Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+11
Tsavo Lion
Kysusha
IronsightSniper
El Eternauta
ala3
SerbNationalist
Russian Patriot
Aberdeenlad
GarryB
Admin
soltec
15 posters

Malvinas War in 1982

Aberdeenlad

Malvinas War in 1982 - Page 7 Empty Re: Malvinas War in 1982

Post  Aberdeenlad Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:24 am

Kysusha wrote:What always struck me as strange about that "photograph" of the HMS Invincible burning is what IS NOT HAPPENING in the photo.

For a start , the smoke is too thick and too "isolated". There is no evidence of smoke emanating from vents, openings or secondary damage areas.

Where are the damage control teams/? Absolutely NO ONE on deck after a serious hit????

No Medics or injured on deck?

No heat damage - that amount of smoke must be coming from a very intense fire, yet there is no evidence of blistering, warping or other damage visible on the flight deck or any part of the superstructure.

There is no evidence of any sort of explosion which would have started the fire.

A look at the wave pattern would suggest that she is quartering the waves – SOP for fire on board is to turn to wind. While the photo shows smoke going aft, the wave pattern tends to suggest a conflict with the smoke.

If this hit was supposedly in the turbine region – would not the funnels be emitting a substantially greater amount of smoke – black sooty smoke as in a fire?

And more questions???

Look, I am not a sailor – I’m a grunt, but just ask yourself intelligence type questions and see if they can be answered by the photograph. For my part, the photo leaves out more than it shows.

Just take a moment and sit quietly – think about what happens in a fire on-board and try to visualise what might be happening on HMS Invincible if she was mortally hit and in peril of sinking. Imagine the flurry of activity that would accompany a serious hit. Think about what sort of damage a missile or bomb strike would cause and what you could expect to see. Make a list of “things” then ask the photo questions; see if you get the answers from this photo.

My bet is – you don’t.

Safe bet. Still no sign of any evidence from Soltec. dunno
    Kysusha
    Kysusha

Post  Kysusha Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:44 am

I maybe wrong here, but I understand from recent posts that our Argie mate claimed that the photo was “supplied” to the Argentineans by British Intelligence – or MoD.

I struggle to see the logic in such a move. Why would the MoD put out false information such as the sinking of the Invincible, knowing that it would face an on-going barrage of questions and media as a result? The only possible explanation is that they were baiting the Argies into going public with information that they had not confirmed so that it was easier to counter-act the propaganda campaign emanating from Argentina. Like a double bluff, if you will.

Give the Argies a doctored photo and an incorrect story and let them tell the world about it – then simply have the Invincible appear over the horizon and who is going to believe the Argies press releases again?

If your enemy “gave” you some intelligence – would you not be sceptical?

This fits very nicely into the modus operandi of British Counter-Intelligence and disinformation programmes – remember the “man who never was”? A deception like this is sooo British. See how successful it was – twenty years later it is still argued over!

GarryB likes this post

Aberdeenlad

Post  Aberdeenlad Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:55 am

"The man who never was" Classic deception.
    I could actually see Britain doing that in the Falklands Conflict, but not with regards to Invincible. In this case they have 2 argie pilots who swear blind they attacked and bombed a carrier burning after it had been hit by an exocet fired at extreme range. HMS Coventry and HMS Exeter both fired Sea Dart missiles at extreme range, both missiles fell short, it shows how unreliable missiles are when fired at the maximum distance. Now I'm not saying that the argies didn’t attempt to attack Invincible, what I'm saying is they didn’t hit Invincible. Nobody is casting any doubts about the bravery of some of the argie pilots, but I am casting severe doubt on the claims of this 2 argie pilots, as far as I'm concerned they are out and out liars. What I also cast doubt on is the intelligence of people like Soltec, who seem to be unable to comprehend the magnitude of their claims. The argies were told by the Junta that they were winning the war right up to the point Argentina surrendered, they were told lie after lie, yet Soltec and other argies like him believe everything the Junta said in 1982. The argies even claimed they sunk Canberra, yet she took the PoWs back to Argentina, the claimed they sunk HMS Fearless, yet a captured FAA pilot was taken onboard, I remember the interview, the pilot asked what ship he was on, when told it was Fearless he said " It cant be, we sank her 3 days ago", plenty argie conscripts interviewed after 1982 have said many of the same things "we were lied to" yet these conspiracy theorists believe everything that the Junta said, even without any evidence being supplied to them, just the word of 2 pilots who I believe turned and ran for home when they saw their mates being shot down.
    soltec
    soltec

