Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+26
LMFS
Isos
The-thing-next-door
kvs
flamming_python
Mindstorm
higurashihougi
mutantsushi
SeigSoloyvov
Nibiru
Gibraltar
eehnie
d_taddei2
hoom
GunshipDemocracy
AlfaT8
Ives
Hole
verkhoturye51
PTURBG
George1
Admin
kumbor
RTN
PapaDragon
dino00
30 posters

Future russian aircraft carriers. #3

GunshipDemocracy
    GunshipDemocracy

Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

Future russian aircraft carriers. #3 - Page 3 Empty Re: Future russian aircraft carriers. #3

Post  GunshipDemocracy Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:09 pm

LMFS wrote:
    For carrier based fighters Indians developed Brahmos-NG (5m/1,5tons vide Kh-50/GZUR)
    Indian MKIs do not operate from carrier to start with...

but MiG-29k does

Su-57 is surely capable but cannot have both payload and lots of fuel  and short take off. Takeoff weight for AA mission for Su-33 is 3300kg.

BTW What F-35 are you talking about? Russian fighters will meet  F/A-XX at same level at least. 20 years younger tech then in Su-57.
    Mind that deck version as in Su-33 was ~70%more expensive. With small series Su-57 would be for free either.

You don't listen. Su-57 in the weights and thrust  classes stated for izd. 30 could take off easily fully loaded from the short take off runs on the Kuznetsov. I have linked a STOBAR simulation tool to check this [/quote]

aaa if you have tool then laws of physics dont count anymore? like payload and fuel is always max and no extra usage? affraid affraid affraid

F/A-XX is nothing while F-35Cs numbers for the navy have been increased in order to cover the delay until US knows what will follow (NGAD or whatever), procurement scheduled well beyond 2030. Meanwhile Su-57 is starting serial production.

F-35 is not in numbers (340 ?) so far.
    Su-57 is 12, not in series and unlikely navalized (if ever) before 2030s

F/A-XX (fleet fighter)  is to replace F-18 and complement F-35 so yes is will be in numebrs.
    LMFS
    LMFS

Future russian aircraft carriers. #3 - Page 3 Empty Re: Future russian aircraft carriers. #3

Post  LMFS Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:25 pm

true one corvette is never meant to attack CSG alone. It is going to be a distributed firepower with external support and Intel. None the less couple of Zircon armed corvetter create pretty nice sea denial  area
    USN has ten CSGs, so in every relevant situation they will deploy one or two. Corvettes have no survivability against air wing of a CSG so they cannot deny anything unless properly protected.

Zircon was patented in US?  affraid  affraid  affraid
    Russians also have patents!

If GZRU/Kh-50 is gonna be similar then perhaps this is gonna be used by deck fighters.
    For the anti-ship role a supersonic missile is important, so Kh-50 probably not the best candidate. If GZUR fits then it will be used as well, don't know much about it.

I cannot believe waht I am reading.  Lesser missile and fighter performance? Su-33 is dead with F-35 and we do not knwo if Su-57 would better than 2 decades younger F/A-XX. Lesser missile performance in 2030s? so you know what they gonna have then right?

LARSM stealth and high subsonic max  1600km range. Kh-50 same. Where is that  "worse performance"

LARSM subsonic with estimated <600 km range. Where do you have taken your data from? Compare that to Kinzhal...

Regarding the fighters, a naval Su-57 would simply be in another category compared to USN fighters in the foreseeable future, the plane of the same generation of Su-57 in USN being F-35C. F/A-XX is a plane which does not exist and for which no requirements or schedule are fixed. What are the technical characteristics of that plane so that we can compare?

how much F-!8 Superhornes is worse than MiG-35? cannot get where precisely?
    Not much and besides they are way more numerous and better supported. That is why RuN needs the Su-57

wy not 6? or 10? the fact is that Russia has 10x smaller military. There are thing expensive as missile forces or aerospace forces you cannot stop funding.  What expenses would you cut first then?
    Russia is also like ten times more efficient in military procurement than US, so I would expect them finding a good compromise between costs and performance. Four K-sized carriers should be attainable in the long term for a country like Russia, given we are heading into multipolarity. Consider the advantage Russia has in terms of investment in protecting its allies abroad (countries that want to have the freedom to choose allies outside the West) against US (need to force everybody into "alliance"). US faces a law of diminishing returns in terms of projecting power while Russia only needs to be strong enough not to be easily pushed aside, so a reasonable investment in terms of power projection can have big economic returns for them.

There is 4:1 cost ratio between 100kt:40kton CV. Not to mention that with CVN you need also have an  extra LHD. And with all of those you have 0.1 money.
    Where do you take this from? Vlasov says textually that the steel for the hull is peanuts compared to the systems. So if your LHDs are going to have advanced weapons systems and latest technologies they will be expensive too. With the disadvantage that they cannot protect Russian interest in US-disputed areas.

not f-35, F/A XX you mean? Stobar planes are cool the only problem is you cannot afford it.If you buy CVNs you need extra LHDs. And you need LHDs anyway.
    No, F/A-XX is next generation, current one is Su-57 and F-35.
    Do not know exactly what Russia can afford and what not. The K will be kept and apparently they want to build both LHDs and other carriers.
    GunshipDemocracy
    GunshipDemocracy

Post  GunshipDemocracy Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:27 pm

LMFS wrote:
    true one corvette is never meant to attack CSG alone. It is going to be a distributed firepower with external support and Intel. None the less couple of Zircon armed corvetter create pretty nice sea denial  area
    USN has ten CSGs, so in every relevant situation they will deploy one or two. Corvettes have no survivability against air wing of a CSG so they cannot deny anything unless properly protected.

I guess you ge tit wrong. Corvettes or Karakurts are not build to fight CSGs n high seas alone. They are just a part of zonal system of Hoimelnd defense. "Trucks with missiles" if you prefer this way.

Zircon was patented in US?  affraid  affraid  affraid
    Russians also have patents!

but  Im not sure that they made public how their secret missile works for anyone  Suspect  Suspect  Suspect

If GZRU/Kh-50 is gonna be similar then perhaps this is gonna be used by deck fighters.
    For the anti-ship role a supersonic missile is important, so Kh-50 probably not the best candidate. If GZUR fits then it will be used as well, don't know much about it.

Kh-50 is more less LARSM counterpart.  AFAIK GZUR is airborne only,  has size allowing to be on revolver launcher of Tu-22M (thus>5m ) and ~1,500km. They wer etalking about GZUR phases but it was only once soem time ago. Phase i 6-8Ma and Pahse II 12-14Ma

I cannot believe waht I am reading.  Lesser missile and fighter performance? Su-33 is dead with F-35 and we do not knwo if Su-57 would better than 2 decades younger F/A-XX. Lesser missile performance in 2030s? so you know what they gonna have then right?

LARSM stealth and high subsonic max  1600km range. Kh-50 same. Where is that  "worse performance"

LARSM subsonic with estimated <600 km range. Where do you have taken your data from? Compare that to Kinzhal...

