Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

2 posters

Hunting rifles thread

magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Hunting rifles thread Empty Re: Hunting rifles thread

Post  magnumcromagnon Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:21 pm

Soviet Cosmonaut survival rifle TP 82. The cool thing is the butt-stock stores a hidden machete:

Hunting rifles thread Pistolet_tp82_muzei

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:31 am

Yes, developed after a group of cosmonauts were left to fend for themselves for a couple of days while they were being found because of bad weather...

Two shotgun barrels in about 32 gauge it equates to, which can also fire flares which can be used for self defence, and a single barrel in 5.45x39mm which can also be used for self defence or hunting if they are going to be a while.

There are two hammers and it is a simple break open triple barrel design with the hammer on one side having a moveable striker so it can be lowered to fire the 5.45mm barrel or left up to fire the top shotgun barrel.

Clever little design and quite compact, they were issued quite a few years but eventually were replaced with a Makarov pistol.

Personally I would like a larger survival model with perhaps a folding stock, and much longer barrels in more useful calibres... perhaps 12 gauge and 7.62x39mm.
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Hunting rifles thread Empty Temporary thread for hunting weapons

Post  magnumcromagnon Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:02 pm

GarryB wrote:Yes, developed after a group of cosmonauts were left to fend for themselves for a couple of days while they were being found because of bad weather...

Two shotgun barrels in about 32 gauge it equates to, which can also fire flares which can be used for self defence, and a single barrel in 5.45x39mm which can also be used for self defence or hunting if they are going to be a while.

There are two hammers and it is a simple break open triple barrel design with the hammer on one side having a moveable striker so it can be lowered to fire the 5.45mm barrel or left up to fire the top shotgun barrel.

Clever little design and quite compact, they were issued quite a few years but eventually were replaced with a Makarov pistol.

Personally I would like a larger survival model with perhaps a folding stock, and much longer barrels in more useful calibres... perhaps 12 gauge and 7.62x39mm.

It exists but it has a single shotgun barrel. Its called the Baikal IZH 94 12 gauge top barrel, 7.62x39mm bottom barrel:

GarryB
    GarryB

Hunting rifles thread Empty Hunting rifles thread

Post  GarryB Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:15 am

This wont be the first post in this thread, but it lays down the direction and expectations of this thread.

To start with it removes some chatter about guns that are not assault rifles or machine guns from a thread about said weapons.

This thread is about hunting weapons, I will be talking about my ideal designs or interests for New Zealand but you can describe laws in your own countries and how that effects what you can own and use too.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:52 am

It exists but it has a single shotgun barrel. Its called the Baikal IZH 94 12 gauge top barrel, 7.62x39mm bottom barrel:

Yeah, but I wanted something exotic... a folding stock I can strap it to my backpack and take anywhere when hunting or hiking, and two shotgun barrels are useful for all sorts of game that I might come across... most common would be possum or rabbit with a number 3 birdshot... if I come across a goat or pig or small deer then the 7.62x39mm is an ideal little short range cartridge that is cheap. With potentially two solid slug backups if I miss.

With the banning of semi autos, this sort of weird weapon might become more popular... there is a range of single shot break open weapons the Russians have that I would be interested in if you could change the barrels... ie one rear part and one front section.

So depending on any discussion that might take place on this thread I can make it almost anything we need... so far with the TP-82 and single shot break open weapons this could be a section on survival rifles or pack rifles.

The local gunshop has a triple barrel shotgun, which is rather interesting, and of course the Henry .22s based on the AR-7s with a small semi auto .22lr rifle that dismantles and fits in its own stock.

I have a Korshun .22lr already and don't need another .22lr... although there is a new Czech rifle that has attracted my attention... it is a revolver with a 20 inch barrel and a rifle stock and is a small carbine... it has a 9 shot cylinder, but it is $1,600... and we are still allowed semi auto .22s with up to 10 round mags, so although it looks cool, I might just give it a miss.

If it was Russian I would buy it of course... Smile
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:11 am

GarryB wrote:

The local gunshop has a triple barrel shotgun,

You mean the Italian/Turkish Chiappa Triple Threat/Crown? Surprisingly enough it's no where near as radical as some shotguns produced in Turkey:

Hunting rifles thread Chiappa_Firearms_Triple_Crown_94
    Hunting rifles thread TripleCrownActionOpen_2000x

Triple barrel 12 gauge, why settle for that when you can have a literal 2x4, and by that I mean 2 bore by 4 barrels? Wink Enough recoil to send you in to space! angel
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:25 am

Well I like the idea of a simple single barrel gun, what I don't like is the thought that maybe I might not get clean hit and kill, or if there are more than one targets there and I am trying to eradicate pests rather than filling the freezer then sometimes one just isn't enough and nor is two.