Post  soltec Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:24 am

Aberdeenlad wrote: on the first page of this thread you said Argentina made the photo, make up your mind.
    The only lies are coming from Argentina, you guys dont have any evidence what so ever, not one scrap.

first learn to read or buy lenses Laughing
    read again in first page:
    The same was supplied from outside to various news agencies, a few days after the attack.
    In Argentina, this picture was not known and many took it as an example of the attack.
    soltec
    soltec

Post  soltec Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:06 am

Kysusha wrote:BTW, I think we need to clarify one thing here - The Islands are THE FALKLAND ISLANDS, not Los Malvianas. Maybe Argies Los Malvianas - but the Atlas calls the island British territory and by name - The Falkand Islands. Don't cry for me Argentina.
    Malvinas is the original name. derived from "Malouines", name fixed from the french discover Louis Antoine Bougainville in 1764.
    in 1766 France agreed to evacuate and recognized Spanish sovereignty over the isles at change to provided compensation to Bougainville.
    From 1820 our territory just independient from Spain (1816) made the real occupation of isles giving support to a lot nations that have ships around isles as a friendly demostration of our new country.

Comptroller activities that Argentinian Governor Vernet waged against illegal whaling ships made the warship of the United States Lexington destroyed the mayor city in isles, Puerto Soledad. On January 2, 1833 was the British frigate HMS Clio, the command of Captain John James Onslow, savagely attacked by second time the civilian population Argentinian of the islands and claimed British sovereignty, taking possession of the Malvinas and forcibly expelling the population defenseless.

You are free to call as you preffer our isles.
    All publications from argentina and friendly countries call ISLAS MALVINAS
    The islands were, are and will Argentinians

if not, the United Nations would no possibility of complaint to our country.
    UK systematically denied to the peaceful settlement of this case covered colonialism in its nuclear weapons and NATO cooperation
    soltec
    soltec

Post  soltec Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:25 am

Aberdeenlad wrote:That’s a good post mate. What we have to differentiate is what deception is and what is lies. In war (as you will know) you don’t tell the truth, except in circumstances where all you can do is tell the truth, Sheffield, Coventry etc. Deception is sweeping back the dirt onto the runway. Now this whole story about HMS Invincible being sunk was denied during the Falklands conflict by the RN and the media onboard, infact the media were still sending back reports from onboard HMS Invincible after the argies surrendered. A couple of pages back from this one I posted pictures of HMS Invincible taken in July 1982, long after the silly argie claims that they sank her, infact, the FAA don’t claim to have sunk HMS Invincible, all they claim is they hit her, only these conspiracy theorists like Soltec claim Vince was sunk.

My take on this is that these people can’t handle the fact they lost a war, BADLY!! They lost to a smaller force that travelled 8000 miles by sea and won every single battle on the Falklands, the only saving grace for the argies was the performance of the FAA and for some strange reason they think they should invent stories to make the FAA look better than it was.

Look at Soltec’s posts, he’s living in a dream world, he’s posting pictures of destroyers and claiming they are a ship that was back in Portsmouth. I posted a picture showing Invincible with Illustrious in the South Atlantic, and he claims that it’s really Illustrious and Ark Royal, despite me also posting a picture showing Illustrious leaving the Tyne with a half built Ark Royal in the background.

Despite numerous requests for evidence from Soltec, I have still received no proof at all. dunno

precisely, I do not speak for our armed forces, it makes me work harder to investigate but I have nothing to hide or claim that is not strictly based on my information.
    I say that Vince went down and am working to prove
    UK has 4 completely different versions of what happened and can not show any 100% Laughing Laughing Laughing
    and they have all the power of media and TV to sell their own history.

