Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+70
par far
magnumcromagnon
Neutrality
k@llashniKoff
GarryB
NationalRus
Walther von Oldenburg
Патриот
HUNTER VZLA
Andre73
Svyatoslavich
Kimppis
max steel
AK-Rex
grigorev88
Project Canada
Cyberspec
tipex12
auslander
Acheron
BKP
coolieno99
andrey19900
Specnaz
Alexander_A
andreyRUS
GRU
jhelb
Zivo
Korbin Dallas
Centric
kvs
KoTeMoRe
Mike E
x_54_u43
DukNuk
alexZam
KiloGolf
marcinko
Big_Gazza
wilhelm
HeNeArKrXeRn_
2SPOOKY4U
zg18
JohninMK
franco
VitalyVK
MOPO3
Werewolf
chicken
sepheronx
Kyo
FichtL_WichtL
OminousSpudd
whir
Radium
ult
Bolt
archangelski
Berkut
Flyboy77
Morpheus Eberhardt
Flankerman
George1
cheesfactory
Book.
PapaDragon
TheArmenian
Viktor
Captain Nemo
74 posters

Russian Military Photos and Videos #3

PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Russian Military Photos and Videos #3 - Page 40 Empty Re: Russian Military Photos and Videos #3

Post  PapaDragon Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:11 pm

I have come among you to put an end to pointless argument over petty semantics.

I shall do so by posting pretty pictures of Admiral Grigorevich frigate's first day on the job. russia

Russian Military Photos and Videos #3 - Page 40 2908414_original

Russian Military Photos and Videos #3 - Page 40 2907749_original

Russian Military Photos and Videos #3 - Page 40 2908157_original

Russian Military Photos and Videos #3 - Page 40 22cbaee762d7f9619c22da7d39acc094

Russian Military Photos and Videos #3 - Page 40 78a00290c1d9887d6a77aa707bad4171

Russian Military Photos and Videos #3 - Page 40 Db554ae5e4eaf6463babb8dc6f33f89d

Russian Military Photos and Videos #3 - Page 40 F3770a3d27efb07b31a1802b19a2097d

Russian Military Photos and Videos #3 - Page 40 F130dcfaa15ac079dbb91bbbe427b863

Russian Military Photos and Videos #3 - Page 40 0_16b6d3_53d84be5_orig

Russian Military Photos and Videos #3 - Page 40 0_16b6d2_7090efad_orig

Russian Military Photos and Videos #3 - Page 40 0_16b6d4_e7fa5f33_orig

Russian Military Photos and Videos #3 - Page 40 0_16b6d5_b85e0ed2_orig

El Capitan paratrooper
    Russian Military Photos and Videos #3 - Page 40 A36558aa8009f432e251a142765f540d

http://nortwolf-sam.livejournal.com/1198526.html
    par far

Russian Military Photos and Videos #3 - Page 40 Empty Re: Russian Military Photos and Videos #3

Post  par far Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:38 pm

Militarov wrote:
    par far wrote:
    Militarov wrote:
    par far wrote:

Whenever I see pictures of the Russian military training, they are most of the time using the SVD Sniper, why don't they use the Orsis or Lobavev or other sniper rifles?

Because those are not frontline sniper rifles. They cost like dozen SVDs, and are overkill for what squad dedicated marksman would use it for. Small amount of those were seen in hands of MVD and FSB but thats all, they are more sporting rifles than for military use.

Hi there Militarov, by saying this, you are saying that the Russian Armed Forces are cheap(which they are not) and that Russia cannot make long range snipers for the military, just sporting rifles.

You are basically saying that the west is better than Russia, when it comes to making long range sniper rifles(which I don't think is true).

I stay completely behind this statement of mine. SVD is fine squad dedicated marksman rifle, one of its qualities is fact its cheap. Infantry squad dedicated marksman rifles are in majority of the armies simply heavy barrel guns based on assault or battle rifles.

Some examples:

Germany - HK417/MR308 A3 and G3SG/1 (latter one is becoming rare)
    USA - SDM-R and M21/M25
    Serbia - M76 and M91
    China - QBU-88 and Type 79 (Basically SVD but getting phased out)
    Japan - Howa Type 64
    UK - L129A1
    Turkey - MSG90 and SR-25 (some SVDs too)

Some countries like Canada and France prefer to issue on squad lvl bolt action sniper rifles but is in my opinion huge waste of money especially on sizeable armies, even worse if conscript based.