I try to be sensible about shooting so I will only shoot if I am sure of a good kill, but sometimes it is more important to take a small chance for a kill.

Let me explain, if it is a rabbit then I want a clean kill... rabbits are pests here and it would be better if there are none left, but there are probably a few hundred million here so whether I kill this one or not is not really pivotal... I can always get it later.

If it is a Ferret or Stoat or Weasel then I want it dead... if I see one of those fuckers I will shoot... I don't care if I just wound it... I'd chase the bastard down and crush its skull with my boot heel if I have to.

With rabbits and goats and deer and pigs it is about trimming their numbers to keep a balance... they also make good eating... possum skins are worth money and wallabies are a pest that need to be eradicated as well as magpies and the mustelids I mentioned above.

Farm raised animals often have a lot of fat because they get fed a lot and don't move around much.

Wild animals are normally much healthier in terms of fat content, and of course I know how fresh the meat is too.

Ideally I would love to see Baikal come out with a new version of their single shot rifles like the MP-18MH... it wouldn't need to be too much different.

Currently they separate with one half having the trigger and hammer and firing mechanism and the front half being the front stock and barrel and chamber and of course iron sights and sight mounts for any scope you might want to mount.

This means you can't use half of it and call it a pistol... which is good for legal use here in NZ.

What it also means is that you could design it so that you can swap the barrel with the chamber out, so you could own one rifle with as many different calibres as you need.

In fact they could expand it to include modified rear bits with internal or exposed hammer designs... one hammer/firing pin or two or three with a front piece that can hold one, two or three barrels... you could have all three the same calibre, or different calibres.

You could have shotgun barrels with different chokes, with a wide choke for the first shot and then a tight choke for the second and or third... if you miss with the first shot then the second and third shots will be tighter patterns to hit targets running away... so the second shot will allow you to take a second shot at a retreating target that might be wounded or just leaving the area fast... the tighter choke means it is more effective at greater ranges.

With iron sights and scope mounts directly on each barrel you could set up each for the calibre it uses at a useful distance for that calibre... you wouldn't normally take shots at extreme range with such a rifle anyway.

Another option could be chamber inserts... the Soviets were clever when they designed their weapons... their 7.62 calibre weapons are actually .311 calibre, so you could make a barrel in that calibre and with a suitable chamber you could fire 7.62x25mm Tokarev, 7.62 x 38mmR Nagant revolver, 7.62x39mm SKS/AK calibre ammo, and 7.62x54mmR Mosin rifle calibre ammo... and British .303 calibre ammo too with the correct chamber fitted of course.

I don't know that 308 winchester.7.62 NATO would be very efficient in such a barrel diameter as I think it might be too loose...

But then another option could be a break open 12 gauge barrel with chamber inserts for different calibres.

Most of the sets I have seen are for pistol ammo generally... Chiappa make a set for 12 gauge shotguns to fire a wide variety of pistol rounds with a chamber and an 8 inch barrel that fits down a 12 gauge barrel loaded from the chamber end (ie a single shot break open shotgun is all you need).

There is no reason you couldn't have say 18 inch chamber inserts in a full range of full power rifle calibres if you wanted... obviously carrying around 45cm chamber inserts for each barrel calibre can start to take up space and get quite heavy and not all rounds do their best in that sort of barrel length... I would think of this sort of thing as an emergency survival measure.

Here in New Zealand the ownership of pistols is restricted fairly tightly, so pistol calibre ammo is not so common and rather expensive so it really would not make sense.

For my Mosin rifles a chamber insert that can take 7.62x39mm rounds makes sense as they are cheaper and offer much less recoil but within about 200m the target wont notice a huge lot of difference I suspect.

I have had a suppressor fitted to one of my 1944 Mosin carbines and it almost eliminates the muzzle flash... Twisted Evil

I have been hunting with it and was able to shoot without earplugs... nice.

Haven't fired a shotgun more powerful than a 12 gauge... a 10 gauge or 8 bore seem rather excessive... I wouldn't consider a 2 bore... Smile that is getting close to a punt gun...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:55 am