Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+36
GarryB
Sprut-B
The-thing-next-door
Kiko
Podlodka77
Arrow
Broski
Werewolf
Krepost
thegopnik
Dr.Snufflebug
lancelot
caveat emptor
magnumcromagnon
Arkanghelsk
limb
franco
x_54_u43
Russian_Patriot_
Backman
ALAMO
Tingsay
calripson
owais.usmani
par far
PhSt
PapaDragon
Hole
miketheterrible
AlfaT8
kvs
Svyatoslavich
sepheronx
whir
Maximmmm
Firebird
40 posters

Russian Towns, Cities / Urban Development

George1
    George1

Russian Towns, Cities / Urban Development Empty Russian Towns, Cities / Urban Development

Post  George1 Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:24 pm

Construction of Moscow’s ‘Moskva-City’ Skyscraper Block to Wrap Up by 2018

The construction around much of Moscow's International Business Center complex Moskva-City is nearing completion, with the complex set to become fully completed and operational by 2018.

MOSCOW, December 8 (Sputnik) — Marat Khusnullin, Deputy Mayor of Moscow for Urban Policy and Construction, said that the construction around much of Moscow’s International Business Center Moskva-City is wrapping up, and that the complex is set to be fully completed by 2018.

“We have done a great deal over these past four years,” Khusnullin told Rossiyskaya Gazeta over the weekend following a regular inspection tour of the area.

Khusnullin explained that in the four year period, several new highway connections were made with the center, three metro stations were opened, and 10 above-ground public transport routes were created. Khusnullin noted that these connections have connected the business center “with virtually the whole of Moscow.”

A metro trip from the center of Moscow to Moskva-City now takes about 12-15 minutes, a connection has been made to the capital’s Victory Park Memorial Complex off Kutuzovsky Prospekt, and Khusnullin noted that by 2016 more connections will link the territory with two more metro lines, the Kalininsko-Solntsevskaya (Yellow) Line to the southeast, and the Tagansko-Krasnopresnenskaya (Purple) Line to the northwest; the line will also link up with the second ring of the Moscow Metro, which is set to be completed in 2018. An additional road connection running parallel to Kutuzovsky Prospekt will be completed by 2016, shortening the drive between the business district and the MKAD, Moscow’s Ring Road freeway around the city which once demarked its outer border. In addition, the creation and extension of several other roads around the territory is set to improve the traffic situation. Finally, a second station of Moscow’s Little Ring Railway is set to open in the north of the complex, improving the area’s bulk transport infrastructure.

Moskva-City, originally conceptualized as a complex for companies in the financial services industry, akin to London’s City of London tower block, has been reconceived more recently as a space for nonfinancial companies, as well as small and mid-sized firms. The territory houses numerous multinational companies operating in Russia, including General Electric, General Motors, Hyundai, IBM, and KPMG. However, in light of ever-growing amounts of available space, as well as the current international financial situation, the variety of businesses the complex hopes to attract has evolved. As Dmitri Granov, head of Moskva-City’s management, said earlier, “if before we were looking for international corporations, today we are looking for Russian companies, and small and medium businesses,” the New York Times noted.  Today office space in the City costs about $6.90 per square foot per month, making it an attractive offering compared to an average of $7.75 for high grade office space elsewhere in Moscow.

This year Evolution Tower, which has a unique, DNA-like double helix design, was completed. It was designed by the architecture and design firm RMJM Scotland Limited, which worked in collaboration with Russian architects and builders. The 48-floor, 169,000 square meter project is set to include office space, a shopping center, underground parking, a wedding palace and the Museum of the International Business Center.

At 95 stories, Federation Tower East, set to be completed next year, will become the tallest building in Europe, surpassing the recently-opened Mercury City Tower, also part of the complex.

Last edited by George1 on Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Firebird

Russian Towns, Cities / Urban Development Empty Moscow’s ‘Moskva-City’ Skyscraper Block

Post  Firebird Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:21 pm

George1 wrote:Construction of Moscow’s ‘Moskva-City’ Skyscraper Block to Wrap Up by 2018

The construction around much of Moscow's International Business Center complex Moskva-City is nearing completion, with the complex set to become fully completed and operational by 2018.

MOSCOW, December 8 (Sputnik) — Marat Khusnullin, Deputy Mayor of Moscow for Urban Policy and Construction, said that the construction around much of Moscow’s International Business Center Moskva-City is wrapping up, and that the complex is set to be fully completed by 2018.

“We have done a great deal over these past four years,” Khusnullin told Rossiyskaya Gazeta over the weekend following a regular inspection tour of the area.

