Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+4
Mr.Kalishnikov47
Werewolf
GarryB
AZZKIKR
8 posters

Your Zombie Survival of Choice

AZZKIKR
    AZZKIKR

Your Zombie Survival of Choice Empty Your Zombie Survival of Choice

Post  AZZKIKR Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:44 am

Well, wanted to see how a military forum might respond to this thread.

Scenario: You are given a wide variery of options to choose for your zombie apocalypse kit. Logistics and supplies have all been handled by the government, but you are hired to do the dirty job, clearing the zombie horde.

You are given a choice of 1 SMG/Assault Rifle(choose), 1 Sidearm, 2 weapons of choice, 2 melee weapons. You are also provided a special vehicle of your choosing.

Me, I'd choose the...

SAR-21 (local govt uses the 5.56mm round, therefore chances of finding ammunition is relatively high, as the SAR-21 will be used alot)

MP-446 Viking (9mm NATO rounds, plentiful in SG. 17 round magazine a bonus)

Ultimax 100 (reputed to be one of the best machineguns in the world. No recoil, lightweight, offers a lot of possibilities against a zombie horde)

RPG-7 (simple, point and shoot. not necessary for anything complicated)

Spetsnaz Ballistic Knife and Shovel for melee weapons.

Special vehicle: a Heavily Modified MAZ-7310 equipped with living quarters, as well as 14.5mm turrets on roof. Perhaps the addition of a simple turret of a ZSU-23-4 on it to allow for heavy firepower.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Your Zombie Survival of Choice Empty Re: Your Zombie Survival of Choice

Post  GarryB Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:23 am

I think the main thing to keep in mind with zombies is that a bullet to the brain kills them and everything else just slows them down a bit.

This means accuracy is a priority and bullet power just needs to penetrate skull.

I would want my own custom made rifle, like one of those full auto models with a big round hopper for ammo on top that holds hundreds of rounds.

I would previously have said .22WMR just to make sure, but these days those little .17WMRs look pretty good to 150m or so.

Semi auto only I would have a bullpup configuration with a 400 round hopper on top.

That would be my rifle.

You could carry thousands of rounds of .17 cal ammo for the weight of a few hundred standard assault rifle rounds, but if I had to take an assault rifle I would go with the AK12 in 5.45mm.

For my pistol I would take a standard 9mm, that new "strike one" pistol with a standard length barrel but with the 30 round extended magazine would be nice.

Sometimes however you do want to reach out and touch and in such situations I would probably go for an SV-98 in 7.62 x 54mm calibre.

When you just need to kill everyone in the room however I would go for a Balkan 40mm automatic grenade launcher with a belt feed.

For my standard vehicle I would go currently with a BTR-82A... the vast majority of zombies I could simply run over...

The air burst 30mm HE shells should be very effective at shattering brains... get them exploding at head height and let those fragments fly.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:30 pm

Zombies.... Twisted Evil

So we are talking now for a big dirty game with military toys instead of "surviving situations" like in movies.

And the military is paying for everything sounds to desperate to be on zombies side...

So weapon of choice...AEK-973 with kobra sight and suppressor.

Otz-33 Pernach full automatic with 28 rounds magazine and suppressor.

Twisted Evil Name is the game... a Ka-50N with thermobaric 40x S-8ODF warheads,2x AGS-17A pods with VOG-30 thermobaric warheads and 460 HE-FI shells.
    Theoratical i could fly it, when i can trust DCS: Black Shark claim that who can operate it in simulation he also could operate it in reality. tongue

Light weight Machete and 15cm blade Knife.

And the GM-94 grenade launcher.

We are talking about reality and zombies can only move as long they have water in their bodies for the conductivity from brain to muscles.
    So under good weather conditions they would "starve" away.

For a "silent scenario" i would chose the SVL Lobaev or better VSS already silenced and a accurate pistol like the Strizh,suppressed and with extended ammunition.

BMP2M with also AGS-17/30 as optional weapon and with Thermobaric Kornet missiles.
    Instead of IR-smoke grenades of the dispenser i would choose White phosphours grenades and charge them into big groups of zombies and incindiate them Twisted Evil
    And of course for the Fun and Style Factor, this zombies haven't any chance anyway, a DSHK with HE-shells on my BMP.

