Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Russian domestic items vs western

kvs
    kvs

Russian domestic items vs western  - Page 2 Empty Re: Russian domestic items vs western

Post  kvs Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:47 am

I do not think it is some "wine is for romance" nonsense. Vodka has become ingrained in Russian culture. So two men getting together
    order some vodka because they expect vodka. Not because they view wine as "gay".

However, there is a side effect of having vodka as the default social drink. Beer and wine are considered "soft drinks". Beer
    was barely considered alcohol during the 1990s and 2000s. I would prefer if Russians stopped socially drinking vodka altogether.
    It is a nonsense social drink since it is 40% alcohol by volume. Wine at least has health benefits. Vodka makes alcoholics
    and liver disease.

Kiko
    Kiko

Russian domestic items vs western  - Page 2 Empty Re: Russian domestic items vs western

Post  Kiko Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:21 am

interesting, last time i was in Russia (in Moscow) I was told that two adult men would not drink wine together, because that would mean it is a "romantic" meeting, so most Russian men drink wine only when together with a woman (and instead drink beer or vodka when meeting male friends).
    Is it true?

For an Italian (or a French) this is quite strange...
    Partly true in modern times due to inertial legacy from Soviet times, but is a trend being gradually and steadily being phased out with a new one with local wine being consumed with meals and local sparkling wine for celebrations.
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:34 pm

Kiko wrote:
    interesting, last time i was in Russia (in Moscow) I was told that two adult men would not drink wine together, because that would mean it is a "romantic" meeting, so most Russian men drink wine only when together with a woman (and instead drink beer or vodka when meeting male friends).
    Is it true?

For an Italian (or a French) this is quite strange...
    Partly true in modern times due to inertial legacy from Soviet times, but is a trend being gradually and steadily being phased out with a new one with local wine being consumed with meals and local sparkling wine for celebrations.

Vodka predates the USSR by centuries. There was basically no significant sales of wine and beer in Russia before 1917. That the aristocracy
    consumed wine does not mean it was widespread. I know all about the genuine champagne from Crimea.

I have not seen much evidence of any transition to wine at social gatherings and that is not a conclusion based on my family or friends.
    We had a gathering after a seminar I gave at a university in Russia a few years ago and there were no bottles of wine or beer but there
    were bottles of vodka. Restaurant visits may be transitioning to wine since it goes better with food anyway.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:29 am