Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+65
PapaDragon
Stealthflanker
Vann7
Strizh
Khepesh
Bolt
k@llashniKoff
cheesfactory
alexZam
AbsoluteZero
EKS
Acheron
KoTeMoRe
smerch24
xeno
Rmf
victor1985
2SPOOKY4U
Brovich
cracker
mack8
Cpt Caz
OminousSpudd
Dima
ult
akd
chicken
Big_Gazza
GarryB
mutantsushi
fragmachine
RTN
NickM
Mike E
sweetflowers365
calripson
Asf
Vympel
AZZKIKR
runaway
magnumcromagnon
etaepsilonk
Morpheus Eberhardt
NationalRus
As Sa'iqa
Sujoy
Department Of Defense
Regular
gaurav
AJ-47
AlfaT8
Viktor
Werewolf
collegeboy16
Russian Patriot
flamming_python
Cyberspec
Austin
Mindstorm
KomissarBojanchev
medo
Zivo
George1
TR1
TheArmenian
69 posters

Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1

Viktor
    Viktor

Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1 - Page 6 Empty Re: Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1

Post  Viktor Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:24 am

Is this Boomerang? its final look?
    TR1
    TR1

Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1 - Page 6 Empty Re: Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1

Post  TR1 Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:53 am

Pretty much what we expected look wise.
    AlfaT8
    AlfaT8

Post  AlfaT8 Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:39 am

TR1 wrote:Pretty much what we expected look wise.
    Really!!! Shocked Shocked
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:46 am

It's pretty much the standard wheeled APC look of every new and future vehicle of past decade +.

What did you expect out of curiosity?

Lack of side doors is the one thing I lament.

Also I am curious about the wheel size. BTRs have much bigger wheels relative to body than most "Western" (stupid term but w/e) APCs.
    Is the Boomerang really tall, or are the wheels smaller?

BTR-90 was much sexier looking though.
    A comparison will be interesting.
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:15 am

https://2img.net/h/i4.photobucket.com/albums/y107/joselu/01.jpg

Btr-90 looked huge compared to BTR-80. Wonder where the Boomerang will fit in.
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:36 am

Judging by Boomerang picture, its height can be altered. Its spacious between the wheels top and its cover.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:11 am

Oook.....why does it look like a Stryker/Patria??

Well they could have put the wheels on the roof... just to be different, but wheels in the lower hull is a tradition in Soviet and Russian armoured vehicles.

A stated goal was ramp rear door, unmanned turret... that kinda demands engine in the front and it is tradition to have the driver and commander beside the engine (BMP-1), so presumably the gunner postion is just behind the engine with the turret behind him and then at the rear the troop compartment.

BTW it might look like a Stryker/Patria, but do either of those vehicles operate in a medium weight brigade of only Stryker/Patria based vehicles and is there a 4 and 6 wheeled version of them that is used in light brigades?

Lack of side doors is the one thing I lament.

I agree, but I remember looking at internal cross sections of the vehicles and the point between the 2nd and 3rd wheels where it is ideal to put the doors is the third crew position which the troops can't access anyway as there is an unmanned turret between there and the troop compartment.

Btr-90 looked huge compared to BTR-80. Wonder where the Boomerang will fit in.

Hard to say but the extra weight means extra volume to keep it all bouyant so I don't think it will be smaller.
    Zivo
    Zivo

Post  Zivo Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:54 am

Compare with other known models.

Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1 - Page 6 CzMudXBsb2Fkcy5ydS93TzhuNy5qcGc_X19pZD0yNDkyMw==

Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1 - Page 6 0_88877_6423a98a_XL

Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1 - Page 6 OV2qw

What I'm wondering, is when you look at the older models, there's space between the turret ring and the engine compartment were the gunner would sit, on the new CG model, it doesn't appear that there's enough space there for a gunner. It could just be that the angle is throwing me off though. The gunner might sit somewhere else, maybe in the rear troop compartment.

How is ammo isolation achieved? A cylindrical wall around the turret ring? Berezhok's magazine is ~1' tall, and spans the turret ring. The gunner and commander sit on top of it. I'll post a pic if I can find a good one.

Here's the interior layout of the older model.

Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1 - Page 6 0_7b7e4_54df1d5c_L
    Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1 - Page 6 0_7b7e5_130968dd_L
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:31 am

Looking at these models:

http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/6503/94845085.b5/0_88877_6423a98a_XL.jpg

Mainly the tracked models in the back ground presumably of the Kurganets the engine is clearly further forward and there are two hatches behind and one directly behind the engine compartment.

In the same image however the engine on the wheeled version is clearly mounted further back which suggests it might be possible that there are three crew positions beside the engine or perhaps even one in front of the engine and two to the side.

There would be no crew or troop access to the turret compartment, and with no crew in the turret it would largely be a column of ammo and ammo handling structures below the turret ring.
    Austin

Post  Austin Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:27 pm

If the engine is in the front and unattended turret is almost at the rear where does the crew sit then ?

Is there enough isolation between crew and ammo or the crew will be just next to the ammo risking in case of hit ?
    Zivo
    Zivo

Post  Zivo Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:41 pm

Would it be possible that this isn't the IFV configuration at all, but the APC version? Since the turret is unmanned why is it so large, why doesn't it just have the 30mm on a swivel mount with the ATGM's stuck on the side? I think the AP/HE ammo is stored on two separate bins on either side of the gun, completely separate from everything else.

That would free up the area directly below the turret for the commander and gunner stations and the magazine is completely removed the the hull. More soldiers could be carried.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:07 pm

If the engine is in the front and unattended turret is almost at the rear where does the crew sit then ?

First of all don't confuse the size of this turret with the size of the turret ring as there will likely be a lot of turret overhang in the IFV model.

The model with the largest turret ring will be the MBT and likely artillery models and they don't need rear troop compartments.

Second the crew sit beside the engine under the frontal armour.

Is there enough isolation between crew and ammo or the crew will be just next to the ammo risking in case of hit ?

There is the frontal hull armour and the engine between the enemy and the turret ammo... if the enemy can reach the ammo from there then no where in the vehicle is safe anyway... a penetrator that reaches the ammo will likely continue through the troop compartment and out the rear.

Would it be possible that this isn't the IFV configuration at all, but the APC version?

It looks to me to be a Berezhok BMP-2 upgrade with something on the rear turret that might be an optimised optronic sight.

Since the turret is unmanned why is it so large, why doesn't it just have the 30mm on a swivel mount with the ATGM's stuck on the side? I think the AP/HE ammo is stored on two separate bins on either side of the gun, completely separate from everything else.

I think you have answered your own question... if this was an APC the turret would probably be much smaller with perhaps a 14.5mm HMG and a grenade launcher or 30mm cannon mount, and likely an extended chassis to increase the size of the troop compartment.

For the 2A42 and 2A72 there is a dual feed mechanism that could be loaded with two different ammo types.

That would free up the area directly below the turret for the commander and gunner stations and the magazine is completely removed the the hull. More soldiers could be carried.

Why remove the ammo from the Hull?

The Russian military have already rejected the RWS on the Lynx and the upgrade of the T-90 that included a turret mounted ammo bustle because they don't like external ammo storage because of its vulnerability to enemy fire.

The turret ring would not need to be huge for the light armament of the IFV and could be even smaller for the APC model... only the MBT models and artillery models will need large turret rings.
    Zivo
    Zivo

Post  Zivo Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:21 am

if this was an APC the turret would probably be much smaller with perhaps a 14.5mm HMG and a grenade launcher or 30mm cannon mount, and likely an extended chassis to increase the size of the troop compartment.

Normally, APC's are limited in firepower due to the required size of the crew cabin. IFV turrets are rather large. The magazine, gunner, and commander seats take up a lot of room. However, if the magazine is up-top, and the turret is unmanned, it will have almost no substructure. Therefore extra seats would be fitted below the turret. All it would need is a LCD screen and joystick for the gunner. The interior would still have the same space as if it had a Kord RWS on the roof.

Previous generations of APC's were little more than taxis to bring troops to the front then fall back and get more, equipped only with HMG's for defense. In contrast IFV's stay with the troops, and provide more firepower. Front lines have definitely blurred since these rolls were defined, and I wonder if this model represents that? Having more firepower to deal with a more fluid enemy's ambushes.

