Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+76
Peŕrier
Isos
medo
Singular_Transform
Rodion_Romanovic
KiloGolf
Big_Gazza
Tsavo Lion
PapaDragon
George1
miroslav
Firebird
Benya
higurashihougi
Odin of Ossetia
Kimppis
KoTeMoRe
jhelb
Arctic_Fox
magnumcromagnon
whir
Hannibal Barca
mack8
miketheterrible
BKP
slasher
par far
kvs
zardof
Giulio
marcellogo
chinggis
Airman
storm333
marat
Project Canada
Ned86
Rmf
A1RMAN
Singular_trafo
hoom
OminousSpudd
SeigSoloyvov
wilhelm
Honesroc
JohnSnow
franco
Dima
Backinblack
RedJasmin
sepheronx
JohninMK
ult
Kyo
Book.
mutantsushi
collegeboy16
AirCargo
Werewolf
MotherlandCalls
Hachimoto
zg18
dionis
SOC
Pugnax
Sujoy
Stealthflanker
Flyingdutchman
TR1
AlfaT8
KomissarBojanchev
Pervius
TheArmenian
GarryB
Admin
runaway
80 posters

Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #1

JohninMK
    JohninMK

Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #1 - Page 11 Empty Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #1

Post  JohninMK Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:12 pm

The flotilla passed Andoya in Northern Norway today. Lovely flat sea, relaxed pace, 5 aircraft and a chopper on deck. Assume photos from a RNAF P-3 Orion.

Compare and contract the two photos, a whole lot of paint gone onto that ship!

https://twitter.com/M3t4_tr0n/status/788119553637244928

Thanks for the link Aldin, if you are still around here.
    par far

Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #1 - Page 11 Empty Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #1

Post  par far Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:33 pm

When Admiral Kuznetsov, reaches the Syrian Coast, I really hope that, they allow, selected reporters on Admiral Kuznetsov, I would love to see, how Admiral Kuznetsov look inside.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:46 am

I would like to see the sort of weapons they operate with... especially the Ka-52s, but also the MiGs and Flankers.
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:08 pm

This article includes a very good and detailed video clip of the Kuznetsov off Dover.

http://www.itv.com/news/2016-10-21/navy-vessels-follow-russian-warships-every-inch-of-the-way-as-they-pass-through-channel-on-their-way-to-syria/
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:56 pm

They really need to do something with that engine.

Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #1 - Page 11 CvSSXI7UEAALkDK

Post  Guest Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:02 pm

par far wrote:When Admiral Kuznetsov, reaches the Syrian Coast, I really hope that, they allow, selected reporters on Admiral Kuznetsov, I would love to see, how Admiral Kuznetsov look inside.

There are alot of photos from Kuznecov from 2009. and 2012. online from the inside.
    Project Canada

Post  Project Canada Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:25 pm

JohninMK wrote:They really need to do something with that engine.

I hope Russia's new Storm class carriers won't have those awful engine smokes

Post  Guest Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:04 pm

Project Canada wrote:

I hope Russia's new Storm class carriers won't have those awful engine smokes

If it stays as originally imagined Storm will have nuclear propulsion.
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:15 pm

It's interesting, that on the deck are ready to take off and armed with AAMs only Su-33 fighters and no MiG-29K. They are all in hangar.
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:13 pm

Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #1 - Page 11 Bauhoo10

Looks like Kuznetsov have not modernized Su-33 fighters with Gefest SVP-24.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:00 pm

medo wrote:.............[/url]

No need really. MiGs will be doing the bombing. 33's are there for air patrols and to boost Su-30/35 complement.

Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #1 - Page 11 4i77GJ2XBeg
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:18 pm

English navy ship fans out in small boats with good cameras.

Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #1 - Page 11 CvTk1Y9XYAEn3C9

Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #1 - Page 11 CvTk2CgWIAAlKpT

Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #1 - Page 11 CvTk3vtXgAAjV5R

Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #1 - Page 11 CvTnj4OWgAAZ5YC

Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #1 - Page 11 CvTnk9iWEAAg2fB

Last edited by JohninMK on Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
    zg18
    zg18

Post  zg18 Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:21 pm

Where is the point? I know it looks ugly with this black beam of steam, but there is no point to invest gazillion into carrier whose main mission is to provide RuNavy with continual carrier borne operational capabilities & experience .
    A1RMAN
    A1RMAN

Post  A1RMAN Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:13 am

zg18 wrote:

Where is the point? I know it looks ugly with this black beam of steam, but there is no point to invest gazillion into carrier whose main mission is to provide RuNavy with continual carrier borne operational capabilities & experience .

