Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+66
TMA1
thegopnik
Podlodka77
Krepost
lyle6
LMFS
The-thing-next-door
Isos
Slevin
dino00
Hole
miketheterrible
ZoA
Benya
kvs
storm333
kopyo-21
Skandalwitwe
hoom
d_taddei2
jhelb
coolieno99
max steel
JohninMK
PapaDragon
franco
Rmf
Akula971
Book.
calripson
GunshipDemocracy
Cyberspec
Anas Ali
Kyo
Mindstorm
RTN
Mike E
Werewolf
Sujoy
Regular
fragmachine
magnumcromagnon
collegeboy16
zino
NickM
SOC
sepheronx
Rpg type 7v
Morpheus Eberhardt
mack8
xeno
Viktor
medo
Zivo
GarryB
TheArmenian
Austin
flamming_python
George1
Andy_Wiz
Lycz3
IronsightSniper
TR1
Stealthflanker
SerbNationalist
Robert.V
70 posters

BUK SAM system Thread

George1
    George1

BUK SAM system Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: BUK SAM system Thread

Post  George1 Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:59 pm

New cutting-edge missile designed to Buk-M3 air defense systems — Russian defense ministry

MOSCOW, December 26. /TASS/. A new cutting-edge missile has been created for the Buk-M3 medium-range air defense missile system, Lieutenant General Alexander Leonov, the commander of Russia’s air defense troops, told the Russian News Service on Saturday.
    "The self-propelled system’s transport and firing boxes are designed to hold six missiles. Missiles are more compact but are more precise and capable of flying longer distances. So, it can be called a new unique missile capable of efficiently hitting air targets," he said.
    He said the capacity of the new missile system had been boosted by 1.5 times as it is capable of holding six missiles instead of four.
    Earlier, a source in Russia’s defense ministry told TASS the Buk-M3 missile systems would be included into the Russia army’ inventory before the end of 2016 and would arrive to the army starting from 2016.
    The Buk-M3 system is superior to the S-300 air defense missile system by a number of characteristics, including the kill probability. The Buk-M3 system has a range of 70 kilometers (43.5 miles), which is 25 kilometers (15.5 miles) more compared to previous versions of the Buk antiaircraft missile system.
    The Buk-M3 has a maximum firing altitude of 35 kilometers (21.7 miles).

More:
    http://tass.ru/en/defense/847164
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:53 am

Hopefully .... whole brigade of BUK-M3 Laughing Laughing Laughing thumbsup

"Buk-M3" against ATACMS: why Russian missiles exceed the American complex (PHOTO)

This year, the Ground Forces should take to equip the first brigade sets of anti-aircraft missile system of medium-range "Buk-M3."
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:59 am

Aircraft Killer: New Russian Buk-M3 SAM System to Enter Service Soon

In 2016 the Russian Armed Forces are about to receive a new and deadly addition to their arsenal – Buk-M3 surface-to-air missile system (NATO reporting name: SA-17 Grizzly).

The new type of missile used by the launcher is more compact than the ordnance used by its predecessors, allowing Buk-M3 to carry a payload of six instead of four missiles. At the same time, the new missile outclasses previous models in terms of its technical characteristics: it can destroy any type of airborne target in existence, can be used against naval and ground targets, and is extremely resistant to electronic countermeasures.

The Buk-M3 carries its payload in launch containers instead of positioning missiles on external rails. This new feature significantly reduces the time between shots as the launcher no longer has to rotate and elevate the missiles in the direction of a new target: the rockets are launched vertically and adjust their trajectory midair.

The new radar employed by the Buk-M3 allows it to detect airborne flying at extremely low altitudes (5 meters and higher), and increases the maximum destruction range of the weapon to 70 kilometers. The tele-thermal imaging target designator used by the launcher allows it to detect and track targets regardless of the time of day and weather conditions.

According to Zvezda TV channel, a division of Buk-M3 can simultaneously track and engage up to 36 targets, with the probability of hitting a target with one missile reaching a 0.9999 percent certainty. The weapon system can also intercept and destroy airborne targets flying at a speed of 3 kilometers per second (for example, the speed of a missile fired by a US-made MGM-140 ATACMS surface-to-air missile launcher doesn’t exceed 1.5 kilometers per hour).

The first Buk-M3 divisions are expected to enter service this year as part of the ongoing general rearmament program, and will provide a considerable boost to Russia’s already formidable anti-air capabilities.

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/russia/20160109/1032883553/buk-new-anti-aircraft-weapon.html#ixzz3wpX3xk7K
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:30 pm

Oops... I suspect they meant a 0.9999 probability of a kill, which is of course 99.99%, and I suspect they also meant ATCMs travels at 1.5km/s rather than 1.5km/h...

Should be interesting to see the May day parade this year... I hope there are a few new revelations...

Post  Guest Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:19 pm

(for example, the speed of a missile fired by a US-made MGM-140 ATACMS surface-to-air missile launcher doesn’t exceed 1.5 kilometers per hour).

What O.o
    max steel
    max steel

Post  max steel Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:38 pm

can BUK-M2-SAM intercept ATACMS ?

