Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+68
TMA1
Kiko
zepia
ALAMO
UZB-76
owais.usmani
mavaff
thegopnik
LMFS
hoom
Isos
Hole
Cyberspec
RTN
JohninMK
ATLASCUB
mnztr
Nibiru
miketheterrible
PapaDragon
Vann7
Zivo
x_54_u43
max steel
OminousSpudd
Svyatoslavich
Glyph
artjomh
kvs
Redboy
jhelb
marcellogo
2SPOOKY4U
GunshipDemocracy
EKS
Teshub
Big_Gazza
Rmf
victor1985
AlfaT8
ahmedfire
Kyo
Werewolf
Morpheus Eberhardt
collegeboy16
magnumcromagnon
Hannibal Barca
TR1
Arrow
BlackArrow
coolieno99
Sujoy
Deep Throat
sepheronx
flamming_python
nemrod
Hachimoto
gaurav
dino00
Firebird
George1
SOC
Mindstorm
Austin
GarryB
Stealthflanker
Viktor
Admin
72 posters

Russia and other developments in Hypersonic Research

max steel
    max steel

Russia and other developments in Hypersonic Research - Page 12 Empty Re: Russia and other developments in Hypersonic Research

Post  max steel Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:22 pm

gaurav wrote:

YU-71 may not be the correct name , Till now the media name is only 4202. The hypersonic aircraft currently being readied for SARMAT tests.

Officially, these tests have not yet been reported. But, according to sources "MK", ​​a report on this fantastic success as it classifies
    the developers, to be held in the near future. The test launch, according to our interlocutors, was carried from the Orenburg region with GMD Dombarovsky.

Then, some time on tests of this device could not hear. Probably because there is nothing to boast it was especially - it is no secret that the first stages of development testing often persecuted failures, which is quite natural. But now, according to our sources, it all behind. And "our answer to Chamberlain" almost ready.

Project 4202 test

Russia tests hypersonic warhead

No it's not Sarmat. They used SS-19 Stiletto for glider launch. The December 2011 tests is by all indication the first one that was done under the Project 4202 program. The vehicle is now known as Yu-71.

Arrow wrote:There is no any official information about the current and previous tests Ju-71.

Well read the hyper-links by gaurav now 3 Russian source and 1 British one. Russia’s Defense Ministry has neither denied nor confirmed the report.

2008 Launch:
    gaurav
    gaurav

Russia and other developments in Hypersonic Research - Page 12 Empty Re: Russia and other developments in Hypersonic Research

Post  gaurav Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:15 am

max steel wrote:No it's not Sarmat. They used SS-19 Stiletto for glider launch.

Yaah it is RS-18 launch. Pentagon and Defense dept going crazy and shitting bricks after these tests.
    They just dont know what to say. This test has really unnerved them to the hilt.

U.S officials react: Hypersonic warhead test

That SS-19 video launch looks so awesome(everytime I see that).

Actually the whole Sarmat infrastructure and technology development was planned/built around this hypersonic aircraft.

We saw last year that that Sarmat development was continuously getting postponed as this warhead/aircraft was not fully ready.
    BUt now the  sarmat assembly and production is back to full swing . Initially Russia planned a whole regiment of SS-19 missiles carrying
    this warhead.That regiment would have really changed the game. That plan was dropped unfortunately maybe due to development time cycle of this aircraft.
    max steel
    max steel

Post  max steel Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:55 am

gaurav wrote:

Yaah it is RS-18 launch. Pentagon and Defense dept going crazy and shitting bricks after these tests.
    They just dont know what to say. This test has really unnerved them to the hilt.

U.S officials react: Hypersonic warhead test

That SS-19 video launch looks so awesome(everytime I see that).

Actually the whole Sarmat infrastructure and technology development was planned/built around this hypersonic aircraft.

We saw last year that that Sarmat development was continuously getting postponed as this warhead/aircraft was not fully ready.
    BUt now the  sarmat assembly and production is back to full swing . Initially Russia planned a whole regiment of SS-19 missiles carrying
    this warhead.That regiment would have really changed the game. That plan was dropped unfortunately maybe due to development time cycle of this aircraft.

