Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+8
George1
Benya
par far
GarryB
Hoof
nightcrawler
Admin
IronsightSniper
12 posters

Russian Army Rations/Food

IronsightSniper
    IronsightSniper

Russian Army Rations/Food Empty Russian Army Rations/Food

Post  IronsightSniper Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:58 pm

I've only seen 3 examples of Russian rations and none of them look a bit as appetizing as our MREs.

The first one is a review from a guy who has apparently bought some Russian rations.

"I would not eat the ration again, the taste and quality are not good.

The two main meals are full of fat and oil - not enough spices and too much salt - but a lot of beef. I had to heat it in the microwave. It's like food from the Middle Ages."

The second example was a simple picture from a set of photos from a long lost discussion forum regarding Russian Spetsnaz. It was basically a photo of his food, which was, if I remember: a tin ration plate similar to the ones we have here except it was more of a bowl and didn't have sections for different foods, in the bowl was something that resembled apple sauce, and on top of that was some fish (I can only remember seeing it's head). Nearby the fish and still in the bowl were 1 or 2 slices of bread. To drink, the guy had a ceramic cup with coffee or tea. Tbqh, only that drink sounds appetizing.

The last came from one of Vlad's videos on Youtube, https://www.youtube.com/user/russiadefence#p/u/29/1qi_sxy_3z4 , at 3:20, the guy enters the Cafeteria, the food seems nicer there (although I've noticed that many things in Russia looks uncrappy when a HD camera is used).

So, for the most part, from what little experience I've seen of Russian rations, they look pretty bad, however, I'm open for change, anyone want to make a long post describing Russian rations?
    Admin
    Admin

Russian Army Rations/Food Empty Re: Russian Army Rations/Food

Post  Admin Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:04 pm

The basic format for the Russian IRP is a bunch of different kinds of canned beef. It comes with a can opener and portable heater. You get a bunch of crackers that we usually use the meat as a spread. The canned sausage is probably my favourite. The fruit punch mix is good. Tea is some cheap Chinese crap. Usually comes with a couple pieces of candy. The worst is when they try to can rice, it because nothing but fatty mush.

The last came from one of Vlad's videos on Youtube, https://www.youtube.com/user/russiadefence#p/u/29/1qi_sxy_3z4 , at 3:20, the guy enters the Cafeteria, the food seems nicer there (although I've noticed that many things in Russia looks uncrappy when a HD camera is used).

I have eaten in that mess hall. That was before caterers. The food was like that served in a cafeteria.
    IronsightSniper
    IronsightSniper

Post  IronsightSniper Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:50 pm

How many varieties of food are available? The site in the OP (MREInfo) only shows one apparent variety for the IRP as shown in this picture:

Russian Army Rations/Food Russian-ration-th-parts06

And the menu (translated):

Russian Army Rations/Food Russian-menu-english-1024
    nightcrawler
    nightcrawler

Post  nightcrawler Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:23 pm

very interesting thread thumbsup
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:31 am

IronsightSniper wrote:How many varieties of food are available? The site in the OP (MREInfo) only shows one apparent variety for the IRP as shown in this picture:

There is only 1 menu for the IRP, and one menu for the IRP-B which is the combat ration. It is an emergency ration meant to replenish calories when prepared food is not available. If you eat it for more than a few days you will get sick.
    Hoof
    Hoof

Russian Army Rations/Food Empty MRE

Post  Hoof Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:38 pm

I think its the case with all the MREs... they make you sick after a while... I was eating MREs for about a week, after I ate 2 of them in one day, it took me 3 days to "go"... and another time I ate just one vegitarian MRE and it made me sick... i think it was called Penni Pasta or something... I don't think i gonna eat another MRE unless i absolutely have to... even if I have to wait for 12 hours to get something else...
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:27 am

I remember lots of complaints when MREs first came out.

One particular nickname says it all...

Meals Rejected by Ethiopians.

The New Zealand Army has spent quite a bit developing Rations for the troops...

Here is a link if you are interested:

http://www.army.mil.nz/at-a-glance/news/army-news/396/wiyrp.htm

and they come from this company:

http://www.portionpackfoods.com/products_military.html

Hoof
    Hoof

Post  Hoof Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:46 am

Seems pretty good... there was a youtube video about new Russian MREs... Seems a lot different from the one Ironsightsniper showed, here is a link, sorry if i didnt post it right...

[youtube]code - Embed https://www.youtube.com/user/zlajasobaka#p/u/8/mM8tojFCfpY [/youtube]
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:25 am

To embed video from youtube you just click on the link in the top line when you are typing your post that looks like filmstrip and paste in the direct link to the video you want to embed and click on OK.

Very easy... and thanks for the link BTW.

