Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Buk SAM system General Thread

    Share

    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1967
    Points : 2092
    Join date : 2013-05-20

    Re: Buk SAM system General Thread

    Post  Morpheus Eberhardt on Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:42 am

    jhelb wrote:
    Morpheus Eberhardt wrote:
    The technologies used to achieve these hypersonic speeds include one or more of the following. With all of these technologies, the speed after the reentry can be higher or lower than the reentry speed.

    1- Very low-drag RV design with exotic heat-resistance techniques.

    2- RVs with propulsion systems like scramjet engines and/or rocket engines.

    3- Variable-geometry RVs.

    Great input as always Morpheus. Many Thanks.

    This is just going to open up into a long line of questions. .I don't want to bother you. Last one, though. I am venturing to guess you won't have the time to explain each of these technologies in details, so can you please share some links, from where I can read about these technologies? Thanks again.

    Thanks, jhelb,

    I'll continue this topic in some future posts.

    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1967
    Points : 2092
    Join date : 2013-05-20

    Re: Buk SAM system General Thread

    Post  Morpheus Eberhardt on Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:49 pm

    Morpheus Eberhardt wrote:
    jhelb wrote:
    Morpheus Eberhardt wrote:
    The technologies used to achieve these hypersonic speeds include one or more of the following. With all of these technologies, the speed after the reentry can be higher or lower than the reentry speed.

    1- Very low-drag RV design with exotic heat-resistance techniques.

    2- RVs with propulsion systems like scramjet engines and/or rocket engines.

    3- Variable-geometry RVs.

    Great input as always Morpheus. Many Thanks.

    This is just going to open up into a long line of questions. .I don't want to bother you. Last one, though. I am venturing to guess you won't have the time to explain each of these technologies in details, so can you please share some links, from where I can read about these technologies? Thanks again.

    Thanks, jhelb,

    I'll continue this topic in some future posts.

    jhelb,

    I moved this topic to http://www.russiadefence.net/t2758p200-russia-us-and-other-developments-in-hypersonic-research#157844


    Last edited by Morpheus Eberhardt on Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

    jhelb
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

    Posts : 417
    Points : 481
    Join date : 2015-04-04
    Location : Previously: Belarus Currently: A Small Island No One Cares About

    Re: Buk SAM system General Thread

    Post  jhelb on Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:36 pm


    Sure Morpheus, makes sense.

    Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5628
    Points : 6281
    Join date : 2009-08-25
    Age : 36
    Location : Croatia

    Re: Buk SAM system General Thread

    Post  Viktor on Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:02 pm

    It seems that BUK-M2 is entering service en masse Very Happy

    The anti-aircraft missile compound BBO Transbaikalia set SAM "Buk-M2"

    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1967
    Points : 2092
    Join date : 2013-05-20

    Re: Buk SAM system General Thread

    Post  Morpheus Eberhardt on Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:38 pm


    medo
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3051
    Points : 3149
    Join date : 2010-10-24
    Location : Slovenia

    Re: Buk SAM system General Thread

    Post  medo on Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:18 pm

    Viktor wrote:It seems that BUK-M2 is entering service en masse Very Happy

    The anti-aircraft missile compound BBO Transbaikalia set SAM "Buk-M2"

    True. I think they will produce them parallel with Buk-M3 until Buk-M3 reach needed production level.

    sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 7302
    Points : 7612
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 27
    Location : Canada

    Re: Buk SAM system General Thread

    Post  sepheronx on Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:45 am

    medo wrote:
    Viktor wrote:It seems that BUK-M2 is entering service en masse Very Happy

    The anti-aircraft missile compound BBO Transbaikalia set SAM "Buk-M2"

    True. I think they will produce them parallel with Buk-M3 until Buk-M3 reach needed production level.

    Whats the point? That would be a huge waste of money. Just go straight for the Buk-M3 IMO as it is already going through trials. Might as well wait rather than spend money.

    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1967
    Points : 2092
    Join date : 2013-05-20

    Re: Buk SAM system General Thread

    Post  Morpheus Eberhardt on Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:26 am

    sepheronx wrote:
    medo wrote:
    Viktor wrote:It seems that BUK-M2 is entering service en masse Very Happy

    The anti-aircraft missile compound BBO Transbaikalia set SAM "Buk-M2"

    True. I think they will produce them parallel with Buk-M3 until Buk-M3 reach needed production level.

    Whats the point?  That would be a huge waste of money.  Just go straight for the Buk-M3 IMO as it is already going through trials.  Might as well wait rather than spend money.

    I am quite certain that many of the deployment related announcements merely constitute retcon situations.

    medo
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3051
    Points : 3149
    Join date : 2010-10-24
    Location : Slovenia

    Re: Buk SAM system General Thread

    Post  medo on Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:17 pm

    sepheronx wrote:
    medo wrote:
    Viktor wrote:It seems that BUK-M2 is entering service en masse Very Happy

    The anti-aircraft missile compound BBO Transbaikalia set SAM "Buk-M2"

    True. I think they will produce them parallel with Buk-M3 until Buk-M3 reach needed production level.