Or that speculation could be all wrong and the turrets unnecessarily large superstructure is just air. Maybe it's not so dissimilar from Berezhok, featuring a manned turret. If the magazine was in the hull, I would expect the turret to look more like Kliver, or maybe the BPPU.

Regardless, sketchy models only make we want to see the prototypes even more. Very Happy
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:06 am

Yes... the primary role of APCs is to protect their troops with armour and make them mobile around the battlefield so they can keep up with tanks, but that is all. The purpose of IFVs is to do the same but also provide fire support for those troops and to engage light vehicles the enemy is using.

In early model BMP-3s they had problems with the turret ring cracking under the assymetrical recoil of the 100mm gun which was not centred in the turret.

The BTR-80/82 is a good example of an APC in that its armament is restricted to a single 30mm cannon or 14.5mm HMG and coaxial 7.62mm MG depending on the model.

In comparison the IFV tend to also have ATGM capability, and in the Soviet and Russian armed forces more HE fire power to better engage a wider range of enemy targets.

Normally, APC's are limited in firepower due to the required size of the crew cabin. IFV turrets are rather large. The magazine, gunner, and commander seats take up a lot of room. However, if the magazine is up-top, and the turret is unmanned, it will have almost no substructure. Therefore extra seats would be fitted below the turret. All it would need is a LCD screen and joystick for the gunner. The interior would still have the same space as if it had a Kord RWS on the roof.

Except that a penetrating hit on the turret could start a fire because the ammo is in the line of sight... a better solution would be to use a very small turret ring with a narrow column for ammo storage and weapon and sensors only in the turret. To make the troop compartment more spacious just make the hull slightly longer.

Modern squads will be much better armed and better equipped so smaller groups will be required anyway.

Previous generations of APC's were little more than taxis to bring troops to the front then fall back and get more, equipped only with HMG's for defense. In contrast IFV's stay with the troops, and provide more firepower. Front lines have definitely blurred since these rolls were defined, and I wonder if this model represents that? Having more firepower to deal with a more fluid enemy's ambushes.

There is probably good reasons to use both IFVs and APCs, in many cases an IFV... especially if it has decent armour and decent HE fire power could substitute for a MBT in some low intensity roles, certainly a BMPT type vehicle could also be adapted for the role too.

Or that speculation could be all wrong and the turrets unnecessarily large superstructure is just air. Maybe it's not so dissimilar from Berezhok, featuring a manned turret. If the magazine was in the hull, I would expect the turret to look more like Kliver, or maybe the BPPU.

I rather suspect that the model depicted is merely a Berezhok turret with the optics altered slightly fitted to a Boomerang chassis with the roof hatches removed.

I rather doubt they will release images of the successful final vehicles before they show images of the prototypes... and like the PAK FA I rather doubt even the first prototypes will be set in stone. There will be an enormous range of Boomerangs with all sorts of equipment and turrets and weapons fitted to it... there will likely even be a turretless UAV launcher vehicle with roof mounted catapults and internal cabin space for three crew and 4-6 operators and various raisable antenna to communicate with the in air birds housed in boxes on the roof like pidgeons from WWI.

I would expect an APC model with just a HMG and perhaps the new 40mm Balkan grenade launcher could be the width of the commanders cupola on a T-90 which would allow 360 degree rotation independent of the vehicle and a the space needed for perhaps 500 HMG rounds, 2,000 7.62mm rounds and 400-500 40mm grenades, or a 30mm cannon with 500 rounds, or indeed a 23mm KPVB cannon with 1,000 rounds.
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:49 pm

Some new photos of Boomerang, Kruganets and Typhoon

Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1 - Page 6 5umhzl

Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1 - Page 6 2m3ie5f

Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1 - Page 6 Rl9kq0

Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1 - Page 6 Oqvkno

Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1 - Page 6 Ayttnq

Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1 - Page 6 2d6jzo1
    AlfaT8
    AlfaT8

Post  AlfaT8 Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:57 pm

Viktor wrote:
    Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1 - Page 6 2d6jzo1

WOW, so they did make Unmanned version of the BAKHCHA turret. Cool

Thanks for the pics Viktor. thumbsup
    Zivo
    Zivo

Post  Zivo Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:57 pm

Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1 - Page 6 Ayttnq

45/57 and maybe APS.

