Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+45
GarryB
max steel
OminousSpudd
kvs
fragmachine
Vann7
A Different Voice
TheArmenian
magnumcromagnon
Austin
higurashihougi
Rmf
Hannibal Barca
Godric
AlfaT8
Kimppis
Walther von Oldenburg
mutantsushi
Nikander
Book.
NationalRus
KomissarBojanchev
Cowboy's daughter
PapaDragon
Dforce
George1
Firebird
Regular
bmtppk
zg18
Maximmmm
Karl Haushofer
victor1985
medo
KoTeMoRe
franco
Viktor
Werewolf
Project Canada
Prince Darling
Svyatoslavich
flamming_python
par far
Neutrality
JohninMK
49 posters

Russian Economy General News: #5

sepheronx
    sepheronx

Russian Economy General News: #5 - Page 26 Empty Re: Russian Economy General News: #5

Post  sepheronx Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:45 pm

Industrial production in the Kirov region for 9 months increased by 5.2%

Industrial production in the Kirov region for 9 months of 2015 increased compared to the same period last year by 5.2%, according to the materials Kirovstata.
    In particular, growth in the manufacturing sector was for the period of this year, 6%; the enterprises engaged in the production and distribution of electricity, gas and water - by 2.7%.
    In the manufacturing sector in January-September, there was an increase in the woodworking industry; manufacture of pulp, paper, cardboard and products from them, the production of food; chemical production.
    kvs
    kvs

Russian Economy General News: #5 - Page 26 Empty Re: Russian Economy General News: #5

Post  kvs Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:07 pm

sepheronx wrote:I am not saying to increase public debt significantly. But I am saying a small public debt increase isnt really bad as they can finish said projects without postponing or canceling it altogether.

In the years to come, we will see Russia reduce its debt again and reduce its budget to reflect realities.  They wont rely on ideas like QE as we all know it is what is causing the economic rift in the world as it really isn't helping QE based countries economies besides superficial rating schemes like GDP.  I don't entirely share the idea that CBR is out there to harm Russia but their methods of economics is very similar to various liberal countries whom have more economic problems than not, due to said policies (the idea of austerity is good. But the effects seem to be a spiral downhill effect in practice) and this is what they all have learned in the "Moscow school of higher economics", which I believe all of them came from (head of CBR, current economics minister, deputy economy minister, Kudrin, etc).  And well, you are not gonna get a different economic system when all the economy ministers are cuts of the same cloth.  Introducing systems like religious banking systems (Islamic and Christian) are good ideas.  But their idea of keeping interest rates high to fight inflation is kinda archaic. We tried that here in the 80's in Canada with some pretty devastating consequences.  But its effect did drop inflation and eventually they dropped interest rates and it really helped their economy grow.

So the ideas if keeping it high will help lower inflation and help increase the average persons disposable incomes as prices increase wont be nearly as high.  With the introduction of all these new agribusiness as well, Russia may face a deflation in prices in meats and veggies.  So I can understand CBRs ideas but the issue is what KVS says, the high rates is helping stunt GDP growth.  All comes down to now businesses are cutting back and tightening their belts in order to keep revenue and profits the same. In turn, the companies may not invest in modernization or even new industries in fears of their investments going to waste and having to pay back a high premium, which would heavily eat into their profits.  KVS is semi right, the ideas are that they have been doing a QE concept for years but nowhere near the extent of what QE figures are now.

Actually the money supply growth has decreased dramatically in the last 5 years. It was running around 50% for the 2000-2010 period.
    The point is that this monetarist does not even acknowledge the fact that "QE" was operating on a very large scale in Russia and
    pretends that all QE is bad QE. QE is bad if and only if the economy is fully monetized, i.e. saturated in terms of money supply.
    But Russia is still undergoing a transition from the command economy regime even if it has been 25 years. You can see the
    price structure in the US military-industrial complex, it is still much lower than in the developed west.