Kinzhal is not on suitable for any deck fighter AFAIK. and unliley will be applied in large numbers. As for LRASM my bad I quoted JASSM (related delopment , F-18 can be a carrier)

JASSM-XR
    In September 2018, Lockheed Martin was awarded a contract to develop an "Extreme Range" variant of the AGM-158. The weapon would weigh about 5,000 lb (2,300 kg) and deliver a 2,000 lb (910 kg) warhead out to a range of 1,000 nmi (1,900 km; 1,200 mi); it is planned to be ready by 2023.[47][48]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGM-158C_LRASM

Regarding the fighters, a naval Su-57 would simply be in another category compared to USN fighters in the foreseeable future, the plane of the same generation of Su-57 in USN being F-35C. F/A-XX is a plane which does not exist and for which no requirements or schedule are fixed. What are the technical characteristics of that plane so that we can compare?

F-35 is late by half of generation thet's why F/AXX will overlap. Frist replacing F-18.
    Su-57k doesn't exist and there is no schedule to build it too. There is no fixed schedule for Russian VSTOL fighter either.
    Same  as any of Russian carriers. Su-33/MiG-29k are dead by then. F-18 soon after.

Either you assume they are there in 2030s and what to choose in such environment indeed there is no need to argue.

how much F-!8 Superhornes is worse than MiG-35? cannot get where precisely?
    Not much and besides they are way more numerous and better supported. That is why RuN needs the Su-5

F-18 will be on their way out in late 2030s. Do we discuss this period right 2030s-2040?  

Russia is also like ten times more efficient in military procurement than US, so I would expect them finding a good compromise between costs and performance.

and indeed they did! It is called small universal carrier  lol1  lol1  lol1

Four K-sized carriers should be attainable in the long term for a country like Russia, given we are heading into multipolarity. Consider the advantage Russia has in terms of investment in protecting its allies abroad (countries that want to have the freedom to choose allies outside the West) against US (need to force everybody into "alliance"). US faces a law of diminishing returns in terms of projecting power while Russia only needs to be strong enough not to be easily pushed aside, so a reasonable investment in terms of power projection can have big economic returns for them.

Projecting power with cheaper ships, armed with  ligh but capable fighters will do this job perfectly. Look at Syria anything other is just III WW. Where do you see any intermediate scenario? Waht's more instead of 1 large you can have 2 smaller ships and secure more area.

There is 4:1 cost ratio between 100kt:40kton CV. Not to mention that with CVN you need also have an  extra LHD. And with all of those you have 0.1 money.
    Where do you take this from? Vlasov says textually that the steel for the hull is peanuts compared to the systems. So if your LHDs are going to have advanced weapons systems and latest technologies they will be expensive too. With the disadvantage that they cannot protect Russian interest in US-disputed areas.

It is not mine  but thanks    thumbsup  thumbsup  thumbsup .  Look at costs of Ford:America (or Wasp). Surely 1 bln unfinished EMALS add something to this for sure.

Why thy cannot protect Russian interests? How many Russian fighters were shoot down in Syria by US? or US by Russia? or how many Chinese in South China Sea? so why do you need hundreds there?

not f-35, F/A XX you mean? Stobar planes are cool the only problem is you cannot afford it.If you buy CVNs you need extra LHDs. And you need LHDs anyway.
    No, F/A-XX is next generation, current one is Su-57 and F-35.
    [/quote]

Su-57k is not in series neither, officially for Russian fleet is planned VSTOL. If you prefer next gen too russia russia russia

F/AXX is theoretically intend of 2020  lol1  lol1  lol1 but I am sure end of 2030s they will be available.

Do not know exactly what Russia can afford and what not. The K will be kept and apparently they want to build both LHDs and other carriers.

Kuz was kept for budgetary reasons. And that's good. Taking into account their cuts in all procurement I seriously doubt spending billions more $ for ships that make no difference make sense.  Of course we ll live to see what what they will chose.

Good that at least VSTOL was chosen for a good beginning  russia  russia  russia
    hoom

Post  hoom Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:49 am

HQ Gallery of the light carrier concept http://bastion-karpenko.ru/lma-cnii-45-army-2018/
    Future russian aircraft carriers. #3 - Page 3 LMA_KRULOV_ARMIA-2018_02
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:54 am

Su-57 is surely capable but cannot have both payload and lots of fuel and short take off. Takeoff weight for AA mission for Su-33 is 3300kg.

Its max internal payload will be 4 RVV-BD and the two wing positions for R-73 replacements... so about 200kgs for the two short range AAMs and at about 600kgs each for the heavy AAMs that is 2.4 tons so a total of 2.8 tons of AAMs for the Su-57 so it should be able to get airborne with full weapons and full fuel...

They don't currently have a naval Su-57 because there is no carrier for it to operate from... navalising the Su-57 will take less time than building a new carrier for it to operate from.

Naval Su-57s will have no problems defeating F-35s and anything the US Navy might come up with in the mean time...

HQ Gallery of the light carrier concept

Looks bigger and therefore heavier than the K so I don't see how they can call it a light carrier... unless that is the actual carrier they are talking about...
    LMFS
    LMFS

Post  LMFS Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:58 am

I guess you ge tit wrong. Corvettes or Karakurts are not build to fight CSGs n high seas alone. They are just a part of zonal system of Hoimelnd defense. "Trucks with missiles" if you prefer this way.
    Yes I know, but we were discussing carriers and power projection

but  Im not sure that they made public how their secret missile works for anyone  Suspect  Suspect  Suspect

Future russian aircraft carriers. #3 - Page 3 12387010
    Future russian aircraft carriers. #3 - Page 3 Patent10
    Future russian aircraft carriers. #3 - Page 3 Patent11

Kh-50 is more less LARSM counterpart.  AFAIK GZUR is airborne only,  has size allowing to be on revolver launcher of Tu-22M (thus>5m ) and ~1,500km. They wer etalking about GZUR phases but it was only once soem time ago. Phase i 6-8Ma and Pahse II 12-14Ma
    OK thanks, will keep an eye on those developments...

Kinzhal is not on suitable for any deck fighter AFAIK. and unliley will be applied in large numbers.
    Where Kinzahl or a modification thereof can be launched from is to be seen, we are discussing about the future carrier force of Russia as far as I know. In any case as discussed the MKIs of India can carry a similarly sized weapon and as also shown (simulation tools are based in physics in fact and not in wishful thinking of either side) modern fighters with high T/W ratio can take off full load from ski jumps. So, given the extremely important advantages of such air launched weapons and the technical possibilities it is easy to understand they will be probably deployed in mid to long term. Even in low numbers the threat level they represent is huge for a CSG.

JASSM-XR
    In September 2018, Lockheed Martin was awarded a contract to develop an "Extreme Range" variant of the AGM-158. The weapon would weigh about 5,000 lb (2,300 kg) and deliver a 2,000 lb (910 kg) warhead out to a range of 1,000 nmi (1,900 km; 1,200 mi); it is planned to be ready by 2023.[47][48]
    Ok, now you talk too about a future development, of a sub-sonic missile for land attack and which no USN fighter can carry. This is probably a weapon for USAFs B-1Bs and the like, not an AShM for naval fighters.

F-35 is late by half of generation thet's why F/AXX will overlap. Frist  replacing F-18.
    Aha.... so F-35 is 5.5G and NGAD 6G or how does it go? Not seeing many life signs about the program BTW, maybe you have more info on it?

Either you assume they are there in 2030s and what to choose in such environment indeed there is no need to argue.
    As said potential Su-57 would be mid term, for mid 20's probably due to already existing airframe. I see reasonable to think it could be deployed on the K. But of course I don't know what they plan to do.