Post  Guest Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:10 pm

max steel wrote:can BUK-M2-SAM intercept ATACMS ?

I dont see why not, its not "real" balistic missile so it shouldnt be much of an issue to be engaged with medium range SAM.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:44 am

can BUK-M2-SAM intercept ATACMS ?

According to the article BUK can intercept 3km/s targets and ATCMs travels at half that speed at 1.5km/s.... so I would say yes.
    coolieno99
    coolieno99

Post  coolieno99 Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:23 am

BUK-M3
    The missiles are stored in cannisters.

BUK SAM system Thread - Page 12 The_ru11
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:54 pm

During 2016 Russian Army PVO will receive 3 BUK-M2 regiments - same as in 2015

The Russian military will have in 2016 three new division "Buckow"
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:49 pm

Viktor wrote:During 2016 Russian Army PVO will receive 3 BUK-M2 regiments - same as in 2015

3 battalions, not regiments. Anyway in 2 years they will receive 1 and a half brigade of Buk-M2, what is good.
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:19 pm

medo wrote:
    Viktor wrote:During 2016 Russian Army PVO will receive 3 BUK-M2 regiments - same as in 2015

3 battalions, not regiments. Anyway in 2 years they will receive 1 and a half brigade of Buk-M2, what is good.

Divisions in Army PVO means regiments because there cn never be battery organizational unit in Army PVO
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:49 pm

Viktor wrote:
    medo wrote:

Divisions in Army PVO means regiments because there cn never be battery organizational unit in Army PVO

AFAIK army PVO also have batteries. 4 Tor TELARs form a battery. 6 Tunguska vehicles form a battery. 6 Strela-10 form a battery. I think they have batteries and divisions (battalions) as higher level. I'm not sure about bigger Buk or S-300 complexes, if there is division (6 launchers) the basic unit or it is divided in batteries also (3 launchers).
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:01 pm

medo wrote:
    Viktor wrote:
    medo wrote:

AFAIK army PVO also have batteries. 4 Tor TELARs form a battery. 6 Tunguska vehicles form a battery. 6 Strela-10 form a battery. I think they have batteries and divisions (battalions) as higher level. I'm not sure about bigger Buk or S-300 complexes, if there is division (6 launchers) the basic unit or it is divided in batteries also (3 launchers).

All true. But because in Army PVO short range units serve for the protection of bigger ranged units while in teritorial they can serve indenpendently. This is because Army PVO units have bigger minimum kill zone than territorial PVO and that thy are exposed to much more than territorial units and the same reason why army PVO units have only regiment as a smallest operational unit ... Smile
    Thats why Army PVO units that counts as a protection only serves bigger ranged SAMs.

Army PVO are therefore more rigid even in electronics and beceuse which is why more prone to countermeassures (but was hastly dealth with in latter on modifications and the unification with Baikal-1M)

That came as a shock to west as a BUK came out from nowhere in vast quantities with cheap modernizations ... Smile ... S-300V4 in 9 fricking brigades. Even S-500 missiles will be based on S-300V4 missiles. Tor-M2 carries double the missiles double the guidance and shots in the move. We have Verba and brand new Ranzir ... Smile ... I could go on.
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:21 pm

Viktor wrote:
    medo wrote:
    Viktor wrote:
    medo wrote:

All true. But because in Army PVO short range units serve for the protection of bigger ranged units while in teritorial they can serve indenpendently. This is because Army PVO units have bigger minimum kill zone than territorial PVO and that thy are exposed to much more than territorial units and the same reason why army PVO units have only regiment as a smallest operational unit ... Smile
    Thats why Army PVO units that counts as a protection only serves bigger ranged SAMs.

Army PVO are therefore more rigid even in electronics and beceuse which is why more prone to countermeassures (but was hastly dealth with in latter on modifications and the unification with Baikal-1M)

I'm not sure if you are not mixing VKO-PVO with Army PVO. I think VKO-PVO have regiments, where SHORAD battery like Pantsir is there exactly for protection of S-300/400 regiment and 2 regiments form a brigade. Army PVO is different, because it is mostly not in form of independent unit, but inside bigger ground forces unit, like air defense battery inside ground forces battalion or air defense division inside ground forces brigade and larger the unit, longer is the range of air defense. In battalion level air defense is mostly VSHORAD like MANPADs or Strela-10, in brigade you have longer range SHORADs and maybe even medium range Buk (depend on importance of brigade). In ground forces division you have medium range Buks and maybe even long range S-300V, while in army you have all levels of air defense and their commanding line went in the same way as with units, they are defending.
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:07 am

You can easily check over the internet but its other way around. Army PVO units exist only as a regimental units as smallest operational units. VKO-PVO has battery (division) as a smallest operational unit.
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:55 pm

Also new BUK-M3 regiment is scheduled for 2016 entry as S-350 is going on state acceptance tests. Only thing missing is Morfei but nevertheless they batter take their time and made it as was envisaged  Very Happy
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:16 am

Viktor wrote:Also new BUK-M3 regiment is scheduled for 2016 entry as S-350 is going on state acceptance tests. Only thing missing is Morfei but nevertheless they batter take their time and made it as was envisaged  Very Happy