If you trust in UK goverment please post photo of the change of turbines at sea of R05 Invincible in 1982.
    Is easy ?? Razz Razz Razz If they dont lie, they have the proof

soltec
    soltec

Post  soltec Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:32 am

Aberdeenlad wrote:
    This changing a turbine sure is playing on your mind. Can you tell me once and for all, do you actually have any evidence that you hit Invincible, never mind sunk her? dunno

turbine change is one of the 4 explanations contradictory offered by the British government.
    The change of turbines is not my invention. Razz Razz Razz
    I also think it's a lie. Wink
    Consultation with other sailors if having an available port, would change the turbine on the high seas, in time of winter storms

Wink
    Kysusha
    Kysusha

Post  Kysusha Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:59 am

My opinion is, the people of the land will determine the name of the land. While the Falklands are inhanited by British and British decendants - it will remain The Falklands. Any attempt to usurp that will have to be by force and as such - an illegal move and contraraty to International Law.
    If Argentina want the Islands back, then they need to settle the Islands and work with the population to effect constitutional change. Personaly, I couldn't care one way or the other: I'm Irish and have had enough of colonuialism anyway! What I oppose is rule by might - and that is percicely what Argentina tried to do!
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:10 am

If Argentina wants the islands back, they need to take out the MP airfield and land a couple battalions. If the UK is able to reinforce the island they don't have a prayer.
    Aberdeenlad

Post  Aberdeenlad Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:56 am

soltec wrote:
    Aberdeenlad wrote:
    This changing a turbine sure is playing on your mind. Can you tell me once and for all, do you actually have any evidence that you hit Invincible, never mind sunk her? dunno

turbine change is one of the 4 explanations contradictory offered by the British government.
    The change of turbines is not my invention. Razz Razz Razz
    I also think it's a lie. Wink
    Consultation with other sailors if having an available port, would change the turbine on the high seas, in time of winter storms

Wink

Your still on about a turbine change!!! Why dont you just post your evidence to prove once and for all that you sunk Invincible?
    soltec
    soltec

Post  soltec Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:35 pm

Kysusha wrote:My opinion is, the people of the land will determine the name of the land. While the Falklands are inhanited by British and British decendants - it will remain The Falklands. Any attempt to usurp that will have to be by force and as such - an illegal move and contraraty to International Law.
    If Argentina want the Islands back, then they need to settle the Islands and work with the population to effect constitutional change. Personaly, I couldn't care one way or the other: I'm Irish and have had enough of colonuialism anyway! What I oppose is rule by might - and that is percicely what Argentina tried to do!

Studies which were the events that triggered the conflict.
    UK arrested Argentine civilians that working in the Georgias islands and caused the Argentina military response.
    UK diplomatically refused to fix it because it suited him.
    In full diplomatic negotiations sinking the cruiser ARA General Belgrano with 360 dead.
    That was the response to diplomacy, a nuclear submarine attack on a vessel of the WW II. pirat

If UK is just sovereignty over the islands, why fears UN decisions about our Islas Malvinas?
    soltec
    soltec

Post  soltec Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:39 pm

Vladimir79 wrote:If Argentina wants the islands back, they need to take out the MP airfield and land a couple battalions. If the UK is able to reinforce the island they don't have a prayer.
    Argentinian armed forces have the most powerfull enemy at home, our president.
    She disband all forces.
    Actually our forces only have amunitions to 2 hours of real combat cry
    Dont fear uk Laughing
    Tsavo Lion
    Tsavo Lion

Post  Tsavo Lion Sun May 03, 2020 8:12 pm

Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Sun May 10, 2020 11:41 pm

News from the past Very Happy

The First Casualty - Falklands War History
    ·
    16h
    May 10th: #OTD in the #Falklands war, a 100 mile Exclusion Zone is declared around Ascension, as Soviet aircraft and submarines have been in the area. This is an actual photo of Ascension taken from a Soviet sub at the time. They got close, and were passing Intel to Argentina.