The reason Pentagon and Def Dept going crazy because the test was SUCCESSFUL after so many years.

I thought Sarmat will be replacing Voyevoda R-36M2. As far as I know they have been testing projekt 4202 on SS-19 only, i guess hypersonic glider failure was the main reason.

Can you answer my few questions(from post)? : https://www.russiadefence.net/t2758p225-russia-us-and-other-developments-in-hypersonic-research#160534

Good to see old posters coming back. lol1

Russia and other developments in Hypersonic Research - Page 12 22222210
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:18 am

Big_Gazza wrote:
    GarryB wrote:
    The amusing thing is that these gliders are launched from what amounts to an ICBM, and both Russia and China have truck mounted systems that could be flown to almost anywhere to be launched, while the US has a few launch pads for testing and ICBM silos that likely wont be the right size to allow a large nose mounted payload to be fitted.

the second amusing thing is that ICBMs are faster than these weapons so when their launch is detected Russia and China will likely treat them as being ICBMs... if they decide the gliders are heading their way I rather suspect they will launch a full retaliation... one hour from launch to impact for the gliders... 5 minutes flight time for forward deployed SLBMs and 30 minutes for ICBMs from Russia... can you please remind me what makes these gliders so fucking fantastic and game changing?

Sounds like a slow motion attempt to punch the guy with a pistol in the face... in other words a guaranteed gunshot wound to the head...

Good news about the (apparently) successful test of the Yu-71 test vehicle  Very Happy  

I think the most utility for these systems may be to attack vital installations that are heavily protected by (future) ABM defenses.  Alternatively, the existence of precision-guided highly-maneuverable hypersonic glide vehicles may pull the rug out from under any large-scale ABM deployment.  Opponents of such systems will argue why proceed with a hugely expensive ABM system to defend against large-scale attack when HGVs can easily pierce such defenses, and the costs for large scale defense against HGVs would be utterly unfeasible?  These sorts of arguments provide far more traction than intellectual arguments (like the destabilizing nature of ABM systems where one sides strategic deterrent is threatened by a secure adversary).

I don't see the Global Strike BS as being such a great idea.  I can't imagine that there are too many 3rd world terrorist targets that would justify launching an ICBM, and for using such a weapon against a 1st-grade power like Russia or China?  That would be absurd as the target has no guarantee that the payload isn't a nuclear warhead on a decapitation strike, and I shudder to think of the consequences.

BTW is there any indications whether these vehicles use scramjets, or are they passive vehicles like MaRVs that are restricted to a quasi-ballistic trajectory and consume their kinetic energy as they change course (ie losing speed and limiting cross-range capabilities)?

I'm shocked that we constantly allow neocons and NATO s.t.r.o.n.k. chuckle-heads to frame the debates, like how they claim A-235/Nudol is simply just a anti-satellite system. Rolling Eyes  Talk about "finally" developing HGV's is funny considering the Soviet's developed the Buran which is essentially a civilian version of a HGV, and that was back with antiquated 1980's electronics. It's a strong likelihood that Topol/Topol-M series uses HGV warheads aided by the miniaturization that came with the rise of digital electronics (the 1980's didn't have smartphones Wink), hence the reason why Almaz Antey has now stated that the S-500 can now "intercept  intercontinental ballistic missiles with the possibility of changing trajectory mid-flight."

https://www.russiadefence.net/t4954p675-s-300-400-500-news-russian-strategic-air-defense#149316

...The only way they can reliable state the S-500 could engage ICBM warheads that can change trajectory in mid-flight is if they already developed that technology and from that they developed practice targets mimicking the characteristics. As far as the use of scramjets, Almaz Antey has stated that the RS-26 will be abandoning the 'bus' system in favor of individual warheads with their own propulsion, and it isn't a mere coincidence that Zircon will be coming in to force approximately around the same time frame/window. It's no wonder VKS absolutely refused to let U.S. START officials see what the RS-26's warhead looked like.
    Big_Gazza
    Big_Gazza