All seen until now are private proposals. No official procurement plans disclosed that I know.

Projecting power with cheaper ships, armed with  ligh but capable fighters will do this job perfectly. Look at Syria anything other is just III WW. Where do you see any intermediate scenario?  Waht's more instead of 1 large you can have 2 smaller ships and secure more area.
    I make my case and explain why I think they are not up to the threat level in the future scenarios and you rewind to the previous step, what can I say? dunno  

It is not mine  but thanks    thumbsup  thumbsup  thumbsup .  Look at costs of Ford:America (or Wasp). Surely 1 bln unfinished EMALS add something to this for sure.
    Different roles, technological levels, capacities plus bloated US budgets. This represents in no way what a universal carrier or TAKR or LHD (have seen no clear proposal from you with sizes, capabilities and systems) would cost, considering no additional carriers are going to be providing cover. Against a K-type carrier you would be saving what? Arresting cables and gear, approach guidance and what more? Where do the savings come from?

Why thy cannot protect Russian interests? How many Russian fighters were shoot down in Syria by US? or US by Russia? or how many Chinese in South China Sea? so why do you need hundreds there?

Turkey downed one plane on cold blood due to relaxed Russian policy. Then they moved S-400 and air superiority fighters to the theatre and things changed. Syria is actually a good argument for the ones proposing to have cover of first order assets in order to avoid embarrassing loses on a deployment.

F/AXX is theoretically intend of 2020  lol1  lol1  lol1 but I am sure end of 2030s they will be available.
    Yes yes, call me when they are ready with the requirements  Very Happy

Good that at least VSTOL was chosen for a good beginning  russia  russia  :Russia:
    Happy that at least you are happy Laughing
    GunshipDemocracy
    GunshipDemocracy

Post  GunshipDemocracy Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:07 pm

GarryB wrote:
    They don't currently have a naval Su-57 because there is no carrier for it to operate from... navalising the Su-57 will take less time than building a new carrier for it to operate from.

Naval Su-57s will have no problems defeating F-35s and anything the US Navy might come up with in the mean time...

especially thet they wont meet anytime. F/AXX will be their enemy to fight with. And of course they have not carriers and will not have any to place large fighters.

HQ Gallery of the light carrier concept

Looks bigger and therefore heavier than the K so I don't see how they can call it a light carrier... unless that is the actual carrier they are talking about...
    [/quote]

regardless n carrier chosen no carrier will even sacrifice half of its fighters for their size. Unless in Russia is being used Ukrainian logic.
    hoom

Post  hoom Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:43 pm

Yes thats the one thats being talked about last few pages.
    Apparently had a non-public display at Army 2017 show last year (some stats made public), model on display this year.

And yes the deck is huge, like very close to the size of a Nimitz deck.
    If you look carefully there is a really long overhang aft & the given stats are 1.2m wider max beam (carried all the way aft & a long way forward vs Nimitz is actually mostly not at max beam) but 28m shorter.

Aim of the design is clearly to maximise deck space & carry a large air-wing mainly with a big deck park, which is a logical aim essentially what the US has done pretty much from the start.

Question is whether that size deck can really be supported on only a 44kton hull dunno
    It seems doubtful but I would possibly buy it on K displacement with hull extended under most of the stern overhang.
    GunshipDemocracy
    GunshipDemocracy

Post  GunshipDemocracy Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:02 pm

LMFS wrote:
    Yes I know, but we were discussing carriers and power projection

then Russia cannot follow neither US nor Chinese way, to expensive. They must use more cost effective means.

Kinzhal is not on suitable for any deck fighter AFAIK. and unliley will be applied in large numbers.
    Where Kinzahl or a modification thereof can be launched from is to be seen, we are discussing about the future carrier force of Russia as far as I know. In any case as discussed the MKIs of India can carry a similarly sized weapon and as also shown (simulation tools are based in physics in fact and not in wishful thinking of either side) modern fighters with high T/W ratio can take off full load from ski jumps. So, given the extremely important advantages of such air launched weapons and the technical possibilities it is easy to understand they will be probably deployed in mid to long term. Even in low numbers the threat level they represent is huge for a CSG.

if you take a look on any hypersonic missile they are all in fact aeroballistic - they go high not to heat up due to air compression. Then going down rapidly over targets.
    Kinzhalis long range but a IMHO Iskander based stopgap before other will be developed. Definitely not suitable for any deck fighter.

JASSM-XR
    Ok, now you talk too about a future development, of a sub-sonic missile for land attack and which no USN fighter can carry. This is probably a weapon for USAFs B-1Bs and the like, not an AShM for naval fighters.

And how many CVNs in Russia and Su-57 do you have ready now? or at least before 2025?
    True XR and ER are different. BTW 2,3 tons isntis lighter then P-800 anyway?

F-16 in Poland  will be integrated with those so I'd say F-18 can handle as well.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGM-158_JASSM
    Tis one is ER not XR tho ( 1000km range)

While both the original JASSM and the JASSM-ER are several inches too long to be carried in the internal weapons bay of the F-35 Lightning II, the F-35 will be able to carry both missiles externally, which compromises the aircraft's stealth features.[29]

F-35 is late by half of generation thet's why F/AXX will overlap. Frist  replacing F-18.
    Aha.... so F-35 is 5.5G and NGAD 6G or how does it go? Not seeing many life signs about the program BTW, maybe you have more info on it?

No F-35 is  5G  but after really postmature pregnancy lol1  lol1  lol1 IT is going AFAIK tehy wan it late 2020s but lest give them 10 years more  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil

https://news.usni.org/2015/02/04/cno-greenert-navys-next-fighter-might-not-need-stealth-high-speed

WASHINGTON, D.C. – The Navy’s planned next generation fighter will likely rely less on the speed and stealth that has defined the current generation of U.S. tactical aircraft and could feature an unmanned option, the Chief of Naval Operations said on Wednesday.

CNO Adm. Jonathan Greenert described options for the next Navy fighter – the F/A-XX – that would overwhelm or suppress enemy air defenses instead of outrunning or hiding from threats.

Future russian aircraft carriers. #3 - Page 3 New-FA-XX-1-660x440

Amazingly similar to new LMFS from Butowski's drawings  What a Face  What a Face  What a Face

All seen until now are private proposals. No official procurement plans disclosed that I know.

We both only guessing here. I have only special link to Supreme Commander you know  lol1  lol1  lol1  Take alook on  positive trend in their plans (100k+ -> 70k  -> 44k) I can see with each iteration they get better.

I'd say something like 3 (idelly 4) +/- De Gaulle size carriers with ~30+ fighters + couple of hellos in sea control mode wouldn't be bad approach. Why universal - because you need also amphibious forces support.

Projecting power with cheaper ships, armed with  ligh but capable fighters will do this job perfectly. Look at Syria anything other is just III WW. Where do you see any intermediate scenario?  Waht's more instead of 1 large you can have 2 smaller ships and secure more area.
    I make my case and explain why I think they are not up to the threat level in the future scenarios and you rewind to the previous step, what can I say? dunno  
    glad we agree then  thumbsup  thumbsup  thumbsup

Different roles, technological levels, capacities plus bloated US budgets. This represents in no way what a universal carrier or TAKR or LHD (have seen no clear proposal from you with sizes, capabilities and systems) would cost, considering no additional carriers are going to be providing cover. Against a K-type carrier you would be saving what? Arresting cables and gear, approach guidance and what more? Where do the savings come from?
    I
    indeed different roles - you need light carrier for basic cover in Syrian scenario.  Show me any example where smaller CV cost same as a larger one? Tell me what precisly is technical difference between LHA America ian  Nimitz in terms of capabilities? I'd love to learn something new.

