This thread is for general Russian Space news other then GLONASS and Angara for which we have seperate thread.
Head of the Federal Space Agency (Roscosmos) said "News" for new missile launch site and the construction industry layoffs Directors
This past year was full of events for the Russian space industry - was reform in the industry, the fate of Roscosmos, the outgoing head of the largest companies, funding for space programs set new records. That has been done and what is planned for next year, in an interview with Ivan Cheberko said the head of the Federal Space Agency Vladimir Popovkin.
- Vladimir, emerged as the final year for the space industry?
- December 19, completed a campaign starting this year. Performed in 28 starts, placed in orbit 35 satellites. Unfortunately, due to malfunction of the upper stage "Briz-M" into orbit does not come spacecraft "Express-MD2" and "Telkom-3." In another run, "Breeze" not completed a few minutes, but the device "Yamal-402" will be delivered at the scheduled January 8 point and placed under the control of OAO "Gazprom Space Systems." Detailed assessment of the state of the satellite to be done when the "Yamal" take his position, but it is certain he will be able to work at least 11 years.
Two start-up with Russia have been held with Spaceport in French Guiana, and three - under the "Sea Launch". The total number of runs a little less than in 2011 (not counting starts from the platform "Sea Launch" from the Guiana Space Centre in 2011, the Russian Federation has implemented 32 launch. - "News"). But keep in mind that the amount of the global market starts declined slightly in recent years, resulting in almost all the countries in this year launched less than in the past. This is due to the fact that to date, the geostationary orbit was almost full, passed the stage of modernization of satellites, and the demand for launch services decreased. However Russia its position in the global market kept: a third launch our missiles carried.
- What about the industry as a whole?
- Preliminary results show an increase in the volume of production in the aerospace industry by 14.9% in 2012 compared to the previous year. This growth is largely due to the state armaments program and increased funding under the Federal Space Program.
Average wage of the industry this year amounted to 33 thousand rubles, which is 10% higher than last year.
A very important result was the launch of full-scale work on the creation cosmodrome Vostochny in the Amur region. The starting complex and technical segment is made zero cycle: elevated foundation, actively works on creation of supporting infrastructure - power grids, roads and railways. There is no reason to say that we do not have time in 2015 (in the presidential decree on the establishment of the Baikonur East 2015 is designated as the date of the first run with the new spaceport. - "News"). If we can maintain the current momentum - to meet the deadline.
During the year, replaced the heads of several companies, including the Khrunichev Center, "Russian Space Systems", "Technomash." Task to change all the leaders we have, of course not, but in general I can say that in the next year are assumed to be replaced.
- Several leaders were difficulties with re-certification, in particular the head of the main scientific unit of Roscosmos - TsNIIMASH Gennady Raykunova ...
- After re-evaluation was replaced by Director of NGO "Technomash" Alexander Kotov, there are questions for Chapter KB "Arsenal" Michael Sapieha. Roskosmos was forced to send a commission to the St. Petersburg company that she thoroughly understand the situation from the inside. After the scan, a decision is made, including on personnel matters.
In March next year the contract expires CEO TSNIIMASH, and it was decided not to certify. At the beginning of next year will be a competition for the right to replace the post, then we will see what to do next.
- You have decided on the candidates for the post of "Russian Space Systems"?
- The names of specific applicants called premature, but the process of change of leadership in the RCC goes. Yuri Urlichich November 16 submitted his resignation from the post of CEO. After that, with the Federal Property Management Agency Roscosmos and Economic Development to prepare a proposal on which the guidelines were issued by the government representatives of the interests of the Russian Federation to the RCC to participate in the meeting of the Board of Directors. December 10 The guidelines were approved. According to them, the Board of Directors on December 19 appointed temporary sole executive body of PKC Andrew Chimiris until the election of director general. On the same day came the decision of the extraordinary general meeting of shareholders to terminate the authority PKC Urlichich.
- As the fate of the team Urlichich the RCC? Most of these people openly opposed configured in relation to you personally and to the Russian Space Agency.