    Whats the point?  That would be a huge waste of money.  Just go straight for the Buk-M3 IMO as it is already going through trials.  Might as well wait rather than spend money.

    You know, that production line for new product need time to reach full capacity and it also depend on production of new components for them. Buk-M2 is also already established in Russian military, they have crews for them and units could take them quickly in combat duty. On the other side Buk-M3 is new, although very similar to Buk-M2 and will take some time to become fully operational. Times are not nice now and it is better to produce more Buk-M2 for some time and deliver them to combat units, than to loose time and wait for full production of Buk-M3. Buk-M2 is still excellent SAM and Buk-M3 will come in the same time to units. It's nothing wrong to have some more Buk-M2, which could still cover some less important units, when there will be enough Buk-M3 in army.

    Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 4798
    Points : 4845
    Join date : 2015-09-02
    Location : Serbia

    Re: Buk SAM system General Thread

    Post  Militarov on Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:22 pm

    sepheronx wrote:
    medo wrote:
    Viktor wrote:It seems that BUK-M2 is entering service en masse Very Happy

    The anti-aircraft missile compound BBO Transbaikalia set SAM "Buk-M2"

    True. I think they will produce them parallel with Buk-M3 until Buk-M3 reach needed production level.

    Whats the point?  That would be a huge waste of money.  Just go straight for the Buk-M3 IMO as it is already going through trials.  Might as well wait rather than spend money.

    In cases like this its mostly issue with new components that are installed and which companies that produce them still didnt manage to put in full scale production.

    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 15445
    Points : 16152
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Buk SAM system General Thread

    Post  GarryB on Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:58 am

    Yeah... it is like the Panther problem... changing to produce Panthers they stopped production of perfectly effective Panzer IVs so because Panthers could not be made at the rate the Panzer IVs could be made when Panzer IV production stopped the Panther production was slow so in effect the front troops got neither tank.

    Plenty of older BUK systems in service on land and at sea so production of the older missiles should continue but steps should be taken to convert the existing launchers on land and sea to the new missiles and then old production lines can then be converted to the new missile and there needs to be no shortages of missiles.


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

    d_taddei2
    Captain
    Captain

    Posts : 732
    Points : 892
    Join date : 2013-05-11
    Location : Scotland UK

    reply

    Post  d_taddei2 on Mon May 30, 2016 10:38 pm

    some eye candy





    hoom
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

    Posts : 230
    Points : 232
    Join date : 2016-05-06

    Re: Buk SAM system General Thread

    Post  hoom on Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:22 pm

    Buk-M3 test http://tass.ru/en/defense/884398
    The Buk-M3 system has a range of 70 kilometers ... a maximum firing altitude of 35 kilometers
    Isn't this using 9M317ME missile same as Shtil-1 on Grigorovich?
    Numbers quite a lot bigger than I've seen for that, namely 50km range & 15km vertical, is this dodgy numbers or a Domestic vs Export difference?

    Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5628
    Points : 6281
    Join date : 2009-08-25
    Age : 36
    Location : Croatia

    Re: Buk SAM system General Thread

    Post  Viktor on Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:06 pm

    hoom wrote:Buk-M3 test http://tass.ru/en/defense/884398
    The Buk-M3 system has a range of 70 kilometers ... a maximum firing altitude of 35 kilometers
    Isn't this using 9M317ME missile same as Shtil-1 on Grigorovich?
    Numbers quite a lot bigger than I've seen for that, namely 50km range & 15km vertical, is this dodgy numbers or a Domestic vs Export difference?

    One whole brigade of BUK-M3 will be delivered in 2016 or 3 BUK-M3 regiments. BUK systems deliveries largerly goes under the radar unnoticed but they act as a Dark Knight od the Russian air defense systems Very Happy

    hoom
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

    Posts : 230
    Points : 232
    Join date : 2016-05-06

    Re: Buk SAM system General Thread

    Post  hoom on Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:50 am

    I have no idea how many launchers/sites that is No

    But yes its very easy to underestimate Buk, I thought poorly of it until very recently due to being a big old-style exposed missile.
    More recently I've learned that the fire director radar is not an old dish but a PESA & also that Buk actually has a very good record vs low, fast targets which is altogether a much better class than I'd thought.

    Gur-khan seems to be quoting same press release http://gurkhan.blogspot.co.nz/2016/06/3_24.html
    Has this pic

    I'd expected more of a difference since M3 is said to be a complete rework but does make more sense as an upgrade rather than fully new system.

    magnumcromagnon
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 4468
    Points : 4659
    Join date : 2013-12-05
    Location : Pindos ave., Pindosville, Pindosylvania, Pindostan

    Re: Buk SAM system General Thread

    Post  magnumcromagnon on Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:07 am

    hoom wrote:I have no idea how many launchers/sites that is No

    But yes its very easy to underestimate Buk, I thought poorly of it until very recently due to being a big old-style exposed missile.
    More recently I've learned that the fire director radar is not an old dish but a PESA & also that Buk actually has a very good record vs low, fast targets which is altogether a much better class than I'd thought.

