PapaDragon

Re: Urban Development in Russia

Post  PapaDragon on Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:53 pm

No particular news, I just stumbled upon some cool pics of Moscow City:

Best one(IMO):

Some from Yekaterinburg:

Yoshkar-Ola,

http://sdelanounas.ru/blogs/65622/

Last edited by PapaDragon on Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python on Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:33 pm

That last pic is from Yoshkar-Ola, not Ekaterinburg.
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon on Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:06 pm

flamming_python wrote:That last pic is from Yoshkar-Ola, not Ekaterinburg.

Fixed it. Sorry, no speak Russian dunno Embarassed
    Maximmmm

Post  Maximmmm on Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:04 am

Just some rambling based on my own experience.
    I live abroad and have dropped by Moscow more times than I can remember over the last 15 years. The city has undergone remarkable change. The streets are clean, the underground passages are clean, the "electrichki" running to the suburbs are clean and I didn't run into a single drunk bum on them. There are even express trains running that have aircon and are pretty damn comfy. There are more pedestrian crosswalks, the parks have been rid of illegal stands and have been cleaned up. The drivers now stop for pedestrians!!!! The people seem nicer (I swear I'm not kidding). No more fake documents being sold on the subway. That amazing unified transit card, jesus I still remember when we had to use coins on the subway. Wifi on the subway (I mean jesus, even Vancouver doesn't have that). Wifi in public areas. Etc etc etc, I could go on for a while.
    The recent economic downturn has created a bunch of empty storefronts with "for sale/rent" signs, but other than that it's hard to notice any problems.

If I had to tag some areas of improvement:
    -Tourism access. Too few things are in english, it's a fucking pain to find out about gems like Monino and Kubinka and getting to them if you're not a dedicated lover or a Russian national. St. Pete had these nifty little tourism stands with free maps and info, Moscow desperately needs these. Put one on Red square, make that shit stand out. There are so many amazing musea and places to visit that people just don't know about and are too hard to visit on their own if they do.
    -Parking, the eternal enemy of the capital. It's gotten better, sure, but there's still too much room for improvement.
    -Better architecture, Moscow city looks great but there's too much ugly shit going up. The old centre is beautiful but the minute you step out a bit further it's hideous high-rises for miles.

As for other areas of the country, I'm down on our black sea and the pretty little town I'm in has really grown into a nice resort over the last decade. They even fixed the water issue (water would only run for a few hours in the morning/evening), although the electricity is still uneven and you need a current stabilizer if you don't want to risk frying your electrical equipment. Overall the provinces have improved a lot, although more slowly than the capital.

Edit: Speaking of Monino. It's a gem, an absolute gem. I finally got to visit it for the first time ever this summer, but even for a natural Russian in was an ordeal. First of all I was an idiot and got on the wrong train (In my defence Frazeno and Fryazevo sound too much alike to a jetlagged brain). Then when I finally got to monino it was a bit of a chore to find the actual museum, had to ask for directions.
    It wasn't too bad since I know the area and can at least ask for directions, a foreigner would have been absolutely doomed. That's a shame, more people should make it out there.
    The museum itself is amazing, just a small field with these incredible remnants of aviation history. Birch trees everywhere.
    Sadly a lot of the planes need some TLC pretty badly.

whir

Post  whir on Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:07 pm

Maximmmm wrote:the minute you step out a bit further it's hideous high-rises for miles.
    Any high-rise is better than those endless one-story gnome kingdoms that pollute the outskirts of most cities.
    Maximmmm

Post  Maximmmm on Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:43 pm

whir wrote:
    Any high-rise is better than those endless one-story gnome kingdoms that pollute the outskirts of most cities.

Yeah, but it doesn't mean we have to build hideous ones.
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx on Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:57 pm

Maximmmm wrote:
    whir wrote:

But that is simply perception and nothing more. I prefer smaller buildings and not highrises.
    Maximmmm

Post  Maximmmm on Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:50 pm

sepheronx wrote:
    Maximmmm wrote:
    whir wrote:

But that is simply perception and nothing more. I prefer smaller buildings and not highrises.

Read an interesting article recently about rising interest in low-rise buildings (3-4 stories). They're mostly built a bit farther out from the city and suffer infrastructure issues (no schools, hospitals, good roads nearby). Even with that though they command something like a fifth of the market for new buildings.