Malvinas War in 1982 - Page 7 Exo33w10
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Mon May 11, 2020 9:48 am

They got close, and were passing Intel to Argentina.

Why not?

The Soviets are not obliged to help the UK maintain its tentacles on its colonies around the world...
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Mon May 11, 2020 4:09 pm

Isos wrote:News from the past Very Happy

The First Casualty - Falklands War History
    ·
    16h
    May 10th: #OTD in the #Falklands war, a 100 mile Exclusion Zone is declared around Ascension, as Soviet aircraft and submarines have been in the area. This is an actual photo of Ascension taken from a Soviet sub at the time. They got close, and were passing Intel to Argentina.

That photo, not what it seems

Capt(N)
    @Capt_Navy
    ·
    6h
    This photo was taken from the Zaporozh`ye, a Primor'ye Class of intelligence collection ship during a deployment in the Atlantic in the spring and summer of 1982. The claim about the submarine is just fake.
    Eugenio Argentina
    Eugenio Argentina

Post  Eugenio Argentina Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:04 pm

A few weeks ago, in a facebook group, they brought up this issue of the sinking of the Invincible again. I did not know that they had made a thread on this forum.

Eugenio Argentina
    Eugenio Argentina

Malvinas War in 1982 - Page 7 Empty Operation Rosario.

Post  Eugenio Argentina Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:34 pm

Operation Rosario.

Malvinas War in 1982 - Page 7 Malvinas-Portaviones-ARA-25-de-Mayo
    aircraft carrier ARA “25 de Mayo”

On March 28, the Amphibious Task Force 40 (FT 40) under the command of Rear Admiral Walter Oscar Allara set sail from the Puerto Belgrano Naval Base.
    Operation Rosario began, for the recovery of our Malvinas Islands.

Malvinas, D-Day: Operation Rosario, a furious storm and the adrenaline of the landing on April 2, 1982
    That day, 40 years ago, Argentine troops set foot in the Malvinas, but the preparations and the war of nerves had begun long before, in the utmost secrecy. One of those protagonists was Roberto Reyes, then a young second lieutenant, who felt that he did not deserve everything that was happening to him. Day by day of a military operation that had been months in the making
    Adrian Pignatelli
    By
    Adrian Pignatelli

It happened on Friday, March 26, 1982. The officers of the 25th Infantry Regiment listened intently to Lieutenant Colonel Mohamed Alí Seineldín, who was accompanied by the head of the engineering company. In the midst of a reverential silence they attended to the orders and instructions that he was giving them in the situation room, with the sand table where the actions were planned. They were being informed that the recovery operation for the Malvinas Islands had been launched. One of those young officers was Second Lieutenant Roberto Reyes. He was 24 years old and felt that he received more than he deserved.

A few days before, on February 1, 1982, Seineldín had learned that the 25th Regiment, which he was in command, would be the only Army unit that would make up the landing force. He had to execute the action plan.

The incident that began on March 19 in Port Leith, on the Georgia Islands, when workers from an Argentine company went to dismantle a whaling factory, precipitated the events. On the 23rd, the Navy, which had been working on the project since the previous year, had already been asked about the earliest date to carry out the operation.

On the afternoon of the 25th, the Military Junta had ordered that the fleet should depart on the 28th at noon and that on April 1 they would disembark on the islands. Between the 26th and the 28th the ships that would participate were duly supplied.

Company C of the 25th Regiment, led by First Lieutenant Carlos Esteban, would participate in the landing force. It was made up of the “Bote” sections under the command of Lieutenant Roberto Estevez and “Romeo” under Second Lieutenant Juan José Gómez Centurión, which would lead an amphibious operation to control and occupy Darwin. A third section, called “Gato,” under the command of Second Lieutenant Roberto Reyes, would be responsible for an airmobile operation to capture the governor.

Malvinas War in 1982 - Page 7 Malvinas-OR-DestructorARASantisimaTrinidad
    destroyer ARA “Santísima Trinidad”

While Seineldín was giving his orders, that March 26, Gómez Centurión secretly removed the cast from his hand that he had been wearing for days due to an accident he had suffered. He didn't want to be left out of the historic day for anything in the world.