Post  Big_Gazza Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:07 pm

magnumcromagnon wrote:
    I'm shocked that we constantly allow neocons and NATO s.t.r.o.n.k. chuckle-heads to frame the debates, like how they claim A-235/Nudol is simply just a anti-satellite system. Rolling Eyes  Talk about "finally" developing HGV's is funny considering the Soviet's developed the Buran which is essentially a civilian version of a HGV, and that was back with antiquated 1980's electronics. It's a strong likelihood that Topol/Topol-M series uses HGV warheads aided by the miniaturization that came with the rise of digital electronics (the 1980's didn't have smartphones Wink), hence the reason why Almaz Antey has now stated that the S-500 can now "intercept  intercontinental ballistic missiles with the possibility of changing trajectory mid-flight."

https://www.russiadefence.net/t4954p675-s-300-400-500-news-russian-strategic-air-defense#149316

...The only way they can reliable state the S-500 could engage ICBM warheads that can change trajectory in mid-flight is if they already developed that technology and from that they developed practice targets mimicking the characteristics. As far as the use of scramjets, Almaz Antey has stated that the RS-26 will be abandoning the 'bus' system in favor of individual warheads with their own propulsion, and it isn't a mere coincidence that Zircon will be coming in to force approximately around the same time frame/window. It's no wonder VKS absolutely refused to let U.S. START officials see what the RS-26's warhead looked like.

Good point about the unmanned Buran being essentially an early HGV, and I would add while I've never seen any data on the dynamic performances, I'd expect that the BOR-4 & 5 test vehicles from the Buran program in the early-mid 80s likely exhibited many of the qualities required by a practical weaponised HGV.  I would not be surprised if the Yu-71 development has leveraged the technological legacy from these older vehicles, particularly for thermal protection systems (the testing of which was the main purpose of the BOR vehicles).

BOR-4 graphic below.  Although this vehicle had rocket-powered propulsion for initiating re-entry followed by a largely ballistic path until final landing approach (rather than a scramjet used for active flight to target) I'd assert that it can still be considered a rudimentary HGV.

http://www.buran-energia.net/img/bor4-15.gif

1-Nasal thermal shield; 2-Electrical battery; 3-Tank for the fuel, NO3 + UDMH; 4-Parachute; 5-Navigation system and on-board electronic; 6-Radio equipment; 7-Scientific equipment; 8-Actuator of the wings; 9-Wings; 10-Vertical stabilizer; 11-Engines; 12-Central bloc of the GRD engines, pitching; 13-Steel frame.
    max steel
    max steel

Post  max steel Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:48 pm

Buran was an OTV developed by Russia in 1980s just to check whether nukes can be delivered from space also. They had their answers. Meanwhile US X-37B is a similar OTV flying around these days.
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:52 am

max steel wrote:Buran was an OTV developed by Russia in 1980s just to check whether nukes can be delivered from space also. They had their answers. Meanwhile US X-37B is a similar OTV flying around these days.

But it was hypersonic. So the HGV tag is quite correct.
    gaurav
    gaurav

Post  gaurav Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:46 am

max steel wrote:I thought Sarmat will be replacing Voyevoda R-36M2. As far as I know they have been testing projekt 4202 on SS-19 only, i guess hypersonic glider failure was the main reason.
    Yaah correct.

max steel wrote:Good to see old posters coming back.
    Just came back from 2 days software work.

I am a regular "visitor" not a contributor to this site. I basically read most of the comments on this site.
    I dont need to contribute infront of giants who have huge amount of technical and non technical details of eastern or Russian
    development framework.

max steel wrote:Can you answer my few questions
    I will see the other people comments (on that thread  Very Happy ) and then try to answer.

OOT(Out of Topic)
    Yaah man ,Those Rambo movies of Thailand and Aghan were the Indian primary war movies, along with Oliver Stone (heavens & earth),
    hamburger hill, platoon etc.
    gaurav
    gaurav

Post  gaurav Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:18 am

Back to business: Russia hypersonic test

See the buran is ideal example how the Main Stream Media tries to make a fool of ourself. Basically they(media) are trying to spin
    the facts and create confusion.
    This Glider concept was there right from Soviet Union days. This Buran was the "hypersonic" space vehicle. The mass of buran (corrected??)
    30-40 tons... !
    The mach numbers for Buran space shuttle at 6-10 kilometeres altitude  2-5 mach. At 300 kilometeres orbit 24 mach.
    So ideally this is also Hypersonic Glide Vehicle.