I couldn't find.

Waht me thinks is:   Size is 40k+ (60k iMHO is max for budget size) to have both number of fighters, decent defensive armament and supplies.  Amphibious operations support is very nice to have (no need for extra LHD). You know originally Soviet TAKRS had to fulfill the following list of tasks:

a) anti-aircraft defense of a ship and (or) a group of ships accompanied by it;
    b) ensuring the security of strategic submarine cruisers in combat patrol areas;
    c)  search and destruction of enemy submarines as part of an anti-submarine group;
    d) detection, guidance and destruction of the enemy's surface forces;
    e)  assurance of amphibious landing.

Not much changed since then IMHO. D would be optional, depending on how quick can you build escort grouping.  And yes there are no large fighters on CVNs for a reason. This reason is called better usage of ship available space.

So yes in conditions where you have limited escorting possibilities, scarce foreign bases, building 1 max 2 ships makes little sense. 1 will be at best operational. And extremely expensive.
    Not to mention costs of additional building amphibious forces. having 3 or even 4 smaller make mchu more sense to me.

Turkey downed one plane on cold blood due to relaxed Russian policy. Then they moved S-400 and air superiority fighters to the theatre and things changed. Syria is actually a good argument for the ones proposing to have cover of first order assets in order to avoid embarrassing loses on a deployment.

Facts are:
    1) there was no US involvement (officially)
    2) there were NO direct US/Ru fighting, there are 2-3 large CSGs aroung all the time , none of them ever tried to attack Russains
    3) There were never more then Russia 8 fighters same time there since 2015 (excluding short Kuz stay)
    4) do you think Turkey was paralyzed by 1 S-400 battery not by whole Russian might behind it?

so no this is the best argument you dont need large CVNs for this kind of conflict.

Good that at least VSTOL was chosen for a good beginning  russia  russia  :Russia:
    Happy that at least you are happy Laughing

Oh Im sure you are ahppy too that the best option finally prevailed thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
    GunshipDemocracy
    GunshipDemocracy

Post  GunshipDemocracy Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:05 pm

hoom wrote:

Aim of the design is clearly to maximise deck space & carry a large air-wing mainly with a big deck park, which is a logical aim essentially what the US has done pretty much from the start.

Question is whether that size deck can really be supported on only a 44kton hull dunno
    It seems doubtful but I would possibly buy it on K displacement with hull extended under most of the stern overhang.

Not sure if deck parking is so good in Arctic tough... or large deck and small hull in tropical storms which with climate change will be more and more often.
    hoom

Post  hoom Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:40 pm

Krylov gonna Krylov unshaven
    LMFS
    LMFS

Post  LMFS Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:48 pm

hoom wrote:Question is whether that size deck can really be supported on only a 44kton hull dunno
    Well, I would agree but I don't know how to calculate the displacement of a vessel reliably just by its looks. Materials, construction and internal layout, protection levels will surely have a big impact on that, without it being externally apparent I guess. They put a lot of deck on the new proposal, way beyond any other carrier I have seen, so in fact the hull is not that big.
    LMFS
    LMFS

Post  LMFS Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:31 pm

then Russia cannot follow neither US nor Chinese way, to expensive. They must use more cost effective means.

:attention:Yes Sir!!

This navy thing is too complicated, Russians should ditch it altogether and enjoy the pleasures of simple life in their dachas

if you take a look on any hypersonic missile they are all in fact aeroballistic - they go high not to heat up due to air compression. Then going down rapidly over targets.
    Kinzhalis long range but a IMHO Iskander based stopgap before other will be developed. Definitely not suitable for any deck fighter.
    OK, please tell Leonkov so that he doesn't embarrass himself suggesting its naval deployment too!
    All hypersonic missiles will try to fly high as long as possible for obvious reasons in order to maximize range. But aeroballistic and CMs are quite different in regards of flight profile as far as I know. A Kinzhal will have a rocket engine with a given burn time that will be best used with a quasi-ballistic trajectory. Zircon will be propelled for way longer part of the flight (hence the "cruise" part of its name) and as air breathing it will have an optimal flight altitude that will be kept constant until the final approach to the target. Would be interesting to know if this last approach will be a fast angled dive or sea skimming and in the last case, for how long and with what terminal speeds.

F-16 in Poland  will be integrated with those so I'd say F-18 can handle as well.
    Hey man you are mixing up missiles. The XR will be a heavy missile that will need at least a heavy fighter (if not restricted exclusively to heavy bombers) to be launched. Hornet from what I know can carry FPU-11 tanks with up to 1450 kg fuel so 2.3 tons is A BIT beyond that, and the front wheels limit also heavily the max length of the ordnance placed in the centerline station. The JASSM and JASSM-ER are much less than half so big and with less than half the range in the best case. But you are still conveniently ignoring that such kind of subsonic crap will not survive against robust AD unless in an incredibly massive attack. And also you forget that the version of this airframe used as AShM is the LARSM, with improved sensors due to the nature of the targets but due to this reason reduced range compared to the ER. Russians did not bother making an additional version of Calibr with massively reduced range as AShM out of excess of time and budget, reason is without proper design including high terminal speed the chances of piercing modern ADs are quite low.

No F-35 is  5G  but after really postmature pregnancy lol1  lol1  lol1 IT is going AFAIK tehy wan it late 2020s but lest give them 10 years more  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil
    Considering the current lack of news about the plane or even involved technologies or requirements, historic development times and the fact that they will be busy paying for F-35 well into the 30's I am more than relaxed in regards of the F/A-XX. And on top of that they say it will be neither fast nor stealth, with the payload of a F-18...  should we all start trembling because a couple of drawings are released?

We both only guessing here. I have only special link to Supreme Commander you know  lol1  lol1  lol1  Take alook on  positive trend in their plans (100k+ -> 70k  -> 44k) I can see with each iteration they get better.
    Sure, soon they will come up with a Gorshkov-XL that doubles as carrier for two helos and fishing ship, for maximum civilian use.

I'd say something like 3 (idelly 4) +/- De Gaulle size carriers with ~30+ fighters + couple of hellos in sea control mode wouldn't be bad approach. Why universal - because you need also amphibious forces support.
    You kidding me? All this discussion to say you want 3 or 4 carriers of the de Gaulle size??? CVN with catapults and AWACS as well??
    And how is this carrier supposed to support amphibious forces???  Shocked

glad we agree then  thumbsup  thumbsup  thumbsup

Yes, we agree that you are kidding me. Good that I start to realize respekt

I
    indeed different roles - you need light carrier for basic cover in Syrian scenario.  Show me any example where smaller CV cost same as a larger one? Tell me what precisly is technical difference between LHA America ian  Nimitz in terms of capabilities? I'd love to learn something new.

I couldn't find.
    OK... lets say they both have flat tops and are ships. The rest is different.