They had to prepare his equipment quickly, since in a few more hours they would leave. Seineldín gave them an order that some even took with annoyance: they had to carry their saber because they were going to go to battle.

On Saturday, March 27, they went by plane to the Comandante Espora air-naval base and the next day, at sunrise, they boarded the fleet.

Sunday the 28th was a radiant day. At night the Cabo San Antonio, a tank transport ship, began to rock. She had set sail that day from Puerto Belgrano carrying part of the landing force.

Malvinas War in 1982 - Page 7 Malvinas-OR-CaboSanAntonio
    landing ship “Cabo San Antonio”

On the 29th, the 30th and the 31st they endured a southwesterly storm that the embarked infantry troops had never even dreamed of having to face.

The operation had to be “bloodless, surprising and short-lived.” The landing force was made up of Cape San Antonio; the transport ship Islands of the States; the Almirante Irízar Icebreaker; the Santa Fe Submarine; the frigates Santísima Trinidad and Hércules and the corvettes Drummond and Granville. Further away, the 25 de Mayo aircraft carrier, its Aeronaval Group and the continent's air force bases.

Malvinas War in 1982 - Page 7 Malvinas-OR-CorbetaARAGuerrico
    ARA corvette “Guerrico”

Those from Reyes would be the only Army troops to participate in the actions in Puerto Argentino that Friday, April 2. He was to assemble with the soldiers incorporated two months earlier a light faction with good firepower and rapid deployment. Everyone understood that they were part of something important. They couldn't believe what they were experiencing.

In the five-story dormitories with bunks of the San Antonio, the 37 troops of the 25th Regiment were accommodated in the small space separated by narrow corridors and poor ventilation. The first task they addressed was improving the stowage of materials.

The ship, a mass 144 meters long, moved a lot in the choppy sea. The dizziness and discomfort of those who were used to moving with their feet on the ground immediately took their toll. What they still did not know is that the wobbles would last until the day of disembarkation.

Malvinas War in 1982 - Page 7 Malvinas-OR-SubmarinoARASantaFe
    ARA submarine “Santa Fe”

The officers tried to keep their men busy. Defense practices against fire and abandonment of the ship were carried out on the upper decks. The soldiers did not know where they were going. They speculated about a conflict with Chile or that they were going to the aid of a Central American country. They were sailing south and, upon reaching Río Gallegos, they would head towards the islands.

If the first day the sea was rough, on the second the conditions worsened to such a point that the violent inclinations of the ship to port and starboard alternately lifted the soldiers from the ground and threw them against the walls. Those who could did some physical exercises and others cleaned the weapons. They prayed to reach their destination as quickly as possible. Few paid attention to the three shifts to eat. There were people who didn't eat anything those five days.

Fearing that the storm would cause the operation to be suspended, Lieutenant Colonel Seineldín proposed to Admiral Carlos Büsser, commander of the landing force, to change the name of the operation, baptized "Blue." Seineldín recalled that in 1806, during the first English invasion, the forces that Santiago de Liniers had gathered in Colonia and had embarked with the bow to Buenos Aires, had been left at the mercy of a southeasterly force. Liniers put his forces to protect the Virgin of the Rosary. They were able to reach port safely while the English ships that tried to prevent them suffered serious damage.

From then on, the operation was renamed Rosario.

On the third day of navigation, the leaders of the factions that would disembark were summoned to carry out rehearsals for the actions they would deploy on D-Day. Second Lieutenant Reyes received cartography and other details to adjust the raid they had to carry out on the governor's house. The young officer had to explain how he would carry out this operation and the corresponding adjustments were made.

Malvinas War in 1982 - Page 7 GJxYiDKWsAM5Sqq?format=jpg&name=medium
    The LVTP 7 amphibious vehicles used in the landing, in the Cabo San Antonio warehouse.

He was all ready for the planned landing on April 1.