To be frank ,It is very difficult to tell what are the U.S advances and propaganda regarding its missiles.
    I will look into it and then comment on it.

victor1985

Post  victor1985 Tue May 03, 2016 7:31 pm

this area of forum is simply too complicated for me. i lack alot of understanding of terms (what are "gliders", "mirv-why couldnt be maneuvreable till now", "balistic vs cruise", "scramjet-and why their are better that ramjet", and others). simply i dont know the physics of fluids and aerodinamic so here i cant tell nothing. but i would like it to know. despite that the main area i was interested and i am is electronics , quantum physics and some chemistry. the newtonian physiscs is somethign that i didnt read just jumped on after einstein physics.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Wed May 04, 2016 2:28 am

The LII preparing to test an experimental hypersonic vehicle
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Wed May 04, 2016 3:56 am

CIAM experienced poster module hypersonic engine on hydrogen fuel
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed May 04, 2016 7:03 pm

this area of forum is simply too complicated for me. i lack alot of understanding of terms (what are "gliders",

These gliders are called gliders because they don't have their own engines... they are launched with an old ICBM and then they just glide at very high speed to their target.

"mirv-why couldnt be maneuvreable till now",

A Mirv is guided towards its own target but it has no propulsion so it can't travel a long way to get to its target.

"balistic vs cruise",

Ballistic is like a bullet... it is accelerated up to flight speed and then coasts to the target... they are usually fired up into the air and then travel a curved trajectory to fall on the target. A cruise missile has its own engine and flys all the way to the target. both have guidance systems.

"scramjet-and why their are better that ramjet", and others).

A Ram Jet is a type of jet engine that is very simple. Air goes in one end of a tube and as the tube gets narrow the air is compressed which heats it up. Fuel is added and burned which generates more heat so the air exits the rear of the ramjet at high speed and high temperature... that generates thrust. Increasing the fuel supply increases the thrust.

A scramjet is a special type of ramjet where the air inside the jet engine can be burned supersonically... s c ram jet the s means supersonic and the c means combustion... so a scramjet is a supersonic combustion ramjet.

A normal jet engine would choke on supersonic air so they have special intakes to slow the air down. A scramjet could fly as fast as you want because it doesn't need to slow the air coming into it to subsonic speeds to burn fuel inside.
    Arrow

Post  Arrow Thu May 05, 2016 3:54 am

Russia in warhead project 4202 use scramjet engine ?

Post  Guest Thu May 05, 2016 4:51 am

sepheronx wrote:The LII preparing to test an experimental hypersonic vehicle

Russia and other developments in Hypersonic Research - Page 12 2004_-1-696x327

Russia and other developments in Hypersonic Research - Page 12 2004

Russia and other developments in Hypersonic Research - Page 12 HypersonicaircraftDRDO
    victor1985

Post  victor1985 Thu May 05, 2016 8:04 pm

max steel wrote: Strategic delivery systems being replaced with new systems or completely rebuilt with essentially all new parts.In defence US will use THAAD-ER to kill hypersonic gliding vehicles.

unlikely to happen if gliding vehicles would have computer aproximation of interception point and decrease/increase at will of speed.....
    victor1985

Post  victor1985 Thu May 05, 2016 8:09 pm

sepheronx wrote:
    GunshipDemocracy wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:The missile in question traveled at Mach 5, not Mach 10.

Still 5Ma for maneuvering object makes is hard to intercept. I thought however you were talking about PGS.

1) PGS speeds should reach any point in less then hour. Simplifying then Earth is a ball with then 10,000km/h is minimum ( >9 Ma)
    2) Ceiling is to be exo-atmospheric up to 100km

In such conditions S-400 is apparently not enough that´s why explicit requirement for S-500 is to be able to cope with hypersonic missiles..

