Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Health issues

    Share
    avatar
    Viktor

    Posts : 5669
    Points : 6312
    Join date : 2009-08-25
    Age : 37
    Location : Croatia

    Health issues

    Post  Viktor on Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:04 pm

    avatar
    Viktor

    Posts : 5669
    Points : 6312
    Join date : 2009-08-25
    Age : 37
    Location : Croatia

    Russian HIV Vaccine Passes 2nd Clinical Trial Phase, Health Ministry Says

    Post  Viktor on Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:41 pm

    avatar
    Viktor

    Posts : 5669
    Points : 6312
    Join date : 2009-08-25
    Age : 37
    Location : Croatia

    Re: Health issues

    Post  Viktor on Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:47 pm

    avatar
    TR1

    Posts : 5679
    Points : 5707
    Join date : 2011-12-06

    Re: Health issues

    Post  TR1 on Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:14 pm

    GMOs are the future of food.

    Here in Oregon there is so much anti-GMO propaganda it is absurd.

    avatar
    Werewolf

    Posts : 5358
    Points : 5587
    Join date : 2012-10-24

    Re: Health issues

    Post  Werewolf on Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:58 pm

    TR1 wrote:GMOs are the future of food.

    Here in Oregon there is so much anti-GMO propaganda it is absurd.


    Yes, have fun with your precious GMO, the only future you will have with it is a degenerated gene pool and constantly droping life expectancy.

    GMO food proven poisonous to organism.



    Hope you already have kids, otherwise the future could be bad for you and your family name.
    avatar
    TR1

    Posts : 5679
    Points : 5707
    Join date : 2011-12-06

    Re: Health issues

    Post  TR1 on Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:06 pm

    There is ZERO proof that GMOs have an effect on health.

    In fact if you actually did your research, you would know that study was criticized and withdrawn (the mouse one).

    I got bad news for you btw, chances are you have eaten plenty of food that can be classified as GMO.
    avatar
    Werewolf

    Posts : 5358
    Points : 5587
    Join date : 2012-10-24

    Re: Health issues

    Post  Werewolf on Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:11 pm

    TR1 wrote:There is ZERO proof that GMOs have an effect on health.

    In fact if you actually did your research, you would know that study was criticized and withdrawn (the mouse one).

    I got bad news for you btw, chances are you have eaten plenty of food that can be classified as GMO.

    Studies that counter such studies like the Pharma industry, when their bullshit moneymakers have been proven to cause to many sideeffects with almost no benefits that were intented, the same happens here the food industry is a monopoly in the US with such garbage.

    If you did your research you would know that this GMO crap is nothing else but a money maker and a biological weapon, they indeed to harm health to such an extent that drinking of bleach seams healthy.
    avatar
    kvs

    Posts : 3258
    Points : 3381
    Join date : 2014-09-11
    Location : Canuckistan

    Re: Health issues

    Post  kvs on Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:03 am

    Chemical analysis of GM corn:

    http://www.i-sis.org.uk/Stunning_differences_of_GM_from_non_GM_corn.php

    There is no formaldehyde in non-GM corn but 200 ppm in GM corn. GM corn is also
    depleted in nutrients.

    The source of the problem is "Roundup" called properly glyphosate:

    http://www.i-sis.org.uk/glyphosatePoisonsCrops.php

    It is a potent disruptor of soil biology. Not surprising it affects plants. Glyphosate has long chemical lifetime
    and we consume it from the crops grown in fields where it is applied. In our guts it disrupts the microbe balance
    and affects our nutrient intake. The argument is that humans do not have the chemical pathway that glyphosate
    disrupts so we are just fine. This argument is retarded, we do not exist in a vacuum and in fact we need gut
    bacteria to provide us with chemical precursors to our vital life functions. The human body does not produce
    these chemicals (e.g. tryptophan : http://www.i-sis.org.uk/How_Microbes_Influence_our_Minds.php).