Waht me thinks is:   Size is 40k+ (60k iMHO is max for budget size) to have both number of fighters, decent defensive armament and supplies.  Amphibious operations support is very nice to have (no need for extra LHD). You know originally Soviet TAKRS had to fulfill the following list of tasks:

a) anti-aircraft defense of a ship and (or) a group of ships accompanied by it;
    b) ensuring the security of strategic submarine cruisers in combat patrol areas;
    c)  search and destruction of enemy submarines as part of an anti-submarine group;
    d) detection, guidance and destruction of the enemy's surface forces;
    e)  assurance of amphibious landing.

Not much changed since then IMHO. D would be optional, depending on how quick can you build escort grouping.  And yes there are no large fighters on CVNs for a reason. This reason is called better usage of ship available space.

So yes in conditions where you have limited escorting possibilities, scarce foreign bases, building 1 max 2 ships makes little sense. 1 will be at best operational. And extremely expensive.
    Not to mention costs of additional building amphibious forces. having 3 or even 4 smaller make mchu more sense to me.
    Aha...  Suspect
    ... so you are proposing very much the same as I do, with the exception that a amphibious assault ship is fat and slow and cannot operate effectively as carrier or ASW
    If not for that I would agree. More realistically I think 2-3 LHDs will be built and with much luck and a little of political will 3-4 carriers in the size you say. Starting with the LHDs hopefully in some years and finishing in 20+ years with the complete carrier fleet. Meanwhile they have the K for limited power projection capabilities, they will have to manage without anything better.

Facts are:
    2) there were NO direct US/Ru fighting, there are 2-3 large CSGs aroung all the time , none of them ever tried to attack Russains
    3) There were never more then Russia 8 fighters same time there since 2015 (excluding short Kuz stay)
    4) do you think Turkey was paralyzed by 1 S-400 battery not by whole Russian might behind it?

so no this is the best argument you dont need large CVNs for this kind of conflict.
    What on Earth has to do the lack of official US involvement in the fact that Russians know who did it, why and how to prevent it in the future?
    Do you happen to think that the reason why there has been no further escalation and hence the enabling factor for intervention is that Russia is not far away? How would things work in a deployment further from home??

The first level of the conflict is political and related to avoid embarrassing situations, not about a complete military defeat. The small number of fighters and SAMs is not an antidote against all combined NATO forces in ME, but a deterrent: unless under a massive, unjustifiable attack against them they can give a black eye to the aggressor and make them think twice before being too cocky, under the risk that they can be the embarrassed ones. But if the deployed assets are not up to the task then they are gladly turn into targets. A trap like the one laid to the Su-24 was only possible because it was not protected and prepared for possible threats. With Su-35s covered by S-400 things changed a bit.

Oh Im sure you are ahppy too that the best option finally prevailed thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
    You are very optimistic given the history of cancelled Russian projects aren't you?
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:49 pm

Which version did they receive ? I think it was the ER with almost 1000km range. Isn't it illegal since they signed the treaty that limit the range of export missiles to 300km ? Even the normal one has a range of some 380km if I'm not wrong.
    GunshipDemocracy
    GunshipDemocracy

Post  GunshipDemocracy Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:43 pm

Isos wrote:

Which version did they receive ? I think it was the ER with almost 1000km range. Isn't it illegal since they signed the treaty that limit the range of export missiles to 300km ? Even the normal one has a range of some 380km if I'm not wrong.

https://www.defence24.com/70-jassm-er-missiles-for-the-polish-f-16-fighters-us-state-department-issues-a-consent
    US Department of State approved the transaction, the goal of which is to make it possible for Poland to acquire the JASSM-ER cruise missiles. The ER version has a range which exceeds 900 kilometres. USD 200 million has been defined as the maximum amount of the contract.
    GunshipDemocracy
    GunshipDemocracy

Post  GunshipDemocracy Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:37 am

LMFS wrote:
    :attention:Yes Sir!!

This navy thing is too complicated, Russians should ditch it altogether and enjoy the pleasures of simple life in their dachas

for you for now, no worries I'll explain to you in simpler  words   lol1  lol1 lol1

OK, please tell Leonkov so that he doesn't embarrass himself suggesting its naval deployment too!

did he explain what is going to carry Kinzhal? MiG-31 deck version? Suspect Suspect Suspect

All hypersonic missiles will try to fly high as long as possible for obvious reasons in order to maximize range. But aeroballistic and CMs are quite different in regards of flight profile as far as I know. A Kinzhal will have a rocket engine with a given burn time that will be best used with a quasi-ballistic trajectory.  Zircon will be propelled for way longer part of the flight (hence the "cruise" part of its name) and as air breathing it will have an optimal flight altitude that will be kept constant until the final approach to the target. Would be interesting to know if this last approach will be a fast angled dive or sea skimming and in the last case, for how long and with what terminal speeds.

i dont know if Kinzhal doesn't have air breathing engine too. It is also able to change directory so form this perspective not much changes with respect to ZIrcon.

But you are still conveniently ignoring that such kind of subsonic crap will not survive against robust AD unless in an incredibly massive attack. And also you forget that the version of this airframe used as AShM is the LARSM, with improved sensors due to the nature of the targets but due to this reason reduced range compared to the ER. Russians did not bother making an additional version of Calibr with massively reduced range as AShM out of excess of time and budget, reason is without proper design including high terminal speed the chances of piercing modern ADs are quite low.

1) F-18 has 8 tons of of payload unlike Su-33 (6500 ) or MiG-29k (5500).
    2) Subsonic "crap " is designed to break into Russian/Chinese AADs

Do you think that in US they dont know what AAD is doing? Yes they CAN do supersonic missiles yet they decided subsonic but very low observable. For a good reason I'd say. Apparently in specifics of US/Russian Chinese conflicts this a optimal approach.

Considering the current lack of news about the plane or even involved technologies or requirements, historic development times and the fact that they will be busy paying for F-35 well into the 30's I am more than relaxed in regards of the F/A-XX. And on top of that they say it will be neither fast nor stealth, with the payload of a F-18...  should we all start trembling because a couple of drawings are released?

perhaps reading with understanding would be a good start? it is about survivability at first. Ranges to be higher, engines more efficient.
    In mid 2030s F-18 will be just worn out. Russian carriers  (if build) will be fresh then.

BTW F-35 easily kills Su-33 and MiG-29k due to old avionics. If nothing changes it is not good for Russia either. That's wny I guess Russia wants to build VSTOL as light LMFSin 6gen tech.

You kidding me? All this discussion to say you want 3 or 4 carriers of the de Gaulle size??? CVN with catapults and AWACS as well??
    And how is this carrier supposed to support amphibious forces???  Shocked

I believe this would be pretty much optimal  cost/effect ratio. BTW no catapult, why VSTOL i goes nicely with ski-jump.  de Gaulle is smaller than LHA America and can carry 800 marines, QE2 can carry 250 although capacity is ~ 1000 bove compliment. LHA america 1600 Marines.

Yes QE2 has secondary role amphibious group support.

Aha...  Suspect

... so you are proposing very much the same as I do, with the exception that a amphibious assault ship is fat and slow and cannot operate effectively as carrier or ASW
    If not for that I would agree. More realistically I think 2-3 LHDs will be built and with much luck and a little of political will 3-4 carriers in the size you say. Starting with the LHDs hopefully in some years and finishing in 20+ years with the complete carrier fleet. Meanwhile they have the K for limited power projection capabilities, they will have to manage without anything better.

