Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+50
miroslav
mack8
Tsavo Lion
limb
Scorpius
Podlodka77
Belisarius
Mig-31BM2 Super Irbis-E
diabetus
sepheronx
andalusia
magnumcromagnon
Krepost
walle83
Arkanghelsk
Shadåw
Bob Bollusc
George1
marcellogo
JohninMK
Isos
Finty
Gomig-21
Daniel_Admassu
hoom
franco
Hole
LMFS
mnztr
calripson
Atmosphere
lyle6
kvs
joker88
Cyberspec
TMA1
Backman
medo
flamming_python
Broski
william.boutros
Cheetah
Russian_Patriot_
owais.usmani
GarryB
ALAMO
AMCXXL
Mir
miketheterrible
PapaDragon
54 posters

Su-35S: News #2

Finty
    Finty

Su-35S: News #2 Empty Su-35S: News #2

Post  Finty Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:43 am

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/russia-shows-off-its-su-35-and-su-57e-fighters-with-new-pilot-station-simulators-164736.html

Russia Shows Off Its Su-35 and SU-57E Fighters With New Pilot Station Simulators

Russia is a regular at international military shows, where it can showcase its latest products aimed at foreign customers. But there’s nothing like a local event to really bring out “the big guns”. In this case, some of Russia’s most famous fighter aircraft.
    The SU-57 is a 5th generation military aircraft with advanced avionics and automated features
    14 photos
    Su-57ESu-57ESu-57ESu-57ESu-57ESu-57ESu-57ESU-35SU-35SU-35SU-35SU-35SU-35
    The Russian export agency for defense products, Rosoboronexport, is the official sponsor of this year’s MAKS International Air Show, which will take place at the Gromov Flight Research Institute’s airfield in Zhukovsky, close to Moscow. No less than 120 delegations from 65 countries will attend the event from July 20 to July 25.

The Russian agency plans to introduce its touchscreen-based, interactive multimedia installation that will allow visitors to see up to 38 3D models of advanced defense products, including photos, videos and additional information. Scaled models of various helicopters, ranging from the Mi-35M transport helicopter to the KA-53 scout/attack helicopter, will also be on display.

But one of the most anticipated novelties at the MAKS Show are the virtual reality pilot station simulators for the Su-35 and Su-57E fighter jets, developed by the same company who manufactured the aircraft, Sukhoi (part of the United Aircraft Corporation).

A 4th generation airplane that uses 5th generation technology, the SU-35 was made to be able to fight in conditions where standard 4th generation planes couldn’t perform, as a way to “fill the gap” until the next-generation aircraft will enter the service.

A multi-purpose fighter, the SU-35 features a modified airframe structure, for better performance, as well as upgraded airborne equipment and weapons. According to the manufacturer, it’s supposed to blend the best from a fighter (optimal maneuverability, supersonic speed, long range) with the best from a tactical airplane (wide range of weapons and advanced electronic warfare capabilities).

Su-57E, on the other hand, is one of the most recent aircraft in Russia’s arsenal, a 5th generation airplane that integrates a new set of avionics, including high-level automated control features and intelligent crew support. This not only eases the pilots’ workload, but it gives the advantage of real-time communication and data exchange with a ground-based control system.

Attendees at the MAKS-2021 will have the chance, for the first time, to experience these 2 impressive aircraft, thanks to the new pilot station simulators.

Moving on, I have some questions for this forum regarding the really quite fetching Su-35 Arctic Camo scheme and other paintjobs

Is it true this was done for airshows?

How many Su-35s wear this scheme?

And finally, how many Su-35s were delivered in the old dark grey topside/light grey underside scheme a la some Su34s and Su30SMs and when did that start being replaced by the more familiar blue camo?

Gomig-21 and Russian_Patriot_ like this post

PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Su-35S: News #2 Empty Re: Su-35S: News #2

Post  PapaDragon Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:36 am

Finty wrote:...Su-35 Arctic Camo scheme and other paintjobs

Pretty much zero

Standard paintjob is light blue

Gomig-21 likes this post

Gomig-21
    Gomig-21

Post  Gomig-21 Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:09 am

Finty wrote:Moving on, I have some questions for this forum regarding the really quite fetching Su-35 Arctic Camo scheme and other paintjobs

And finally, how many Su-35s were delivered in the old dark grey topside/light grey underside scheme a la some Su34s and Su30SMs and when did that start being replaced by the more familiar blue camo?