    Nice academic source for for various references including peer reviewed publications:

    http://people.csail.mit.edu/seneff/

    http://people.csail.mit.edu/seneff/WAPF_Slides_2012/Offsite_Seneff_Handout.pdf

    http://www.mdpi.com/1099-4300/15/4/1416

    Abstract: Glyphosate, the active ingredient in Roundup®, is the most popular herbicide used worldwide. The industry asserts it is minimally toxic to humans, but here we argue otherwise. Residues are found in the main foods of the Western diet, comprised primarily of sugar, corn, soy and wheat. Glyphosate's inhibition of cytochrome P450 (CYP) enzymes is an overlooked component of its toxicity to mammals. CYP enzymes play crucial roles in biology, one of which is to detoxify xenobiotics. Thus, glyphosate enhances the damaging effects of other food borne chemical residues and environmental toxins. Negative impact on the body is insidious and manifests slowly over time as inflammation damages cellular systems throughout the body. Here, we show how interference with CYP enzymes acts synergistically with disruption of the biosynthesis of aromatic amino acids by gut bacteria, as well as impairment in serum sulfate transport. Consequences are most of the diseases and conditions associated with a Western diet, which include gastrointestinal disorders, obesity, diabetes, heart disease, depression, autism, infertility, cancer and Alzheimer’s disease. We explain the documented effects of glyphosate and its ability to induce disease, and we show that glyphosate is the “textbook example” of exogenous semiotic entropy: the disruption of homeostasis by environmental toxins.
    avatar
    TR1

    Posts : 5679
    Points : 5707
    Join date : 2011-12-06

    GMO Facts-issues

    Post  TR1 on Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:06 am

    Werewolf wrote:
    TR1 wrote:There is ZERO proof that GMOs have an effect on health.

    In fact if you actually did your research, you would know that study was criticized and withdrawn (the mouse one).

    I got bad news for you btw, chances are you have eaten plenty of food that can be classified as GMO.

    Studies that counter such studies like the Pharma industry, when their bullshit moneymakers have been proven to cause to many sideeffects with almost no benefits that were intented, the same happens here the food industry is a monopoly in the US with such garbage.

    If you did your research you would know that this GMO crap is nothing else but a money maker and a biological weapon, they indeed to harm health to such an extent that drinking of bleach seams healthy.

    Money maker- yes.
    Biological weapon- rofl.
    avatar
    sepheronx

    Posts : 7252
    Points : 7546
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 28
    Location : Canada

    Re: Health issues

    Post  sepheronx on Thu May 14, 2015 6:01 pm

    http://tass.ru/en/non-political/794664

    This is bad. Russians shouldnt be this stupid, they have good education. So there needs to be a major push to fighting HIV and getting these people away from breeding or something. Cause HIV is a serious issue.
    avatar
    kvs

    Posts : 3258
    Points : 3381
    Join date : 2014-09-11
    Location : Canuckistan

    Re: Health issues

    Post  kvs on Thu May 14, 2015 11:46 pm

    sepheronx wrote:http://tass.ru/en/non-political/794664

    This is bad.  Russians shouldnt be this stupid, they have good education.  So there needs to be a major push to fighting HIV and getting these people away from breeding or something.  Cause HIV is a serious issue.

    Sorry but this is complete hysterical BULLSHIT.

    We forecast this number to reach one million by the end of the year," he said. "If our forecasts come true, the number of HIV cases may double in one or two years."

    LOLWUT

    A 100% per year growth rate? WTF is this clown smoking? AIDS didn't appear in Russia last year. It has been going strong since
    the 1990s and earlier. There has not been any new strain that evolved in Russia so this surge in cases is simply not credible. If
    there was some sort of surge in poverty but then we would have seen this phenomenon in 2009.

    Vadim Pokorvsky looks to be looking for more money. He should be fired on the spot.
    avatar
    sepheronx

    Posts : 7252
    Points : 7546
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 28
    Location : Canada

    Re: Health issues

    Post  sepheronx on Fri May 15, 2015 1:55 am

    kvs wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:http://tass.ru/en/non-political/794664

    This is bad.  Russians shouldnt be this stupid, they have good education.  So there needs to be a major push to fighting HIV and getting these people away from breeding or something.  Cause HIV is a serious issue.