On the fourth day, Büsser decided to postpone the landing until the next day. The English had detected the Argentine forces and were preparing the defense, fortifying areas of interest. The tactical surprise had been lost.

The missions were changed. The western area of Yorke Bay would be used as a landing site; tactical divers who came on the submarine Santa Fe had to mark the landing beach; The order to seize public services, at that point reinforced by the British, was cancelled; It was decided that the Seineldín troops would take control of the airport runway and not the Air Force personnel, as planned; the tactical and amphibious commands would head to the governor's house; another group of commandos were to take over the Moody Brook barracks.

The helicopter that was supposed to transport Reyes and his section had been damaged due to navigation. So, instead of taking the house of Governor Rex Hunt, it was determined that they should take over the airport, eliminating the English resistance and clearing the runway, strewn with vehicles and machinery left by the Royal Marines and they had also turned off the San Felipe lighthouse. The amphibious commandos would man the governor's residence.

Reyes and his men then had to familiarize themselves with boarding and disembarking practices of the tracked amphibious vehicle (CAV) with which they would travel to the beach. VAO 10 had capacity for 26 members of the section; The remaining 11 would support the landing from the San Antonio. The adrenaline made them forget about the dizziness.

At 6 p.m. on April 1, after hearing mass over a loudspeaker, it was the commander of the landing force who revealed the objective of the mission. At the Holy Trinity the same message was read at the same time. There was excitement, joy, shouts of joy and cheers for the country. That night the sea had calmed down, but no one slept.

At dawn on the 2nd, the movements through the narrow corridors of the lower decks were incessant. The hold of the ship was filled with the smell of the running engines of the amphibious vehicles. The orders and shouts mixed with the scream of the radios searching for frequencies. The lights remained off.

Reyes ordered his men to put on their life jackets. When Sergeant Colque finished distributing them, his look said it all: there was none for him or Reyes. They prayed they wouldn't have to need them.

Malvinas War in 1982 - Page 7 Ej_op_rosario_a
    Map of Operation Rosario

At 5:30 Reyes and his men were ready. This is what they told Seineldín, who harangued them. His words were interrupted by the order that came from the hold's speakers: time to board.

Radio silence had been ordered inside the amphibious vehicles; The side and upper doors were closed and the soldiers were able to guess the faces of their companions thanks to a faint red interior light. In silence they waited for the order to “first wave into the water.”

Between 6:05 and 6:10 the bow hatches opened, the noise of the engines seemed to attenuate and the smoke from the 21 vehicles dissipated due to the change in air. Minutes later the men felt the vehicle taxi and suddenly found themselves floating. Seineldín had ordered the soldier Juan Pessaresi to record Cala Cuerda, a rifle march executed by the patriots during the English invasions.

Malvinas War in 1982 - Page 7 T7CY32PXKZE7LCV6TP7EMBHEJA
    Captured British flag.

The amphibious vehicles headed toward “Playa Rojo W”, the point where they would disembark. That place had been secured hours before by tactical divers taken by the Santa Fe submarine.

They realized that they were not receiving fire, although in the distance they could hear shots in the direction of the city. Reyes had ordered the deck covers to be removed from the vehicle and, in the middle of an incredibly calm sea, illuminated by the sparkles of dawn, he saw the lights of Puerto Argentino. He looked back at the landing fleet.

The cries of joy returned when they felt that the caterpillars had touched the rocks and were moving across the sand. They were in Malvinas.

Troops from the Marine Infantry Battalion No. 2 and Reyes and his section headed to the airport. They found it empty and the Royal Marines had not even left booby traps. They dedicated themselves to removing around thirty machines and trucks that were obstructing the runway.

Then, he received the order to rake one of the streets of Puerto Argentino, in the direction of the governor's house. They had to capture the English soldiers they found, and take special care not to cause casualties in the population. They only found two British paramedics who were heading to the hospital to treat the first wounded.

Malvinas War in 1982 - Page 7 CKGXW6URCFD3FFBMZD4QN7VA2E
    The amphibious vehicle 10 in which the Reyes section disembarked. In the foreground you can see Seineldín and behind, in a beret, Second Lieutenant Reyes.

