Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+64
BKP
Airman
Lapain
d_taddei2
BM-21
ali.a.r
sheytanelkebir
Cheetah
The Ottoman
slasher
HUNTER VZLA
T-47
SeigSoloyvov
littlerabbit
Cyberspec
Walther von Oldenburg
Project Canada
lycantrop
Visc
nomadski
Kimppis
Skandalwitwe
OminousSpudd
Bolt
mnrck
George1
GarryB
eehnie
calm
soigneerin
0nillie0
ultimatewarrior
KiloGolf
Regular
medo
ult
Benya
par far
PapaDragon
crod
Karbafoz
auslander
kvs
KomissarBojanchev
JohninMK
TheArmenian
MMBR
archangelski
storm333
AlfaT8
Hannibal Barca
starman
ATLASCUB
Vann7
A Different Voice
higurashihougi
Godric
AK-Rex
KoTeMoRe
arpakola
A1RMAN
Big_Gazza
magnumcromagnon
franco
68 posters

Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11

0nillie0
    0nillie0

Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11 - Page 21 Empty Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11

Post  0nillie0 Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:29 pm

JohninMK wrote:Battered and used gear. What's the sign on the door?

We have seen a variety of "second hand" vehicles for SAA with VDV markings in the past. I think at least some of these markings are not authentic.
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11 - Page 21 Empty Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11

Post  JohninMK Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:55 pm

0nillie0 wrote:

We have seen a variety of "second hand" vehicles for SAA with VDV markings in the past. I think at least some of these markings are not authentic.
    Would VDV, I assume Russian airborne troops from the sign, have this gear?
    calm
    calm

Post  calm Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:49 pm

JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:06 pm

Fuel tankers being the prime targets.
    franco
    franco

Post  franco Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:16 pm

JohninMK wrote:
    0nillie0 wrote:

Would VDV, I assume Russian airborne troops from the sign, have this gear?

No, too heavy.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:54 am

Normally I would agree that such vehicles would be too heavy for the VDV, but in Afghanistan the VDV did use some heavier vehicles from memory, including upgraded BMP-2Es because of their better protection and the fact that they did not perform any air assaults with armour except the initial attack in 1979.

Actually to be honest I have not read that much about their operations in Afghanistan... did they have heliborne formations... I don't honestly know.
    franco
    franco

Post  franco Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:59 pm

GarryB wrote:Normally I would agree that such vehicles would be too heavy for the VDV, but in Afghanistan the VDV did use some heavier vehicles from memory, including upgraded BMP-2Es because of their better protection and the fact that they did not perform any air assaults with armour except the initial attack in 1979.

Actually to be honest I have not read that much about their operations in Afghanistan... did they have heliborne formations... I don't honestly know.

They used heliborne but nothing heavier then a Mi-8 to my knowledge. The Mi-26 was developed for this but it only can carry 20t while that Smerch is 44t. Not even sure if either system was used in Afghanistan.

PS; see you elsewhere still trying to educate the masses Smile Hard to fill a closed container No
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:29 am

What I meant was that for airborne operations they need air portable vehicles and equipment, but when they are operating in theatre like Afghanistan, or in this case Syria they often use whatever equipment is there including heavy stuff that could never be air dropped by any means.

I remember seeing BMP-2Es with VDV markings in Afghanistan and I also vaguely remember seeing T-62s with extra armour and VDV symbols in photos that could not and would not be air dropped and would not normally form part of VDV equipment... but as they didn't use their air mobility heavier vehicles were clearly used on occasion.

Just to be clear... Smile
    calm
    calm

Post  calm Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:38 pm

Benya
    Benya

Post  Benya Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:01 pm

GarryB wrote:What I meant was that for airborne operations they need air portable vehicles and equipment, but when they are operating in theatre like Afghanistan, or in this case Syria they often use whatever equipment is there including heavy stuff that could never be air dropped by any means.

I remember seeing BMP-2Es with VDV markings in Afghanistan and I also vaguely remember seeing T-62s with extra armour and VDV symbols in photos that could not and would not be air dropped and would not normally form part of VDV equipment... but as they didn't use their air mobility heavier vehicles were clearly used on occasion.

Just to be clear... Smile

Maybe off topic, but... Off Topic

Actually, VDV is consisted of two types of units/formations, airborne and airmobile.

Airborne units are airdropped, they employ paratroopers and BMDs and BTR-Ds, 2S9 Nonas, 2S25 Sprut-SDs and so on, while airmobile units are not airdropped, they are more like regular mechanized infantry units, but they are deployed to combat zones by the use of different air mobility assets like transport helicopters/aircraft, thus they can use heavier equipment like T-72 tanks and BMPs.
    Benya
    Benya

Post  Benya Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:49 pm

De-escalation zones to be set up in Homs, East Ghouta, and Idlib – MoD

Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11 - Page 21 K8sgayakwlq

BEIRUT, LEBANON (8:40 P.M.) – Head of the Main Operational Department of the Russian General Staff Sergei Rudskoi stated that several new de-escalation zones were set to be fully introduced in the future, speaking from a press briefing at the Russian Defence Ministry, in Moscow, Monday.