- I'm not against the opposition. But the opposition is relevant in business. Differences of opinion, views - this is normal. Always less likely to be mistaken as to listen to all sides. On PKC activity but we have a lot of questions. This structure includes the Institute of Space Device Engineering, and it is so problematic for us a site that we had to go to the western market and buy there equipment control relay. The new leadership of the RCC will solve these problems.
- How is the investigation of the criminal case of embezzlement of funds allocated under the Federal Program PKC on GLONASS?
- This question is for the authorities conducting the investigation.
- Is it true that appeal to you with the request to provide the investigation meeting with your deputy, Anatoly Shilov, who allegedly failed to appear for questioning?
- There is the mystery of the investigation, which I do not want to disturb.
- Russia is indeed in talks with Kazakhstan's Baikonur cosmodrome status change, as stated recently head Kazkosmos Talgat Musabayev?
- To change the fundamental inter-state agreement on rent Baikonur until 2050 the question. The treaty was signed by the heads of states and ratified by the parliaments of the two countries. Kazakhstan is seeking to develop its own space program - to establish cooperation with Astrium satellite production. There is an agreement between Russia and Kazakhstan to build launch complex "Baiterek".
Today, the heads of governments of Russia and Kazakhstan decided to raise the level of intergovernmental commissions on Baikonur. The Russian side was headed by First Deputy Prime Minister Igor Shuvalov. We agreed that the first meeting of the commission will be held next March in Baikonur. But to speak of the transfer of Kazakhstan or finishing lease prematurely.
Separately, the question is on the complex "Baiterek". Talgat Musabayev was made many claims to the Russian side, including the construction budget. But because the cost of construction of the launch complex at $ 1.6 billion was not taken by us from the ceiling. And if our partners there are questions, we are ready to show the cost of establishing a similar launch pad for "hangar" at Plesetsk. If we bring to mind some of the stages of discussions prospects "Baiterek", we can see that there is not all depends on the amount. For example, a long time could not agree on a place in the starting complex. Kazkosmos insisted on the 40th floor, our experts convincingly argued that this is unrealistic. Then there was no agreement on the processing facility. And so on a variety of issues. Today, my colleagues from Kazakhstan are discussing the possibility of replacing the project "Baiterek" booster "Angara" to "Zenith".
- We are talking about the use of the starting position, which is currently leased to Russia?
- But in addition, Kazakhstan has recently interested in acquiring a significant stake in the company "Kosmotras", specializing in foreign exchange carrier launches "Dnepr" ...
- Besides, the government commission on foreign investment has already approved the deal. We think this is absolutely normal. If Kazakhstan wants to participate in this business, let them participate. For us it is also beneficial as part of Kazakhstan "Kosmotras" most likely will remove questions about the provision of fields fall. This is one of the vexed questions. But you first need to make a decision on the extension of the "Dnepr".
- This summer, the media were two unauthorized statements by Defense Ministry's uneconomical to continue the program "Dnepr".
- In those conditions, which were before, it really was not appropriate. But now our partners in Ukraine agreed to change the proportion of funding and reimbursement of costs in the project. They opened us all the financial components. We are now in conjunction with the Ministry of Defense analyze these materials, and in the near future will be decided.
- It will be positive?
- Representatives of Kazakhstan has been concerned with the intent to build a launch pad for "hangar" at the Baikonur East?
- We are not in a hurry, with the decision to build a position for "hangar" in the East. Our design institute, some work in this direction, but we are not forcing them to start flight tests.
- Testing the "Angara" Plesetsk be able to hold as scheduled - this summer?
- Some behind schedule there, but today, and builders, and manufacturers of ground equipment shall take all measures in order to eliminate the backlog by March next year. March for us - it is control point. This month, to begin testing with gruzomaketom with the refueling layout, and have full confidence in the fact that we test flights "Angara" next year will hold, but the exact date can talk in March.
- The missiles are ready?
- Easy to cook. Weight will be made in the I quarter of 2013.
- How do you assess the process of withdrawing from bankruptcy of the "Sea Launch" by RSC "Energia"?