The result should work like this:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/user/zlajasobaka#p/u/8/mM8tojFCfpY [/youtube]

And it should look like this:

{youtube}https://www.youtube.com/user/zlajasobaka#p/u/8/mM8tojFCfpY{/youtube}

Except I change the [] brackets with {} brackets so you can see the code layout.

EDIT: Well this is embarassing... it doesn't seem to be working. Vlad? Anyone? What am I doing wrong?
    IronsightSniper
    IronsightSniper

Post  IronsightSniper Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:26 am

GarryB wrote:I remember lots of complaints when MREs first came out.

One particular nickname says it all...

Meals Rejected by Ethiopians.

The New Zealand Army has spent quite a bit developing Rations for the troops...

Here is a link if you are interested:

http://www.army.mil.nz/at-a-glance/news/army-news/396/wiyrp.htm

and they come from this company:

http://www.portionpackfoods.com/products_military.html

Don't forget Meal Ready to Excrete.

Russian Army Rations/Food Empty Russian army field ration

Post  Guest Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:22 pm

Youtube video of unpacking and tasting new Russian army 24h field ration. If someone has other versions on video, pics or at least their content share.
    par far

Russian Army Rations/Food Empty Russian Army Food/Supplements

Post  par far Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:04 pm

What kind of food do Russian Army soldiers get? And does anyone know if the Russian Army uses supplements?
    Benya
    Benya

Post  Benya Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:13 am

This is the Individual Ration Pack (IRP) for Russian soldiers

George1
    George1

Post  George1 Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:18 pm

The Ministry of Defense has developed special army rations for the Airborne Forces, marines and special forces
    Today, 12: 49
    Russian Army Rations/Food 16137210

The Department of Defense has developed special army rations for the Airborne Forces, Special Forces and the Marine Corps, deliveries begin this year. This was announced by Colonel Sergei Nikhelman, head of the (food) department of resource support of the Ministry of Defense, in an interview with the newspaper Nezavisimoye Voennoye Obozreniye.

Answering the relevant question, Nikhelman explained that the new special army ration, developed in accordance with the requirements of the Airborne Forces, Marine Corps and Special Forces, became twice as compact, while improving in terms of nutritional value.

We have a large number of foods that contain carbohydrates. This ensures fast saturation and recovery of energy, which is very important in conditions of intense combat.
    - he explained.

Also, the Ministry of Defense is developing special rations for military personnel in hot climatic conditions, including Syria. In such diets, the main emphasis is placed on compensating for the rapid loss of moisture and saturating the body with vitamins and mineral salts, which is necessary for the Russian military in these conditions.

It is noted that, unlike NATO rations, Russian army rations contain fewer chemicals and preservatives, so the shelf life of domestic food rations is only two years, as opposed to five years for Western rations.

Our ration is stored for a maximum of two years. At the same time, it is constantly consumed as military units conduct combat training activities, so that there is always a fresh supply in warehouses
    - said Nikhelman.

He stressed that rations are currently being developed not for a specific type or kind of the Armed Forces, but based on the climatic conditions where certain units of the Russian army operate. Therefore, servicemen of the same type of troops located in the Arctic or Syria will receive completely different army rations, designed to be used in these conditions.

https://en.topwar.ru/180129-minoborony-razrabotalo-specialnye-armejskie-pajki-dlja-vdv-morskoj-pehoty-i-specnaza.html

GarryB and Hole like this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:44 am

There is a large market in the west for compact healthy food for camping or hiking or fishing or shooting trips, I wonder if they thought of putting together some other meals that you could take on holiday... they already have a captive market for their food for contracts to feed the troops, but it would be a useful exercise for them to also produce food for recreational hunters and campers... certainly for Russian hunters and campers they could evolve and develop their meals to suit local tastes which should make them more popular.

Just commercial sales will tell them what people like or don't like... they could give away free samples for people to try and give feedback on to determine what people in different countries might be interested in.

Such packs usually include cooking consumables and can be dropped in places where there has been a catastrophe or emergency...

There was recently an incident where a road in Siberia was changed to a much shorter route and so the longer route was no longer used and a car was found that had broken down and the driver had frozen to death because there was no other traffic on that road... it had all gone the new shorter road...

Having a few drones around the place monitoring cars and looking for signals for help that could drop food and fire starting materials and perhaps first aid gear and communications equipment would be a useful thing too.... and in arid areas like the Sahara a large container filled with water would obviously be a good thing too.

flamming_python likes this post

Atmosphere
    Atmosphere

Post  Atmosphere Sun May 09, 2021 4:09 am

Out of force of habit , you may hear some complaints about these rations not having angled contours , and smooth flush surfaces , and overall , being 20 years behind the west.