Khusnullin explained that in the four year period, several new highway connections were made with the center, three metro stations were opened, and 10 above-ground public transport routes were created. Khusnullin noted that these connections have connected the business center “with virtually the whole of Moscow.”

A metro trip from the center of Moscow to Moskva-City now takes about 12-15 minutes, a connection has been made to the capital’s Victory Park Memorial Complex off Kutuzovsky Prospekt, and Khusnullin noted that by 2016 more connections will link the territory with two more metro lines, the Kalininsko-Solntsevskaya (Yellow) Line to the southeast, and the Tagansko-Krasnopresnenskaya (Purple) Line to the northwest; the line will also link up with the second ring of the Moscow Metro, which is set to be completed in 2018. An additional road connection running parallel to Kutuzovsky Prospekt will be completed by 2016, shortening the drive between the business district and the MKAD, Moscow’s Ring Road freeway around the city which once demarked its outer border. In addition, the creation and extension of several other roads around the territory is set to improve the traffic situation. Finally, a second station of Moscow’s Little Ring Railway is set to open in the north of the complex, improving the area’s bulk transport infrastructure.

Moskva-City, originally conceptualized as a complex for companies in the financial services industry, akin to London’s City of London tower block, has been reconceived more recently as a space for nonfinancial companies, as well as small and mid-sized firms. The territory houses numerous multinational companies operating in Russia, including General Electric, General Motors, Hyundai, IBM, and KPMG. However, in light of ever-growing amounts of available space, as well as the current international financial situation, the variety of businesses the complex hopes to attract has evolved. As Dmitri Granov, head of Moskva-City’s management, said earlier, “if before we were looking for international corporations, today we are looking for Russian companies, and small and medium businesses,” the New York Times noted.  Today office space in the City costs about $6.90 per square foot per month, making it an attractive offering compared to an average of $7.75 for high grade office space elsewhere in Moscow.

This year Evolution Tower, which has a unique, DNA-like double helix design, was completed. It was designed by the architecture and design firm RMJM Scotland Limited, which worked in collaboration with Russian architects and builders. The 48-floor, 169,000 square meter project is set to include office space, a shopping center, underground parking, a wedding palace and the Museum of the International Business Center.

At 95 stories, Federation Tower East, set to be completed next year, will become the tallest building in Europe, surpassing the recently-opened Mercury City Tower, also part of the complex.

Interesting. Shame the Russia Tower never got built. It actually made it onto the match programme cover of the UEFA Champions League Final.

I wonder what Moscow City 2 will be like. And whether this will be a next gen version of Moscow City.
    Or whether the planned "offshore financial centre" of Moscow will actually be based there. Finally, I think "edge cities" ie cities built around Moscow will become important too.

Compared to London's Canary Wharf/Docklands and things like NYC's old WTC, Moscow City has done very well, very quickly.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Russian Towns, Cities / Urban Development Empty Russian Towns, Cities / Urban Development

Post  PapaDragon Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:53 pm

No particular news, I just stumbled upon some cool pics of Moscow City:

Russian Towns, Cities / Urban Development C2RlbGFub3VuYXMucnUvaS9jLzIvci9jMlJsYkdGdWIzVnVZWE11Y25VdmFTOWlMM2d2YkM5bVgySlliRFJoVnpSMVkyNVZkbHB0T1RCaU0wMTJZbGM1ZWxreU9UTllNazV3WkVocmRrMXFRWGhPUXpoNFRVTTBlVTlUTkhoT1F6bHdZbGRLYWt4VVNYVmhia0p1TG1wd1pXYz0uanBn

Russian Towns, Cities / Urban Development C2RlbGFub3VuYXMucnUvaS9hL3cvMS9mX2FXMW5MV1p2ZEd0cExubGhibVJsZUM1eWRTOW5aWFF2TVRVME9UWXZNVEV6TmpVME9URXpMall2TUY4eE1HUm1ZMkpmWTJGbE1tUmtabVZmYjNKcFp5NXFjR2M9LmpwZWc=.jpg

Russian Towns, Cities / Urban Development C2RlbGFub3VuYXMucnUvaS9jLzIvci9jMlJsYkdGdWIzVnVZWE11Y25VdmFTOWtMek12WkM5bVgyUXpaRE5NYlRFMVpVZHNkVXh1U2pGTU1scDJaRWM1ZWt3eU1YWmpNazUyWkRFNWFtRllValZNZWtsM1RWUlZkazFFUlhWTlJHZDFUVlJWZG1GWE1XbFplVEI1VEcxd2QxcDNQVDB1YW5CbFp3PT0uanBn