Rudskoi said that the boundaries of in the zones “to the north of the city of Homs and in the region of East Ghouta” had been defined during the consultations, with the specifications of the a similar zones in Idlib province underway.

He added that in July alone, “Over 2,000 militants were neutralised as well as about 20 tanks and infantry fighting vehicles, more than 40 pickup trucks with large-calibre machine and anti-aircraft guns were destroyed.”

Commenting on the Syrian government forces progress, Rudskoi noted that SAA “took control over the Syrian-Jordanian border in the provinces of Essaouira and Damascus,” adding that “6,500 square kilometres of territory to the east of the ez Zelaf have been cleared of militants.”

Source: Arrow https://www.almasdarnews.com/article/de-escalation-zones-set-homs-east-ghouta-idlib-mod/
    franco
    franco

Post  franco Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:45 pm

Two new maps of Syria and who controls what territory. First map is when the Russians arrived and the last map is today.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFhDdYmWAAAwQO6.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFhDdYlXoAImqih.jpg
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:06 am

Your post is more descriptive this way. And really drives the point home:

franco wrote:Two new maps of Syria and who controls what territory. First map is when the Russians arrived and the last map is today.

Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11 - Page 21 DFhDdYmWAAAwQO6

Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11 - Page 21 DFhDdYlXoAImqih
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:04 am

Yeah, some Russian quagmire it turned out to be.
    miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:23 am

kvs wrote:Yeah, some Russian quagmire it turned out to be.    

I've noticed online the lack of the comments on the people harping about "Afghanistan 2.0" for Russia. Guess they couldn't figure out why Russia was so successful here.
    Walther von Oldenburg
    Walther von Oldenburg

Post  Walther von Oldenburg Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:13 pm

Was there really so little territory under SAA control? The pocket in Homs in particular looks too large.
    franco
    franco

Post  franco Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:38 pm

Walther von Oldenburg wrote:Was there really so little territory under SAA control? The pocket in Homs in particular looks too large.

The West was anticipating Syria would fall by New Years as the Government forces were on the ropes. I too have also read that 19,000 km2 was under Government control when the Russians arrived. No matter how you cut it, quite a change.
    calm
    calm

Post  calm Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:06 pm

Walther von Oldenburg wrote:Was there really so little territory under SAA control? The pocket in Homs in particular looks too large.

No, both maps are wrong.

On that new map, there are no rebel pocket in Qalamoun, Manbij is in SAA hands SAA is in Afrin, east Daara is wrong, no IS/Nusra pockets on Lebanon border. Suwaida is wrong too. They just draw those maps like that.... No
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:19 am

calm wrote:

No, both maps are wrong.

On that new map, there are no rebel pocket in Qalamoun, Manbij is in SAA hands SAA is in Afrin, east Daara is wrong, no IS/Nusra pockets on Lebanon border. Suwaida is wrong too. They just draw those maps like that....  No

But you are wrong for insinuating that the territorial gains by the SAA between September 2015 and July 2017 are not even worth mentioning.
    calm
    calm

Post  calm Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:24 am

I have posted multiple maps of SAA gains in past 2 years. In my post above i wasn't insinuating anything.
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:34 am

Had to happen!

RussianDefence.com‏ @Russian_Defence 8h8 hours ago
    Replying to @Russian_Defence

To scrutinise heavy platform in real combat, with UBP #Armata in mind, #Russia is to apparently send BMO-T to #Syria http://vestnik-rm.ru/news-4-20773.htm …

Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11 - Page 21 DFtCmnCXoAEfi5D
    calm
    calm

Post  calm Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:58 pm

Tartous

that is a lot of ammunition on that satellite image
    Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11 - Page 21 DF0URTxXgAMTiKc
    KiloGolf
    KiloGolf

Post  KiloGolf Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:43 pm

Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11 - Page 21 DFqLxl_XkAAlfJa

Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11 - Page 21 DFqLy-RXYAEwMax
    Yusha Yuseef
    @MIG29_

Tartous : Russian warships, submarines and destroyers reach the coast of Tartus for maneuvers in 30/7

what are they doing? Navy parade in Syria? dunno
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:03 pm

KiloGolf wrote:
    Tartous : Russian warships, submarines and destroyers reach the coast of Tartus for maneuvers in 30/7

what are they doing? Navy parade in Syria? dunno [/quote]
    Almost certainly a parade, like St Petersburg
    KiloGolf
    KiloGolf

Post  KiloGolf Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:35 pm

JohninMK wrote:
    KiloGolf wrote:

what are they doing? Navy parade in Syria? dunno
    Almost certainly a parade, like St Petersburg[/quote]

This can only mean one thing, Tartous will become a proper Naval Base russia

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 4:18 am