Magnum is correct for the most part.  Essentially, the interceptor does not have to travel at a greater speed than incoming missile does, especially the type of interception.  If it has to intecept it from behind, then it would be a problem, but in this case, the interceptor missile 48N6E3 is capable of Mach 6.2 and the missile in question is the X-51 which couldn't get higher than Mach 5 and as Magnum said, at last minute as it traveled much slower before hand.  If you are talking about the Global Strike system, then clearly this either isn't it or misquoting is happening in regards what it is supposed to achieve in terms of speed.  As Garry said, a Ballistic missile warhead travels at around Mach 25 or so and the S-500 is supposed to be able to engage those targets with their interceptor missiles flying slower.  Cause it is supposed to already calculate before launch when the point of the interceptor will meet up with the enemy missile at X distance.  Like how any other ABM system works.

http://www.deagel.com/Air-Defense-Systems/S-400_a000371001.aspx

Russia and other developments in Hypersonic Research - Page 12 B4Hxd6n

Tagets max speed the S-400 can engage is Mach 14.5 or 4,800 mps
    bigger the speed of the interceptor means the incoming missile must make a circle like moving to escape at all from a interception point ...... but turning at high speed is hard to make....dont know the situation in upper atmosphere where the earth atraction is low and the atmosphere is not so dense
    victor1985

Post  victor1985 Thu May 05, 2016 8:14 pm

GunshipDemocracy wrote:Just my 2 cents kopecks here:

1) Orbital speed on sea level is ~24Ma (7,9km/s) so S-500 interception speed is not pulled out of the thin air

2) PGS is to fly high. 70-100km Not only atmospheric friction, also higher atmosphere layers can hamper radio waves propagation so detection might be too late...

3) Kinetic interceptors indeed are to hit gliders I do not recall explicit statement about maneuvering gliders

The case or maneuvering warheads is utmost important for Russia as US is steadily preparing for aggression.  I am not sure what benefit besides new technology gives PGS over MIRV warhead delivery? All in all Russians can use a glider on Voivoda class missile to with conventional warhead to send down any carrier in the World.
    in the case of detection are some radio waves that are going trought the upper atmosphere but not low ....
    but a high altitude a drone or a baloon like radar could take at half way the radio waves and transform into desirable waves
    why the warhead cant be simply put into a rocket that is on the ICBM?
    GunshipDemocracy
    GunshipDemocracy

Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

Post  GunshipDemocracy Thu May 05, 2016 9:46 pm

victor1985 wrote: in the case of detection are some radio waves that are going trought the upper atmosphere but not low ....
    but a high altitude a drone or a baloon like radar could take at half way the radio waves and transform into desirable waves
    why the warhead cant be simply put into a rocket that is on the ICBM?

Not sure why against Russia but probably because of price. PGS is gonna be relatively cheap comparing to ICBMs and its mass application can be used as first attack (subs, orbit, genocide lovers NATO left flank) - to decapitate Russian defences. it is cheaper to own the land with so many natural resources if not contaminated by radiation...
    x_54_u43
    x_54_u43

Post  x_54_u43 Mon May 09, 2016 7:54 am

Russia and other developments in Hypersonic Research - Page 12 02-41710

Patent for hypersonic weapon.
    Zivo
    Zivo

Post  Zivo Thu May 12, 2016 5:14 am

x_54_u43 wrote:Russia and other developments in Hypersonic Research - Page 12 02-41710

Patent for hypersonic weapon.

So it gets off the ground with a booster. When it reaches altitude, the booster drops and the scramjet kicks in. When it reaches the target the scramjet drops and it glides to the target and a hypersonic velocity.
    Arrow

Post  Arrow Thu May 12, 2016 7:47 am

Zircon will be fly very high about 30 km. It will be easy to detect.

Post  Guest Thu May 12, 2016 7:50 am

Arrow wrote:Zircon will be fly very high about 30 km. It will be easy to detect.

So? ICBMs fly very high too and are very easy to detect, how does that help the target these days?
    Arrow

Post  Arrow Thu May 12, 2016 8:05 am

ICBM is much more difficult to shoot down.
    GunshipDemocracy
    GunshipDemocracy

Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

Post  GunshipDemocracy Thu May 12, 2016 10:18 am

Arrow wrote:ICBM is much more difficult to shoot down.

high, extremely fast and dodging? not that easy target.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:10 am