Russian Towns, Cities / Urban Development C2RlbGFub3VuYXMucnUvaS9jLzIvci9jMlJsYkdGdWIzVnVZWE11Y25VdmFTOWpMekl2Wmk5bVgyTXlSakphV0VKd1dYazFlV1JUT0RKT2FtTjNUbXBSTlV4dGNIZGFkejA5TG1wd1pXYz0uanBn

Russian Towns, Cities / Urban Development C2RlbGFub3VuYXMucnUvaS9jLzIvci9jMlJsYkdGdWIzVnVZWE11Y25VdmFTOTZMMjB2Wmk5bVgxcHRSbmxpVkd0MVl6TlNhR1JIYkdwYWJYaHdXVEowZVV4dFRuWmlVemcwVG1wUmVreDZSVEZOYWxrd1RXcE5OVTVxVFhwWU1rVXpXa2RGZDA1RVZtbFpha3BtV1drMWNXTkhZejB1YW5CbFp3PT0uanBn

Russian Towns, Cities / Urban Development C2RlbGFub3VuYXMucnUvaS9jLzIvci9jMlJsYkdGdWIzVnVZWE11Y25VdmFTOWpMMmd2WVM5bVgyTklRWFZrYlhOMVlsZFZkbGw2V1hoUFJHZDVUME01TWs1cVJUUlBSRWswVGtSQk1VeDZSbXhPYW14clRERktTMDR5TVVKUk0xbzJVMmt4ZGt4dGNIZGFkejA5TG1wd1pXYz0uanBn

Russian Towns, Cities / Urban Development AW1nLWZvdGtpLnlhbmRleC5ydS9nZXQvNTIwNS8xMTM2NTQ5MTMuOS8wXzEyNGEyNV84ZGQzNmI5Zl9YWFhMLmpwZw==

Russian Towns, Cities / Urban Development C2RlbGFub3VuYXMucnUvaS9hL3cvMS9hVzFuTFdadmRHdHBMbmxoYm1SbGVDNXlkUzluWlhRdk5UZ3dOUzgxTmprMU1EQXhNUzVqWkM4d1gyTTVORGt6WDJOaU1XSmhOalZqWDFoWVdFd3VhbkJuLmpwZw==

Russian Towns, Cities / Urban Development C2RlbGFub3VuYXMucnUvaS96L20vZi9abUZ5YlRFdWMzUmhkR2xqWm14cFkydHlMbU52YlM4eU56TXZNVGd4TXpRNE5EQTFPVGxmTlRGaFlqQmpZamt3TjE5aUxtcHdadz09LmpwZw==

Best one(IMO):
    Russian Towns, Cities / Urban Development C2RlbGFub3VuYXMucnUvaS96L20vZi9abUZ5YlRndWMzUmhkR2xqWm14cFkydHlMbU52YlM4M056WXpMekU0TXpNeU9EY3pOall5WHpJMFpqQmlOamM0WldGZllpNXFjR2M9LmpwZw==  

Some from Yekaterinburg:
    Russian Towns, Cities / Urban Development CzAxOS5yYWRpa2FsLnJ1L2k2MjQvMTUwNy9kNi8xNTE1ZDI4OThiMzguanBnP19faWQ9NjU2MjI=

Russian Towns, Cities / Urban Development CzAxNy5yYWRpa2FsLnJ1L2k0MTkvMTUwNy9hOC81NDMwM2M5NTQ4MmEuanBnP19faWQ9NjU2MjI=

Russian Towns, Cities / Urban Development CzAyMC5yYWRpa2FsLnJ1L2k3MTUvMTUwNy9jZi8zNGIyZTUzMWIzNmIuanBn

Yoshkar-Ola,
    Russian Towns, Cities / Urban Development CzAwLnlhcGxha2FsLmNvbS9waWNzL3BpY3Nfb3JpZ2luYWwvMC85LzkvNDc1ODk5MC5qcGc=

http://sdelanounas.ru/blogs/65622/

Last edited by PapaDragon on Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sprut-B likes this post

flamming_python
    flamming_python

Russian Towns, Cities / Urban Development Empty Re: Russian Towns, Cities / Urban Development

Post  flamming_python Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:33 pm

That last pic is from Yoshkar-Ola, not Ekaterinburg.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Russian Towns, Cities / Urban Development Empty Re: Russian Towns, Cities / Urban Development

Post  PapaDragon Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:06 pm

flamming_python wrote:That last pic is from Yoshkar-Ola, not Ekaterinburg.