Not sure why they are fat and slow (America ad CVN De Gaulle  have comparable speeds). TO make it clear: I am for  a modular light carrier if you prefer. And actually being modular mission dependent they are designed to have ASW role unlike classical CV. They can have different air wing in Syria, far north or If you need to go to Nigeria or Somalia to kick some pirates' buts and extract personnel you have one -top-shop

After 20+ years perhaps they will build  carriers perhaps or never as all fighting moves to orbit  lol1  lol1  lol1

Facts are:

What on Earth has to do the lack of official US involvement in the fact that Russians know who did it, why and how to prevent it in the future?
    Do you happen to think that the reason why there has been no further escalation and hence the enabling factor for intervention is that Russia is not far away? How would things work in a deployment further from home??

same, Avangard reached  in ~20 minutes any place on earth

But if the deployed assets are not up to the task then they are gladly turn into targets. A trap like the one laid to the Su-24 was only possible because it was not protected and prepared for possible threats. With Su-35s covered by S-400 things changed a bit.

Surely,  but with 30 LMFS and sea based S-500/S-350. If this wont work you are in IIIWW

You are very optimistic given the history of cancelled Russian projects aren't you?

Soviet ? no. I dont expect dissolution of Russia anytime soon. And later neither  lol1  lol1  lol1
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:03 am

BTW F-35 easily kills Su-33 and MiG-29k due to old avionics.

F-35s wont even enter Syrian air space... how good do you actually think they are?

Next gen AAMs designed to destroy stealth fighters and stealth bombers could easily be loaded onto Su-33s and MiG-29Ks to deal with F-35s... with AWACS support the Flankers and Fulcrums don't even need to turn on their radars and can receive target information from ships and AWACS platforms.

How is the F-35 supposed to defeat the Flanker and Fulcrums?

Its armament is AMRAAM, SIDEWINDER, and a cannon... jamming pods and towed decoys will deal with AMRAAM, and DIRCMS will deal with Sidewinders, so it comes down to guns for the F-35.

A whole new generation of AAMs is being developed for the Su-57 and the primary enemy target will be stealthy fighters and stealthy bombers... the Americans are not developing anything else... so some sort of mixed active/passive radar homing missiles with IIR backup seekers and also probably some other sneaky method of finding and tracking stealthy targets... the Flanker and Fulcrum could both easily carry large numbers of such weapons if need be.

If it comes down to guns only my money would be on the two Russian aircraft too.
    GunshipDemocracy
    GunshipDemocracy

Post  GunshipDemocracy Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:16 pm

GarryB wrote:
    BTW F-35 easily kills Su-33 and MiG-29k due to old avionics.

F-35s wont even enter Syrian air space... how good do you actually think they are?

and only because of Su-33 which are not there right?

Next gen AAMs designed to destroy stealth fighters and stealth bombers could easily be loaded onto Su-33s and MiG-29Ks to deal with F-35s... with AWACS support the Flankers and Fulcrums don't even need to turn on their radars and can receive target information from ships and AWACS platforms.

How is the F-35 supposed to defeat the Flanker and Fulcrums?

What new gen AAM do you mean? Su-33 has avionics last time updated when in 2009? Ahh and how many AWACShas Kuz?

dunno dunno dunno

A whole new generation of AAMs is being developed for the Su-57 and the primary enemy target will be stealthy fighters and stealthy bombers... the Americans are not developing anything else...

we are talking about S-33 vs F-35 not Su-57 right ?

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:16 am

and only because of Su-33 which are not there right?

There is nothing in Syria that would not be with a naval Su-33 in the future... Su-35 technology can be added to the Su-33 easily enough and the S-300V4 and S-400 have naval equivalents that will be present in any surface group the Su-33 would be operating with... in fact there would be more available equivalent batteries of all types of SAMs...

What new gen AAM do you mean?

The new models being developed for the Su-57 intended to be used against both normal and stealth aircraft.

Su-33 has avionics last time updated when in 2009? Ahh and how many AWACShas Kuz?

Clearly they do need a large new CVN.... glad you agree with me finally.

We are talking about future Russian aircraft carriers and you are suggesting that any option that does not include AWACS is pointless... which is what I have been saying all along.

They need a big carrier... a new AWACS platform... which requires EMALs cats... and naval Su-57 aircraft... glad to finally get here... knew you would come around... Razz
    GunshipDemocracy
    GunshipDemocracy

Post  GunshipDemocracy Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:40 am

GarryB wrote:

There is nothing in Syria that would not be with a naval Su-33 in the future... Su-35 technology can be added to the Su-33 easily enough and the S-300V4 and S-400 have naval equivalents that will be present in any surface group the Su-33 would be operating with... in fact there would be more available equivalent batteries of all types of SAMs...

technically you still can. But you dont upgrade a dead fighter (ok F-5 in Iran is an exception ). Especially that you have a new one with perspective.

OK 70s looks cars look good and can drive with propper maintenance though most of people prefer to drive moderns ones.
    Future russian aircraft carriers. #3 - Page 3 Maxresdefault

What new gen AAM do you mean?

The new models being developed for the Su-57 intended to be used against both normal and stealth aircraft.

is being developed? In Us is also being developed new versions of BVAAM (longest existing AMRAAM AIM C-8 has range > 100nm)
    Im not sure why do you think your enemy has inferior weapons? Isnt it better to assume they are more less on same level?
    Their doctrine can be different true.

Su-33 has avionics last time updated when in 2009? Ahh and how many AWACShas Kuz?

Clearly they do need a large new CVN.... glad you agree with me finally.

Su-33 is dead. They need AWACS functionality but dont need Yak-44. Light universal CVNs is just saving on unnecessary expenditures to have comparable ways to fulfill doctrine.
    it's all function of budget.

Perhaps the best would be 200k tons with 200 fighters as it wont get via Panama Canal anyway.

We are talking about future Russian aircraft carriers and you are suggesting that any option that does not include AWACS is pointless... which is what I have been saying all along.

ok so Su-33 is dead in current scenario. Great we agree. thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup AWACS functionality is needed, how it would be achieved this is another question thpugh.

They need a big carrier... a new AWACS platform... which requires EMALs cats... and naval Su-57 aircraft... glad to finally get here... knew you would come around...  Razz

fight after their budget will grow 10x they can follow it immediately! With current they;ll stay with at most Charles De Gaulle sized CVN at best lol! lol! lol! tohave constant ability to support own fleet you'd need to build 3. The bigger they are the less money you have for them.

RTN
    RTN

Post  RTN Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:55 pm

GarryB wrote:The new models being developed for the Su-57 intended to be used against both normal and stealth aircraft.

So the only difference between Air to Ground Missiles and Surface to Air Missiles is the Seeker, isn't it ? All other components more or less remain the same ?
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:47 am

technically you still can. But you dont upgrade a dead fighter (ok F-5 in Iran is an exception ). Especially that you have a new one with perspective.

The only real difference between an Su-33 with Su-57 avionics and engines and radar etc, and an Su-57 is the latter has a stealthy design and internal weapons... if it is determined that new radars make radar stealth pointless then you save a lot of money putting Su-57 level equipment in the shell of an Su-33... they are cheaper and easier to make.

