Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

3 posters

NBC/hazmat suits for how weather

The-thing-next-door
    The-thing-next-door

NBC/hazmat suits for how weather Empty NBC/hazmat suits for how weather

Post  The-thing-next-door Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:04 pm

I was wondering if there were any types of protective suits that allow you to stay cool in a hot climate, or in my case in summer seeing as I would overheat at any temperature greater than 10 degrees.

Does anyone here have experience with or know of such suits and where to get them?
    kvs
    kvs

NBC/hazmat suits for how weather Empty Re: NBC/hazmat suits for how weather

Post  kvs Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:04 pm

Since you have not seen any examples that is a good indication that they are not commercially available. I have never seen
    such a product and the reason is clear. They require a refrigeration unit. For cold weather it is all about retaining the heat
    so layering of clothing and the right clothing material do the job. Thus you have products of all types all of the place. Carrying
    a refrigeration unit even if it is light still requires a power source. And that breaks the bank.

One of those portable fridge type jobs can likely be installed in a convenient backpack, but you are not going to be able to
    carry a wall socket around you. Battery technology is woefully primitive and thus heavy since the stored electrons per
    atom does not exceed 2. Carrying propane or some other combustible gas or liquid to run a thermally-driven cooling unit
    is not all that practical either.

Your question is actually very relevant. We are headed for a climate regime where a large part of the tropics will have wet
    bulb temperatures high enough to cause mammal mortality since the evapourative cooling no longer works. We already
    see such incidents in India and elsewhere, when there are temperatures reaching 50 C coupled with high relative humidity.

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:05 am

Sorry I don't know of any hazmat suits like that... or any hazmat suits at all, but if I were you I would be looking at sports shops and local sports centres and universities... quite often they have water cooled vests for athletes working in hot regions that just pumps cold water through clothing for upper and lower body... it might come with a small backpack with a body of cool water to cycle through perhaps with an opening big enough to drop a few ice cubes into every hour or so... it is not like they are trying to drop the temperature to keep frozen meat frozen... sometimes when it is hot an outer insulation layer and water that is a few degrees colder that the air around you can help a lot.

I have a santa suit that is inflatable that comes with a small USB powered fan... that you attach to the shell and it sucks air into the suit which inflates it with cool air... but obviously that wont be an option with a hazmat suit... it could be used to cool the water as it goes back into the clothing though... inside a backpack...

NBC/hazmat suits for how weather C66ae710

(note it comes with a battery pack for AA batteries but the connection is a USB cable so I just use my power bank for my phone to power it... fan and batteries bottom right above)..

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:17 pm