And a propaganda device with megaphone with "Volga Men and Soviet March2 from C&C" to attract the attention from the whole zombies.
    Mr.Kalishnikov47
    Mr.Kalishnikov47

Post  Mr.Kalishnikov47 Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:22 am

I wouldn't usually participate in a topic like this, because, you know, zombies. . Rolling Eyes
    but it's pretty boring over here right now so why not. .

If a real zombie scenario were to ever erupt, I would probably want to travel light. This means I would probably wouldn't carry a rifle. They're too heavy and take up a lot of space that could be better used to carry more food, and if you ever find yourself in a situation where your handgun isn't good enough for the job, then you're probably already doomed anyways.

If for whatever reason I did have to carry a rifle, it would be an AK, most likely chambered in 5.45x39 (the ammo's easy to find, and I already have a couple thousand rounds stored up in Nevada, where I can actually shoot it Rolling Eyes ). I know the platform inside and out, so it's a natural choice. Of course I don't need to mention the added advantage of having a reliable weapon platform in a world where gun lube probably isn't going to be something you commonly come across. .

My sidearm would probably just be a cheap Ruger .22 pistol. .22 is more than adequate for head shots, comes in decently large mags, and has very little kick. Then again, the Russian PSS silent pistol would be VERY useful. The ability to fire a shot without being swarmed would be a lifesaver.

My melee weapon would be a high quality, steel crowbar. Not only can it smash heads in if it needs to, but it's also useful for a variety of other purposes. I wouldn't want to carry a second melee weapon, for the same reason I wouldn't want to carry a rifle.

If I could have any vehicle, it would be the Ural-4320 with an attached trailer. Great offroad capabilities, and it would allow me to store many things I wouldn't normally be able to carry on my person, such as a rifle or excess ammunition and food.

. . Seriously though, zombies? What is this, AR-15.com?
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:03 am

Such topics are rarely about real zombies, and more often about survival.

In other words it is a generic question about what you think would help you to survive if society breaks down for whatever reason... whether it is a super volcano, asteroid strike, disease pandemic, whatever.

The threat of Zombies or aliens is pretty low, but remember disease has killed a lot of people over the years and despite how clever we think we are there is always a chance that a new disease could slip unnoticed and infect much of the worlds population.

It doesn't need to be Ebola, it doesn't need to make us bleed from every orifice... it might not even be lethal... just preventing natural reproduction could lead to the extinction of the human race... as people start to age and increasing numbers of suicides with a sudden stop in children being born how long before society breaks down and things start to get a bit barbaric.

Either way by blaming zombies we can discuss our survival choices without needing too much detail, with results that could be applied to getting caught in a third world country in a civil war, right through to alien invasion and anything in between.
    Mr.Kalishnikov47
    Mr.Kalishnikov47

Post  Mr.Kalishnikov47 Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:46 am

You're telling me that in a standard survival situation, your ideal course of action would be to acquire a BTR equipped with an airburst 30mm cannon, a custom made rifle that can hold hundreds of rounds of ammunition, an SV-98 sniper rifle, a strike-one pistol, and a Balkan 40mm grenade launcher?

Better safe than sorry I suppose. lol1
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:04 am

I am prepared to compromise, but these choices would be my first choices if they were available... Smile

Surviving depends on the local fauna and flora... on an alien planet if I could take just one weapon it would probably be an AK.
    Mr.Kalishnikov47
    Mr.Kalishnikov47

Post  Mr.Kalishnikov47 Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:54 am

GarryB wrote:I am prepared to compromise, but these choices would be my first choices if they were available... Smile

But don't you think all of that equipment would probably attract more attention then it's worth? Anybody with a weapon would see you as an enemy. .

Surviving depends on the local fauna and flora... on an alien planet if I could take just one weapon it would probably be an AK.

I agree that it depends on the environment. If I had to survive in a lush, rain forest like environment I'd want a machete, and if it was a dry, desert environment I'd want an entrenching shovel. After all, how are you going to survive if you can't even make yourself some basic shelter?
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:23 am

But don't you think all of that equipment would probably attract more attention then it's worth? Anybody with a weapon would see you as an enemy. .

Actually I would hope they would see me as being well protected and leave me alone... and prey on other weaker targets.

I agree that it depends on the environment. If I had to survive in a lush, rain forest like environment I'd want a machete, and if it was a dry, desert environment I'd want an entrenching shovel. After all, how are you going to survive if you can't even make yourself some basic shelter?

The thing is that I can make tools... I can't make a weapon that will efficiently kill at 300m.