    Sorry but this is complete hysterical BULLSHIT.

    We forecast this number to reach one million by the end of the year," he said. "If our forecasts come true, the number of HIV cases may double in one or two years."

    LOLWUT

    A 100% per year growth rate?  WTF is this clown smoking?   AIDS didn't appear in Russia last year.  It has been going strong since
    the 1990s and earlier.   There has not been any new strain that evolved in Russia so this surge in cases is simply not credible.  If
    there was some sort of surge in poverty but then we would have seen this phenomenon in 2009.  

    Vadim Pokorvsky looks to be looking for more money.   He should be fired on the spot.

    Good point. Also, there seems to be continuous breakthroughs in HIV vaccine tests in Russia over the years, so hopefully there will be some sort of vaccine or cure for the future.
    avatar
    kvs

    Posts : 3258
    Points : 3381
    Join date : 2014-09-11
    Location : Canuckistan

    Re: Health issues

    Post  kvs on Fri May 15, 2015 1:59 am

    I should add that HIV is a problem and I am not smug about it. But 100% annual growth rate claims are
    detached from reality.

    As you note, there has been a lot of progress in treating HIV even if there is no cure. It has been
    "tamed" so that the infected can survive basically indefinitely. Twenty years ago it was a still a death
    sentence (with a roughly 10 year delay).
    avatar
    sepheronx

    Posts : 7252
    Points : 7546
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 28
    Location : Canada

    Re: Health issues

    Post  sepheronx on Fri May 15, 2015 2:01 am

    kvs wrote:I should add that HIV is a problem and I am not smug about it.   But 100% annual growth rate claims are
    detached from reality.

    As you note, there has been a lot of progress in treating HIV even if there is no cure.  It has been
    "tamed" so that the infected can survive basically indefinitely.  Twenty years ago it was a still a death
    sentence (with a roughly 10 year delay).  

    I recall reading about a vaccine a year or two ago, where nurses and doctors could receive the vac, so that they could not contract it from a patient. Dunno how true or effective it is, but if it is true, it should become mandatory all over the world for young people.
    avatar
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 5757
    Points : 5861
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Health issues

    Post  PapaDragon on Fri May 29, 2015 7:47 pm


    Russia Still Doesn't Have an AIDS Apocalypse


    Countrary to what western media believes and would have you believe prevalence of HIV in Russia is:

       Low
       Falling
       and largely limited to injecting drug users


    http://russia-insider.com/en/russia-still-doesnt-have-aids-apocalypse/ri7379


    The Guardian writes:

       Vadim Pokrovsky, head of the federal Aids centre in Moscow, predicted this month that at least two million Russians are likely to be officially registered as HIV-positive within five years, and a total of three million will have the virus.

    All pretty worrying, except when we stop to consider that he also said the following – in 2002:

       We’re talking about one-to-two million infected now, and in 2005, we could be talking about five-million being infected, and these are realistic, even conservative figures.

    In reality, as of 2015, around 0.6% of the Russian population is officially registered as HIV positive. This is probably fairly comprehensive, since around 20-25 million people (one sixth of the population) are tested for it every year; though it should be noted that the unofficial figure is estimated to be around 50-100% higher.

    Even so, while that’s pretty bad by industrialized country standards, of course – about 3-10x higher per capita than in West European countries, twice higher than in the US, and about the same as in Ukraine and Estonia – but is nowhere close to the cataclysmic levels you see in Sub-Saharan Africa.

    The alarmist articles that you see and have been seeing in the press since about 2000 about millions and even tens of millions of Russians succumbing to AIDS in the next X years are fantastic in the literal sense of the word.

    The reality is that in Russia, as in the rest of the ex-Soviet world, AIDS is primarily driven by injecting drug users (IDUs). This is unlike in Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA), where transmission is primarily sexual, whose particular virulence there is probably due to its specific environment (cultural acceptance of soft polygamy, widespread malnourishment/compromised immune systems, and states too fiscally weak to support mass antiretroviral therapy).