Assuming this is what you mean by the Arctic Camo Scheme?

Su-35S: News #2 Sukhoi_su-35

It's just absolutely fantastic.  It's too bad they don't use it for at least some of the northern missioned squadrons, or where Papa Dragon lives in good ol' Siberia where there's nothing but snow, snow, snow and more snow! lol

I even think this pattern makes it really well even on the Su-57.  Much better looking than the digital camo and certainly better than the other pattern.

But not to take away from the Su-35 finish colors, this thing is just an absolute stunner!

Su-35S: News #2 Article_5cf5c4d4270470_07747608

zardof and Finty like this post

Finty
    Finty

Post  Finty Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:48 pm

That’s the one yes, nice isn’t it! I do quite like the standard scheme as well tho.

Gomig-21 likes this post

miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:37 pm

the one thing I like about US planes is the rather basic grey color. Dont know why I like it, I just do. To each their own. I look forward to Egypt's full acquisition of these jets.

Gomig-21 and Finty like this post

Mir
    Mir

Post  Mir Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:46 pm

Gomig-21 wrote:
    Assuming this is what you mean by the Arctic Camo Scheme?

Su-35S: News #2 Sukhoi_su-35

It's just absolutely fantastic.  It's too bad they don't use it for at least some of the northern missioned squadrons, or where Papa Dragon lives in good ol' Siberia where there's nothing but snow, snow, snow and more snow! lol

I even think this pattern makes it really well even on the Su-57.  Much better looking than the digital camo and certainly better than the other pattern.

I would say that this is more of a disruptive or splinter pattern than an arctic one. Very cool though. It was used in the second Su-35BM prototype.

The current standard pattern should work quite well in the arctic.

Gomig-21, Finty and joker88 like this post

AMCXXL
    AMCXXL

Post  AMCXXL Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:39 pm

GarryB wrote:It is not an accident that the Su-57 is smaller than the Su-35 and closer in size to the MiG-35...

I do not see anywhere that the Su-57 and the MiG-35 are alike in size

The maximum weight of the Su-35 and Su-57 is the same, about 35 tons. the wingspan is almost the same too, the biggest difference is the Su-35's nose which gives it more length.

The MiG-35 is much lighter, maximum 25 tons, although it has lost some of the lightness of the MiG-29 (18 tons)

If you look closely at the central part, the Su-57 is made on the base of the Flanker, in fact it is a Flanker camouflaged of stelth.
    Right now it has the same engines as the Su-35 because they are made on the same basis and are interchangeable.
    The NATO fanatics have criticized the Su-57 precisely for that, and that is that it does not need to be 100% stealth to defend Russia, that is mania of NATO zealots.[/quote]

Hole likes this post

ALAMO

Post  ALAMO Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:49 pm

You are right, but we can call a Su-57 "compact".
    One of the most secret values is a minimal distance to take off, but I remember seeing an interview a few years back, where there was a discussion for that matter.
    It was a journo and chief of military acceptance team if I remember correctly. scratch
    They have not told any number for that, just when the guy asked "300m?", the other just looked at him with this pathetic eye Laughing
    So my guess from now on is, that there may be a potential for this frame to take off from the carrier with no assistance. Sure, we can discuss with what load, carrier speed, and wind conditions, still ... that face made me wonder.

flamming_python likes this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:29 am

the one thing I like about US planes is the rather basic grey color. Dont know why I like it, I just do. To each their own. I look forward to Egypt's full acquisition of these jets.

After decades of hearing it is low visibility that video shown where a flanker in its poor blue and white camouflage shooed away an American F-15 in the low vis gray really opened my eyes to what bullshit that really was.

The Flanker... which is a similar sized aircraft was on the camera side of the F-15 as it forced it away so it was always closer and it disappeared into the background of clouds... and the F-15 remained visible at all times.

Someone claimed it was a good colour for night missions... which is obviously bullshit... it would not be dark enough...

I do not see anywhere that the Su-57 and the MiG-35 are alike in size

It is constantly mentioned that the Su-57 is smaller and lighter than the Su-35 and Su-27... the photo I posted above of the Su-57 and MiG-35 show there is not a massive difference in size like you see when MiG-29s fly with Su-27s.