Instead, it was the low interest rates that CBR was able to provide was through its form of QE (they print and loan to banks). Foreign loans were of course if lower interest so government, mixed in with private institutions obtaining it.  Now that is gone (not entirely gone. There are apparently joint Russian/Chinese banks whom are still involved in Russian economy, and same with some other institutions). So once the inflation drops and CBR can start lowering interests, then Russia can start borrowing from the CBR which increases the public debt.  In turn, when it is paid off, the money stays within the country. Goes back to CBR and Sberbank.  If course, the high interest rates now is not ideal for Russia to obtain loans from CBR.

So what are other methods? Well, Glazyev's idea was that CBR provides loans to the banks at 0% interest rates through its own form of QE, so that banks can then provide loans to others.  But here is the catch, it COULD increase the inflation.  But for some reason, in the west it creates a deflation.  Something of that makes absolutely no sense.  So obviously, the game is rigged.   But the good thing is, people are slowly, but surely falling away form actually trusting the US economy (hence my comment about the printing money idea).  Other methods is simply allowing inflation to increase, increase money supply greatly, then fight to lower inflation again.  England did this for decades and worked for them.

The CBR should could the interest rate to 5% and see what happens. If there is any evidence of serious inflation increase, then
    they can increase it again. But they have to wait long enough for any initial inflation transient to work itself out. The economy
    as a dynamical system is not perfectly predictable and control processes such as money supply and interest rate adjustment
    need trial and error approaches. The CBR is reckless by jacking the interest rate to some arbitrary high value to control inflation
    that it can't even properly quantify. This kills economy growth.

The CBR is clearly categorizing the post-Soviet transition transient as inflation. This is criminal negligence. This long
    term price adjustment does not respond to interest rates.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:56 pm

Just hear what starikow has to say about CBR for those who still think that private crap bank has any interest in serving russia.

Austin

Post  Austin Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:47 am

http://tass.ru/ekonomika/2355310

CBR buying more US bond its now almost 90 billion dollar

Why are they not buying gold instead BIG BIG mistake buying USD

Better buy Chinese and Indian bonds or best gold
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:59 am

Austin wrote:http://tass.ru/ekonomika/2355310

CBR buying more US bond its now almost  90 billion dollar

Why are they not buying gold instead BIG BIG mistake buying USD

Better buy Chinese and Indian bonds or best gold

Combination.

See what is mentioned above about CBR.  This recklessness of CBR will not end well for them.  Eventually with the constant buying of US bonds, may well end with their heads and this is something they may not realize just yest.

The other idea I believe is that they may have seen how the USD keeps fluctuating so with increasing the amounts they owe in bonds, they could potentially gain a huge amount back in USD once its value increases, and then they can convert that.

there is also the idea if they decide to dump the US Bonds, it can help collapse US market.  But Russia's strength in the US bonds market is quite low compared to China and Japan.

Russia had also dumped a lot of US bonds much earlier in the year in order to cover various effects in their own currency.  Maybe they are playing the bond market.  Buy when it is lower, and if the currency (Rouble) devalues to the USD again (as it has increased in value over the days/weeks), then sell more bonds (especially if it becomes too unstable).  The bonds are not a physical entity anymore than a piece of paper.  So they are probably playing this game in order to earn the most amount they can before they cannot play this game.  All the while, at the same time, they are drastically increasing their gold reserves (without spending too much of their reserves in it).  They seem to be playing this game of diversifying their FOREX.  Problem with investing in Indian or Chinese bonds is that their markets are not as secured either.  Neither is their currency as the USD is indeed the main trading currency at the moment.  This is a reason why China still buys US bonds.  Why so many do.  But it isn't to help strengthen the US but more like a major gamble.  They are taking their chances with this and so far, returns in the past has been pretty decent for them.  So they could always sell when the Ruble drops to another low and in turn, buy Rubles (increasing its value as well as obtaining more than they would have had previously).  