    Hence the complete failure of models that relied on applying SSA HIV dynamics to Russia at predicting the course of the epidemic there. The graph below is from a 2006 report (pp.56) that collated all of the most high profile projections. The most pessimistic projection, that by Ruhl et al., featured Pokrovsky as a coauthor, incidentally, while the other highly pessimistic estimate came from Nicholas Eberstadt, an AEI demographer who has always been extremely bearish on Russia’s demographic prospects.



    I copied down the most important graphs from that report in this old post. In short, more realistic modeling that treats IDUs as the main driver and doesn’t foresee any major deviations from current sexual and drug usage preferences from today’s norms sees a rapid rise in infection rates throughout the 2010s, peaking around 2020, but never reaching much more than 1% of the population even at its peak, followed by a steady decline reaching an asymptote at around 0.5% of the population (note that this assumes no decline of Russia’s huge problems with injecting drug usage which is likely very pessimistic).

    This process has “momentum,” on account of the relatively huge numbers of IDUs in Russia, and is very difficult to stop. But the chances it will spread to the general population to any degree – i.e., to people who don’t have first-order sexual relations with IDUs – is all but zero. And this is indeed what we are seeing happen.

    The actual trends are closely tracking another model, the TFRI, as well as of an original model to the cited report (pp.78):



    This is not to say that Russia’s “conservative” approach to fighting AIDS is without fault, nor that people like Pokrovsky have no right to make a din over it in the media (as he has in fact been doing for the past two decades). It is virtually certain that avoiding the government funding needle exchanges causes more harm than good, though its worth noting that syringes can be freely bought at any well-stocked pharmacy (though, of course, heroin addicts are not known for their high future time orientations). Methadone treatment is a much more questionable case, there being a legitimate debate over its efficacy; it is more addictive even than heroin. Treatment isn’t a problem, even if prevention is. There is near universal access to anti-retrorival therapy amongst registered HIV positive people.

    The Orthodox Church’s “malign” influence on this issue is typically exaggerated; for instance, it does not oppose condom use. It is not at all clear to me to what extent progressive attacks on the “conservative” approach are merited. One of the root problems is that so many people feel so despondent or reckless that they are getting addicted to hard drugs. Religion and/or sports – the current emphasis – can indeed in many cases offer an alternative. Society has indeed become less favorably disposed to homosexuality in the past decade, in large part due to state policy. One can say this promotes “ignorance.” But it’s also a fact that HIV spreads much more easily via anal sex, and if it becomes less accepted as a result of changes in social mores, well, that statistically means fewer infections. Both at the national level (in Russia, as well as in Ukraine) and at the international level (they might take the anti-progressiveness a notch to far but the prevalence of AIDS is near zero in the Arab world) it is pretty clear that all else equal – i.e. adjusting for human capital, etc. – it is the more conservative/religious regions that have fewer problems with AIDS in the first place.

    And I’m sure it’s possible to come up with plenty of counter-arguments to the above. But that’s not the main point, which is that at the end of the day, what we are ultimately dealing with here is not some kind of runaway pandemic that will result in SSA-level infections rates “in a few years” but a very much epidemic that will burn fiercely in affected communities (primarily IDUs and their close sexual partners) but remains contained in the IDU-sphere and peaks around 2020 and then declines.

    Likewise the real debate is not about how long it is before Russia collapses from AIDS (and brain drain, and Eurabia, and the Yellow Peril, and…) but whether the epidemic peaks at, say, 1% of the population, or 1.5% of the population, and whether it happens in 2018 or 2022. It’s a lot less fun than constructing apocalyptic scenarios, sure, but it’s also more realistic.
    avatar
    Regular

    Posts : 2028
    Points : 2032
    Join date : 2013-03-10
    Location : Western Hemisphere.. mostly

    Re: Health issues

    Post  Regular on Fri May 29, 2015 10:02 pm

    sepheronx wrote:
    kvs wrote:I should add that HIV is a problem and I am not smug about it.   But 100% annual growth rate claims are
    detached from reality.