So my guess from now on is, that there may be a potential for this frame to take off from the carrier with no assistance. Sure, we can discuss with what load, carrier speed, and wind conditions, still ... that face made me wonder.

I think that is a given considering the Su-33 already gets airborne with old engines... not even the improved engines of the Su-35 let alone the new engines for the Su-57, and the Su-33 has the extra drag of external weapons.
    Mir
    Mir

Post  Mir Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:17 am

I would like to see them give the Su-33's a deep upgrade - something closer to the Su-35's perhaps, but it all depends on how long the Navy intends to keep these planes in service and the actual air frame condition.

I must say on face value they look to be in superb condition!

GarryB likes this post

owais.usmani

Post  owais.usmani Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:25 am

Su-35S: News #2 20696810

PapaDragon, Gomig-21, LMFS and Finty like this post

Finty
    Finty

Post  Finty Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:57 am

GarryB wrote:

After decades of hearing it is low visibility that video shown where a flanker in its poor blue and white camouflage shooed away an American F-15 in the low vis gray really opened my eyes to what bullshit that really was.

The Flanker... which is a similar sized aircraft was on the camera side of the F-15 as it forced it away so it was always closer and it disappeared into the background of clouds... and the F-15 remained visible at all times.

Someone claimed it was a good colour for night missions... which is obviously bullshit... it would not be dark enough...

I'm not sure if you can say for certain that the F-15 in the video is too light for night ops. Remember it was an F-15E strike Eagle, adept of course in air-to-air but a truly multirole fighter. I guess the use of dark grey would work well at night or for low level ops but it does stand out (rather more than the lighter grey paintjob of the air superiority F-15C); that grey is pretty much like that used on the B-1s, B-52s and FB-111s when they still existed. I have yet to read any criticism of the RusAF's camo schemes, have you seen it happen often?

USAF paintjobs is of course another topic in itself. See the new Have glass V paint on the F-16s which is a tad darker than the dark grey of the Hill One scheme.
    owais.usmani

Post  owais.usmani Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:46 pm

Su-35S: News #2 21649210
    Su-35S: News #2 21658110
    Su-35S: News #2 20656510
    Su-35S: News #2 21616510
    Su-35S: News #2 21663410
    Su-35S: News #2 21668310
    Su-35S: News #2 21659110
    Su-35S: News #2 21635910
    Su-35S: News #2 21686910

franco, medo, Cyberspec, George1, Big_Gazza, ALAMO, zepia and like this post

Russian_Patriot_
    Russian_Patriot_

Post  Russian_Patriot_ Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:42 pm

Eleven Su-35 fighters built for Egypt at the Komsomolsk-on-Amur Aviation Plant named after Yuri Gagarin
    Su-35S: News #2 Img_2082

ALAMO, Gomig-21, LMFS and Finty like this post

ALAMO

Post  ALAMO Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:45 pm

It is nice to see the smoothness of Su-35 production.

Big_Gazza, Gomig-21 and Russian_Patriot_ like this post

Russian_Patriot_
    Russian_Patriot_

Post  Russian_Patriot_ Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:21 pm

ALAMO wrote:It is nice to see the smoothness of Su-35 production.
    I agree. The Su-35 production line has been debugged for a long time, now I'm waiting for the same with the Su-57 line
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:06 am

I have yet to read any criticism of the RusAF's camo schemes, have you seen it happen often?

Only fanboys on the internet in the 1990s...
    Cheetah
    Cheetah

Post  Cheetah Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:53 am

Anyone hear about the recent rumours claiming the Rafale was able to jam the radars of Egyptian Su-35s?

According to all secondary sources of the rumour, the origin of the claim was by a military defence analysis magazine going by the name "Breaking Defense", which apparently quoted "Egyptian air force sources". One such secondary source has already been quoted on the Su-35 Wikipedia article, where the claim is getting mentioned. Despite this, I can't seem to find the original quote anywhere.

In summary, according to the claim; while the Su-35 was playing the role of aggressor in an unnamed exercise involving Rafale F3Rs, its radar was repeatedly jammed, and it was subsequently shot down in simulated BVR combat.