Svyatoslavich

Post  Svyatoslavich on Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:35 am

Maximmmm wrote:The people seem nicer (I swear I'm not kidding).
    Very intersting account. I hope you're right regarding people in Moscow, as this was the thing I most disliked there. Been there in summer 2011 - not that long ago. I speak some Russian, it sometimes takes me time to put the nouns and adjectives in their correct declensions, so I am a bit slow, and people showed no patience whatsoever towards me. English was completely useless, no one talked to me in this language: I even went to a restaurant close to Tretyakov gallery which had a sign saying that they speak English, but no, the waiter didn't, and again wasn't very helpful when I tried to speak Russian. Then I noticed that older people (50+) are way nicer and more willing to help, and started asking only them. And those who wore any kind of Soviet sign (pins, medals, banners, etc) were the nicest and most helpful of all. From this I infer that in the Soviet era people had better social skills, at least in Moscow.
    kvs

Post  kvs on Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:22 am

Svyatoslavich wrote:
    Maximmmm wrote:The people seem nicer (I swear I'm not kidding).
    Very intersting account. I hope you're right regarding people in Moscow, as this was the thing I most disliked there. Been there in summer 2011 - not that long ago. I speak some Russian, it sometimes takes me time to put the nouns and adjectives in their correct declensions, so I am a bit slow, and people showed no patience whatsoever towards me. English was completely useless, no one talked to me in this language: I even went to a restaurant close to Tretyakov gallery which had a sign saying that they speak English, but no, the waiter didn't, and again wasn't very helpful when I tried to speak Russian. Then I noticed that older people (50+) are way nicer and more willing to help, and started asking only them. And those who wore any kind of Soviet sign (pins, medals, banners, etc) were the nicest and most helpful of all. From this I infer that in the Soviet era people had better social skills, at least in Moscow.

This assessment is right on target. The recent generations of me, me, me and instant gratification behave exactly like
    you experienced. The older ones grew up in a different reference frame and actually give you the time of day.
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon on Fri May 19, 2017 6:19 pm

You know how they say that Russia outside Moscow is a dump?

This is from as far away from Moscow as possible. Excellent drone footage from Vladivostok Prefecture Cool russia

(Can't find proper tread so I am putting it here) scratch
    AlfaT8

Post  AlfaT8 on Fri May 19, 2017 6:45 pm

PapaDragon wrote:
    You know how they say that Russia outside Moscow is a dump?

This is from as far away from Moscow as possible. Excellent drone footage from Vladivostok Prefecture  Cool russia

(Can't find proper tread so I am putting it here) scratch

Well Vladivostok is basically the St.Petersburg of the east, so it's expected, that said, it looks like Russia's PR departments are getting better.
    miketheterrible

Urban Development in Russia

Post  miketheterrible on Fri May 19, 2017 7:16 pm

Krasnoyarsk and Novosibirsk are also very beautiful. Lots of infrastructure development there too but gets little attention.
    PapaDragon

Urban Development in Russa

Post  PapaDragon on Sat May 26, 2018 10:47 pm

I am starting new tread to put news and media about Russian cities. Better than clogging other treads.
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon on Sat May 26, 2018 10:51 pm

Moscow. Imperial, Soviet and Modern era all in one photo:

Couple more:

Also, finally some great drone footage of Novosibirsk:

And Yekaterinburg:

Will post more when I get around to it...
    Hole

Post  Hole on Sun May 27, 2018 11:52 am

Most of the time no snow. No bears in the streets. People use cars.
    This can´t be russian citys!

Or... the western MSM is lying. pale

Wink

George1

Post  George1 on Sun May 27, 2018 7:42 pm

Magnificent Saint P got the new landmark. A new distinguished face of this great city - The Lighthouse Skyscraper.

PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon on Sun May 27, 2018 9:17 pm

George1

Post  George1 on Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:59 am

Saint Petersburg's Lakhta Center (462 meters) beat the Moscow skyscrapers and is now the tallest skyscraper in Europe and the tallest most Northern skyscraper in the World!

PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon on Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:48 pm

Volgograd drone footage. World Cup promo but plenty of shots of the city in general:

George1

Post  George1 on Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:26 am

Europe's Tallest Skyscraper Approaches Completion in St Petersburg

"The centerpiece of the development, the 462-meter-tall Lakhta Center Tower, is not only the tallest building in Europe, but also the first supertall skyscraper in St Petersburg, the world's second-tallest twisting skyscraper after the Shanghai Tower, and the world's northernmost skyscraper."

https://www.archdaily.com/898132/europes-tallest-skyscraper-approaches-completion-in-st-petersburg

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:45 pm