    As you note, there has been a lot of progress in treating HIV even if there is no cure.  It has been
    "tamed" so that the infected can survive basically indefinitely.  Twenty years ago it was a still a death
    sentence (with a roughly 10 year delay).  

    I recall reading about a vaccine a year or two ago, where nurses and doctors could receive the vac, so that they could not contract it from a patient.  Dunno how true or effective it is, but if it is true, it should become mandatory all over the world for young people.
    You can probably survive for long time in UK where medicine is well developed(*in some cases it's archaic and it some it's one of leading in the world) and free, but in Russia and in rest of Eastern Europe HIV is a death sentence. Even today. Antiretrovirals therapies are crap, immune systems eventually can't cope and it leads to AIDS or early death even before it  lol1
    What about HIV vaccine? dunno Any more info about it? AFAIK there were so many tries, but all failed. There is such thing as PEP in UK for example. And it's free. http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1840.aspx?CategoryID=73 Not a vaccine but..

    Even having sex with HIV infected WOMAN You have small chance of infection. 0.1 % if sex was unprotected and vaginal. It's faggot and druggie disease really.  love

    Siphilis on other hand is.. bitch of a disease Very Happy Can be caught by kissing too. Hard to detect when it's too late and etc. Infects the spine and fucks up Your life before You know it. And my Russia and Eastern Europe is leading there.
    avatar
    sepheronx

    Posts : 7252
    Points : 7546
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 28
    Location : Canada

    This is bad. Russians shouldnt be this stupid

    Post  sepheronx on Fri May 29, 2015 11:44 pm

    Regular wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:
    kvs wrote:I should add that HIV is a problem and I am not smug about it.   But 100% annual growth rate claims are
    detached from reality.

    As you note, there has been a lot of progress in treating HIV even if there is no cure.  It has been
    "tamed" so that the infected can survive basically indefinitely.  Twenty years ago it was a still a death
    sentence (with a roughly 10 year delay).  

    I recall reading about a vaccine a year or two ago, where nurses and doctors could receive the vac, so that they could not contract it from a patient.  Dunno how true or effective it is, but if it is true, it should become mandatory all over the world for young people.
    You can probably survive for long time in UK where medicine is well developed(*in some cases it's archaic and it some it's one of leading in the world) and free, but in Russia and in rest of Eastern Europe HIV is a death sentence. Even today. Antiretrovirals therapies are crap, immune systems eventually can't cope and it leads to AIDS or early death even before it  lol1
    What about HIV vaccine? dunno Any more info about it? AFAIK there were so many tries, but all failed. There is such thing as PEP in UK for example. And it's free. http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1840.aspx?CategoryID=73 Not a vaccine but..

    Even having sex with HIV infected WOMAN You have small chance of infection. 0.1 % if sex was unprotected and vaginal. It's faggot and druggie disease really.  love

    Siphilis on other hand is.. bitch of a disease Very Happy Can be caught by kissing too. Hard to detect when it's too late and etc. Infects the spine and fucks up Your life before You know it. And my Russia and Eastern Europe is leading there.

    Russia has specific clinics in the country that deals with these people but it seems to mostly be in Moscow with new clinics being of course built in the Ural mountain areas. I hear the majority of the problems of HIV/AIDS are in the region of the Ural mountains and Siberia and their aids infection mostly comes from drug abuse but makes little sense since needles are nearly free in Russia. So it is just pure ignorance and lazyness of people. I doubt it is a death sentence in Russia since a lot of people have it. Death sentence would be those with Krokodile drug abuse or whatever. Seems harsher.

    Do you have facts about siphilis? Cause England was the ruling leader of siphilis for decades, and nearly majority of the population had a source of it.
    avatar
    Viktor

    Posts : 5669
    Points : 6312
    Join date : 2009-08-25
    Age : 37
    Location : Croatia

    Re: Health issues

    Post  Viktor on Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:04 pm


    Karl Haushofer

    Posts : 667
    Points : 666
    Join date : 2015-05-03

    Re: Health issues

    Post  Karl Haushofer on Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:58 pm

    Wonder if this is a result of decreased heroin flow from Afghanistan or improved methods of preventing drug use?