Fixed it. Sorry, no speak Russian dunno Embarassed
    Maximmmm
    Maximmmm

Post  Maximmmm Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:04 pm

Just some rambling based on my own experience.
    I live abroad and have dropped by Moscow more times than I can remember over the last 15 years. The city has undergone remarkable change. The streets are clean, the underground passages are clean, the "electrichki" running to the suburbs are clean and I didn't run into a single drunk bum on them. There are even express trains running that have aircon and are pretty damn comfy. There are more pedestrian crosswalks, the parks have been rid of illegal stands and have been cleaned up. The drivers now stop for pedestrians!!!! The people seem nicer (I swear I'm not kidding). No more fake documents being sold on the subway. That amazing unified transit card, jesus I still remember when we had to use coins on the subway. Wifi on the subway (I mean jesus, even Vancouver doesn't have that). Wifi in public areas. Etc etc etc, I could go on for a while.
    The recent economic downturn has created a bunch of empty storefronts with "for sale/rent" signs, but other than that it's hard to notice any problems.

If I had to tag some areas of improvement:
    -Tourism access. Too few things are in english, it's a fucking pain to find out about gems like Monino and Kubinka and getting to them if you're not a dedicated lover or a Russian national. St. Pete had these nifty little tourism stands with free maps and info, Moscow desperately needs these. Put one on Red square, make that shit stand out. There are so many amazing musea and places to visit that people just don't know about and are too hard to visit on their own if they do.
    -Parking, the eternal enemy of the capital. It's gotten better, sure, but there's still too much room for improvement.
    -Better architecture, Moscow city looks great but there's too much ugly shit going up. The old centre is beautiful but the minute you step out a bit further it's hideous high-rises for miles.

As for other areas of the country, I'm down on our black sea and the pretty little town I'm in has really grown into a nice resort over the last decade. They even fixed the water issue (water would only run for a few hours in the morning/evening), although the electricity is still uneven and you need a current stabilizer if you don't want to risk frying your electrical equipment. Overall the provinces have improved a lot, although more slowly than the capital.

Edit: Speaking of Monino. It's a gem, an absolute gem. I finally got to visit it for the first time ever this summer, but even for a natural Russian in was an ordeal. First of all I was an idiot and got on the wrong train (In my defence Frazeno and Fryazevo sound too much alike to a jetlagged brain). Then when I finally got to monino it was a bit of a chore to find the actual museum, had to ask for directions.
    It wasn't too bad since I know the area and can at least ask for directions, a foreigner would have been absolutely doomed. That's a shame, more people should make it out there.
    The museum itself is amazing, just a small field with these incredible remnants of aviation history. Birch trees everywhere.
    Sadly a lot of the planes need some TLC pretty badly.
    whir

Post  whir Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:07 pm

Maximmmm wrote:the minute you step out a bit further it's hideous high-rises for miles.
    Any high-rise is better than those endless one-story gnome kingdoms that pollute the outskirts of most cities.
    Maximmmm
    Maximmmm

Post  Maximmmm Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:43 pm

whir wrote:
    Any high-rise is better than those endless one-story gnome kingdoms that pollute the outskirts of most cities.

Yeah, but it doesn't mean we have to build hideous ones.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:57 pm

Maximmmm wrote:
    whir wrote:

But that is simply perception and nothing more. I prefer smaller buildings and not highrises.
    Maximmmm
    Maximmmm

Post  Maximmmm Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:50 pm

sepheronx wrote:
    Maximmmm wrote:
    whir wrote:

But that is simply perception and nothing more. I prefer smaller buildings and not highrises.

Read an interesting article recently about rising interest in low-rise buildings (3-4 stories). They're mostly built a bit farther out from the city and suffer infrastructure issues (no schools, hospitals, good roads nearby). Even with that though they command something like a fifth of the market for new buildings.
    Svyatoslavich

Post  Svyatoslavich Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:35 am

Maximmmm wrote:The people seem nicer (I swear I'm not kidding).
    Very intersting account. I hope you're right regarding people in Moscow, as this was the thing I most disliked there. Been there in summer 2011 - not that long ago. I speak some Russian, it sometimes takes me time to put the nouns and adjectives in their correct declensions, so I am a bit slow, and people showed no patience whatsoever towards me. English was completely useless, no one talked to me in this language: I even went to a restaurant close to Tretyakov gallery which had a sign saying that they speak English, but no, the waiter didn't, and again wasn't very helpful when I tried to speak Russian. Then I noticed that older people (50+) are way nicer and more willing to help, and started asking only them. And those who wore any kind of Soviet sign (pins, medals, banners, etc) were the nicest and most helpful of all. From this I infer that in the Soviet era people had better social skills, at least in Moscow.