Having a knife is nice but being able to kill small and medium game from distances from which they don't even know I am there means I should be well fed. Being well fed makes other things like building shelters much easier.
    Mr.Kalishnikov47
    Mr.Kalishnikov47

Post  Mr.Kalishnikov47 Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:19 pm

GarryB wrote:Actually I would hope they would see me as being well protected and leave me alone... and prey on other weaker targets.

You'd have to leave that BTR eventually. . A high power diesel engine will only run for so long you know. I'd much rather lay low and avoid the extra attention.

Besides, according to the OP, The military will provide me with any Vehicle or weapon of my choosing. What's to stop me from choosing a jet liner, flying over there to New Zealand, and blowing your BTR to bits with an RPG-7?

When all the chaos clears up, and I declare myself ruler of the world, I can't afford to have some kiwi in a BTR threatening my empire. .dunno sorry.

The thing is that I can make tools... I can't make a weapon that will efficiently kill at 300m.

Having a knife is nice but being able to kill small and medium game from distances from which they don't even know I am there means I should be well fed. Being well fed makes other things like building shelters much easier.

Excellent point. .Touche.

KomissarBojanchev
    KomissarBojanchev

Post  KomissarBojanchev Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:32 pm

Kashtan CIWS installed on an appropriate tank chassis(T-90 most likely) plus ShkAS MGs and shmel launchers
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:16 pm

You'd have to leave that BTR eventually. . A high power diesel engine will only run for so long you know. I'd much rather lay low and avoid the extra attention.

And that is the main problem with most survival plans... the fuel will run out, as will the processed food and clean water. Who really wants to go camping for the rest of their lives?

Personally I would use the BTR to find a good defensible spot (movie logic suggests a mall with food and water and fuel) where I could park the vehicle as a defensive stationary position that I can retreat to and if needed leave with the essentials in very desperate situations.

If I can get hold of a BTR then it is possible someone else could get hold of a TOW or Milan or other dangerous weapon to ruin my day.

There will be the gun nuts, who have an idea about how to use weapons and the average masses who have learned from the movies... the latter group will be surprised when after 30 shots their AK will stop firing and they will question why it is considered a reliable weapon because it always jams after 30 shots and never shoots again.

Besides, according to the OP, The military will provide me with any Vehicle or weapon of my choosing. What's to stop me from choosing a jet liner, flying over there to New Zealand, and blowing your BTR to bits with an RPG-7?

But I also have a Mig-35 and AEW setup along with P-3 Orion MPA aircraft to prevent the crazies from the outside getting into new zealand... lets face it... when the social collapse starts it will have to be in the US or it never happened... Twisted Evil ...look at all the asteroid impact movies too... even the climate change movies back me up on this... Twisted Evil

When all the chaos clears up, and I declare myself ruler of the world, I can't afford to have some kiwi in a BTR threatening my empire. .dunno sorry.

Sorry dude... when empires collapse then everyone goes back to being equal and the chances of anyone from the former empire taking over is very remote... when the roman empire fell for instance there was not much chance of some roman building it all back up again and restoring it any time soon because even in the shattered reminance the survivors really don't want to go back to what they had.

Kashtan CIWS installed on an appropriate tank chassis(T-90 most likely) plus ShkAS MGs and shmel launchers

Tanks burn up a lot of fuel very rapidly, you would need a significant and on going source of fuel.

Kashtan and ShKAS (BTW are you sure you only want ShKAS and not UltraShKAS?) both have very very high rates of fire, for Kashtan it is to engage very small very fast moving targets, where getting as many shells into a certain piece of air space quickly is the key to getting the job done, while the ShKAS and UltraShKAS is all about arming an aircraft with a small single barrel weapon with the fire power of 4-5 similar foreign equivalents to reduce weight while retaining fire power to hit high speed moving targets from a fixed mount on a moving platform.

Keep your bursts short or carry an enormous amount of ammo my friend. attack
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:41 pm

Guys you are now totaly off-topic.

The thread was not about "Zombie suvival scenario" but about, you are mercenaries and the goverment is paying for every equipment and resource you will need to deal with the Zombie plague.

Yes its completly unrealistic, and i am not refering to zombies, but to the point that the goverment will give single civilians the job instead of dealing with the plague of zombies with an entire Army cleansing.
    But the thread was so.

You

Your Zombie Survival of Choice SDUKt

Your Prey

Your Zombie Survival of Choice Zombies
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:33 pm

Are you familiar with the second and third movies in the Tremors series?
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:45 pm

GarryB wrote:Are you familiar with the second and third movies in the Tremors series?

