Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+11
kvs
GarryB
JohninMK
Werewolf
PhSt
flamming_python
Rodion_Romanovic
limb
caveat emptor
Walther von Oldenburg
The-thing-next-door
15 posters

Russian territories.

Rodion_Romanovic
    Rodion_Romanovic

Russian territories. - Page 2 Empty Re: Russian territories.

Post  Rodion_Romanovic Sun May 05, 2024 11:59 am

Do you believe that Sevastopol (third Federal city in Russia, as only Moscow and St Petersburg), will be enlarged to (incentives to relocation, investments, etc) to be more than 1 million inhabitants? Or that it is better to keep  it a bit smaller, and of a size around 500 -600 thousand? (I.e. just about 20% larger than now?)

Furthermore when (when, not if) Minsk and Kiev will finally return to Russia, which status should they have? Just as administrative center of their oblasts and possibly administrative center of new federal districts (like Ekaterinburg which is the administrative center of Sverdlovsk Oblast and of the Ural federal district) or as federal cities as well (like Sankt Petersburg)?

Eventually probably at least one or two new federal district could be created (i.e. western several district with Minsk and western Ukraine) and maybe southwestern district (with Kiev and the rest of former ukrainian oblasts not included in the southern or in the in the western district).

Finally, is it already clear to which federal district do the new regions in novorossia belong? Southern federal district, which adminstrative center is Rostov on Don, and that includes also Crimea and Sevastopol, or if a new federal district will be created?
    Probably at least Donetsk, Lugansk and eventually Kharkov will be added to the one headed by Rostov. The other oblasts I do not know.

The-thing-next-door likes this post

flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Sun May 05, 2024 1:36 pm

Rodion_Romanovic wrote:Do you believe that Sevastopol (third Federal city in Russia, as only Moscow and St Petersburg), will be enlarged to (incentives to relocation, investments, etc) to be more than 1 million inhabitants? Or that it is better to keep  it a bit smaller, and of a size around 500 -600 thousand? (I.e. just about 20% larger than now?)

Furthermore when (when, not if) Minsk and Kiev will finally return to Russia, which status should they have? Just as administrative center of their oblasts and possibly administrative center of new federal districts (like Ekaterinburg which is the administrative center of Sverdlovsk Oblast and of the Ural federal district) or as federal cities as well (like Sankt Petersburg)?

Eventually probably at least one or two new federal district could be created (i.e. western several district with Minsk and western Ukraine) and maybe southwestern district (with Kiev and the rest of former ukrainian oblasts not included in the southern or in the in the western district).

Finally, is it already clear to which federal district do the new regions in novorossia belong? Southern federal district, which adminstrative center is Rostov on Don, and that includes also Crimea and Sevastopol, or if a new federal district will be created?
    Probably at least Donetsk, Lugansk and eventually Kharkov will be added to the one headed by Rostov. The other oblasts I do not know.

I don't see the conditions under which Sevastopol can grow much larger. For one thing it's kind of hemmed in by the geography around it; it's surrounded by rolling hills and forest. For another it's main significance is still military, not economic, or touristic. It offers little in the later 2 regards, of course unless you're a WW2 history buff.. but either way you'll take a day trip there rather than spending your vacation there. There are many other towns and small cities in the Crimea for vacationing, residence, artisanship and work. The reason why it's a separate federal subject from the Crimea is part historic and part political.

The Crimea is a popular place for relocation for Russians and has a wondrous climate, but there is no one city there that dominates. Instead there are a couple mid-size ones (Simferopol and Sevastopol) and a bunch of small ones (Yalta, Evpatoria, Feodosia, Kerch). There are also a bunch of resort towns or historical townships; for example Saky, Bakhchisarai, Balaklava, Alupka, Alushta, Sudak and so on. So it's fair to say that the Crimean peninsula's population will increase pretty evenly, without a bias towards just 1-2 cities as you might find in some other regions.

GarryB likes this post

Hole
    Hole

Post  Hole Sun May 05, 2024 4:37 pm

I saw a video on Youtube lately that claimed Sevastopol grew a lot (population) since 2014.
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Sun May 05, 2024 5:01 pm

Hole wrote:I saw a video on Youtube lately that claimed Sevastopol grew a lot (population) since 2014.

Probably. But I don't see it getting to a million people. It has some investment for sure, but the other factors I mentioned work against it. Well we'll see of course.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:08 pm