But over time, people within the country are going to start to speculate as to the methods of the CBR.  And this is what I mentioned earlier in this post.  Eventually people will keep asking questions as to why the CBR is buying/investing in the market that is against them.  Why help the enemy?  It really isn't helping the enemy as I explained but many will see that.  And that could very well be another nail in the casket for CBR.  And this is interesting as some figures like Glazyev could very well use this as an instrument, and example, as to the CBR's piss poor policies.

Like I said earlier, there are policies of the CBR in where I can understand their position.  I also agree with KVS on how they should use this as an opportunity to test the waters by decreasing the interest rates (heck, even to at least 7%) and see what happens and then increase them back if it becomes problematic.  But the simple fact that they keep playing a gambling game rather than doing real investments within their own country may be viewed eventually as 5th column activity and could become their own demise.

I have started to see on various sites/forums of hatred towards the CBR.  If it grows and then people actually go to the streets or demands the government to intervene in the CBR, they will do what they do best and oblige to make changes in their policies, because regardless whichever agreements they signed with the IMF or whatever in the past, paper isn't worth more than a life.  And they will see that they don't want their heads rolling because of it.  Will it bring the changes needed? I don't know.
    Austin

Post  Austin Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:59 pm

International trade payments preferable in rubles for Russia — Deputy Finance Minister
    http://tass.ru/en/economy/829297

MOSCOW, October 15. /TASS/. Russia’s Deputy Finance Minister Sergey Storchak thinks it’s more preferable for Russia to make international export and import payments in rubles, not in national currencies, he said in an interview aired by the Rossiya-24 TV news channel on Thursday.

"I think it’s good if there’s been a change of accents. In my view, change of accents is not payments in national currencies in international trade regarding export and import transactions but exactly the shift to payments in rubles, not least because ex officio the ruble outweighs many other national currencies of our foreign economic partners. Thus, traditionally I’ve not liked very much the view that international trade payments should be made in national currencies. In this case the ruble should be highlighted," Storchak said.

Deputy Minister also considers it necessary for national producers and exporters of goods to be interested in making contracts in rubles.

"Optionally we already admit it in loan contracts with foreign countries, which the Finance Ministry has been making publicly. Our borrowers may choose between payments in convertible currency and in rubles. In fact we’re saying that the ruble and the dollar are equal currencies from the viewpoint of efficiency of payments. We’re not speaking about safety from the viewpoint of stability and we’re not speaking about this or that currency’s volatility. An exporter should assess himself what is more interesting for him and what volatility risks he sees," Storchak said.
    max steel
    max steel

Post  max steel Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:58 pm

Fitch affirms Russia at BBB-;Outlook Negative.
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:16 pm

Austin wrote:International trade payments preferable in rubles for Russia — Deputy Finance Minister
    http://tass.ru/en/economy/829297

MOSCOW, October 15. /TASS/. Russia’s Deputy Finance Minister Sergey Storchak thinks it’s more preferable for Russia to make international export and import payments in rubles, not in national currencies, he said in an interview aired by the Rossiya-24 TV news channel on Thursday.

"I think it’s good if there’s been a change of accents. In my view, change of accents is not payments in national currencies in international trade regarding export and import transactions but exactly the shift to payments in rubles, not least because ex officio the ruble outweighs many other national currencies of our foreign economic partners. Thus, traditionally I’ve not liked very much the view that international trade payments should be made in national currencies. In this case the ruble should be highlighted," Storchak said.

Deputy Minister also considers it necessary for national producers and exporters of goods to be interested in making contracts in rubles.