In order for it to provide it, obviously. Last years K spent mostly in repairs, and most common reason was current propulsion system. If you don't change it, K will be mostly in docks also for the future.
    marat

Post  marat Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:13 am

A1RMAN wrote:
    zg18 wrote:

In order for it to provide it, obviously. Last years K spent mostly in repairs, and most common reason was current propulsion system. If you don't change it, K will be mostly in docks also for the future.

And thats have no relations with smoke. Smoke is not problem.
    SeigSoloyvov
    SeigSoloyvov

Post  SeigSoloyvov Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:55 am

marat wrote:
    A1RMAN wrote:
    zg18 wrote:

And thats have no relations with smoke. Smoke is not problem.

Smoke isn't a problem but the propulsion system is, it does need to be replaced.

I would just go with a diesel engine, like I said doubt they will go Nuclear with this thing.

For this particular ship Nuclear power would provide it no real use nothing diesel couldn't anyway.
    Giulio
    Giulio

Post  Giulio Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:47 pm

medo wrote:Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #1 - Page 11 Bauhoo10

Afaik SVP-24 is a black boxes system in the aircraft, not an external pod. Wingtips pods in the Su-33s or Su-34s are, I think, movable RWR/ECM "Sorbitzia" systems.
    RedJasmin

Post  RedJasmin Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:48 pm

Some fantastic pictures there. I live on the south coast of the UK and was hoping to see them pass from here, but they were too far out by the time they got along to my stretch of beach. Sad

I have to agree Soloyvov though, that propulsion system doesn't seem very healthy, and has been the K's Achilles's Heel from the start. Future carriers really do need to be nuclear, as Russia just doesn't have the network of friendly ports and bases overseas to ensure they will be able to fuel up on long missions. While it might not be worth it for the K herself in direct terms, treating her a testbed for new technologies going into future carriers could be a good move - and a well tested propulsion/power plant could help avoid the very problems on future ships that happened with the K.
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:55 pm

A Dutch Navy picture from the North Sea with more planes on deck, taken from one of their NH-90s. Good picture of the lifts.

Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #1 - Page 11 CvTGHRmXEAA76ow
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:05 pm

A bit OT but just to show she is not alone in the smokey stakes. Now this looks like a really knackered engine, USS Freedom, incidently one of their much hyped Literal Combat Ships and only8 years old.

Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #1 - Page 11 CvUvK55XYAAFb0S
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:36 pm

Giulio wrote:
    medo wrote:Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #1 - Page 11 Bauhoo10

Afaik SVP-24 is a black boxes system in the aircraft, not an external pod. Wingtips pods in the Su-33s or Su-34s are, I think, movable RWR/ECM "Sorbitzia" systems.

Point is, that b/n 76 and 62 were not between those modernized with SVP-24 in Zhukovsky.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:27 pm

SeigSoloyvov wrote:.............

Smoke isn't a problem but the propulsion system is, it does need to be replaced.

I would just go with a diesel engine, like I said doubt they will go Nuclear with this thing.

For this particular ship Nuclear power would provide it no real use nothing diesel couldn't anyway.

We are really wasting time with all the smoke discussion. It does not look pretty and engines are not really perfect but I am sure RU Navy is more than aware of it.

The thing is this ship was already on it's way to dock for total overhaul, engines included. It was pulled out at last second precisely so it would take opportunity to participate in this little Syrian get together. Six months from now it will be off to dockyard for several years.

Crowd on the internet can use this opportunity to have some laughs. I don't really see the problem. They laughed at other stuff before. And just like then they won't be laughing once this thing starts raining down fiery death on rodents in Syria.
    Big_Gazza
    Big_Gazza

Post  Big_Gazza Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:07 pm

SeigSoloyvov wrote:

Nah, there is nothing wrong with steam propulsion. The K just needs efficient & reliable boilers and a full refurb on her turbines. The powerplant of the Vikramaditiya is an example of how the K should look after her planned upgrade. She runs virtually smoke free.
    storm333
    storm333

Post  storm333 Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:48 am

Big_Gazza wrote:
    SeigSoloyvov wrote:

Nah, there is nothing wrong with steam propulsion.  The K just needs efficient & reliable boilers and a full refurb on her turbines.  The powerplant of the Vikramaditiya is an example of how the K should look after her planned upgrade. She runs virtually smoke free.

The black smoke indicates that there is a problem with the boiler.

Post  Guest Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:25 am

There is no question about it that Kuz has certain issues with its boilers, most likely its not managing to burn oil efficent enough (too low temperatures i presume) which leads to this... coal burning like pillar of smoke.

However beside issues with boilers, it seems K had issues with its "transmission" so to call it too. All of this will require major overhauls of the system or its complete replacement.. however... i dont see diesels coming into play. Mostly coz Russia atm does not have so big diesels on its disposal.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:57 pm