Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

3 posters

Russian equivalents of USAF fighter aircrafts

GarryB
    GarryB

Russian equivalents of USAF fighter aircrafts Empty Russian equivalents of USAF fighter aircrafts

Post  GarryB Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:46 am

It certainly is, but Su-35s are in production and are very unlikely to be replaced by the PAK FA any time soon.

The F-22 is a replacement for the F-15C.

The F-35 is supposed to replace everything else.

The PAK FA is a counter and equivalent to the F-22.

The Su-35 is a counter but not equivalent to the F-35.

The Su-34 is an unstealthy equivalent to the F-35.
    George1
    George1

Russian equivalents of USAF fighter aircrafts Empty Re: Russian equivalents of USAF fighter aircrafts

Post  George1 Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:19 am

GarryB wrote:

The Su-34 is an unstealthy equivalent to the F-35.

Su-34 is an equivalent to F-15E Strike Eagle. LMFS is an "on paper" equivalent to the F-35.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Russian equivalents of USAF fighter aircrafts Empty Re: Russian equivalents of USAF fighter aircrafts

Post  GarryB Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:24 am

Su-34 is an equivalent to F-15E Strike Eagle. LMFS is an "on paper" equivalent to the F-35.

Not really.

The Su-34 is more the equivalent of the combination of an F-111 and an F-14.

In fact in performance terms it is more accurately an F-111 and F-18, though with RVV-BD equivalent missiles it could certainly be considered an F-14 without the naval launch capacity.

The F-35 is an attempt to replace a fleet of non stealthy aircraft... for the US and for NATO.

In USAF use it is like the F-16 was to the F-15... it is the junior partner and as such it is the fighter/bomber. If there are F-22s then the F-35 is a bomb truck, whereas if there are only F-35s then it is fighter and fighter/bomber.

For other NATO countries the F-35 is a fighter/bomber to their existing fighters (ie Typhoon/Rafale/Gripen etc), but for those air forces that operated only the F-16 it will be fighter and fighter/bomber.

I guess you are right in the sense that the F-16 in the fighter/bomber role is not an Su-34, so the F-35 is not a dedicated strike aircraft either.

In many ways as the old legasy fighters are retired from USAF service it will likely be a few SDBs in the F-22 that replaces the Strike Eagle.
    SOC
    SOC

Post  SOC Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:44 pm

The Su-34 is more the equivalent of the combination of an F-111 and an F-14.

I could see it as an F-15E equivalent.  Both airframes are long-range, have EO targeting capability, and are legitimate multi-role platforms capable in either A/A or A/G.  And both were derived from existing air superiority fighters Very Happy
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:59 pm

I could see it as an F-15E equivalent. Both airframes are long-range, have EO targeting capability, and are legitimate multi-role platforms capable in either A/A or A/G. And both were derived from existing air superiority fighters

Except that the Su-34 is more optimised for strike and less so for air to air.

It can carry AAMs and in BVR combat it will be fine... especially if it can carry longer range missiles in the pipeline, but at the end of the day it is like calling an Apache Helo with Stingers a fighter... it detracts from the aircraft primary role... both would be mediocre fighters compared with something custom designed for the role like an Su-35.

In many ways the Su-34 is an Su-24 with a better range of AAMs.
    SOC
    SOC

Post  SOC Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:35 am

GarryB wrote:both would be mediocre fighters compared with something custom designed for the role like an Su-35.

That's nice.  I'm still not going near an Su-34 kitted out for A/A that's packing R-73s.  You try it and see what happens.  Go ahead, I'll wait.  

I'll even loan you a fighter tongue
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:12 am

I'm still not going near an Su-34 kitted out for A/A that's packing R-73s. You try it and see what happens. Go ahead, I'll wait.

I'll even loan you a fighter

It is a capable aircraft, and with BVR missiles like RVV-SD and even RVV-BD and its powerful radar and enough fuel to climb up and accelerate to high speed to give its missiles extra reach it would not be a bad fighter, but I just wouldn't want to use it as a dogfighter.

Its top speed at altitude will be the lowest of the Flanker series too.
    SOC
    SOC

Post  SOC Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:26 am

GarryB wrote:It is a capable aircraft, and with BVR missiles like RVV-SD and even RVV-BD and its powerful radar and enough fuel to climb up and accelerate to high speed to give its missiles extra reach it would not be a bad fighter, but I just wouldn't want to use it as a dogfighter.

Its top speed at altitude will be the lowest of the Flanker series too.

I'm not saying use it as a dogfighter, just that in a knife fight with a HOBS AAM it's not going to be a sitting duck by any stretch of the imagination.

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:30 am

I'm not saying use it as a dogfighter, just that in a knife fight with a HOBS AAM it's not going to be a sitting duck by any stretch of the imagination.

With the new 9M100 AAM on its way plus R-37Ms (recently a news report mentioned operational testing of a new missile which it stated would be used on the Mig-31 and "other" aircraft... rather suspect the new missile is the R-37M and that other aircraft might be the Su-35, PAK FA, Mig-35, and Su-34) Should make the Su-34 rather dangerous to be anywhere near, but at the end of the day its focus will be strike and possibly jamming and recon/SEAD.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:07 pm