"Optionally we already admit it in loan contracts with foreign countries, which the Finance Ministry has been making publicly. Our borrowers may choose between payments in convertible currency and in rubles. In fact we’re saying that the ruble and the dollar are equal currencies from the viewpoint of efficiency of payments. We’re not speaking about safety from the viewpoint of stability and we’re not speaking about this or that currency’s volatility. An exporter should assess himself what is more interesting for him and what volatility risks he sees," Storchak said.
    This could be really important if Russia starts selling its oil in rubles not dollars. First it will hit at the dollar as 'the' petro-currency and second, it will increase the demand for rubles outside Russia, making the currency stronger, more stable so less vulnerable to attacks.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:17 pm

max steel wrote:  Fitch affirms Russia at BBB-;Outlook Negative.

As I posted in the econ thread, these ratings are useless and hence why a push to develop real international ones through brics
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:32 pm

sepheronx wrote:
    max steel wrote:  Fitch affirms Russia at BBB-;Outlook Negative.

As I posted in the econ thread, these ratings are useless and hence why a push to develop real international ones through brics

They are politically motivated nonsense. Russia's actual credit rating is AAA+. It has the debt levels far beneath its threshold to
    service them. In fact, it could pay them off today. Note that these ratings are for sovereign debt and not for private sector debt
    so Russia can use 10% of the reserve fund to pay it all off. Russia has been running a trade surplus for 15 years. There is clear
    evidence that Russia's economy is in a strong growth mode since the inflation shock from the large currency devaluation lasted all of
    4 months with no knock on effects whatsoever.

Industrial production bottomed out in April in the wake of the inflation shock and is increasing systematically. There will
    be net GDP growth in 2016. There is nothing left in terms of shocks to the Russian economy, not sanctions, not currency
    games and not access to capital markets. NATO blew its load prematurely and ineffectually.

Russian Economy General News: #5 - Page 26 Am94aS5ydS94QWVld3dPQzliZ0pBeS5qcGc_X19pZD02OTI0Nw==

It should be pointed out that these credit ratings are never below AA for NATO countries even if they are seeing 5% GDP contractions.
    NATO can put its anti-Russian propaganda (including all of these ludicrous ratings) where the Sun don't shine.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:19 pm

KVS, you still have that breakdown and link of % of money that goes to budget?
    Cyberspec
    Cyberspec

Post  Cyberspec Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:24 am

I think you are too critical of the CBR (I use to think the same)....considering they've done pretty good since the start of the crisis, I'm more open minded about them
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:49 am

Cyberspec wrote:I think you are too critical of the CBR (I use to think the same)....considering they've done pretty good since the start of the crisis, I'm more open minded about them

I don't believe the CBR to be malcontent in their practices, but what they are doing is simply doing what they were taught, which is what was setup for them by the west in the 90's.  Have you ever noticed how it is the west praising the woman that is the head of the CBR?  Yet there are people in Russia whom are not praising her but questioning her and her ilk's methods?

http://ria.ru/economy/20151018/1304029058.html

Anatoly Seryakov
    13:05 10/18/2015| 25
    I remember Gorbachev general declared "the best German year." For the West Nabiullina good, but for Russia ..

These people make a good point.  Yeltsin and Gorbachev were also praised in the west, and look what they did to Russia.  This I believe is no different.

Russian government I don't believe has the strength to deal with the CBR just yet, so they have to find alternatives and passaround.  One of that is through using their own reserves and venture fund groups (Rusnano and Rostec) in order to make the funding and advancements that are needed.  While CBR sits on the sidelines.  They helped a bit of course with keeping the value of the Ruble low, which is something I think was the right move. Keeping it low allows it to be significantly cheaper to fund and develop, while also cheaper for outsiders to gain advantage of the situation.  Trouble with the low value of the Ruble has allowed inflation to jump up quite a bit.  But now that is starting to even out and with the introduction of an increase in minimum wage, they wont have a problem.

CBR has only so much power in Russia.  They may try to help or cause trouble, but regardless, it can be countered easily by the government.  It would just benefit them more if they had more control over CBR.