Also Lobaev rifles will never enter military service, at least not existing models, thes are single shot, custom-built bolt-action sniper rifles for fun, target practice and enthousiasts, they have no place in mud. Some were as i said above seen in hands of FSB/MVD units but i doubt more than few dozen were ever obtained.

Long range anti-material rifles that Russians do actually use are SVN-98, KSVK and OSV-96.

I agree with on the SVD, it is a fine weapon but I think Russia needs to get a caliber like 338 lapua into the hands of the regular army(Orsis T 5000 or the newer version of the Orsis T 5000). The SVD can be a mid range rifle, 338 lapua the long range and SVN-98, KSVK and OSV-96 can be Long range anti-material rifles.

Here are the Lobaev Snipers, I think they can be fine sniper rifles(the army just has to test them).

http://lobaevarms.com/

Whatever happened to this rifle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC1IDsCrycU

par far

Post  par far Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:39 pm

Militarov wrote:
    par far wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:
    Militarov wrote:
    par far wrote:

Whenever I see pictures of the Russian military training, they are most of the time using the SVD Sniper, why don't they use the Orsis or Lobavev or other sniper rifles?

Because those are not frontline sniper rifles. They cost like dozen SVDs, and are overkill for what squad dedicated marksman would use it for. Small amount of those were seen in hands of MVD and FSB but thats all, they are more sporting rifles than for military use.

there's also another reason. There are now other optics available for the rifle with ad hoc zeroing. In those pictures you have brand new Dedals 8x30-32/8x40 and what looks like 12x50. This allows for the SVD to basically move out of the 600m killzone up to a more respectable 800 with only ammunition and optic swap.

Also thanks to the Universal mount, the rifle retains its Iron sights, so it doesn't sacrifice anything except some more RUR from the Budget.

That is good that they are up to 800m kill zone but KoTeMoRe, don't you think, that Russia needs some snipers in the Russian Army(regular army), that can hit targets to 1500m(like most west countries do, I know that they have the 12.7x108 snipers but those are very heavy and make a lot of sound and flash to unmask the shooter).

CheyTac Intervention rifle in .408 CT caliber weigths 14kg. That is 1kg more than OSV96. What would make sense tho is to simply make SV-98 in .338 Lapua or some similar caliber Russians are fond of to fill the gap.

I think American Sniper Rifles are just cool looking and that is why everyone(including me), assume that they are the best.

Post  Guest Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:12 pm

par far wrote:
    Militarov wrote:
    par far wrote:
    Militarov wrote:
    par far wrote:

Hi there Militarov, by saying this, you are saying that the Russian Armed Forces are cheap(which they are not) and that Russia cannot make long range snipers for the military, just sporting rifles.

You are basically saying that the west is better than Russia, when it comes to making long range sniper rifles(which I don't think is true).

I stay completely behind this statement of mine. SVD is fine squad dedicated marksman rifle, one of its qualities is fact its cheap. Infantry squad dedicated marksman rifles are in majority of the armies simply heavy barrel guns based on assault or battle rifles.

Some examples:

Germany - HK417/MR308 A3 and G3SG/1 (latter one is becoming rare)
    USA - SDM-R and M21/M25
    Serbia - M76 and M91
    China - QBU-88 and Type 79 (Basically SVD but getting phased out)
    Japan - Howa Type 64
    UK - L129A1
    Turkey - MSG90 and SR-25 (some SVDs too)

Some countries like Canada and France prefer to issue on squad lvl bolt action sniper rifles but is in my opinion huge waste of money especially on sizeable armies, even worse if conscript based.

Also Lobaev rifles will never enter military service, at least not existing models, thes are single shot, custom-built bolt-action sniper rifles for fun, target practice and enthousiasts, they have no place in mud. Some were as i said above seen in hands of FSB/MVD units but i doubt more than few dozen were ever obtained.

Long range anti-material rifles that Russians do actually use are SVN-98, KSVK and OSV-96.

I agree with on the SVD, it is a fine weapon but I think Russia needs to get a caliber like  338 lapua into the hands of the regular army(Orsis T 5000 or the newer version of the Orsis T 5000). The SVD can be a mid range rifle, 338 lapua the long range and  SVN-98, KSVK and OSV-96 can be Long range anti-material rifles.