The Argentines had their first casualty, Lieutenant Commander Pedro Giacchino, when a shootout broke out with marines entrenched in the governor's house. In that action, frigate lieutenant Diego García Quiroga and first corporal Ernesto Urbina were wounded.

While the commander of the landing force was meeting with the governor at his residence and in the garden the Royal Marines were guarded by amphibious commandos, the Hercules landed, transporting the rest of the 25th Regiment. And troops arrived at the airport transported by helicopter from the Irízar.

Around noon, a formation was held in the patio of the house to officially materialize the recovery of the islands. During the preparations the halyard was cut from the mast, and Second Lieutenant Reyes climbed to the top to hook it. Some interpreted it as a bad omen.

“Good morning, Argentines,” de facto president Leopoldo Galtieri greeted his cabinet at 7:30. The new governor, General Mario Benjamín Menéndez, was present. Minutes before 10 in the morning, the Military Junta issued the first statement: “The Armed Forces, in a joint action, in order to recover for the national heritage the territories of the Malvinas, Georgias and South Sandwich Islands, "They are engaged in combat to achieve the stated objective."

People gathered in the Plaza de Mayo and after 2:30 in the afternoon, Galtieri looked out on the balcony. "We will accept dialogue after this forceful action, but with the conviction that dignity and national pride must be maintained at all costs and at any price." Then he went out into the square and mingled with the people.

Puerto Stanley quickly changed to Puerto Rivero, in honor of Gaucho Rivero, and as of April 16, the capital was officially named Puerto Argentino.

Seineldín, the same one who had ordered his officers to carry their sabers, a symbol of command, and the one who proposed changing the name of the operation, went to the head of the airport runway and with a formation watching him, dug a hole and buried a rosary beads. They were in Malvinas. The war had begun.

https://www.infobae.com/sociedad/2022/04/01/malvinas-dia-d-la-operacion-rosario-una-furiosa-tormenta-y-la-adrenalina-del-desembarco-del-2-de-abril-de-1982/

Malvinas War in 1982 - Page 7 OBSOMO6BYFHYJPOQLAAC2WMICE
    Raising of the flag in Puerto Argentino.

Cool

GarryB likes this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:11 am

Nice to hear about history from a different perspective...
    Mir
    Mir

Post  Mir Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:28 am

@Eugenio Argentina

Maggie was very upset at the news Laughing

Hindsight is always easy but it would have been better for Argentina to have waited a few more years. By then they would have had a couple more destroyers and corvettes and the then state of the art TR-1700 submarines would have been available. All the Exocet's would have been delivered as well.

Apparently a technician fumbled the wiring on the German torpedoes for the one operational Type-209 at that time. All the torpedoes that were launched against the British failed.

I think the reason why the then government attacked in 1982 was mostly trying to draw the attention away from domestic issues?

GarryB likes this post

JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:02 am

Remember it well. I sold extra computer gear to the RAF because of it and my brother was a senior air movements officer in the MoD.

Whilst it may have been convenient as a distraction politically the prime reason was that as far as our PTB were concerned this was a tin pot little country putting the mighty British forces out of joint. They had to respond and win or accept that Britain was no longer the power that it once was. A situation that even today they cannot come to terms with.

In my brother's view the most significant event in the war was the sinking of the Atlantic Conveyor cargo ship

GarryB likes this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:51 am

I think the reason why the then government attacked in 1982 was mostly trying to draw the attention away from domestic issues?

You could probably argue that both countries had problems and they saw this as a solution to delaying dealing with those issues...

Femenists will tell you that all the wars around the world are because of men being in charge.... they are too aggressive and too keen to fight to solve their differences instead of talking... well I guess Maggie was the exception to that rule...

Malvinas War in 1982 - Page 7 Thatch10

A Spitting Image Sock Puppet... the problem these days is that the actual western politicians are more ridiculous than the satire... how can comedy writers be more absurd than Boris Johnson or Creepy Joe Biden?

JohninMK likes this post

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:40 pm