    Good news anyway.
    avatar
    kvs

    Posts : 3258
    Points : 3381
    Join date : 2014-09-11
    Location : Canuckistan

    Drugs in Russia

    Post  kvs on Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:12 am

    Karl Haushofer wrote:
    Wonder if this is a result of decreased heroin flow from Afghanistan or improved methods of preventing drug use?

    Good news anyway.

    It is due to the improving economic situation. There has been a very large drop in alcohol abuse for the same reason.

    There is no indication of any decline in dope smuggling from Afghanistan.
    avatar
    higurashihougi

    Posts : 2149
    Points : 2250
    Join date : 2014-08-13
    Location : A small and cutie S-shaped land.

    Re: Health issues

    Post  higurashihougi on Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:29 am

    Dunno if it is in the correct topic.

    https://www.rt.com/news/319083-deadly-genetic-disease-yakutia/

    New deadly genetic disease in Russia's Yakutia: Kids don’t live to 3yo

    Fourteen children in Yakutia have died of a previously-unknown disease caused by mutations in multiple genes. The illness kills kids before they turn three as it progresses rapidly and there's no cure so far, according to the scientist who discovered it.

    In total 16 children have been diagnosed with the genetic illness, says Nadezhda Maksimova, head of a Yakutsk laboratory at the North-Eastern Federal University who discovered the deadly disease.

    "We are currently studying a new, very severe disease which causes irreversible metabolic disorders in children who don't survive beyond three years of age. Of the 16 patients that we have found, only two are left alive," she told Ogonyok magazine.
    avatar
    sepheronx

    Posts : 7252
    Points : 7546
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 28
    Location : Canada

    Re: Health issues

    Post  sepheronx on Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:18 pm

    Very sad. Those children didnt have a chance. RIP.
    Hopefully they will find a cure for such sickness so other children can have a future.

    I wonder what it can be In Yakutia causing this.

    Edit: I see that they had to send the patient to Japan as Moscow is too far away.  So that would mean there is no research facility anywhere in Siberia?  My understanding is that the university was looking at this initially.  So what is it in Japan that they can do it? What about the universities in Russia? Why just Moscow? Lomonsov University may be well known but I believe certain Siberian Universities are well known too.
    avatar
    Project Canada

    Posts : 635
    Points : 640
    Join date : 2015-07-20
    Location : Canada

    Re: Health issues

    Post  Project Canada on Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:46 pm


    Genetic disease? that does mean its not caused by bacteria or viruses? is this contagious? are they sure its not a CIA secret bioweapon attack? (I know it sounds crazy but nowadays you'll never know!)
    avatar
    sepheronx

    Posts : 7252
    Points : 7546
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 28
    Location : Canada

    Re: Health issues

    Post  sepheronx on Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:02 pm

    This woman found 3 genetic diseases in 5 years. Kinda impressive.

    The genetic diseases can be caused from poor enviornment that eventually mutated cells over generations. A lot of this can be caused due to pollution. Russia has been known to in the past in dumping waste in the arctic/far north. Yakutia is large and under populated (not even a million). This article makes it out to sound like all children die by 3yrs in Yakutia region, but it actually is only children diagnosed with this condition, not all children (as there are far more than 16 children in Yakutia). But as soon as they can find out the source of the problem or the cure, then fine. But it sounds like most genetic diseases in this world are mostly untreatable.
    avatar
    Werewolf

    Posts : 5358
    Points : 5587
    Join date : 2012-10-24

    Re: Health issues

    Post  Werewolf on Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:29 pm

    Genetic disease sounds not something nature causes. The only genetic defects not (disease) can come from pollution by chemicals over period of time, however those children were mostly likely born with it, because you do not expose infants or children that young to anything you as a parent trust yourself. So that makes kind of a wierd situation there and very limited information if not right out bad journalism to present such thing without further information about how infants can have such disease without mentioning parents or mothers. Genetics do not change just like that and it would be informative if the parents have been tested to show anything in that regard, because if it is pollution there should be since of it by others then just small children.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Health issues

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:32 pm