At the beginning of September 2018, with the first official visit, the President of the Philippines (since 30.06.16) Rodrigo Duterte visited Israel as head of state. The visit lasted 4 days (02-05.09.18), Dutherte was accompanied by a delegation of 400 people, including. high-ranking military leaders and representatives of the power ministries planning to visit Israeli military bases and exchange of experience (according to other sources, the delegation was more "modest", 130 people, although perhaps the military was a separate delegation). The visit was the first visit to Israel of the current president of the Philippines. By the way, in 1973-2000. Dutterte was married to an American Jewess Elizabeth Zimmermann (with whom he was not officially divorced), has 3 children in this marriage, his daughter Sarah Dutterte-Caprio also participated in the visit.
Diplomatic relations between Israel and the Philippines were established in 1957. However, until the 2010s. virtually no military exports to the Philippines from Israel nebylo.
Export activation began in 2014. SIPRI reports the following transactions:
- 2014 - 12 EL / M-2032 radar for 12 South Korean combat aircraft FA-50 (light fighter-attack aircraft, created on the basis of training aircraft T-50 Golden Eagle, the Philippines received the aircraft version FA-50PH in 2015-2017; it is possible to purchase another 12);
- 2014 - UT-25 turret of Elbit Systems Land and C4I for modernization of the M113A2 BTR; 4 turrets were obtained in 2015 (according to Wikipedia data, 6 more M113A2 equipped with Elbit turrets with 12.7 mm Elbit Dragon RCWS machine guns, in 2019 another 44 turrets will be delivered, and 5 M113A2 will be armed with Elbit 81- mm mortars);
- 2015 - 3 EL / M-2288 AD-STAR radars for $ 56 million - search radars for air defense and air traffic control;
- 2015 - 12 second-hand M-71 guns and 240 high-explosive shells to them, received in 2017; 6 guns for the MP, 6 for the SW of the Philippines; the cost of the transaction - from about 8.3 million dollars, more details in the article "The history of the production of artillery guns by the company" Soltam ";
2016 - Spike-ER ATGM for arming MPAC Mk 3 assault boats, deliveries from 2017; MPAC (Multipurpose Assault Craft) is being built in the Philippines since 2009, version Mk3 is from 2017; On May 22, 17, three boats of this type (BA-488, BA-489 and BA-491) were commissioned, each carrying a Rafael Mini Typhoon turret (with a 12.7mm machine gun) and a Raphael Typhoon MLS-ER ( for 4 Spike-ER missiles); 22.08.18 boats and their weapons, including ATGM, were officially declared combat-ready; plans to build a series of three MPAC Mk4 boats with similar weapons;
- 2016 - ATGM Spike-NLOS for the arming of helicopters AW159.
Also, it was reported on the supply of the Combat-NG fire control systems to the Philippines by Elbit.
In addition to all of the above, according to the article AFP Modernization Act (AFP - Armed Forces of the Philippines) Wikipedia:
- It is possible to purchase the Raffael SAM;
- It is possible to purchase a Rafael MLRS and IMI;
- It is possible to purchase 12 ATMOS ATMs (155 mm, truck-based) from Elbit;
- the purchase of fighters is being studied, and IAI "Kfir" Block 60 - among candidates;
- delivery of equipment "Elbit" for new helicopters;
- Supply of equipment from various Israeli companies for new frigates.
Just before Dutherte's visit to Israel, it was published:
in the past, the Philippines has almost closed the contract for the purchase of Israeli MLRS, but then abolished it, transferring the budget to the fight against terrorism; now the purchase of MLRS with the corrected missiles is again relevant, the IMI products compete in the South Korean MLRS K136 Kooryong;
IAI and Israeli Shipyards compete for a $ 71 million contract to supply the Coast Guard of the Philippines with high-speed patrol boats - Super Court and Shaldag, respectively; Both types can carry turret "Typhoon" produced by "Raphael".