Were did you see these models? Are they official or fan art?
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:16 pm

Here is the LINK

Some Russians say this is the real thing although we will see very soon.
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:19 pm

Man HOW MANY damn different versions/renders of the Kurganets/Bumerang/Armata are we gonna be presented with!?

Russian military intelligence disinformation department at work and in overdrive. This is all way too confusing.

Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1 - Page 6 5umhzl
    And this. WTF is this? I'm not saying it doesn't look good, but there are already at least 4-5 concurrent light-vehicle projects in the pipe or ready already. Pick one already, geez.

Zivo
    Zivo

Post  Zivo Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:49 pm

I'm not saying it doesn't look good

Be honest, it's ugly. Laughing

I really hope they hold a competition for these light vehicles, there's just to many options on the table.
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:02 pm

It has something WW2 German in its design. I like it a lot. Very Happy
    Zivo
    Zivo

Post  Zivo Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:11 pm

This is the first set of models I've seen that really show the high part commonality between the vehicles. Just look at the hulls of Boomerang and Kurganets. It's also nice to see the 6x6 version of Boomerang.

Whether these are the finalized designs or fan art, it's something to look at.

Typhoon kind of confuses me though. It looks to me like it might be too small to be practical as a HMMWV, especially compared to Wolf, Tigr, and Vystrel. It does kind of look like a modern take on the UAZ 469.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:04 am

Some new photos of Boomerang, Kruganets and Typhoon

That top image the vehicle has too much glass, and the weapons on the roof look like Mk19 40mm grenade launcher and a US 50cal HMG.

The second image with the two tracked and 8 wheel and 6 wheel vehicles looks more realistic.

The 3rd, 4th, and 5th image looks wrong... both the guns look western for a start.

Typhoon kind of confuses me though. It looks to me like it might be too small to be practical as a HMMWV, especially compared to Wolf, Tigr, and Vystrel. It does kind of look like a modern take on the UAZ 469.

Typhoon will not exist... except the truck based model... ie

Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1 - Page 6 0_66a010

The original Typhoon... as in Armata, Kurganets, Boomerang, Typhoon has been replaced with a 4 or 6 wheel lightened Boomerang... which makes a lot of sense if you think about it.

The purpose of using families is unification/standardisation. You need to balance enough different types to provide vehicles for the different roles, yet have them similar enough to not be too expensive.

The Soviet model was a custom designed vehicle for each role, which was expensive but resulted in some useful vehicles.

The main difference between the different vehicles will be wheeled or tracked, armour weight, fire power, and engine. Seats and controls and most of the electronics and sensors will otherwise be the same. It was silly to have a medium and light wheeled vehicle of two different types. Boomerang-25 and Boomerang-10 will have different engines and different transmissions and while Boomerang-25 will likely have 6-8 wheels (more for heavier versions like the MBT and artillery and less for the command or indeed the light APC model which might allow space for side doors in a 6 wheel design...), the Boomerang-10 is going to be an APC shaped 4 and 6 wheeled shorter lighter vehicle with a smaller engine and lighter weapons.

The boomerangs will share most components like the Kurganets and Armata will share tracked vehicle components though their sizes and weights will be different, and therefore so will their engines and transmissions etc.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:09 am

Note regarding the Kamaz Taifun 6 wheeler it seems the VDV will be getting Tigr-M vehicles and also a further modified Taifun vehicle for transport.

http://en.rian.ru/military_news/20130226/179682507/Russian-Paratroopers-to-Receive-Indigenous-Armored-Vehicles-----.html
    gaurav
    gaurav

Post  gaurav Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:00 am

Victor wrote:Some new photos of Boomerang, Kruganets and Typhoon

Lots of confusion with earlier photos. Russian language website members may get confused ..cant say about that .. Cool
    Picture 3,4 and 5th definitely have some western or German look..Cant tell about the weight category of 3rd 4 and 5th picture.

BUT amazing photos overall really liked it. Smile

Garry wrote:http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/6503/94845085.b5/0_88877_6423a98a_XL.jpg
    These models are definitely different from .. Kurgan machines link.. given by Garry..

Some competitor evolving to Kurganmashovod..no..?That would be too radical.

Russian military intelligence disinformation department at work and in overdrive. This is all way too confusing.

I think this is quite possible.But I cannot comment on that exclusively.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:11 pm