Its very long time ago since i have seen this movies, but i can remember on the most of the movie.

So are you referring to Bert? Very Happy
    Mr.Kalishnikov47
    Mr.Kalishnikov47

Post  Mr.Kalishnikov47 Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:54 am

GarryB wrote: when the social collapse starts it will have to be in the US or it never happened... Twisted Evil ...look at all the asteroid impact movies too... even the climate change movies back me up on this... Twisted Evil

Crap, you're right. . lol1

Sorry dude... when empires collapse then everyone goes back to being equal and the chances of anyone from the former empire taking over is very remote... when the roman empire fell for instance there was not much chance of some roman building it all back up again and restoring it any time soon because even in the shattered reminance the survivors really don't want to go back to what they had.

You act like I'd give them any choice in the matter Twisted Evil

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:19 am

In the second movie Bert meets the boys down in some unnamed south or central american country and turns up in an army truck with all sorts of stuff... the country supplying them with anything they asked for (Bert gets HE and all sorts of weapons and ammo, while the amatures get a few boxes of dynamite).

In the second movie where it transpires that the underground worm things turn into fast running carnivores Bert says he was equipped to deal with under ground creatures so his focus was penetration and that if he had known he would have gone for heavy calibre preferably belt fed.

In the third movie at the start he gets to put this into practise by using belt fed 50 cal HMGs in an twin barrel AA mount against an enormous number of "Shriekers".

If you haven't seen any of the Tremors movies I would recommend the first and second movies. The third was a bit of a stretch as I think it got a little silly, but the fourth movie was very clever and is worth watching too.

(I still watch all four, but the third movie might not be to everyones taste...)

Bert is my favourite character, but would have been better off with 7.62 x 39mm weapons than with the 5.56mm weapons you see him use sometimes in the movie. The elephant guns he uses are a good choice but 50 cal AP would have been more effective.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:44 pm

GarryB wrote:In the second movie Bert meets the boys down in some unnamed south or central american country and turns up in an army truck with all sorts of stuff... the country supplying them with anything they asked for (Bert gets HE and all sorts of weapons and ammo, while the amatures get a few boxes of dynamite).

In the second movie where it transpires that the underground worm things turn into fast running carnivores Bert says he was equipped to deal with under ground creatures so his focus was penetration and that if he had known he would have gone for heavy calibre preferably belt fed.

In the third movie at the start he gets to put this into practise by using belt fed 50 cal HMGs in an twin barrel AA mount against an enormous number of "Shriekers".

If you haven't seen any of the Tremors movies I would recommend the first and second movies. The third was a bit of a stretch as I think it got a little silly, but the fourth movie was very clever and is worth watching too.

(I still watch all four, but the third movie might not be to everyones taste...)

Bert is my favourite character, but would have been better off with 7.62 x 39mm weapons than with the 5.56mm weapons you see him use sometimes in the movie. The elephant guns he uses are a good choice but 50 cal AP would have been more effective.

In the cellar scene

.50 cal scene

I love this guy.

But to come back to your comment, i think the goverment decided like that because he is somewhere in nowhere and high experienced "redneck" with lot of guns and the military would be little bit like an overkill for few of this tremors.

But in a zombie apocalypse scenario i dont think the goverment would ask a few private people to do the job against million zombies rather than using the military with their soldiers that is paid doesn't matter what they do, to achieve little bit practice (even when its just accuracy and teamwork/coordination and command practice) and to have much more successfull firepower in bigger scale rather than few thousand private people who are out of their controll.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:20 am

Blackwater?

I rather suspect they would ask for volunteers, and I think there would be plenty.
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:33 am

I'm sure that the US government would mobilize the national guard and FEMA, organize armed militias among civilians, start bringing their military back from overseas pronto too. If you ever seen the original Dawn of the Dead you'll see what I mean - large roving bands of armed rednecks supplementing national guard units, shooting zombies, drinking squash, taking photos and all having a jolly good time.
    collegeboy16
    collegeboy16

Post  collegeboy16 Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:21 am

Stay in the penthouse suite of a 5-star hotel with all my friends and family, mount miniguns and machineguns on top of UGVs and control those with gaming consoles.
    Or, or how about this: grab a BMPT Armata and have fun.
    milky_candy_sugar
    milky_candy_sugar

Post  milky_candy_sugar Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:20 am

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:10 pm