    Gur-khan seems to be quoting same press release http://gurkhan.blogspot.co.nz/2016/06/3_24.html
    Has this pic

    I'd expected more of a difference since M3 is said to be a complete rework but does make more sense as an upgrade rather than fully new system.

    The new Buk-M3 has very comparable characteristics to the old S-300 (PS, PM), with the exception that one of the Buk-M3 vehicles is capable of holding 12 missiles compared to the 4 missiles on the early versions of S-300...that's a 3-fold increase in firepower btw!

    sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 7302
    Points : 7612
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 27
    Location : Canada

    Re: Buk SAM system General Thread

    Post  sepheronx on Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:57 am

    It makes sense to now cover a different aspect in the Army's air defense capabilities since Tor's newer missiles also fly quite high and far. This Buk-M3 gives it capabilities that at least meets between S-300V series and Tor. But something is needed between Tor and Buk and that is of course the possible track version of Pantsir (since Pantsir does outdo Tungushka quite a bit).

    Look forward to hearing test results (if it becomes public info).

    hoom
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

    Posts : 230
    Points : 232
    Join date : 2016-05-06

    Re: Buk SAM system General Thread

    Post  hoom on Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:22 am

    So the Bastion-Karpenko page on Buk-M3 (which I really should have checked before previous post  Embarassed ) does quote the same 70km range/35km height & 9M317M/ME missile.
    Its in several year old quotes too so apparently is legit.

    Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5628
    Points : 6281
    Join date : 2009-08-25
    Age : 36
    Location : Croatia

    Re: Buk SAM system General Thread

    Post  Viktor on Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:54 pm

    hoom wrote:So the Bastion-Karpenko page on Buk-M3 (which I really should have checked before previous post  Embarassed ) does quote the same 70km range/35km height & 9M317M/ME missile.
    Its in several year old quotes too so apparently is legit.

    Yes its legit. It was also mentioned previously in several other publications.

    One brigade should have 36 launchers (24 TELAR and 12 TEL)

    robognus
    Private
    Private

    Posts : 6
    Points : 6
    Join date : 2016-07-29

    Re: Buk SAM system General Thread

    Post  robognus on Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:41 am





    http://bmpd.livejournal.com/2113145.html

    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 9422
    Points : 9914
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Buk SAM system General Thread

    Post  George1 on Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:05 pm

    The Russian Armed Forces have obtained two Buk-M2 missile systems batteries and one Buk-M3 missile system in July-September, Russian Deputy Defense Minister Yuri Borisov said Friday.

    Read more: https://sputniknews.com/military/201610211046578106-russia-buk-systems/


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov


    Skandalwitwe
    Private
    Private

    Posts : 21
    Points : 23
    Join date : 2016-10-22
    Location : beer breweries are numerous here

    Re: Buk SAM system General Thread

    Post  Skandalwitwe on Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:07 pm

    ^^

    That configuration with 12 launch tubes is monstrous...can we expect it rolling out in numbers or is it merely a demonstrator?

    Austin
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5663
    Points : 6069
    Join date : 2010-05-08
    Age : 40
    Location : India

    Re: Buk SAM system General Thread

    Post  Austin on Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:44 pm

    Is there any official information on what kind of Guidance does BUK-M3 uses , Does it uses similar guidance like BUK-M2 which is SARH or they use newer ones like Active Radar Homing ?

    franco
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1728
    Points : 1768
    Join date : 2010-08-18

    Re: Buk SAM system General Thread

    Post  franco on Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:05 pm

    Skandalwitwe wrote:^^

    That configuration with 12 launch tubes is monstrous...can we expect it rolling out in numbers or is it merely a demonstrator?

    That is the loader launcher version or TELL. It has no attack ability on it's own but it's missiles can be launched as long as there is a TELAR (the 6 tube version which also has the tracking control radar) to control them. A normal battery has 2 TELAR's and 1 TELL. Three batteries with a TAR and C3 vehicle make up a battalion. Scheduled to deploy a brigade this year which normally is 3 battalions.

    magnumcromagnon
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 4468
    Points : 4659
    Join date : 2013-12-05
    Location : Pindos ave., Pindosville, Pindosylvania, Pindostan

    Re: Buk SAM system General Thread

    Post  magnumcromagnon on Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:35 pm

    franco wrote:
    Skandalwitwe wrote:^^

    That configuration with 12 launch tubes is monstrous...can we expect it rolling out in numbers or is it merely a demonstrator?

    That is the loader launcher version or TELL. It has no attack ability on it's own but it's missiles can be launched as long as there is a TELAR (the 6 tube version which also has the tracking control radar) to control them. A normal battery has 2 TELAR's and 1 TELL. Three batteries with a TAR and C3 vehicle make up a battalion. Scheduled to deploy a brigade this year which normally is 3 battalions.

    So a normal battery has 24 missiles ready to launch? Something like 6 per TELAR (x2), and 12 per TELL (x1), giving us 24?

    Sponsored content

    Re: Buk SAM system General Thread

    Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:38 am


      Current date/time is Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:38 am