I really hope Morfei comes with a high amount of missiles per launcher. Ideally speaking I hope Morfei has at least 50 missiles per launcher, because at such point blank range (5 km max range) you'll need to saturate PGM's with a abnormally high amount of missiles to make up for the short range (assuming some how the Pantsir's and Tor's are out of the picture), with many missiles to spare. Nothings scarier than being on the receiving end of a Grad salvo!
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:46 am

Does not specify how many but some new BUK-M2 just arrived in the South Military district thumbsup

"Buk-M2" put in 106 Training Centre Air Defence Ground Forces
    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Morpheus Eberhardt

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:05 am

magnumcromagnon wrote:
    Viktor wrote:Also new BUK-M3 regiment is scheduled for 2016 entry as S-350 is going on state acceptance tests. Only thing missing is Morfei but nevertheless they batter take their time and made it as was envisaged  Very Happy

I really hope Morfei comes with a high amount of missiles per launcher. Ideally speaking I hope Morfei has at least 50 missiles per launcher, because at such point blank range (5 km max range) you'll need to saturate PGM's with a abnormally high amount of missiles to make up for the short range (assuming some how the Pantsir's and Tor's are out of the picture), with many missiles to spare. Nothings scarier than being on the receiving end of a Grad salvo!

Even if we take into account all aspects regarding the publication of military specs, the 5 km max range figure for Morfej may be the result of journalistic incompetence. I have seen the more credible figure of 50 km; so the 5 km figure may be just due to journalistic typographical incompetence.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:06 am

As far as I am aware the Morfei is intended to be a small short range anti aircraft missile... akin to the SA-9/-11 Strela-10 and R-73 short range AAM. Not a MANPAD but a step up from one...

In this context I would expect a range of 10-15km from a ground launched model and with an IIR seeker and datalink enabling lock on after launch 10-15km would be the range at which targets could be safely attacked while being detected and identified properly from a ground based launcher.

I have no evidence to support this, but R-73 is described as being able to hit targets at up to 45km in ideal conditions (ie high altitude launch at high speed against a target with a distinct IR signature heading towards the missile launcher...

50km range in a similar scenario would make sense to me especially with the lock on after launch datalink and improved seeker...

For ground launch I think 5-15km range would be reasonable... especially with no booster.
    jhelb
    jhelb

Location : Previously: Belarus Currently: A Small Island No One Cares About

Post  jhelb Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:22 pm

Morpheus Eberhardt wrote:Even if we take into account all aspects regarding the publication of military specs, the 5 km max range figure for Morfej may be the result of journalistic incompetence. I have seen the more credible figure of 50 km; so the 5 km figure may be just due to journalistic typographical incompetence.

Morpheus, somewhat off topic. Is the speed of an ICBM maximum when it is outside the Earth's atmosphere or is it maximum when it enters the Earth's atmosphere travelling towards its target? Thank You.
    Austin

Post  Austin Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:59 pm

BUK-M3 Info , It claims it has ARH seeker , Can some one confirm if this is true ?

http://www.arms-expo.ru/armament/samples/1238/66293/

Each division, armed SAM "Buk-M3", has targeted 36 channels and is equipped with the latest models of missiles with active GSN.
    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Morpheus Eberhardt

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:40 pm

jhelb wrote:
    Morpheus, somewhat off topic. Is the speed of an ICBM maximum when it is outside the Earth's atmosphere or is it maximum when it enters the Earth's atmosphere travelling towards its target? Thank You.

jhelb,

Sorry for the late reply. I just saw your post.

If there was no atmosphere, the speed of the reentry vehicle (RV) would have been maximum at the last point on its trajectory; so for a "surface burst", the speed would have been highest at the surface.

However, the atmosphere generates drag. Ignoring the engineering issues related to the RV design, due to the interaction between the RV and the atmosphere, the speed at the last point on the trajectory can be lower or higher than the "reentry speed". The reentry speed can be "defined" in this context as the maximum speed during the descending portion of the trajectory before the atmospheric drag starts to "perceptibly" impact the RV's dynamics.

In the case of a Minuteman III, for example, the speed of the RVs at the last point on their trajectory are much lower than their reentry speed; they are far below hypersonic.

The Russian hypersonic RVs have hypersonic speeds after the reentry. This hypersonic speed can be higher or lower than the RVs' reentry speed.

The technologies used to achieve these hypersonic speeds include one or more of the following. With all of these technologies, the speed after the reentry can be higher or lower than the reentry speed.

1- Very low-drag RV design with exotic heat-resistance techniques.

2- RVs with propulsion systems like scramjet engines and/or rocket engines.

3- Variable-geometry RVs.
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:00 pm

Austin wrote:BUK-M3 Info , It claims it has ARH seeker , Can some one confirm if this is true ?

http://www.arms-expo.ru/armament/samples/1238/66293/

Each division, armed SAM "Buk-M3", has targeted 36 channels and is equipped with the latest models of missiles with active GSN.

AFAIK Buk-M2 already have ARH with 9M317 missile.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:25 pm