GarryB likes this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:06 am

kvs and TMA1 like this post

kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:36 pm

Poor choice for protein in that MRE. Chicken breast is rather useless. Chicken and turkey dark meat (legs, etc) have much better nutritional value.

They really should deploy something like pemican which is dried meat (uncooked, ground up) with a generous amount of animal fat and some dried
    berries thrown in. This is a real life proven food and also conforms to current understanding of nutrition. Carbs are low quality ingredients that
    deplete B complex vitamins.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:15 am

Would suggest there was plenty of protein in the can that he called pate.

That was just one meal, you don't have the same thing every day, you need a bit of variety and this probably represents variety.

Modern assault rifles are pretty good calibres in terms of energy and range for hunting medium game like small deer and goats and sheep if you are hungry.

I would say the best solution in a survival situation would be to pull a couple of bullets and have a lot at them. If they have an open base like 7.62x39mm ammo does then push them into the case backwards and they will effectively act as soft nose hunting ammo... you might want to load them manually and shoot from as close a range as possible. If they are not hollow based the get a file and file the nose of the round down to the point where you see lead showing and just give it a + shaped score on the nose to help it mushroom on impact.

Shooting animals with military FMJ is very unethical as it will tend to punch a clean hole through the animal which can often lead to them running quite a distance before they collapse over loss of blood.

The meat from one animal will feed a group for a couple of days if you know what you are doing.

The key is learning how to do it properly before you actually need to do it for real.
    ALAMO

Post  ALAMO Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:21 am

kvs wrote:Poor choice for protein in that MRE.   Chicken breast is rather useless.   Chicken and turkey dark meat (legs, etc) have much better nutritional value.

They really should deploy something like pemican which is dried meat (uncooked, ground up) with a generous amount of animal fat and some dried
    berries thrown in.   This is a real life proven food and also conforms to current understanding of nutrition.    Carbs are low quality ingredients that

It is only one of multiple choices of packets and only one of multiple dishes inside.
    In the daily ration, there are 2 main dishes assisted with a variety of add-ons.
    In most of them - there is a big can of beef luncheon. Or vegetable ragou.
    Those crackers he finds so hard to bite, are not just regular crackers but extremely high calory ones. One pack contains some 500kcal if I remember, and there are 100g of those, two packs.
    You can boil them, getting some kind of wheat soup which is not so bad, especially if you mix it with jam Laughing
    There is some fruit paste or jam, some candies, a sweet bar, coffee, tea, and fruit tee - usually apple.
    Keep in mind that this food should have a lot of varieties.
    Russian ones are one of the best out there, but maybe it is just a matter of individual preferences.
    Polish ones are very high scored either.
    The funny fact is, that Russian MRE was widely available on line before the war started, and used to be quite reasonably priced, so most of the survivalists had them stored.
    That is why it was a great part of antiRussian propaganda.
    The easiest way was to take the package that was known for not being especially tasty and pretend that it is a standard.
    Another example is the fact, that Russians eat a lot of buckwheat. It is extremely healthy and high value food that is not as popular in other places, so a dish made of it can be presented as substandard.
    I have lots of fun just watching the same guys who tried them before the war and loved them, only to find out how bad those are after 240222 Laughing  Laughing  Laughing
    The best filter is to watch things made till 2021.

GarryB, franco and Hole like this post

marcellogo
    marcellogo

Post  marcellogo Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:31 pm

kvs wrote:Poor choice for protein in that MRE.   Chicken breast is rather useless.   Chicken and turkey dark meat (legs, etc) have much better nutritional value.

berries thrown in.   This is a real life proven food and also conforms to current understanding of nutrition.    Carbs are low quality ingredients that

Given they are part of BRICS, biltong would be a great choice.

GarryB likes this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:22 am

There was a video posted on this forum on in one of the earlier Ukraine war threads where they got a Russian MRE and they filmed it because they thought it would be awful and basic and they were laughing and talking about how the enemy suffer with these things, and then they opened it and started to go through it and as they tested each item they found they liked it, and the conversation started to change from what awful food these Russians had to eat, to these bastards are eating well... much better than we are... what bastards... they are even beating us in food quality. They were openly jealous... and I suspect now is no different because as they stopped getting weapons and ammo I rather doubt their food has improved a lot... any good food would likely be intercepted and swapped out...

A couple of local companies started putting out pouches of freeze dried meals where you rip open the outer seal and pour in 500-600mls of boiling water and give it a quick stir and then use the inner seal to seal it up and leave it for about ten minutes. It says it is a meal for two but maybe an elderly couple that sit in front of TV all day.

Most hunting trips I go on I take a few... they are light and easy, and not expensive. Even when I can't be bothered cooking just cut open the pack boil the jug... easy...
    par far

Post  par far Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:21 am

franco likes this post

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:27 pm