GarryB likes this post

kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:22 am

Svyatoslavich wrote:
    Maximmmm wrote:The people seem nicer (I swear I'm not kidding).
    Very intersting account. I hope you're right regarding people in Moscow, as this was the thing I most disliked there. Been there in summer 2011 - not that long ago. I speak some Russian, it sometimes takes me time to put the nouns and adjectives in their correct declensions, so I am a bit slow, and people showed no patience whatsoever towards me. English was completely useless, no one talked to me in this language: I even went to a restaurant close to Tretyakov gallery which had a sign saying that they speak English, but no, the waiter didn't, and again wasn't very helpful when I tried to speak Russian. Then I noticed that older people (50+) are way nicer and more willing to help, and started asking only them. And those who wore any kind of Soviet sign (pins, medals, banners, etc) were the nicest and most helpful of all. From this I infer that in the Soviet era people had better social skills, at least in Moscow.

This assessment is right on target. The recent generations of me, me, me and instant gratification behave exactly like
    you experienced. The older ones grew up in a different reference frame and actually give you the time of day.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Fri May 19, 2017 7:19 pm

You know how they say that Russia outside Moscow is a dump?

This is from as far away from Moscow as possible. Excellent drone footage from Vladivostok Prefecture Cool russia

(Can't find proper tread so I am putting it here) scratch
    AlfaT8
    AlfaT8

Post  AlfaT8 Fri May 19, 2017 7:45 pm

PapaDragon wrote:
    You know how they say that Russia outside Moscow is a dump?

This is from as far away from Moscow as possible. Excellent drone footage from Vladivostok Prefecture  Cool russia

(Can't find proper tread so I am putting it here) scratch

Well Vladivostok is basically the St.Petersburg of the east, so it's expected, that said, it looks like Russia's PR departments are getting better.
    miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

Russian Towns, Cities / Urban Development Empty Urban Development in Russia

Post  miketheterrible Fri May 19, 2017 8:16 pm

Krasnoyarsk and Novosibirsk are also very beautiful. Lots of infrastructure development there too but gets little attention.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Sat May 26, 2018 11:51 pm

Moscow. Imperial, Soviet and Modern era all in one photo:

Russian Towns, Cities / Urban Development IKkwCsbvbOw

Couple more:

Russian Towns, Cities / Urban Development 40361753580_009971122c_o

Russian Towns, Cities / Urban Development 27a2131845c2

Russian Towns, Cities / Urban Development 28489292798_75db403dbb_b

Also, finally some great drone footage of Novosibirsk:

And Yekaterinburg:

Will post more when I get around to it...
    Hole
    Hole

Post  Hole Sun May 27, 2018 12:52 pm

Most of the time no snow. No bears in the streets. People use cars.
    This can´t be russian citys!

Or... the western MSM is lying. pale

Wink

George1
    George1

Post  George1 Sun May 27, 2018 8:42 pm

Magnificent Saint P got the new landmark. A new distinguished face of this great city - The Lighthouse Skyscraper.

PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Sun May 27, 2018 10:17 pm

George1
    George1

Post  George1 Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:59 am

Saint Petersburg's Lakhta Center (462 meters) beat the Moscow skyscrapers and is now the tallest skyscraper in Europe and the tallest most Northern skyscraper in the World!

Russian Towns, Cities / Urban Development 34536279_1040548206098868_1473564435573374976_n
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:48 pm

Volgograd drone footage. World Cup promo but plenty of shots of the city in general:

George1
    George1

Post  George1 Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:26 am

Europe's Tallest Skyscraper Approaches Completion in St Petersburg

"The centerpiece of the development, the 462-meter-tall Lakhta Center Tower, is not only the tallest building in Europe, but also the first supertall skyscraper in St Petersburg, the world's second-tallest twisting skyscraper after the Shanghai Tower, and the world's northernmost skyscraper."

https://www.archdaily.com/898132/europes-tallest-skyscraper-approaches-completion-in-st-petersburg

Russian Towns, Cities / Urban Development ZY0JEh2h
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:17 pm

The Neva Towers keep growing...Tower 1 will be 296.9 meters (974 feet) tall and have 65 floors while Tower 2 will be 345 meters tall and have 79 floors. The complex is currently under construction and is expected to be completed in 2019.

Russian Towns, Cities / Urban Development 39129477_1112417288911959_8137682159298150400_n

PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:21 pm

Looks like urban development on Sakhalin is better than people assume:

Russian Towns, Cities / Urban Development F5b94d5ff7ffd4
    miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:09 am

They are modernizing the railway lines in Sahkalin to meet Russia's standards and this means it will eventualy lead up to developing that railway bridge to mainland Russia.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:28 pm