Information around the event seems to be scarce, so I'm definitely dubious, but I can't say I feel anything but concern if it's remotely true.

Gomig-21 likes this post

william.boutros

Post  william.boutros Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:11 pm

Cheetah wrote:Anyone hear about the recent rumours claiming the Rafale was able to jam the radars of Egyptian Su-35s?

According to all secondary sources of the rumour, the origin of the claim was by a military defence analysis magazine going by the name "Breaking Defense", which apparently quoted "Egyptian air force sources". One such secondary source has already been quoted on the Su-35 Wikipedia article, where the claim is getting mentioned. Despite this, I can't seem to find the original quote anywhere.

In summary, according to the claim; while the Su-35 was playing the role of aggressor in an unnamed exercise involving Rafale F3Rs, its radar was repeatedly jammed, and it was subsequently shot down in simulated BVR combat.

Information around the event seems to be scarce, so I'm definitely dubious, but I can't say I feel anything but concern if it's remotely true.

That was French Rafale against Indian Su-30.

Gomig-21 likes this post

Broski
    Broski

Post  Broski Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:51 pm

It's called rumors for a reason, and using wikipedia as a source is beyond a joke. I'll wait to hear what Egyptian officials has to say about it.
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:53 pm

There are also rumours they will buy 136 new fighters. Must be releted...

I doubt they use them one against the other that easily since that could leak information from one to the other side (russia or nato).
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:13 pm

Broski wrote:It's called rumors for a reason, and using wikipedia as a source is beyond a joke. I'll wait to hear what  Egyptian officials has to say about it.

Why would Egyptian officials comment?

I'd wait to see if they do order another 100 Rafales or not.
    Cheetah
    Cheetah

Post  Cheetah Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:14 pm

Broski wrote:It's called rumors for a reason, and using wikipedia as a source is beyond a joke. I'll wait to hear what Egyptian officials has to say about it.
    Wikipedia is not an inherently reliable source, no; but it does reference other sources, the reliability of which can be judged independently. What I was getting at is that these rumours appear to be based on very little at the moment.

---
    If I recall correctly, there was an uncannily similar claim some time ago about the Ka-52s that Russia sent to Egypt being of sub-par quality compared to the AH-64; and that the Egyptians were therefore going to purchase more AH-64s. Later, the Egyptian head of the armed forces countered the claims, saying that they (Ka-52s) were, quote, "of the highest quality, not inferior to the American Apache."

The negative claims about the Ka-52 originated on a military blog, not dissimilar to what we see now with the Rafale and Su-35, however, the page no longer exists (funny, that).

I wonder if this is going to be the same sort of deal.

GarryB, flamming_python, dino00, Gomig-21 and Mir like this post

Gomig-21
    Gomig-21

Post  Gomig-21 Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:53 pm

Cheetah wrote:Anyone hear about the recent rumours claiming the Rafale was able to jam the radars of Egyptian Su-35s?

Yeah it's all bogus. The biggest giveaway was when they quoted that the Rafales incapacitated the "BARS" radar. We all know that the Su-35S has the IRBIS-E and not the BARS lol. I wouldn't pay any attention to that.

Also SPECTRA on the Rafale is a defensive suite to fool any enemy lock onto it. It doesn't have any mechanism to do anything beyond that to any other aircraft radar, so that part they claimed in the article is also bogus.

The EAF told the US they preferred the Su-35S over the F-15 that was offered instead, so that tells you right there what they think of that awesome aircraft.

flamming_python, dino00 and Mir like this post

flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:22 pm

Gomig-21 wrote:

Yeah it's all bogus.  The biggest giveaway was when they quoted that the Rafales incapacitated the "BARS" radar.  We all know that the Su-35S has the IRBIS-E and not the BARS lol.  I wouldn't pay any attention to that.  

Also SPECTRA on the Rafale is a defensive suite to fool any enemy lock onto it.  It doesn't have any mechanism to do anything beyond that to any other aircraft radar, so that part they claimed in the article is also bogus.

The EAF told the US they preferred the Su-35S over the F-15 that was offered instead, so that tells you right there what they think of that awesome aircraft.  

Quite a nasty little story that one

Fortunately, they apparently had the good grace to allow through some amateur mistakes

Gomig-21 likes this post

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:30 pm