It is like a computer... modern ATX motherboards fit in ATX computer boxes from the late 1990s... you could buy a newer box, but at the end of the day the old big boxes have more internal space for extra things like water cooling systems and the like.

In fact a friend of mine had a mini tower desktop and his son (who was 3 years old) flicked the switch on the power supply from 240 volts to 110 volts. When he turned on the computer there was a flash of light and a puff of smoke and nothing. He was pissed off because the special power supply for the mini tower system he had would cost $700 to replace. As I said, though it was an ATX motherboard so a normal tower box including a new power supply ended up costing him about $110... and he just took all the bits out of his old computer and put them in the new box... it even had room for another DVD drive which he wanted but could not fit in his old mini tower box.

OK 70s looks cars look good and can drive with propper maintenance though most of people prefer to drive moderns ones.

Well that is the thing... old cars tended to look cooler but their handling and the quality of everything from brakes to headlights was usually pathetic... an old car shell with new powerful but fuel efficient engine and new modern brakes and headlights and electronics and you would sell a lot of cars to 40+ aged men... who like the old cars but don't have the hours to tinker and get a real old car working.

There was a time when you bought a brand new British car and after about 10,000km you had to redo the rings and bearings and replace all sorts of things... here in New Zealand we get second hand Jap imports and they are brilliant... warm comfortable reliable... I wouldn't touch a european or american car.

is being developed? In Us is also being developed new versions of BVAAM (longest existing AMRAAM AIM C-8 has range > 100nm)
    Im not sure why do you think your enemy has inferior weapons? Isnt it better to assume they are more less on same level?
    Their doctrine can be different true.

I am not making any assumptions about US weapons... I am saying that in addition to developing the Su-57, the Russians have been developing a new range of AAMs for that aircraft to use. These missiles wont be designed to be used against F-16s and F-15s... they will be intended to be used against F-22s and F-35s and indeed B-2s and later aircraft... so they will most likely be sensor fused seekers using optical and radar sensors for guidance... much like the Su-57 itself has several radar antenna in different bands, as well as EO systems in the form of an IRST as well as EO pods to detect targets... there is no point in developing sensors to detect stealth targets at 300km if you can't use missiles until they are within visual range.

Su-33 is dead. They need AWACS functionality but dont need Yak-44.

There is no Yak-44 anyway. And the Su-33 is perfectly fine... good range and wide range of AAM option and a new capability to use cheap dumb iron bombs to flatten mudhuts in third world countries... sounds rather better than an F/A-18 that would cost millions for each bomb that hits not that much more accurately...

Perhaps the best would be 200k tons with 200 fighters as it wont get via Panama Canal anyway.

They recently put into service a 200 trillion ton carrier... it can't leave the black sea but there is no way any NATO country could sink her... in fact they recently built a pier to improve supply and logistics to her... the road component is finished and working but the rail system wont be a go till next year... russia

ok so Su-33 is dead in current scenario. Great we agree. thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup AWACS functionality is needed, how it would be achieved this is another question thpugh.

If you add an AWACS support platform the Su-33 is perfectly adequate. The only thing that could be better would be a stealthy platform, but we really don't know yet the value of more stealth is... we do know the cost is reduced weapon capacity with internal weapons... or with external weapons when needed there is no stealth advantage but a huge cost in terms of purchase price and maintenance issues with a stealthy nonstealth aircraft.

ability to support own fleet you'd need to build 3. The bigger they are the less money you have for them.

Two new carriers is all they actually NEED. Emphasis on NEED.

They already have the Kuznetsov, which, with upgrades can be used to test new large radar and C4IR sets and equipment... two CVNs would be all they needed operationally... with their ice breaking capacity becoming quite extensive, they could have distribute the three carriers between the Northern Fleet and the Pacific Fleet... with three carriers in an emergency they will always have two ships available and likely in refit... one will be near home port in training and one will be deployed on some operational mission like a visit to South America... Twisted Evil

So the only difference between Air to Ground Missiles and Surface to Air Missiles is the Seeker, isn't it ? All other components more or less remain the same ?

Previously there was a lot of mixed use missiles... if you look at the AA-1 and the AS-7 and AS-10 and AS-12 the body shape is the same... with a rear facing antenna and side mounted rocket nozzles.

Pretty soon however, missiles started being custom designed for the role, so new shapes were developed to suit different purposes and different carriers.

Ironically now the requirements for small compact missiles for internal carriage on stealth aircraft and bombers has led to some crossover with compact missiles that are ground launched from tubes that have been made as compact as possible to allow multiple tubes per launcher.

The Kinzhal air to surface missile seems to just be a slightly modified Iskander surface to surface missile... and a new missile called 9M100 or Morfei is reported to be a small IIR guided missile for cross platforms intended to be fired from a ground vehicle, and a ship and an aircraft.

In the Army role it will be a point defence missile, while in the navy it will be a new CIWS missile, while the air force would use it in a range of roles... from internal weapon bay weapon for a stealth fighter, to self defence for bombers and helicopters and strike aircraft... possibly even an anti missile missile that could be used by otherwise unarmed aircraft to defend against SAMs and AAMs directed at them.

There has been talk of new AAMs based on the S-400 family of missiles including the two smaller missiles and the big missiles and one would assume if this is true there would be potential that they take this a step further and have an air launched S-500 for heavy interceptor aircraft and indeed anti satellite use... MiG-41???

(note a MiG-41 operating at 30km altitude at mach 4.2 with an S-500 missile should be able to target satellites in quite high orbits... and can be moved around Russian airspace rapidly to get a specific satellite quite easily...)
    GunshipDemocracy
    GunshipDemocracy

Post  GunshipDemocracy Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:36 pm

GarryB wrote:
    The only real difference between an Su-33 with Su-57 avionics and engines and radar etc, and an Su-57 is the latter has a stealthy design and internal weapons... if it is determined that new radars make radar stealth pointless then you save a lot of money putting Su-57 level equipment in the shell of an Su-33... they are cheaper and easier to make.

in fact you dont need Su-57 at all! neither 6gen fighter Russia is workin on. Iran would make F-5 unread if they could get anything newer. No su-33is dead branch only waiting to be decommissioned.

Well that is the thing... old cars tended to look cooler but their handling and the quality of everything from brakes to headlights was usually pathetic... an old car shell with new powerful but fuel efficient engine and new modern brakes and headlights and electronics and you would sell a lot of cars to 40+ aged men... who like the old cars but don't have the hours to tinker and get a real old car working.

old car with new stuff is pimped on and actually hand made. Massprduce dcar with retro looks is in fact  a new car.  Handmade is~ 10x more expensive then regular Honda or Kia you can buy at any dealership.

Good comparison to Su-33

they will be intended to be used against F-22s and F-35s and indeed B-2s and later aircraft... so they will most likely be sensor fused seekers using optical and radar sensors for guidance... much like the Su-57 itself has  several radar antenna in different bands, as well as EO systems in the form of an IRST as well as EO pods to detect targets... there is no point in developing sensors to detect stealth targets at 300km if you can't use missiles until they are within visual range.

that's why US Navy bets on 6gen fighter with high survivability in access denial zones not anymore so much effort put on stealth. That's why Russia is working on 6gen fighter too. B-2 will be replaced by new bombers better suited with self defense mechanisms.

New missiles and new fighters it wont stop just like that. Missiles good for F-22 perhaps wont be good against F/AXX.