Technically, Rus government can use the idea that the CBR is operating illegally in the pretext that it has over 50% shares in Sberbank which in this case means they have control over a bank which is a big no no in their operations, technically.

rtrsmith
    1:16 10/19/2015
    Just Vova, increase in the rate is definitely one of the instruments of monetary policy central banks. However, its application has even temporary limitations, and they are many. Generally, the use of those or other tools due to a complex of factors. It is pointless and even harmful it used in the current economic environment.
    In general, monetary theory, and its "reincarnation" in the works of the representatives of the Chicago School of Economics (best known Friedman), whose successor is Nabiullina (and ёё teacher Yasin) suffers primitivism and in America for example, it is not considered seriously, and certainly does not apply FRS.
    The rate increase is able to support the exchange rate (parity formula), ceteris paribus, but absolutely useless in the current (2014-2015) situation. This result is achieved (emphasize -with other things being equal) through speculating primitive mechanism called Kerry-trade. BUT: the high interest rate accelerates inflation costs, drastically reduces the investment in fixed assets and in long-term projects (especially long-term), and that is very important to have a negative impact on aggregate demand and so on. The actions of the ECB at the time, everyone is criticized, and erroneous actions and on the face (for several years the ECB conducts emissions). During the Great Depression, it was the dominant monetary theory (Smith's was still medieval and Rikardo- but it's all first class second quarter), and as you know, depression only worsened. Roosevelt also has a completely different strategy, just the opposite. Namely, travel bans and gold pr.dragmetalov stimulated emission of money, created the conditions for the reduction of unemployment, rigid state control over the banks and speculators, and so on. And the Second World helped, well, very much.
    And most importantly: the Central Bank is engaged targettirovaniem inflation (ie the aim of the DCT is the inflation rate), and this primitive short-sighted policy, if not harmful (it is certainly more "advanced" than the maintenance of the national currency exchange rate, but not much). The aim of the Central Bank of the DCT is a developed country and economic growth !!! All other parameters are: inflation, exchange rate and unemployment are its constituent parts and recycled when deciding on the use of certain instruments of the Central Bank.
    In summary we can say only one thing: DC CB policy is not only primitive, but also harmful to the country's current situation.
    And of course rate stabilized not because of "ridiculous" rate of growth of 7-8 points (think of themselves in daylight upward movement of the dollar though, would be on the ruble, which has to be the annual rate of refinancing to the formula worked parity exchange rates?).
    Central Bank had to introduce restrictive measures to stop the issuance of "unsecured" loans to banks for operations with repurchase at least. Well, give all the necessary measures has no meaning here, and seriously do not want to strain.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:34 am

http://ria.ru/economy/20151019/1304382706.html

Contrary to the title, VTB net profit is at 56.45 billion Rubles, 22% or so less than last years net profits for 9 months. Hey, at least it is still profits. Gotta love how media will put it in bad light due to crying over nothing. But still, good to know that banks make profit.
    Austin

Post  Austin Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:28 pm

The Ministry of Finance will spend 2.62 trillion rubles from the Reserve Fund in 2015

http://ria.ru/economy/20151019/1304456777.html

MOSCOW, October 19 - RIA Novosti. The Ministry of Finance of the Russian Federation in 2015 will spend 2.62 trillion rubles from the Reserve Fund, said the head of the Ministry of Anton Siluanov.

In mid-September, he said that in the current year from the Reserve Fund will be spent 2.5 trillion rubles.

"We included this year to spend from the reserve fund 3,074 trillion rubles, according to the latest estimates, we use up 2.62 trillion rubles. We have a very complicated coming and subsequent years", - said Siluanov on the budget committee of the State Duma.

According to the minister, one main task - preservation of sources of financing the budget deficit for the following years on the one hand and, on the other hand - no deterioration of the situation in terms of liquidity.

