carrier’s repair with modernization worth several billion rubles under the technical design of the Nevskoye Design Bureau is ready, it will be signed in June," he added. The source said that the service contract on the Admiral Kuznetsov with the Northern Fleet command has already been concluded.

It is unknown where the upgrade will be carried out. According to the source, the Sevmash shipyard and Zvezdochka Ship Repair Center are among the bidders. "The modernization will focus on the aircraft carrier’s flight deck, including replacement of the deck covering, tailhooks, aircraft arresting gear and other elements of the take-off system," he said.

The Admiral Kuznetsov composite air wing will include the Sukhoi Su-33 and MiG-29K/KUB fighters, Kamov Ka-27, Ka-31 and Ka-52K helicopters (destined for the Mistral class helicopter carriers). The Su-25UTG aircraft will no longer be based on the aircraft carrier, the source said.

No official confirmation to this information is available to TASS.

The Admiral Kuznetsov aircraft carrier is now at the 35th shipyard in Murmansk. In summer, the trials of a renewed air group are to be carried out at the vessel, Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said. A military-diplomatic source told TASS that the Admiral Kuznetsov aircraft carrier with new aircraft may depart for the eastern part of the Mediterranean Sea this autumn.

More:
    http://tass.ru/en/defense/877942
    Big_Gazza
    Big_Gazza

Post  Big_Gazza Wed May 25, 2016 4:45 pm

George1 wrote:Modernization of Russia’s sole aircraft carrier to be launched in 2017 — source

According to the source, the works on the vessel will begin after the return from a long-distance voyage in the Mediterranean in the first quarter of 2017 and will last for two-three years

MOSCOW, May 25. /TASS/. Modernization of Russia’s heavy aircraft carrier Admiral Kuznetsov is planned to be launched in the first quarter of 2017, the corresponding contract will be signed in the short run, a source in the defense industry complex told TASS on Wednesday.
    More:
    http://tass.ru/en/defense/877942

No mention of removal of SS-N-19/P-700 Granit AShMs to increase the flight complement, or upgrade of radars or AAMs, or upgrade of propulsion (were the steam turbine & boiler issues fixed in her rceent repairs?)....
    Dima
    Dima

Post  Dima Wed May 25, 2016 6:38 pm

Big_Gazza wrote:No mention of removal of SS-N-19/P-700 Granit AShMs to increase the flight complement, or upgrade of radars or AAMs, or upgrade of propulsion (were the steam turbine & boiler issues fixed in her rceent repairs?)....
    Removing the missiles are not going to increase the flight compliment, if hanger extension was what you intended. Hanger extension to that area, if at all conceived, will only give room for 1 x Su-33 or MiG-29K or a helo. But removal of those would provide space for other purposes.

It is more likely to be utilized as new store for spares or as weapons stores linking it to the front munition store and lift. Or as general kitchen stores. But cant be sire what the Russians are planning.

One thing is for sure (I hope so considering earlier reports), the old boilers will be replaced with the new KVG-3D boilers used on INS Vikramaditya and a complete overhaul/service of the propulsion system.
    par far

Post  par far Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:07 pm

Is there any news about the Admiral Kuznetsov, going to the Mediterranean Sea?
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:43 pm

par far wrote:Is there any news about the Admiral Kuznetsov, going to the Mediterranean Sea?

Russian deck-based aircraft will take part in operations in Syria in the autumn of 2016

According to news agency "Tass", deck-based aircraft with heavy aircraft carrier project 11435 "Admiral Kuznetsov" will participate in the strikes on militants in Syria, from the eastern Mediterranean in October 2016 - January 2017. This was announced by the military-diplomatic source in Moscow.

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/1994796.html
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:45 am

Looks like her trip to the warm waters has been delayed from October.

MOSCOW (Sputnik) — Russia will deploy Admiral Kuznetsov, the country's only aircraft carrier, in the Mediterranean Sea before the end of 2016 for a period of up to four months, Adm. Igor Kasatonov, the former head of Russia's Black Sea Fleet, said in an interview.

Earlier in July, a source familiar with the matter told RIA Novosti that the aircraft carrier would be deployed in the Mediterranean no sooner than October.

"The ship will set off [for the Mediterranean] at the end of the year. The carrier battle group, which will include several screening ships, will be formed. Allegedly, a nuclear multi-role submarine will be [in the group]. The ship's deployment is designed to last for 3-4 months," Kasatonov, who also was the first deputy commander of Russia's Navy, told RIA Novosti.

He added that up to a certain point, the group would be escorted by IL-38 anti-submarine aircraft and Tu-142 long range aircraft and possibly the carrier battle group could work with Tu-160 strategic bombers.

The Admiral Kuznetsov was constructed at the Mykolaiv South Shipyard, the sole manufacturer of Soviet aircraft carriers, and launched in 1985. It became fully operational in 1995.
    Honesroc

Post  Honesroc Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:25 pm

It'll be interesting to see what ships are included with the CBG. For instance, would the Academician Kovalyov be included for logistical support? Or is this ship more aptly designed to provide support to outlying posts in the Artic?
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:36 am

Russia's Aircraft Carrier to Be Repaired by October Before Syria Deployment
    wilhelm

Post  wilhelm Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:40 pm

No dates given, but it looks like she is getting ready to deploy, from what is being said.

http://tass.ru/armiya-i-opk/3641012
    ult

Post  ult Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:30 pm

wilhelm wrote:No dates given, but it looks like she is getting ready to deploy, from what is being said.

Can't get over how people call Admiral Kuznetsov "she". I know about english traditions, but it still cracks me up.
    wilhelm

Post  wilhelm Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:20 pm

ult wrote:
    wilhelm wrote:No dates given, but it looks like she is getting ready to deploy, from what is being said.

Can't get over how people call Admiral Kuznetsov "she". I know about english traditions, but it still cracks me up.

Smile
    Point taken.
    Now that you mention it, do I recall correctly in Russia a naval vessel is regarded as a male, or "he", or is that somewhere else?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:06 pm