- "Sea Launch" - is unique from a technical point of view the project. But in financial terms the situation is extremely complicated. It has been estimated that by 2017 planned output from bankruptcy, but these calculations have to check again, to deal with the debt burden of the project. Are now doing, and we, and the Board of Directors of "energy."
- Based on the RSC "Energia" now forming one of the largest holding companies in the aerospace industry. At the same time, the process of business combination into larger structures of several stalled amid debate in ways government reorganization Roskosmos. Whether approved to date forms and terms of association in holding?
- The main proposals in this regard have been taken by us at the Board of Roscosmos. We are now finalizing the decisions of the board, in order to present them in January at the Military Industrial Commission. In the I quarter of next year, our proposals could be approved in principle, and then holding on to each system project will be developed, which will detail the scenario painted by the association.
- Do you plan to create engine-holding?
- Apparently, it will create a single holding of launch vehicles, which will include and the Khrunichev Center, and Central Design Bureau "Progress". But there will be a sub-holding for engine building, where, as seen, will the NGO "Energomash" Design Bureau Chemical Automation, Voronezh Mechanical Plant, "Proton PM" and a number of other organizations.
- Holding of carrier rockets will be created under the Khrunichev Center?
- Not really. "Khrunichev" and TsSKB "Progress" will be included in the holding equals. As well as, for example, the United Shipbuilding Corporation includes "Sevmash", "Admiralty Shipyards", "Northern Shipyard". No one is absorbed. Also intend to do and we are. And engine sub-holding is not close to "Khrunichev" or the Samara Space Center, and the management company.
- As a result, RSC "Energia" lose control over NGOs "Energomash" in the near future?
- It was not quite right when the "Energy" by NGOs "Energomash".
- It's not complicate the "Energy" business with "Sea Launch"?
- And how this can complicate the corporation business with the "Sea Launch"?
- Having received the NGO "Energomash" in control, "Energy" was able to sign with the company very best for you contract to buy engines for "Sea Launch" - at a cost of $ 10.6 million in a single RD-171M. Well below the price of the same engines under the Federal Space Program - $ 16.6 million each in 2010 prices. These figures are in the auditor's report, which states clearly that the management company has forced NGOs "Energomash" sell engines below cost.
- This year, the NGO "Energomash" contract for the supply of engines for $ 14.5 million That was before, do not want to talk. I myself could not understand much, including - as might sell engines below cost if the charter company says that the goal is profit. At least now drives are purchased from the manufacturer above cost.
- What are the results of the test gave Roscosmos NGOs "Energomash"?
- The test will be carried out until February next year. Should wait for the results. I note that she is not with us for someone to punish, but to first find out in the future to prevent the processes that may threaten the enterprise. The NGO "Energomash" very good science school, a very good test base. There's a well-organized production engines. Americans buy RD-180 energomashevskogo production and are now talks with us about the possibility of acquiring promising RD-193.
- How they want to use the RD-193?
- To develop their carriers. They were convinced that the Russian company makes a quality product. Best liquid rocket engines in the world. And it is easier to buy than to catch up in this area. That is why we are extremely important to maintain the NGO "Energomash" and ensure its development.
- Are there any plans to increase the share of Russian Federal Space Agency of the state in the authorized capital of the RSC "Energy" to the control?
- Yes, we have already put the matter in question to the owners of the enterprise. That is, to those who owns shares RSC "Energia". This corporation does today's most advanced things in the direction of manned spaceflight: promising manned spacecraft, new modules for the ISS. But in terms of modernization of the enterprise is now not in the best condition. This is due to the fact that the former management and founders feared the erosion of its share in the company as a result of the government's investment program aimed at retooling.
We have had talks with the owners of RSC "Energia", and they are not fundamentally opposed to the investment program, which is likely to be held in the framework of the Federal Space Programme 2016-2025 period. In these terms plans to create long-term transport vehicle will develop a strategy for further development of manned space flight, including from the point of view of a lunar mission.
