Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+3
kvs
PapaDragon
The-thing-next-door
7 posters

Would it be possible to ban profanity

The-thing-next-door
    The-thing-next-door

Would it be possible to ban profanity Empty Would it be possible to ban profanity

Post  The-thing-next-door Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:49 pm

There is a great deal of vile profanity on this forum, primarily used by thoes who just wish to disrupt discussions and be a nusense.

It would seem that most users preffer to use the appropriate adjectives (e.g. degenerate, retarded, vile, ect) when describing the west or pro westerners in general and therefore a ban on vulgarity would not negatively effect discourse.

I must say it would be wonderful to read through various topics without degenerate language making me feel sick.

PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Would it be possible to ban profanity Empty Re: Would it be possible to ban profanity

Post  PapaDragon Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:21 pm

The-thing-next-door wrote:There is a great deal of vile profanity on this forum...

You should know, you are one of content contributors

kvs
    kvs

Would it be possible to ban profanity Empty Re: Would it be possible to ban profanity

Post  kvs Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:05 pm

I think we should have the freedom to swear under certain conditions. Enforced politeness is sterile. People swear to convey
    their emotions. Web fora are not peer-reviewed science journals.

The-thing-next-door
    The-thing-next-door

Post  The-thing-next-door Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:45 pm

PapaDragon wrote:

The pot calling the kettle black I see.

I do not recall many of my posts containing profanity, would you care to give me some examples?
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:43 am

The-thing-next-door wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:

The pot calling the kettle black I see...

I ain't one complaining

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:01 pm

Certainly worth discussing.

There are rules on swearing, though I normally only act when there are complaints, but those complaints are not normally because bad language has happened, but because it was used abusively towards a member.

I am afraid if I said all swearing was banned completely I would burst into flames.... I try to use the censored emoticon but sometimes it does not express sufficiently what I want to get across.

What do other members think?

Obviously if you use bad language all the time it loses its effect and you start to ignore it from that person, and anyone who uses bad language excessively will be told to tone it down or they will receive a time out where they can think about how they communicate... but the occasional swear word... as long as it is not used abusively to a person but is rather directed at what they have just said... then as far as I am concerned I prefer to just let it go.

Of course there are plenty of members who never swear... I respect their self control.
    LMFS
    LMFS

Post  LMFS Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:19 pm

GarryB wrote:What do other members think?

I try not to swear, I don't think it adds anything to the message... but on the other hand there are people that have turned swearing into an art, I love kvs' rants for instance lol1

In general using insults or derogatory words to ridicule other people's position (not to talk about insulting the person themselves) adds nothing of interest and creates very bad dynamics in a discussion IMHO. Being right or wrong is a matter of arguments and not of insults. I think it is best to use the tone and language we would use with another person if we were talking directly and personally to them and they could kick us in the balls if we went too far, instead of hiding behind the safety of internet Very Happy
    The-thing-next-door
    The-thing-next-door

Post  The-thing-next-door Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:49 pm

Well the form of profanity I find most repulsive is the degenerate sexual metaphors that seem to be used as a substitute for actual commentary on this forum.

Such posts contain no relevant information or criticism and are instead used in place of keeping quiet or admitting defeat and as such all they serve to do is waste peoples time on someones pointless filth.

PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:33 pm

I swear to either insult a public figure or to respond to people using swears when talking to me

I don't think banning that makes sense but if you want to ban those who do it first unprovoked then sure why not

jhelb
    jhelb

Location : Previously: Belarus Currently: A Small Island No One Cares About

Post  jhelb Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:49 pm

There is no need to ban profanity. If people can swear all the time in real world why can't they do the same on this forum.

GarryB wrote:Of course there are plenty of members who never swear... I respect their self control.
    Hardly any.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:07 am

jhelb wrote:
    There is no need to ban profanity. If people can swear all the time in real world why can't they do the same on this forum.

GarryB wrote:Of course there are plenty of members who never swear... I respect their self control.
    Hardly any.

We're all adults, everyone has sometimes something to say that is not the most polite, but we can handle it.

As long it doesn't end in excessive flame wars and personal attacks I think all here are adult enough and can handle someone using some naughty language.

If I might add, some keep it so polite that the language used and displayed is so sterile it has some notions of censorship.
    jhelb
    jhelb

Location : Previously: Belarus Currently: A Small Island No One Cares About

Post  jhelb Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:26 am

Werewolf wrote:We're all adults, everyone has sometimes something to say that is not the most polite, but we can handle it.

As long it doesn't end in excessive flame wars and personal attacks I think all here are adult enough and can handle someone using some naughty language.
    Agreed.

Werewolf wrote:If I might add, some keep it so polite that the language used and displayed is so sterile it has some notions of censorship.
    Can't think of any such poster on this forum.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 3:53 am