Here are the Lobaev Snipers, I think they can be fine sniper rifles(the army just has to test them).

http://lobaevarms.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC1IDsCrycU

Lobaev does not have production rates high enough to supply the armed forces, also their rifles are very expensive as they are hand made, tested, polished and everything that goes with it, even agencies that obtain them get very few for top tier sniper teams like FSB did. Army after all needs something more affordable. They are still more affordable tho than some Western rifles but lets be real, US has 600+ billion military budget they can afford to throw money around.

VKS is in service with interior security forces, FSB and MVD, not sure if it was ever obtained by the Army.
    tipex12
    tipex12

Post  tipex12 Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:11 pm

Russia Defense Report: Russia's Anti-Missile Shield
    Bolt
    Bolt

Post  Bolt Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:20 pm

Russian Military Photos and Videos #3 - Page 40 Tu160-most4
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:30 am

No, what he is saying is that the gold plated very high precision weapons like Orsis are not durable enough to take into combat and would be better used by police snipers or other paramilitary forces like the FSB or interior ministry forces.

For a very long time Russia and the Soviet Union were not very interested in very long range sniper rifles as they are very impractical without extremely precise rifles, ammo, rangefinding equipment, trained snipers, ideal conditions, and many other factors.

Now that Russia has improved its production systems and has recognised the importance of longer range fire power it has made enormous leaps in terms of performance potential, but in practical terms their operational sniper rifles are the SVD and a few bolt action rifles like the SV-98 amongst other weapons. The large calibre weapons are generally used for hard targets like light vehicles and are not really sniper rifles as such.

That is good that they are up to 800m kill zone but KoTeMoRe, don't you think, that Russia needs some snipers in the Russian Army(regular army), that can hit targets to 1500m(like most west countries do, I know that they have the 12.7x108 snipers but those are very heavy and make a lot of sound and flash to unmask the shooter).

I would suggest the chances of a soldier in a normal unit that can spot and identify a target that is 1,500m away that needs to be taken out then a PKP would be a much better tool for the job.

For targets out to 2km then Metis-M1 makes rather more sense and would actually be a cheaper way of taking out a point target at extreme range as anyone can set it up and fire with a decent chance of taking out not just the target but the room he is standing in.

The sniper model of the Mosin rifle is based on a standard rifle too, so not much has changed... the SVD is a sniper rifle. Perhaps we can agree on terms by giving intended ranges to distinguish the weapons. SV-99 is clearly a short range sniper rifle, SVD and VSS are medium range weapons, while the SV-98 is a long range sniper rifle. Larger calibre weapons are anti material rifles.

No it is not needed at all. The muricans invented terms without any difference or alteration through firearms history on technological level. The same things that were called 10 years or 60 years back Assault rifles are today indoctrinated by Americans to be called Battlerifles.

The term battle rifle is supposed to describe semi automatic rifles incapable of full automatic fire.

the term Assault Rifle is a weapon that combines the capabilities of a battle rifle with the capabilities of a sub machine gun... in other words moderate range accuracy and power with short range high volume fire. An FN FAL for instance is an assault rifle as it can fire single shot and full auto. You could argue that it is not great in the SMG role but then you could equally argue an M16 is not a great battle rifle with its weak little rounds with little more effect than .22lr at more than 300m.

A battle rifle would include bolt action rifles, as well as semi autos that have no full auto capability.

The L1A1 as used in the British Commonwealth is a battle rifle despite being based on the assault rifle FN FAL because it has no capacity for full auto fire. The SKS is a battle rifle too. The Mosin Nagant M1930/1891 rifle is also a battle rifle.

I agree with on the SVD, it is a fine weapon but I think Russia needs to get a caliber like 338 lapua into the hands of the regular army(Orsis T 5000 or the newer version of the Orsis T 5000). The SVD can be a mid range rifle, 338 lapua the long range and SVN-98, KSVK and OSV-96 can be Long range anti-material rifles.

I would have to ask you what the fuck an SVD equipped sniper within a normal squad would be doing wasting his time looking for threats 1.5km away? That is an enormous volume of ground that he would need to be able to scan to find targets and mind you not just find but also identify as enemy to be actually able to shoot.

You want that guy to carry a 10kg plus rifle and heavy expensive ammo so what... he can shoot at things that are really none of his business...

Might come as a shock but odds are that guy is operating from an APC or IFV with a 30mm cannon at the very least and that also has magnified night vision equipment and communications equipment to find targets are much greater range and engage them... why waste money giving him the reach to hit targets he will never see?

