Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Russian Tanks ERA and APS

The-thing-next-door

Re: Russian Tanks ERA and APS

Post  The-thing-next-door on Mon May 21, 2018 11:37 pm

Time for me to ask about tank armor.... on the internet.

Oh well

The turret armor on the T-90A does not seem to be any less thick than on say the leopard 2a4 or the abrams exept right next to the mantlet where there is only around 400-450mm of RHA.

Anyway I don't see how the T-90As frontal turret offers only 550mm of RHAE if the abrams offers 800.

I know Russian armor penetration and likely prtection measurment standars are higher than eaverone eleses but to such a degree would be just rediculous.

Also look at this image for the T-90As turret to offer only a pathetic 550mm of RHAE the composite armor would have to be less effective than seel.

Hole

Post  Hole on Tue May 22, 2018 10:35 am

You don´t get the two different concepts. The west scaps on new armor directly to the turret. Russia adds ERA. The result is the same.
    The-thing-next-door

Post  The-thing-next-door on Tue May 22, 2018 1:36 pm

No I get that Uralvagonzavod is too lazy to make armor and likes to pretend that bolting on NII stali products counts as armor and no as an additional layer of defence. And that the west is too stupid to understand the benefit countermeasures.

What I am saying is that the estimates for the T-90As turret are total bullshit.

The only section of the turret front that would offer around 550-600mm of RHAE would be the part right next to the mantlet albeit there is a small 425mm thick RHA section.

Anyway the turret armor would be more like 600-750 on the flat part in the middle and 850-900mm on the sloped side parts that don't protect anything when facing head on. (That is assuming Russian composite armor is better than RHA.)

Anyway great work Ural put all of your armor where it is least needed. <(I know it is to alow for a wider arc of protection but most enemies will shoot at you from the font so making that a weakpoint is rather silly)

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:52 am