- What is the possibility of new space tourism to the ISS? The media has reported that singer Sarah Brightman is already preparing for the flight ...
- We are not opposed to training, but so far we have no contract to that effect has been signed. By agreement between Roscosmos and NASA planned extremely long expedition to the ISS crew of two in 2015, people will spend at the station for a year. At the same time, the warranty term of the spacecraft "Soyuz" in orbit - no more than six months. That is, during the extremely long expedition ship docked to the ISS needs to be changed. Question - how to do it? You can put it in two tourists and 10 days to return back. The second option - to do some expedition. But the 10-day expedition is impractical - in fact it will be hidden in the performance of tourism trained astronauts. You can extend the life of the expedition up to 40 days, but then on the ISS will not be six and nine. All this pulls the start of another cargo ship "Progress", and this is serious money we are unlikely to find, as the program up to 2015 is already laid out. Therefore, we have not decided who to put in two free seats. Send our trained astronaut to have it on 10 days to fly there in fact a tourist by the state - perhaps it is not entirely justified. Moreover, our European colleagues have told us that they would like to purchase a vacant chair for her astronaut. Now we weigh all the "pros" and "cons." Plan to take a decision in the I quarter of next year.
- The emergence of supply chains ISS ship Dragon somehow affects the interests of the Russian Federation?
- Nothing wrong with that I do not see. We have contractual obligations with NASA until 2016, inclusive, and any changes to them are not provided. The appearance of the ships Dragon allows us some offload capacity, used to create the cargo ship "Progress". Tense production schedule for production of the four "Unions" and six of "progress" for the annual run, forcing us to move to three-shift schedule. And for all of our regulations all performed for space programs at night forbidden to do. Specialists and supervisors should be with a clear head, because these measures provide a higher reliability of our equipment, used for manned programs.
- On the question of the reliability of space equipment. Recently, the preparation of the launch of Sputnik "Glonass-K2" from Plesetsk representatives of the State Commission disagreed to the fitness of the upper stage "Fregat". Representatives of the Ministry of Defense "razgonnik" rejected, file a claim with the manufacturer - Lavochkin. At the same time, the head of the enterprise Victor Hart says that the device is suitable and ready for launch. You have to understand the situation?
- In order to continue these discussions did not occur, we will offer to take Defense spacecraft, launched on their behalf, in orbit. That there was no dilution of responsibility, someone must answer one. Whatever was said, but "Frigate", which is mentioned in this context, took the military office of the Ministry of Defence. And when one side says that the booster is not ready, I'm having very serious doubts that he knows the situation better than the manufacturer and specialists of the military office. So this "Frigate" flight, and all the needs of the state commission, we will consider.
- At what stage is the agreement with the European Space Agency project ExoMars?
- The agreement in principle to work there. The agreement will be signed. We begin to finance the project.
- To what extent?
- Enough to realize it.
- And from Russia in the project, in addition to the launch vehicle, something else is needed?
- One of only a rocket, our participation is not limited. We were able to agree on the following scheme of interaction: in 2016, "Proton" launch to Mars European orbiter, which will be installed several Russian scientific instruments and our experimental lander.
Then, in 2018, will go to the Red Planet, the rover unit, equipped with a wide range of European and Russian scientific equipment that will allow for the first time in history to get a sample of Martian soil from a depth of several meters. In this scientific data will be relayed through the orbiter mission of 2016.
December 21, I had a telephone conversation with the head of the ESA, Jean-Jacques Dordenom, and we agreed to go to the signing of the agreement in the I quarter of next year. We have a mutual understanding that the delay due to the complexity of formal procedures of the ESA. Until 20 January, we agreed to coordinate the text of the agreement up to the last comma.
- For some more co-operation with ESA projects planned? As part of re-implementing the project "Phobos-Grunt", for example? ..
- We have an agreement with them to cooperate in the Martian project. We are moving in sync across the moon on joint projects studying the Sun, studying Ganymede - satellite of Jupiter. On all these issues, working groups, whose purpose - to prepare the agreement. In general, the future implementation of major space projects is impossible without international integration.