Su-33 is dead. They need AWACS functionality but dont need Yak-44.
    There is no Yak-44 anyway. And the Su-33 is perfectly fine... good range and wide range of AAM option and a new capability to use cheap dumb iron bombs to flatten mudhuts in third world countries...

F-18 will be replaced in in 2030s. By then Su-33 will be even deader. You never listen to official Russian announcements, dont you? nobody planes re-starting Su-33 production. Nobody orders even MiG-35.

f you add an AWACS support platform the Su-33 is perfectly adequate. The only thing that could be better would be a stealthy platform, but we really don't know yet the value of more stealth is... we do know the cost is reduced weapon capacity with internal weapons... or with external weapons when needed there is no stealth advantage but a huge cost in terms of purchase price and maintenance issues with a stealthy nonstealth aircraft.

when your wife says in the morning: honey it was adequate, Im not sure if this is reason to celebrate lol1 lol1 lol1 why use 4 gen dead "adequate" fighter (in 2030 also lifecycle of air-frames/engines are et the end) if you get 6th one, better in every scenario?  unshaven  unshaven  unshaven

ability to support own fleet you'd need to build 3. The bigger they are the less money you have for them.
    Two new carriers is all they actually NEED.  Emphasis on NEED.

They already have the Kuznetsov, which, with upgrades can be used to test new large radar and C4IR sets and equipment... two CVNs would be all they needed operationally... with their ice breaking capacity becoming quite extensive, they could have distribute the three carriers between the Northern Fleet and the Pacific Fleet... with three carriers in an emergency they will always have two ships available and likely in refit... one will be near home port in training and one will be deployed on some operational mission like a visit to South America...  Twisted Evil

so actually they need 3 to have almost 2 operational at the same time. Before 3 is launched Kuz will be dead.   lol1  lol1  lol1
    LMFS
    LMFS

Post  LMFS Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:58 pm

GunshipDemocracy wrote:that's why US Navy bets on 6gen fighter with high survivability in access denial zones not anymore so much effort put on stealth. That's why Russia is working on 6gen fighter too. B-2 will be replaced by new bombers better suited with self defense mechanisms.

New missiles and new fighters it wont stop just like that. Missiles good for F-22 perhaps wont be good against F/AXX.  
    Wow, still peddling the F-A/XX? Man you deserve recognition for your efforts, clearly beyond those of USN (they don't even bother publishing much about the program since a while) lol1

Care detailing how the survivability in "access denial" zones (against IADs to avoid unnecessary & misleading US terms) is achieved in F-A/XX?? I mean, apart from vague references to fancy energy weapons, lasers, smart skins and high-tech engines... what? When? How many? How expensive? Where are the demonstrators to all those features? Where are even the requirements? Is it official that it is not going to be stealth and US is giving up on VLO technology??? This is news to me...

And more importantly: if Su-57 is not capable of matching it, being the by far most capable naval fighter potentially to be deployed in short or medium term, your couple squadrons STOVL aboard a small LHD are?? Or what is the approach you propose??
    GunshipDemocracy
    GunshipDemocracy

Post  GunshipDemocracy Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:06 pm

LMFS wrote:
    Wow, still peddling the F-A/XX? Man you deserve recognition for your efforts, clearly beyond those of USN (they don't even bother publishing much about the program since a while) lol1

Care detailing how the survivability in "access denial" zones (against IADs to avoid unnecessary & misleading US terms) is achieved in F-A/XX?? I mean, apart from vague references to fancy energy weapons, lasers, smart skins and high-tech engines... what? When? How many? How expensive? Where are the demonstrators to all those features? Where are even the requirements? Is it official that it is not going to be stealth and US is giving up on VLO technology??? This is news to me...

1) I love to hear the laser/EW weapons are to you SCi-Fi, perhaps it is good to read sometimes military news? I can see the same denial as before with VSTOL lol1 lol1 lol1
    Survability is first of all using weapons to shoot down missiles, dazzle their sensors or cook electronics. if there be any special armor dunno.

https://tass.ru/mezhdunarodnaya-panorama/4421436
    MOSCOW, March 6. / TASS /. The newest MiG-35 fighter is able to use all types of aircraft ammunition that the Russian Space Forces (RFC) have, including laser weapons. This was broadcast on the air of the radio station Ekho Moskvy by General Director of the Russian Aircraft Corporation (RAC) MiG Ilya Tarasenko.

"Laser weapons involve the use of a certain laser technology.Our aircraft use the entire range of modern weapons, which is now available from the Ministry of Defense, including using those issues related to laser weapons," he said.

Earlier, the chief of the Air and Space Forces of Russia, Colonel-General Viktor Bondarev, announced the possibility of using laser weapons on the MiG-35 aircraft.

Coming in 2021: A laser weapon for fighter jets

WASHINGTON — Lockheed Martin will create a high-powered laser for the U.S. Air Force that will be demonstrated on a fighter jet in 2021.
    +++
    If successful, the technology could be a game-changer. The Air Force has long desired an airborne laser so that it can take out surface-to-air and air-to-air missile threats more cheaply than current intercept methods.

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2017/11/07/coming-in-2021-a-laser-weapon-for-fighter-jets/

U.S. AIR FORCE JET-MOUNTED LASER WEAPONS SET FOR SUMMER TESTS

https://www.newsweek.com/air-force-jet-mounted-laser-weapons-set-summer-tests-852889

2) when what?
    well do you know when Russian CVNs will be build? how many VSTOL fighters? will they carry maser or lasers? BTW why do you peddling Su-57k , did anybody ever mentioned about this version? AFAIK was only once on plastic model of Shtorm. Which is not going to be build BTW lol1 lol1 lol1

And more importantly: if Su-57 is not capable of matching it, being the by far most capable naval fighter potentially to be deployed in short or medium term, your couple squadrons STOVL aboard a small LHD are?? Or what is the approach you propose??

You dont need something made of gold and the best. You need a good work horse thet you can afford. PzKpfw V was a bit better then T-34-85/M4 Sherman but was build 1:6.
    My educated guess is that VSTOL will be in many respects 6gn fighter (supermaneuverability, short start/vertical, efficient engine, microwave/ laser weapons, advanced avionics (drone mode?) . This is not going to replace Su-57 but complete is as MiG-29/Su-27 then Su-30 will be gradually withdrawn. VSTOL is perhaps mainly die to better usage of small medium displacement ships. There is no need fo rany deck fighter before 2030s anyway.

This is game of money. You cannot spend beyond your means. That's why I dont believe big CVNs will ever fit into Russian military doctrine. At Most I'd say 60-70k but then their number will be then very limited. And one effectively available. In north.

I dotn propose. I just say cost/battle efficiency ratio using smaller carrier and light fighters is much higher. Russia will and cannot spend in US fashion as you want to see it. Navy programmes are cut and postponed. Navy wanted to build many Liders but ended up with couple of Groskhov M's. Instead of many 11356 they build 22800. Tehy wanted 100k+ then 70k is OK, now Krylov showed 40k . That's how financial restrictions helps to overcome megalomania.

Then now suddenly they will spill a barrel of fluid gold and start building large CVNs? Somehow I dont see it.

Mind VSTOL is approved officially unlike Su-57k. It dosent even exist in far far away plans. unshaven unshaven unshaven

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 12:40 pm