I would think fitting his SVD with a x12 magnification individual weapons scope with laser range finding and a ballistics computer to hit targets within 1,000m will be all he needs... perhaps a heavy barrel version like the VS-121 might be a good step, but 338 LM calibre weapons belong in dedicated sniper teams that operate on their own and would benefit from extra standoff shooting distances.

The VSS is in operational service in recon units and the VSK is likely in service by the FSB units that requested its development.

I think American Sniper Rifles are just cool looking and that is why everyone(including me), assume that they are the best.

American sniper rifles look awful... the M21 is just an M14 which is crap. Their bolt action version of the Remington model 700 are just boring.
    DTA
    DTA

Post  DTA Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:16 am

An-124 planes transported military equipment to Tajikistan for drills

Soldiers blasting ice to prevent ice jams .

Anastasia Kryuchkovа - test engineer at Nizhny Tagil Institute of Metal Testing

FSE "Nizhny Tagil Institute of Metal Testing"

Gromov Flight Research Institute celebrates 75 anniversary

Sniper's line - competition at Shalkhi proving ground. North Ossetia

Centralno-Uglovaya AFB. Training flights  

Navy flag raised over frigate Admiral Grigorovich

Su-24 bombing ice jams to prevent spring flooding

Daily trainings of scouts at Darial proving ground. North Ossetia

Sniper's school of Eastern Military district. Khabarovsk krai
    tipex12
    tipex12

Post  tipex12 Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:42 pm

I Serve Russia! Release of March 13, 2016
    TheArmenian
    TheArmenian

Post  TheArmenian Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:15 pm

Tests on the SKOPRPION LShA

Elbows

Post  Elbows Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:52 pm

As an American AK enthusiast it's interesting to see you folks really passionate about terminology used here in the states. In the firearms/police/military community we use a couple of terms for simple designation. They may or may not be used by the military proper, but on civilian/casual forums and the shooting community they're common. It's definitely interesting to see what other folks think.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:06 pm

Elbows wrote:As an American AK enthusiast it's interesting to see you folks really passionate about terminology used here in the states.  In the firearms/police/military community we use a couple of terms for simple designation.  They may or may not be used by the military proper, but on civilian/casual forums and the shooting community they're common.  It's definitely interesting to see what other folks think.

Wrong terminologies that have no reason to exist and especially terminologies not used by a single country outside the US makes the terminology useless, like Battle Rifle. US does not have a single battle rifle in active service but uses such terminology, which makes the entire point to a ridiculous nonsense trying to impose terminology on NATO slaves like they try to use this shit here in germany.
    Elbows

Post  Elbows Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:15 pm

Seems like an odd thing to get so upset about. Unfortunate I suppose.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:43 pm

Elbows wrote:Seems like an odd thing to get so upset about.  Unfortunate I suppose.

No it is not. It is the very fact of our daily lifes that muricans try to indoctrinate and imposse whatever horseshit they come up with as their stupid doctrine of hegemony and their impossed americanization of europe. The reaction to that is that some people who are educated about the political state and manipulation of our buisness in our countries is allergic to whatever horseshit they come towards us. That is human nature of indogen-folks reacting to invaders.
    tipex12
    tipex12

Post  tipex12 Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:31 pm

this whole sniper rifle/marksman's rifle discussion is useless

#1 historically most sniper kills are well within 400m and the svd is more than capable at those ranges
    #2 historically most firefights are within 100m not the 300-400m that most assault rifles are accurate to
    #3 as with all rifle accuracy the shooters skill is far more important than the latest expensive rifle. old mosin nagants killed people in ww2 just fine.
    #4 semi auto vrs bolt action. bolt action is more accurate, but semi auto offers more protection to the shooter for close pop up targets due to reload speed so dealers choice
    #5 most importantly lets kill this conversation and get back to posting pics and vids
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:36 pm

tipex12 wrote:this whole sniper rifle/marksman's rifle discussion is useless

#1 historically most sniper kills are well within 400m and the svd is more than capable at those ranges
    #2 historically most firefights are within 100m not the 300-400m that most assault rifles are accurate to
    #3 as with all rifle accuracy the shooters skill is far more important than the latest expensive rifle. old mosin nagants killed people in ww2 just fine.
    #4 semi auto vrs bolt action. bolt action is more accurate, but semi auto offers more protection to the shooter for close pop up targets due to reload speed so dealers choice
    #5 most importantly lets kill this conversation and get back to posting pics and vids

Or have the discussion moved to the appropriate thread. George1, will you do us the honor on moving the discussion?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:17 pm