Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+2
TR1
magnumcromagnon
6 posters

Hi everyone...

magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Hi everyone... Empty Hi everyone...

Post  magnumcromagnon Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:38 am

New member here, I'm American and the current events such as the ongoing conflict in Syria and the freak out reaction of NATO towards the idea of S-300's being purchased and sold to the Syrian Arab Army really stoked my interest in Russian weapons tech. I was ignorant (I'm still ignorant of Russian technological innovation), however the past few months have been very intriguing to me due to my pursuit of knowledge of Russian tech innovation, liken to the proverbial pursuit of the philosopher stone.

Things I've learned recently from my pursuit that just blew me away:

1.) After all the years of black propaganda peddled by NATO, the so called "invisible" stealth planes happened to be susceptible to long-wave low energy radiation in the form of passive radar (correct me if I'm wrong). The F-117 stealth bomber being shot down over Serbia was hardly mentioned in U.S. media.

2.) While Americans landed on the moon (an impressive feat), the Soviets landed a moon rover (technologically-wise even more impressive) within the same time-frame, yet their has been a total blackout about the wonderful achievement in U.S. media.

3.) Russians produce the most advanced rocket engine technology in the world bar-none, NASA now almost exclusively outsource to the Russian Federation for Rocket Engines.

4.) DARPA and the Pentagon have been developing and airborne chemical laser since the early 2000's while the Soviets had airborne chemical lasers (Beriev A-60) since the early 80's!

...There has been a relentless campaign in Western media to unjustly label all Russians as barbaric sub-human savages who contribute nothing to the world, as well as labeling Serbians the same way (despite the fact that Nikola Tesla was Serbian). So far I've been lurking and decided to sign up because I liked what I saw. Thanks for having me, I hope I'm welcomed aboard!
    TR1
    TR1

Hi everyone... Empty Re: Hi everyone...

Post  TR1 Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:52 am

Welcome!

I think I'd rate landing a human to be more impressive than a rover though Wink
    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Morpheus Eberhardt

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:56 am

welcome
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:18 pm

welcome .

I was guided with similar principles when I started to explore Russian technology and military (greatly enchanted by out university professors).
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:32 pm

welcome 

Nice to see someone actually finding a honest interest into russian military technology, rather beeing the average ignorant guy doesn't cares and just repeats advertisment nonsense like a mantra to reinforce their own believes to be an even bigger flag waver.
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:59 pm

TR1 wrote:Welcome!

I think I'd rate landing a human to be more impressive than a rover though Wink
    Landing a person on the Moon is impressive, no doubt...however also incredibly dangerous. Landing a rover is more practical and you don't have to worry about losing a trained astronaut/cosmonaut. Thankfully NASA learned it's lesson and decided to put a rover on Mars before leading a manned expedition there.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:23 pm

A Manned one way ticket to mars wouldn't be the best advertisment the NASA can hope for.
    And who would be that stupid to apply to such a death trip?
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:34 pm

Werewolf wrote:welcome 

Nice to see someone actually finding a honest interest into russian military technology, rather beeing the average ignorant guy doesn't cares and just repeats advertisment nonsense like a mantra to reinforce their own believes to be an even bigger flag waver.
    Thanks, I came from a state-of-thought in the grey-area of neutrality. I grew up in the United States hearing black propaganda peddled from CNN, to the History channel about how US military and Nato were always "right and just", and their tech was vastly superior to "rusted, old, inferior Soviet tech", till I found out about the F-117 that was shot down over Yugoslavia/Serbia by 60's era Soviet SAM tech that was adjusted to use longwave radiation radar. After the last decade hearing disinformation by NATO about "WMD's in Iraq", to Robert S. McNamara admitting that the Golf of Tonkin incident never happened, to the Jessica Lynch farce, to the admission of NATO soldiers protecting opium fields in Afghanistan, to the unsubstantiated claims by CNN to Al-Jazeera about the Libyan and Syrian rebels  who were  fighting for "freedom and democracy", only to find out that areas in Libya to Syria controlled by the "Takfiri" (that's holier-than-thou in Arabic) rebels were ruled with strict Sharia laws and courts!

After years of hearing non-sense claims made by NATO, I've grown to be more skeptical of their unsubstantiated accusations and their sanctimonious hypocritical double standards...and here I am, still as skeptical as ever and loving every bit of it lol!
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:26 am

welcome 

Regarding landing a man on the moon... that was a very impressive achievement, but if there had been any delays in the US program I am pretty sure the Soviets could have snatched away the win... their Energia rocket needed a bit more work and testing though.

When talking about space in the west everything is about landing a man on the moon.. which was an impressive achievement as I have said, but landing things on the moon, viewing the side that always faces away from earth that had never been seen before till Soviet photos were published... even sending things to land on Mars... the Soviets did first.

It is a bit like WWII... the west will talk about the strategic bombing of Germany and D Day as two critical events... and they were not unimportant, but what was happening on the eastern front was more important to the war in europe.

Shooting down the F117 took a lot of skill and patience and is not something that could be repeated over and over again. Having said that if the enemy was Russia then the skills would still be there but the equipment would be orders of magnitude better and rather more planes would have been lost.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:41 am