"The more we spend money from the Reserve Fund, the less toolkits with the Central Bank to provide liquidity to commercial banks," - he added.
    Austin

Post  Austin Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:30 pm

Looks like Reserve Fund will be completely spent by end of 2016 , So that leaves Money in National Welfare Fund to be spent on Budget Deficit in 2017 18 etc.

I posted news of Finance Ministry complaing of not able to use NWF money for development , NWF fund was suppose to be used only for Development Project as that is the pension money , if they send that money to bridge budget deficit then they cant spend on putting money in Development Work

Austin

Post  Austin Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:32 pm

The other day I was asking what happens if Russia spends all its Reserve Fund money what are its option , Found an article that exactly discuss that , Two option increase Public Debt or borrow from CBR Forex

Gazprombank - Macroeconomics. Russia's reserve funds: implications of accelerated spending - Oct 15, 2015

https://reports.seenews.com/reports/gazprombank-macroeconomics-russias-reserve-funds-implications-of-accelerated-spending-oct-15-2015-497421
    Austin

Post  Austin Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:47 pm

Russian Economy General News: #5 - Page 26 CRccI0yVAAAfou9
    Austin

Post  Austin Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:48 pm

Russian Economy General News: #5 - Page 26 CRccI0yVAAAfou9
    max steel
    max steel

Post  max steel Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:21 pm

RUSSIAN ECONOMY EXPANDED 0.3% M/M IN SEPT .So far the current account, capital account, industrial production, banking profits have all beaten expectations for sept / Q3.

Greatest damage to US national interests since End of Cold War was self-inflicted: the extraordinary overreaction to 9-11.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:14 pm

Austin wrote:The other day I was asking what happens if Russia spends all its Reserve Fund money what are its option , Found an article that exactly discuss that , Two option increase Public Debt or borrow from CBR Forex

Gazprombank - Macroeconomics. Russia's reserve funds: implications of accelerated spending - Oct 15, 2015

https://reports.seenews.com/reports/gazprombank-macroeconomics-russias-reserve-funds-implications-of-accelerated-spending-oct-15-2015-497421

I dont know if it is entirely related but Russia has been issuing bonds recently. So this is possibility of increasing public debt in order to fund projects. You need to ask yourself Austin, where you think the money goes to? It isnt just grabed from the pockets and flies away. Instead, the money goes to the system - the people/industries. The Russian government is funding projects, and funding them like it was at beginning of 2014. But they dont have enough in budget so they ended up using their reserves. As I said, it goes back to the system. Just more than they are bringing into as budget. People are speculating as usual, but the spending isnt going to be drastic and by 2017, may lower budget overall and no further spending beyond the budget. Possibility but we dont know 100%. But it is interesting to know their options. Much better and easier to speculate.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:19 pm

Good graph.

Russia needs to wane itself off of foreign funny money. Something China doesnt do yet and something India and Iran doesnt rely on. Russia shouldnt have relied on it too much. But now it is drying up, they can look forward to developing themselves.
    Karl Haushofer

Post  Karl Haushofer Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:52 pm

max steel wrote:RUSSIAN ECONOMY EXPANDED 0.3% M/M IN SEPT .So far the current account, capital account, industrial production, banking profits have all beaten expectations for sept / Q3.
    Source?
    max steel
    max steel

Post  max steel Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:15 pm

Karl Haushofer wrote:
    max steel wrote:RUSSIAN ECONOMY EXPANDED 0.3% M/M IN SEPT .So far the current account, capital account, industrial production, banking profits have all beaten expectations for sept / Q3.
    Source?

IFX and if you're a trader you can see big set of data retail sales, agriculture, services, transport, wages, inflation, employment.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:22 pm

So you cant show it? Link or anything? Screenshot with key things blurred out in paint?

Retail trade in Sept was worst than in April, dropped by 10% (drop havent seen since 2000). Which isnt good since consumers are 80% of Russias economy. If it grew by 0.3%, then there must have been real strong other indicators.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 18, 2024 4:47 pm